Petrol and diesel cars to be phased out within 20 years?

Franglais:
Not the answer to all.our problems, but the Nikoli Badger looks interesting.
Sorry no links, but I’m sure someone will oblige.

Yeah just been reading about that beastie. :sunglasses: insideevs.com/news/398063/fca-o … ger-truck/

Blimey! Daimler trucks CEO now calls for an end to spending on ICE’s :open_mouth: He said today “It’s an expensive bridge technology which isn’t worth further attention” I don’t see many BEV trucks out there!!! :unamused:

Instead all trucks sold from 2040 should be zero emission batteries + fuel cells are the future. twitter.com/i/web/status/1229800854749880323

So the way things stand at the moment if I go to visit family in Scotland it turns into a two day journey because nothing has the range to do it on one charge . Obviously for most this would require an overnight stay in a hotel or suchlike . Just like the days of coach and horses .
The investment required in infrastructure to provide charging it mind blowing.
In my area we don’t even have cable media or great broadband or a joined up thinking local transport system.
And no this is not in some far flung backwater but in the so called privileged South East.
I think that our whole transport system is going to need a huge rethink
Many of the current crop of decision makers have little idea beyond appeasing the environmental political sections who cannot see beyond their own agendas .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

grumpyken52:
So the way things stand at the moment if I go to visit family in Scotland it turns into a two day journey because nothing has the range to do it on one charge . Obviously for most this would require an overnight stay in a hotel or suchlike . Just like the days of coach and horses .
In my area we don’t even have cable media or great broadband or a joined up thinking local transport system.
And no this is not in some far flung backwater but in the so called privileged South East.
Many of the current crop of decision makers have little idea beyond appeasing the environmental political sections who cannot see beyond their own agendas .

No.
The rapid chargers are getting faster, and ranges are getting longer. Also, (although it seems to have fallen out of favour?) Tesla showed swopping a fully charged battery for the flat one in 90 seconds.

Franglais:

grumpyken52:

No.
The rapid chargers are getting faster, and ranges are getting longer. Also, (although it seems to have fallen out of favour?) Tesla showed swopping a fully charged battery for the flat one in 90 seconds.

Rapid chargers might be getting faster but try finding one, the Tesla Fan boys love to say they’ve got an extensive network, I had a look on the Tesla Website. My nearest on isn’t too far away, but there are only 2 in East Anglia (and other populated parts of the country are even worse) and this one is at a hotel, hardly somewhere I’m going to stop for a coffee for while I wait, as for the other slow Tesla chargers in the area, almost all seem to be at hotels, hardly places I’m going to go and a bit of a pain if I’m heading to the wilds of Norfolk and find myself a bit low of charge just need a top up to get home, only to find some hotel guest has parked their EV on it for the night.

The other thing with Tesla rapid chargers is we can only assume continued use of them doesn’t seem to be much good for the batteries, some Tesla owners who use them frequently have found that Tesla has down-rated their car so they can’t fast charge, that doesn’t bode well for the Semi and all the promises that went with it, delivery is already overdue, but nothing new there.

Tesla are hinting on something new on the battery front in April at some investors day, the Tesla fan boys are creaming their pants in excitement, but as we’ve seen Elon Musk is very clever at promising in the long term to attract publicity and keep investors happy.

The infrastructure will get there we now have 2 EV chargers in the car park of my local Market town and that’s hardly super urban, although never seen them being used, but for many people Ev’s aren’t practical, mainly due to the fact the best way is to charge them overnight at home, great if you have a garage or driveway, not so good if you live in a terraced house with on street parking.

However I agree with Grumpyken our whole transport system needs a rethink, cars EV or ICE aren’t sustainable, especially if emissions is your concern, the emissions produced during production far out way what driving an old car will produce over many years. So if you’re doing average mileage and going to ditch your old ICE car for an EV because you think you’re saving the planet you’d be mistaken, although there could be a good environmental argument for replacing those millions of delivery van with electric vehicles, EV are far better suited to stop start urban use.
Door to door deliveries with an electric vehicle, why hasn’t that been done before? :wink:

But as I keep saying apparently cars and light commercials account for 12% of EU greenhouse gas emissions, that 1.2% globally, so what about the other 88% in the EU, and that doesn’t include the emissions from Chinese factories making more stuff for us to buy.
The economy relies on a throw away consumerist society and by the very nature of capitalism it has to expand and if you can’t expand the market, you have to shorten the product life, so people replace them more often. We need an economy where stuff is repaired, rebuilt, or recycled.

muckles:

Franglais:

grumpyken52:

No.

Rapid chargers might be getting faster but try finding one, the Tesla Fan boys love to say they’ve got an extensive network, I had a look on the Tesla Website. My nearest on isn’t too far away, but there are only 2 in East Anglia (and other populated parts of the country are even worse) and this one is at a hotel, hardly somewhere I’m going to stop for a coffee for while I wait, as for the other slow Tesla chargers in the area, almost all seem to be at hotels, hardly places I’m going to go and a bit of a pain if I’m heading to the wilds of Norfolk and find myself a bit low of charge just need a top up to get home, only to find some hotel guest has parked their EV on it for the night.

The other thing with Tesla rapid chargers is we can only assume continued use of them doesn’t seem to be much good for the batteries, some Tesla owners who use them frequently have found that Tesla has down-rated their car so they can’t fast charge, that doesn’t bode well for the Semi and all the promises that went with it, delivery is already overdue, but nothing new there.

Tesla are hinting on something new on the battery front in April at some investors day, the Tesla fan boys are creaming their pants in excitement, but as we’ve seen Elon Musk is very clever at promising in the long term to attract publicity and keep investors happy.

The infrastructure will get there we now have 2 EV chargers in the car park of my local Market town and that’s hardly super urban, although never seen them being used, but for many people Ev’s aren’t practical, mainly due to the fact the best way is to charge them overnight at home, great if you have a garage or driveway, not so good if you live in a terraced house with on street parking.

However I agree with Grumpyken our whole transport system needs a rethink, cars EV or ICE aren’t sustainable, especially if emissions is your concern, the emissions produced during production far out way what driving an old car will produce over many years. So if you’re doing average mileage and going to ditch your old ICE car for an EV because you think you’re saving the planet you’d be mistaken, although there could be a good environmental argument for replacing those millions of delivery van with electric vehicles, EV are far better suited to stop start urban use.
Door to door deliveries with an electric vehicle, why hasn’t that been done before? :wink:

But as I keep saying apparently cars and light commercials account for 12% of EU greenhouse gas emissions, that 1.2% globally, so what about the other 88% in the EU, and that doesn’t include the emissions from Chinese factories making more stuff for us to buy.
The economy relies on a throw away consumerist society and by the very nature of capitalism it has to expand and if you can’t expand the market, you have to shorten the product life, so people replace them more often. We need an economy where stuff is repaired, rebuilt, or recycled.

Transport is too critical to be left in the hands of private industry.
Ken and you are correct, we do need a complete change. Capitalism has got us here…where it will take us next is not somewhere we want to go.

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:

grumpyken52:

No.

Transport is too critical to be left in the hands of private industry.
Ken and you are correct, we do need a complete change. Capitalism has got us here…where it will take us next is not somewhere we want to go.

Over on another forum I am regarded as a luddite because I won’t freely accept all the claims of the environmental benefits of electric vehicles .
The push seems to be to get us out of private vehicles and onto mass transport systems.
I think the future will hold the prospect of owners of ICE vehicles being taxed and priced out of their vehicles. Tolls will be widespread to replace the lost revenue of the tax on fuel, higher tolls for ICE vehicles

The French have come up with the answer to Range anxiety! :open_mouth: A trailer with 60Kwh of extra battery power. :open_mouth: €34 to hire or €10K if you want to buy one :astonished: europe.autonews.com/blogs/frenc … ange-angst

lancpudn:
The French have come up with the answer to Range anxiety! :open_mouth: A trailer with 60Kwh of extra battery power. :open_mouth: €34 to hire or €10K if you want to buy one :astonished: europe.autonews.com/blogs/frenc … ange-angst

That would be ok , except for the large percentage of drivers who don’t have the entitlement on their license and would need to take a test to tow a trailer . Possibly that part would be cancelled on the grounds that the needs of the environment outweigh the public safety ? Also , given the propensity for nose to tail shunts on our roads , would a trailer full of batteries be a safe way to go ?

rigsby:

lancpudn:

That would be ok , except for the large percentage of drivers who don’t have the entitlement on their license and would need to take a test to tow a trailer . Possibly that part would be cancelled on the grounds that the needs of the environment outweigh the public safety ? Also , given the propensity for nose to tail shunts on our roads , would a trailer full of batteries be a safe way to go ?

Most don’t realise that the batteries are classed has hazardous goods .
I used to move replacement battery packs for Tesla from their service center in Acton .
The packs weigh in at 460kg in their transport cases and are classed as a marine pollutant. They are horrible things to deal with in fires , another thing that is kept quiet about by the EV crowd .
Whatever we turn to for our transport needs is going to have drawbacks but it does feel that EVs are being railroaded in to a large degree .

grumpyken52:

rigsby:

lancpudn:

I used to move replacement battery packs for Tesla from their service center in Acton .
The packs weigh in at 460kg in their transport cases and are classed as a marine pollutant. They are horrible things to deal with in fires , another thing that is kept quiet about by the EV crowd .
Whatever we turn to for our transport needs is going to have drawbacks but it does feel that EVs are being railroaded in to a large degree .

Agreed, I’m not sure of the rules regarding trailers in Europe, My daughter has just passed her trailer test last week.
I would think 60Kwh of litium ion batteries will weigh a fair bit, there was no mention of laden weight of the trailer.

Looks like the Euro Cat 6 diesel engines might not cut the mustard in CAZ’s with the new Low Emission Freight Testing (LEFT) cycle test results.
airqualitynews.com/2020/02/20/a … he-making/

rigsby:

lancpudn:

That would be ok , except for the large percentage of drivers who don’t have the entitlement on their license and would need to take a test to tow a trailer .

I think you only need a B+E or towing entitlement if the gross weight of the trailer is over 750kg or the MAM is over 3500kg.

Category B
You can tow trailers up to 750kg MAM (maximum authorised mass).

You can also tow larger trailers if the combined trailer and vehicle MAM is not more than 3,500kg.

Apparently a 90kw/h Tesla Battery weighs 520kg, but I’m not sure if that is just the batteries or all the gubbins that make the battery pack, which actually makes up quite a lot of the battery pack.
This trailer is a 60kw/h pack, So I suppose would give an extra range of 150 miles, however the extra weight and towing will increase the energy consumption of the car, so not sure how much real World extra range it will give you for the inconvenience of towing a trailer.

grumpyken52:

I’ve transported and worked with Hybrid racecars, the batteries are removed from the cars after each event and transported in their own container, even though the batteries are quite small, I still have to declare them as hazardous goods when I get to the port and end up on the open deck of the ferry.
At the circuit we have Defibrillators, an isolated “Crook” to pull somebody away from the car if it was live and long isolated gloves for anybody who might need to touch the car if it came in “live”, we also have a large tub of distilled water to throw the battery in if it goes critical. I believe the track Marshalls have also had to have training in case they’re the first to arrive on the scene of a crashed car, however on the roadside with a crashed car, petrol smells, but electricity might not give out to many clues.

However Race fuel is pretty hazardous, after quite a few pit lane and garage incidents, many series require all personnel working on or round the car to be wearing fireproofs and closed fuel system to fill up cars and rigs, gone are the old days of wearing Shorts and T’shirts while measuring jugs of fuel into dump churns or filling the rig with a petrol pump.

There are still rumours that the real cause of the fire in Williams garage was covered up because it involved the KERS which was still a bit controversial at the time. On the flip side the technology they are using is pretty impressive, especially when you get to see it up close and talk to the system engineers developing it.

lancpudn:
Looks like the Euro Cat 6 diesel engines might not cut the mustard in CAZ’s with the new Low Emission Freight Testing (LEFT) cycle test results.

A) Do you actually read these articles you post with a critical eye?
B) Poor journalism, copied from somewhere else and edited to fit their bias, I know this as I can’t find the graph they mention in the article, so we don’t know the methodology or even who paid for the tests, this information is critical when you’re going to review a study, as those with an agenda will just report the facts that further their cause.
C) They’re talking about trucks at light weight not getting warm enough to operate the SCR, I believe that why there are EGR systems on trucks, what the article doesn’t tell us is if the tests were carried out with these systems operating to get the exhaust and SCR system up to operating temperature in these low load conditions.

D) However do many diesel cars engines on a daily commute, shopping or school run, ever get up to a temperature where the SCR system is working efficiently.

muckles:

rigsby:

lancpudn:

That would be ok , except for the large percentage of drivers who don’t have the entitlement on their license and would need to take a test to tow a trailer .

I think you only need a B+E or towing entitlement if the gross weight of the trailer is over 750kg or the MAM is over 3500kg.

Category B
You can tow trailers up to 750kg MAM (maximum authorised mass).

You can also tow larger trailers if the combined trailer and vehicle MAM is not more than 3,500kg.

grumpyken52:

I’ve transported and worked with Hybrid racecars, the batteries are removed from the cars after each event and transported in their own container, even though the batteries are quite small, I still have to declare them as hazardous goods when I get to the port and end up on the open deck of the ferry.
At the circuit we have Defibrillators, an isolated “Crook” to pull somebody away from the car if it was live and long isolated gloves for anybody who might need to touch the car if it came in “live”, we also have a large tub of distilled water to throw the battery in if it goes critical. I believe the track Marshalls have also had to have training in case they’re the first to arrive on the scene of a crashed car, however on the roadside with a crashed car, petrol smells, but electricity might not give out to many clues.

However Race fuel is pretty hazardous, after quite a few pit lane and garage incidents, many series require all personnel working on or round the car to be wearing fireproofs and closed fuel system to fill up cars and rigs, gone are the old days of wearing Shorts and T’shirts while measuring jugs of fuel into dump churns or filling the rig with a petrol pump.

There are still rumours that the real cause of the fire in Williams garage was covered up because it involved the KERS which was still a bit controversial at the time. On the flip side the technology they are using is pretty impressive, especially when you get to see it up close and talk to the system engineers developing it.

Didn’t loads of the F1 transporters get trouble in France because of the batteries?
Suddenly all the drivers had ADR training !
We used to sub for DHL Motorsport and did the parts express runs to the European circuits, we also did the fuel runs from Germany to Ferrari at their test facility.
We also used to bring the samples to the test labs at Dartford and also the company that supply the onboard metering units , they are up near Cambridge.
My most valuable load was 12 Mercedes F1 engines and 12 batteries and control systems .
More like high end scientific research than the motorsport that many of us know .
The circus has just started again down in Spain .
I certainly do miss being out on the road

grumpyken52:
Didn’t loads of the F1 transporters get trouble in France because of the batteries?
We used to sub for DHL Motorsport and did the parts express runs to the European circuits, we also did the fuel runs from Germany to Ferrari at their test facility.
We also used to bring the samples to the test labs at Dartford and also the company that supply the onboard metering units , they are up near Cambridge.
My most valuable load was 12 Mercedes F1 engines and 12 batteries and control systems .
More like high end scientific research than the motorsport that many of us know .

I didn’t hear anything about ADR issues, so many different people transporting for F1 now its possible that somebody didn’t abide by the regs, (I checked with Dieseldave and the ferry company before I transported the batteries so knew I was in good to go), but I don’t really have much to do with the F1 “circus”, well not since I finished doing GP2,
I have done a coupe of head to head double manning jobs, but my F1 stuff is normally the PR events and young driver testing, far more fun and get well looked after by the team and the transports not done by the usual suspects.
Most of the stuff I do these days is Endurance racing or historics, basically both are Multi Millionaires expensive hobbies, although there is manufacturer involvement on the GT stuff.
I know what you mean about high end research, been to a few places where they check your phones and tablets, as no photos are allowed and its just full of people working in pristine white workshops. :smiley:

muckles:

grumpyken52:

I didn’t hear anything about ADR issues, so many different people transporting for F1 now its possible that somebody didn’t abide by the regs, (I checked with Dieseldave and the ferry company before I transported the batteries so knew I was in good to go), but I don’t really have much to do with the F1 “circus”, well not since I finished doing GP2,
I have done a coupe of head to head double manning jobs, but my F1 stuff is normally the PR events and young driver testing, far more fun and get well looked after by the team and the transports not done by the usual suspects.
Most of the stuff I do these days is Endurance racing or historics, basically both are Multi Millionaires expensive hobbies, although there is manufacturer involvement on the GT stuff.
I know what you mean about high end research, been to a few places where they check your phones and tablets, as no photos are allowed and its just full of people working in pristine white workshops. :smiley:

We did the stuff via DHL Motorsport and did the parts shuttle in vans for Mercedes power trains up near Northampton, two vans per day to whichever European circuit they were at . We did the pre season filming with Williams F1 at Barcelona every year . We did Le mans with BP oils each year . I was a senior marshall for 36 years then worked for a car restorer who also looked after a few customer cars and raced himself . So all sides of it except driving race cars , I only did short circuit driving .

muckles:

lancpudn:

A) Do you actually read these articles you post with a critical eye?
B) Poor journalism, copied from somewhere else and edited to fit their bias, I know this as I can’t find the graph they mention in the article, so we don’t know the methodology or even who paid for the tests, this information is critical when you’re going to review a study, as those with an agenda will just report the facts that further their cause.
C) They’re talking about trucks at light weight not getting warm enough to operate the SCR, I believe that why there are EGR systems on trucks, what the article doesn’t tell us is if the tests were carried out with these systems operating to get the exhaust and SCR system up to operating temperature in these low load conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXQPsAW-iZA

D) However do many diesel cars engines on a daily commute, shopping or school run, ever get up to a temperature where the SCR system is working efficiently.

Of course I bloody read the articles, Everybody has an “Agenda” no matter which side of the fence you’re on, I try to find all I can about the subject and make sense of it and make up my own mind.

Hot of the press looks like synthetic e-fuels is no better than ordinary petrol or diesel after tests were carried out :open_mouth: transportenvironment.org/di … as-petrol/

lancpudn:
Hot of the press looks like synthetic e-fuels is no better than ordinary petrol or diesel after tests were carried out :open_mouth: transportenvironment.org/di … as-petrol/

So now it’s not CO2 after all.
What was the point of fitting those expensive catalytic converters.
Also what facts show that hydrogen produces any or all of those emissions even in measurable amounts let alone the same amounts as diesel.

Porsche is heavily invested in a e-fuels plant in Chile south America which will start producing synthetic fuels from next year to keep their classic 911’s etc & Porsche race series going. The big drawback is the price of the stuff, between $4.50-$6.00 per litre, Fuel for the wealthy.
evcentral.com.au/synthetic-petr … ambitions/