Photos of Trucks from Tasmania and Australia

Mushroomman some very nice trucks the one that really caught my eye is the K series with the 5 bar gate and air start possibly a Cat 3408 and I reckon that would be quite an old truck but certainly a credit to its owner.

Cheers DIG

DIG:
Mushroomman some very nice trucks the one that really caught my eye is the K series with the 5 bar gate and air start possibly a Cat 3408 and I reckon that would be quite an old truck but certainly a credit to its owner.

Cheers DIG

How are you DIG hope you are behaving yourself with Cook !! :smiley:

Some nice motors on here,this looks heavy !

hh322.jpg

DEANB:

DIG:

Cheers DIG

Don’t get a chance to misbehave these days Deanb what about you still crushing a buck?
Your truck library must take up half the house you really have to come see the Transport Hall of Fame in Alice Springs and fill the other half

Cheers DIG

Hello Dig, I can’t remember if I have asked you this question before :confused: a mate of mine worked for this mob from Perth several years ago, I wondered if you ever came across them.

Oversize Transport, Perth W.A.

Ge Energy 2005 .2 new trucks for profile.JPG

Nullabor Roadhouse.

Slurry tank for Kirfields Perth to Telfer.

I can’t remember who took this but it looks like one from down under.

Flipped_Truck.jpg

One of Hanson’s, Australia.

And just in case Spardo hasn’t seen this then I think that he might find it interesting.
youtube.com/watch?v=O7VXaoh50uE

mushroomman:
Hello Dig, I can’t remember if I have asked you this question before :confused: a mate of mine worked for this mob from Perth several years ago, I wondered if you ever came across them.

Oversize Transport, Perth W.A.

Nullabor Roadhouse.

Slurry tank for Kirfields Perth to Telfer.

I can’t remember who took this but it looks like one from down under.

One of Hanson’s, Australia.

And just in case Spardo hasn’t seen this then I think that he might find it interesting.
youtube.com/watch?v=O7VXaoh50uE

Hi MRM
I shared a truck bay just south of Kumarina with a couple of them a while back now around 2005,I had an oversize road train and they were towing 80feet concrete bridge beams on jinkers, they turned up well after dark as they had had problems with one of the jinkers brakes.
If your mate was on that job we probably said good day.

Cheers DIG

DIG:

DEANB:

DIG:

Cheers DIG

Don’t get a chance to misbehave these days Deanb what about you still crushing a buck?
Your truck library must take up half the house you really have to come see the Transport Hall of Fame in Alice Springs and fill the other half

Cheers DIG

Glad to hear you are behaving Dig ! :laughing:

DEANB:

DIG:

DEANB:

DIG:

Cheers DIG

Cheers DIG

Glad to hear you are behaving Dig ! :laughing:

DeanB your on the ball at present on this photo probably in the 1980s I believe I knew the owners of both these trucks and they are parked at a well known watering hole on the West Australian coastal hwy at a road house called Sandfire which is situated half wayish between Port Hedland and Broome about 2000kms north of Perth.
The TNT painted truck wold have been on the way to Darwin the other possibly Broome.
I have to admit to having spent a few happy hours in this establishment over the years, it was founded by a gentleman by the name of Eddie Norton a real pioneer and to this day is still in the family with his son Ken now the ceo.

Cheers DIG

rtrain3.jpg

You seem to know everyone Dig !! :wink:

DEANB:

I guess DeanO that shows a major difference in our road transport system here in WA to yours in Europe and the UK we only have 2 roads from Perth to the north of the state and they join just south of Pt Hedland into a single hwy servicing the eastern Pilbara the Kimberlys and onto Darwin and the NT.
Theres a fair chance even today of meeting at some time people that drive these roads on a regular basis.

Cheers DIG

DIG:

DEANB:

I guess DeanO that shows a major difference in our road transport system here in WA to yours in Europe and the UK we only have 2 roads from Perth to the north of the state and they join just south of Pt Hedland into a single hwy servicing the eastern Pilbara the Kimberlys and onto Darwin and the NT.
Theres a fair chance even today of meeting at some time people that drive these roads on a regular basis.

Cheers DIG

That explains it then Dig. :wink:

rtrain11.JPG

rtrain13.JPG

DEANB:

He gets about does Dig. :wink:

Road train delay.
youtube.com/watch?v=-eYs8COPDCo

You might recognise this place Dig. :slight_smile:
youtube.com/watch?v=1PhcX-ROr04

mushroomman:

DEANB:

He gets about does Dig. :wink:

Road train delay.
youtube.com/watch?v=-eYs8COPDCo

You might recognise this place Dig. :slight_smile:
youtube.com/watch?v=1PhcX-ROr04

Thanks MRM I think we were digging for mushrooms lol.
Yes i have been to Henderson a few times it was getting harder to get into than Fort Knox towards the end of my days in a lorry, I heard but unsubstantiated that Mcaleese had either shut the gate too or were involved in a take over of some sort.Since the end of our “mining boom” there has been a few feel the effects HHR another.

Cheers DIG

Mushrooms Dig :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: If you would of read the text message that was left for you on the tree then you might of found a box of Vegemite and cheese sandwiches. :wink:
Better still you should of gone with The Bush Tuckerman. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=X9uW_4eCIcE

youtube.com/watch?v=QUFLhEc_sPs

If your lorries are that long how long are your trains ■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

Over seven kilometres or nearly four and a half miles. :slight_smile:

youtube.com/watch?v=qZgodWbEuG4

youtube.com/watch?v=0OTPqhDr34M

Do they have a preservation scene over there with the old British lorries they used ?

Those trains are a pest. it takes them about 5 minutes to get over level crossings. The north south freight train in Tasmania is only a baby, it can only run up to 1800 tons as there are some bad curves on the northern end… 1200 meters 3 locos at the front and 2 at the back to shove it up the hilly sections…

Restoration scene… Yes and no… Sort of goes like this… Buy a new truck. run it 24/7 for the first year or so, round about a million k’s… strip and rebuild major parts if necessary… hand it on to the long haul guys, single man operation … about 5/6000k’s a week… it’ll run like that for a few years… When it starts getting unreliable… sort out what’s needed, and hand it over to fleet operations, and run it local… little to no rust here so the cabs don’t rot, just get a bit worn out… switches don’t work and the seats got worn down the right side with drivers getting in and out… that sort of thing…A lot of the trucks we use are 6x4 prime movers, so after they’re done doing trailer work (15 to 20 years ) some one will get it and put a 10 yard tipper on it and do another 8 to 10 years with that doing muck away local round town…
In Hobart there are still a few 6x4 Albion Reaver’s doing there stuff on a daily basis… many F and G 88’s, Scania 141’s, F 10 and 12’s as well as 70’s and 80’s American stuff, all doing much away… Only last week a series 2 F16 Globetrotter turned up…

Up on the North island it’s quite trendy to get an older big banger ( Ford Louisville, W model or 123 Kenworth, Freightlinner FLB etc ) and put modern running gear and brakes on it, then go hauling with them again… You can get a Louisville from out west for about $ au 20 to 30,0000 spend another 50 to 60 on modern running gear and you’ll easily get another 10 or 15 years out of it…

Look back to the original pages on this thread and you’ll see what I mean… the thing is trucks don’t usually drop the price right out the bottom here as there is always someone about that’ll find someplace to put it to work… It might even be just doing a couple of weeks work a year round the farm…

Jeff

Jelliot:
Those trains are a pest. it takes them about 5 minutes to get over level crossings. The north south freight train in Tasmania is only a baby, it can only run up to 1800 tons as there are some bad curves on the northern end… 1200 meters 3 locos at the front and 2 at the back to shove it up the hilly sections…

Restoration scene… Yes and no… Sort of goes like this… Buy a new truck. run it 24/7 for the first year or so, round about a million k’s… strip and rebuild major parts if necessary… hand it on to the long haul guys, single man operation … about 5/6000k’s a week… it’ll run like that for a few years… When it starts getting unreliable… sort out what’s needed, and hand it over to fleet operations, and run it local… little to no rust here so the cabs don’t rot, just get a bit worn out… switches don’t work and the seats got worn down the right side with drivers getting in and out… that sort of thing…A lot of the trucks we use are 6x4 prime movers, so after they’re done doing trailer work (15 to 20 years ) some one will get it and put a 10 yard tipper on it and do another 8 to 10 years with that doing muck away local round town…
In Hobart there are still a few 6x4 Albion Reaver’s doing there stuff on a daily basis… many F and G 88’s, Scania 141’s, F 10 and 12’s as well as 70’s and 80’s American stuff, all doing much away… Only last week a series 2 F16 Globetrotter turned up…

Up on the North island it’s quite trendy to get an older big banger ( Ford Louisville, W model or 123 Kenworth, Freightlinner FLB etc ) and put modern running gear and brakes on it, then go hauling with them again… You can get a Louisville from out west for about $ au 20 to 30,0000 spend another 50 to 60 on modern running gear and you’ll easily get another 10 or 15 years out of it…

Look back to the original pages on this thread and you’ll see what I mean… the thing is trucks don’t usually drop the price right out the bottom here as there is always someone about that’ll find someplace to put it to work… It might even be just doing a couple of weeks work a year round the farm…

Jeff

Utilisation at its best there Jef , but I would guess its the U.S motors that get the refurbs after 10 years or so of hard graft ,I couldnt imagine an Iveco being worth much after 8 years . Its a credit to Albion that theres still 1 running around and it must be approaching 50 years old now.

Anything with a Cat, ■■■■■■■■ or Detroit, and Road Ranger is a good bet. I know of few companies that have more than a couple of factory rebuilds sitting on the shelves of their stores… all the aforementioned engine companies do guaranteed engine exchanges. One of the K1’s I drive on B double work has over 3 million k’s on it and is on it’s second engine which has had an in frame engine rebuild done on it… It’s expected to do another half million like that then get another new one…

It’s not just the American engines that get redone, any big bangers are worth good money… there are a few Scania V8’s still running, of the top of my head I can think of at least 10 in and around Hobart… F 16’s are just about as popular… Iveco V8’s, I met a B double Turbo Star the other day dragging 2 containers with 25 ton in each one, of course the owner was an ex pat Italian…

Jeff