Petrol and diesel cars to be phased out within 20 years?

lancpudn:
I read today that they are looking into closing the loophole whereas you can regenerate/clean the DPF in your diesel car :open_mouth: Nissan Qashqai & Vauxhall/Opel Astra being the worst of the lot. transportenvironment.org/pr … vels-tests

Make their mind up it’s either CO2 or the crap produced by diesel engines.Assuming the latter then petrol car owners shouldn’t be tarred with the same brush as tight fisted spend a pound to save a penny diesel owners.

lancpudn:
I see Birmingham’s proposals are in the press today. bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b … m-51088499

but what will be the real effect of this?
Will it be people getting on public transport to get into Birmingham City Centre or driving further to go somewhere they can get to and park easier, with the local business closing down and moving out of the city leading to even more driving?

muckles:

lancpudn:
I see Birmingham’s proposals are in the press today. bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b … m-51088499

Will it be people getting on public transport to get into Birmingham City Centre or driving further to go somewhere they can get to and park easier, with the local business closing down and moving out of the city leading to even more driving?

They want to kill two birds with one stone i.e congestion & emissions, Virgin media have thrown their hat into the ring saying they want to use their extensive network of street cabinets & ducting for EV charging and also start a ‘Virgin Media park & charge’ hubs around the country, I take that to mean like a bus park & ride thing to go into the centre while you charge your EV!

Greater Manchester are doing the same thing saying they want to reduce ‘single occupancy private car use by 90%’ if you want to come into the city it will have to be either train,tram,bus or bicycle, Speaking of which they are now putting a charge of £10/year on the free concessionary travel pass if you want to travel by train or tram, as me & the missus are retired I’m going to update my pass this week as the new charge comes in on the 1st February as we use train travel quite often.

There’s another write up about Birmingham in Forbes. forbes.com/sites/carltonrei … 99d131760f

lancpudn:

muckles:

lancpudn:

They want to kill two birds with one stone i.e congestion & emissions, Virgin media have thrown their hat into the ring saying they want to use their extensive network of street cabinets & ducting for EV charging and also start a ‘Virgin Media park & charge’ hubs around the country, I take that to mean like a bus park & ride thing to go into the centre while you charge your EV!

Greater Manchester are doing the same thing saying they want to reduce ‘single occupancy private car use by 90%’ if you want to come into the city it will have to be either train,tram,bus or bicycle, Speaking of which they are now putting a charge of £10/year on the free concessionary travel pass if you want to travel by train or tram, as me & the missus are retired I’m going to update my pass this week as the new charge comes in on the 1st February as we use train travel quite often.

There’s another write up about Birmingham in Forbes. forbes.com/sites/carltonrei … 99d131760f

I understand what their objectives are, but sadly banning cars or just making it difficult doesn’t always have the desired effect, instead it just moves that traffic elsewhere meaning with loss of business and a domino effect, but then I suppose that will reduce congestion and emissions in that area but just move it elsewhere.

muckles:

lancpudn:

muckles:

lancpudn:

I understand what their objectives are, but sadly banning cars or just making it difficult doesn’t always have the desired effect, instead it just moves that traffic elsewhere meaning with loss of business and a domino effect, but then I suppose that will reduce congestion and emissions in that area but just move it elsewhere.

The government have basically told every local authority in the UK to implement these emission measures so that can’t happen, Here’s a list of the local authorities (and counting) that have declared a ‘Climate emergency’ that will have to bring in some form of emission limits,green tolls, diesel bans,workplace parking levy etc. climateemergency.uk/blog/list-of-councils/

lancpudn:
The government have basically told every local authority in the UK to implement these emission measures so that can’t happen, Here’s a list of the local authorities (and counting) that have declared a ‘Climate emergency’ that will have to bring in some form of emission limits,green tolls, diesel bans,workplace parking levy etc. climateemergency.uk/blog/list-of-councils/

Vote Tory get LibDem/Green.

I think you have far more faith in our cash strapped councils than I do, reading through the link you gave me, 65% of councils, have declared a climate emergency, but reading a few of the links, it seem to be more of fine words and an intent to do something than actual actions, many have set their target date as 2030, other 2050 and many haven’t even set a target date, the governments target date is 2050, hardly rushing at it.
Many urban local authorities have air quality issues, but are they really going to do enough to make a difference or just hammer the motorist.
This is the sort of joined up local government thinking that we see, Bristol, brings in a load of measures to ban cars etc and then buys a load of diesel vans.
But stopping somebody driving into a city doesn’t stop them going to an out of city retail park, however encouraging people to use another option might be far more effective, but that costs money and our councils are cash strapped. More carrot, less stick might be far more effective.
Why isn’t there a national plan to work on routes to many schools to make it safer to cycle and walk, so people don’t jump into their car to do a short round trip?
Have any of the supermarkets started using electric vehicles for home deliveries, the same for parcel delivery companies?
Why aren’t council utility vehicles electric or alternative fuels where possible?
Why are so many buses, at least in my area, so old they’re probably struggling to be Euro 3, let alone using alternative fuels?
Why aren’t their solar cells on all these new warehouses being built?
Why aren’t parking spaces covered in solar panels instead of fields?
I’ve attached pictures of the Truckstop I parked at last year, ok probably more efficient in the South of France, but still better than putting a load of solar panels in a field that was growing crops or grass which take in carbon. Imaging the possibility of Supermarket car parks, retail parks, work parking areas with covered solar panels?

The whole thing really needs far more joined up thinking and not just cars, as I said in a previous post, cars and light goods vehicles account for 12% of EU carbon emissions, that’s 1.2% globally, the recent emission target will reduce that by 0.32% globally. :open_mouth:
But the politicians have their sound bites for the media and manufacturers can encourage us to buy new “low emission” cars, even though the emission created in production far out-way the saving of a more efficient vehicle. :unamused:

So what about the rest?
what about emissions created from imported goods, the tonnes of food products flown into the EU each day so we can have out of season goods on our supermarket shelves?
What about some of the business practices where goods are transported round Europe simply to undergo a process, then transported back, then transported to another manufacturer to go onto the final product, encouraged by a single market and free movement of goods?
One example posted on another thread, prawns being taken from Scandinavia to Morocco to be peeled and then transported back into the EU.
but politicians don’t want to go after multi national corporations too many vested interests to deal with, instead go for the ordinary person easy target.

Yeah I agree it is a mishmash of measures & different date commitments, you only have to look at today’s latest Local authority announcements, they’re all different with some putting the burden on commercial transport/public transport & some on private transport. Total headache if you’re travelling/delivering across the country in & out of these zones.

Cardiff airqualitynews.com/2020/01/14/w … -air-plan/

Birmingham transport-network.co.uk/No- … ving/16387

Newcastle transport-network.co.uk/New … athe/16389

Edinburgh transport-network.co.uk/Edi … cars/16386

lancpudn:
Yeah I agree it is a mishmash of measures & different date commitments, you only have to look at today’s latest Local authority announcements, they’re all different with some putting the burden on commercial transport/public transport & some on private transport. Total headache if you’re travelling/delivering across the country in & out of these zones.

Cardiff airqualitynews.com/2020/01/14/w … -air-plan/

Birmingham transport-network.co.uk/No- … ving/16387

Newcastle transport-network.co.uk/New … athe/16389

Edinburgh transport-network.co.uk/Edi … cars/16386

They’re coming thick & fast! Oxford announced their plans today. transport-network.co.uk/Cou … ency/16394

The new emission credits regulations that kicked in on the 1st January have lit a fire under some car manufacturers! any vehicle under 50g/km (basically all EV’s) will get “Super credits” whereas they will get two lots of emission credits for one vehicle.

BMW will close its main Munich plant this summer for six weeks. That will allow the company to retool and modify more than one-thousand robots to get ready for production of the all-electric BMW i4 :open_mouth:

As everything I have ever ridden and driven was further developed on a racetrack, I’m going with the Motorsport Industry which is huge to decide what I can drive, not some Swedish Thunderbird actor.

Tyres
Steering Wheel Controls
Speed limiters,
Aerodynamics
Suspension
Brakes
Fuel Economy
Weight
Engineering Materials
Ship to Shore
Body Controllers
ECM
Wishbones and Rose Bearings

To be fair the 'motorsport long ago turned into a laughable caricature in which fuel limits and other types of speed regulation,including circuit design,were put in place.Because an unrestricted 5 litre + V12 or V8 without fuel limits and on a track,without silly artificial pinch points and chicanes wasn’t considered as ‘fair’ to those drivers with lesser machinery.‘Motor’ racing is now all about the ‘driver’ so driver racing.So turn up with a Prius or an electric milk float and if it isn’t quick enough just moan that anything quicker isn’t fair ( nor eco friendly ). :unamused:

As for using rose jointed suspension for general pot holed road use.When even replacing rubber bushes with Poly is often enough to shake the thing to pieces. :open_mouth:

Juddian:

lancpudn:

the maoster:
2 years on from the O/P, the clock is ticking, only 18 more years left.

The banking giant BNP Paribas new research says that the economics of renewable energy make it impossible for oil to compete at current prices now. :open_mouth:
forbes.com/sites/mikescott/ … 34bf8e5102
Stating…
“The future is not looking bright for oil, according to a new report that claims the commodity would have to be priced at $10-$20 a barrel to remain competitive as a transport fuel”

You wait until the govt of the day sticks the equivalent of fuel duty on the electric you charge your dodgem with…anyone wonder why they’re pushing smart meters :bulb: …all of sudden the cost of running an electric car will take a massive hike, the playing field levelled somewhat.

The powers that be are coming up with some interesting ways of future “Road taxation” for the new world order of EV transport!

Micro-Billing! :open_mouth: With 5G upon us and all new vehicles equipped with V21communications, V2V vehicle to vehicle, V2X Vehicle to everything chips, your vehicle will talk to the roadside furniture /infrastructure as to where you are with Wi-Fi & GPS and will bill you accordingly, the more congested the road is the more you will pay.

They say there will be scenarios whereas you can pay additional tolls through the micro-tolling infrastructure to get to your destination quicker through V2V communications, The vehicle pays vehicles ahead to give right of way through V2I communications & smart traffic lighting systems, on the other hand if you can defer your journey at busy times via a smart phone your vehicle will receive credits :open_mouth:

:neutral_face:

lancpudn:

"Juddian’':
You wait until the govt of the day sticks the equivalent of fuel duty on the electric you charge your dodgem with…anyone wonder why they’re pushing smart meters :bulb: …all of sudden the cost of running an electric car will take a massive hike, the playing field levelled somewhat.

The powers that be are coming up with some interesting ways of future “Road taxation” for the new world order of EV transport!

Micro-Billing! :open_mouth: With 5G upon us and all new vehicles equipped with V21communications, V2V vehicle to vehicle, V2X Vehicle to everything chips, your vehicle will talk to the roadside furniture /infrastructure as to where you are with Wi-Fi & GPS and will bill you accordingly, the more congested the road is the more you will pay.

They say there will be scenarios whereas you can pay additional tolls through the micro-tolling infrastructure to get to your destination quicker through V2V communications, The vehicle pays vehicles ahead to give right of way through V2I communications & smart traffic lighting systems, on the other hand if you can defer your journey at busy times via a smart phone your vehicle will receive credits :open_mouth:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Who voted for all this and where was that made that clear to the electorate in the LibDem in all but name Party’s manifesto.

While the untaxed price of electric at 18p per KWH is effectively already similar to that of taxed road fuel.The whole thing is a control freak joke which can only have been invented by the Chinese Communist Party and implemented by their quislings in the government.

Carryfast:
:expressionless:

lancpudn:

"Juddian’':

[/quote]

[/quote]
Who voted for all this and where was that made that clear to the electorate in the LibDem in all but name Party’s manifesto.

While the untaxed price of electric at 18p per KWH is effectively already similar to that of taxed road fuel.The whole thing is a control freak joke which can only have been invented by the Chinese Communist Party and implemented by their quislings in the government.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Looks like the Scots will be the guinea pigs for the shake up of new fuel duty/road tax charging by the years end :open_mouth: transport-network.co.uk/Inf … ange/16406

So many different CAZ’s being banded about across the country! Brighton & Hove are looking into becoming a car free city by 2023 :open_mouth: localgov.co.uk/Brighton-con … city/49893

lancpudn:
Brighton & Hove are looking into becoming a car free city by 2023 :open_mouth: localgov.co.uk/Brighton-con … city/49893

I’ve heard the term London on Sea taking the ■■■■ out of the regime which has taken over the former Sussex seaside town.So no more car trippers spending their money there in the Summer.That’ll work.On that note I’ve been avoiding the Communist car hating zb hole since it banned the Speed Trials so I won’t miss it. :unamused: :laughing:

It’s not looking too rosy for Mercedes Benz who are struggling to meet the CO2 targets and cope with the transition over to BEV’s. They’re in line for enormous fines. electrek.co/2020/02/12/daimler- … roduction/

They announced they’re axing 15000 jobs the other day, I don’t think they will be the last. europe.autonews.com/automakers/ … paper-says

And here we go, my good friend in Germany was telling me me a few months ago all this green save the Planet carbon neutral ■■■■■■■■ was costing many jobs in his country, I fear a huge loss of jobs globally due to embracing this nonsense, we will all be back to living in caves…

Not the answer to all.our problems, but the Nikoli Badger looks interesting.
Sorry no links, but I’m sure someone will oblige.