Picked up my first two shifts via agency. Bricking it .com

Hi guys ive spoke about this elsewhere here but I managed to pick up two days work, Monday and Tuesday next week. It was initailly for a potential ongoing job with them via the agency and potential to stay full time but after finding out the pay is from £7.5 with £15 daily bonus (not sure how that works yet) I dont think its worth quitting my full time non driving job yet. They also wanted me to up and leave my job of four years without notice. Or that could well be the agency talking!

Anyway its experience Ill take it!! better than paying for a refresher course!!

Its delivering fax and vending machines. Double manned so i need to brush up on that part of my driving hours knowledge!

As I have taken Monday and Tuesday off as Holiday at my current job will this still be classed as full work at my work and also work on the agency on the same day? surely not? my week will be
Mon driving 6am - finish (about 8 hours)
Tues as above
Wed-fri normal work 7-3pm.
weekend off.

any issues please let me know.
The agency told me just to wear safety shoes and dark clothes. Do they have to be toe capped? got a pair but not nice to drive in.

Any other tips I would appreciate. I am obviously going to take my time and hope It doesnt £$% the co worker off but 8 months is longer than I wanted but just not got the break yet! Do i need to write my previous week down on the back of printed paper. I have a spare tacho roll already, sat nav and map lol. Having a co worker may work in my favour as I can pick his brains a little.!

Ive got my first shift on sunday mate,alone mind.

I plan on wearing my safety boots but im taking my trainers too. As far as im aware boots are only essential at the depots and sites,when youre in your cab you can drive in just your pants if you see fit,though possibly not if its double manned!

GhostRider17:

I plan on wearing my safety boots but im taking my trainers too. As far as im aware boots are only essential at the depots and sites,when youre in your cab you can drive in just your pants if you see fit,though possibly not if its double manned!

good luck mate, any ideas what your doing?

i guess wearing speedos and flip flops may freak the ther guy out then? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

biker10:

GhostRider17:

i guess wearing speedos and flip flops may freak the ther guy out then? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers pal,you too.

Im working for yearsleys,taking a load,dropping off at destination,then taking the truck back to the depo. Hope it goes without a hitch.

First shift is always hectic mine is 5th shift tonight. Transport will probably send me to a new depot a bit of nerve recking finding a new place. Good luck

If it ain’t got Air-Con, don’t be a ■■■■■, go bollock naked mate! :sunglasses:
:laughing:

Yes take your steelie’s with you, and I’d probably drive in them to save changing. Most people do…

As for the agency, or employer wanting you to quit your normal job, just feed them any old crap that keeps things ticking along.
Yes it may go against YOUR morals, but agencies don’t possess these, so you shouldn’t either! :wink:
The meal allowance is basically a tax fiddle mate, and used to basically bump your rate up.
Don’t for a second believe the agency if they say 8 hours, it will probably be more.
With double manning, the person in the passenger seat (slot 2 on the tacho) will be on POA when the wheels are in motion. When stopped and the passenger is required to work, the tacho should be changed to ‘other work’. If/when you swap drivers, swap the cards!
Don’t forget your WTD breaks!

I see it as a bonus that you’re with someone else, as you can learn from them.
Be honest about your experience and knowledge, and ask as many questions as you can.

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:
If it ain’t got Air-Con, don’t be a ■■■■■, go bollock naked mate! :sunglasses:
:laughing:

Yes take your steelie’s with you, and I’d probably drive in them to save changing. Most people do…

As for the agency, or employer wanting you to quit your normal job, just feed them any old crap that keeps things ticking along.
Yes it may go against YOUR morals, but agencies don’t possess these, so you shouldn’t either! :wink:
The meal allowance is basically a tax fiddle mate, and used to basically bump your rate up.
Don’t for a second believe the agency if they say 8 hours, it will probably be more.
With double manning, the person in the passenger seat (slot 2 on the tacho) will be on POA when the wheels are in motion. When stopped and the passenger is required to work, the tacho should be changed to ‘other work’. If/when you swap drivers, swap the cards!
Don’t forget your WTD breaks!

completely agree with the above!!

I reckon I will hit the WTD of a break after 6 hours as I cant see us both doing too much driving if its a 8 hour shift.
I need to read up on a few bits but like you say im using it for what i can get out of it. I expect he will drive first although I could be wrong. I need to check out a few gearboxes as i passed in a auto but did a single lesson in a 4 on 4 split so not too much in the way of gearboxes although I dint find the 4 on 4 split too hard at the time.
I see it as a bonus that you’re with someone else, as you can learn from them.
Be honest about your experience and knowledge, and ask as many questions as you can.

GhostRider17:

biker10:

GhostRider17:

Cheers pal,you too.

Im working for yearsleys,taking a load,dropping off at destination,then taking the truck back to the depo. Hope it goes without a hitch.

doesnt sound too bad at least its a single drop not looking forward to multi drop jobs but beggers cant be choosers!!

crazyplay:
First shift is always hectic mine is 5th shift tonight. Transport will probably send me to a new depot a bit of nerve recking finding a new place. Good luck

good luck mate, cant be doing too bad after 5 shifts.! :smiley: I picked up a sat nav ages ago but i know they are not 100% just a guide.

If the shift is only 8 hrs the extra man you’ll have with you will be there just to help lifting the machines I imagine. So don’t expect them to be a driver and you might wanna brush up on your polish.
You get used to wearing steelies so I wouldn’t bother taking trainers too.
Good luck mate stay calm and enjoy it.

Nate187:
If the shift is only 8 hrs the extra man you’ll have with you will be there just to help lifting the machines I imagine. So don’t expect them to be a driver and you might wanna brush up on your polish.
You get used to wearing steelies so I wouldn’t bother taking trainers too.
Good luck mate stay calm and enjoy it.

thanks, well time will tell. I will keep you all up to date so should be a laugh :smiley:

shift starts at 6am! dont mind early. Told the agency I wouldnt be taking the job due to rubbish wage but they said still go and try it out so sod it, its experience. Had a ride down to the site so i know where im going and its only 4 mile away so shame its no good. Surely if agency is paying say £8 an hour the agency must be charging around £13 for the service? so surely they could pay more for a full timer?? Truck is a M.A.N model if thats any good■■? only experience other than a car with gearboxes I have is a 4x4 slapside. I got that ok but just watching a you tube vid on a 16 speed and crapped my self lol. I need to watch the vid again tomorrow like 10 times! not getting the half gear bit and using two switches along with having to dip the clutch everytime!
Just going though my tacho training too by way of you tube hahaha.

Hope its as easy as doing my knee down course on the motorbike the other week :laughing: :laughing:
Ill be watching the racing tomorrow then stuck in front of the laptop :laughing:

6am is pretty normal for most driving shifts it seems, although I guess if living in London people might be able to start a little later. Wait until you get 4am starts to Cornwall. :slight_smile:

Never actually used a 4 over 4 gearbox, but from everything I read and saw you can usually ignore the half gear split switch and just use the other one for now. That double de-cluthing sounds like a really old gearbox and most seem to be standard single de-clutch like your car these days. There’s info on the top of this forum about gearbox usages. Unless I’ve missed something it could easily be an auto anyway.

MAN trucks - some like them some don’t, probably much of a muchness.

Best of luck to you mate. I passed class 2 on an auto and im using the same with a drag for my class 1 so I have this whole gearbox confusion to come.

You’ll be fine pal, and it’s experience even if is the money isn’t great…
I doubt the agency are making a fiver on top though pal, as it’s a cut throat business and they are all out to undercut each other to supply drivers.
If it helps I’ve never driven/seen a manual MAN, just Auto’s as that’s the normal choice for better fuel efficiency. The gearbox is slow to respond and won’t be rushed, so take your time as the gearbox won’t give you the choice when trying to select reverse! :laughing:
You’re with another driver anyway and I suggest you try to let him drive first for a little while, and then ask to take over…

trevHCS:
6am is pretty normal for most driving shifts it seems, although I guess if living in London people might be able to start a little later. Wait until you get 4am starts to Cornwall. :slight_smile:

Never actually used a 4 over 4 gearbox, but from everything I read and saw you can usually ignore the half gear split switch and just use the other one for now. That double de-cluthing sounds like a really old gearbox and most seem to be standard single de-clutch like your car these days. There’s info on the top of this forum about gearbox usages. Unless I’ve missed something it could easily be an auto anyway.

MAN trucks - some like them some don’t, probably much of a muchness.

ive been told a lot are autos- Fingers crossed. be happy if you can ignore the half gear split for now lol

rebel1012:
Best of luck to you mate. I passed class 2 on an auto and im using the same with a drag for my class 1 so I have this whole gearbox confusion to come.

thanks mate. hopefully mine will still be an auto! fun and games ahead. hoping to do the class 1 in a year or so just need to get in a truck first. :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:
You’ll be fine pal, and it’s experience even if is the money isn’t great…
I doubt the agency are making a fiver on top though pal, as it’s a cut throat business and they are all out to undercut each other to supply drivers.
If it helps I’ve never driven/seen a manual MAN, just Auto’s as that’s the normal choice for better fuel efficiency. The gearbox is slow to respond and won’t be rushed, so take your time as the gearbox won’t give you the choice when trying to select reverse! :laughing:
You’re with another driver anyway and I suggest you try to let him drive first for a little while, and then ask to take over…

not got a clue on trucking agency but in catering ive been on both ends. i used to do shifts for £8.50 and at my place I hire from them and it costs us £13.50 and the lads get £8- £8.50. mad as cheese!
Im honestly not arsed over the money as its not my full time job at the minute. Id do it for £6 for now lol bit of luck it will be an auto if not it will be interesting! will let you all know how it goes! as long as i do actually get a go and dont end up just a drivers mate!

■■■■■■■ 6am , that’s a lay in you ■■■■■ not early?! Ask evil what early’s are and myself lol. Best of luck on your first shift pal just take your time don’t rush or panic. You have someone with you which is a massive bonus so you ask them 100 questions if they speak English?! Like its been said before class 2 mans are normally auto if manual the worst they will be is 4 over 4 most likely so not that bad! Good luck!

ash 001:
[zb] 6am , that’s a lay in you ■■■■■ not early?! Ask evil what early’s are and myself lol. Best of luck on your first shift pal just take your time don’t rush or panic. You have someone with you which is a massive bonus so you ask them 100 questions if they speak English?! Like its been said before class 2 mans are normally auto if manual the worst they will be is 4 over 4 most likely so not that bad! Good luck!

hay i would rather do earlier, less traffic lol. I applied for a couple of night jobs but as usual no one loves me :laughing:

Im gonna get in around 5:30am. My plan is to turn the cab on stick my card in check thats working and do the walk round checks whilst its in “other work” mode. This way I have proof of doing my daily checks. Then after the checks away we go. Ive just been playing with the digital tachograph simulator to get some idea. if the other guy is in later say 6am but i get the keys could i just stick my card in the second slot and get on with the checks? not sure if that might annoy the other guy if he likes doing it himself also? maybe best wait and do it together.