Petitions

I didn’t start off looking for this, but hey, its 5 in the morning, I’ve been up all night and I needed to keep “in sync” with the rest of my night shift hours :smiley: :smiley:

So I went over to the petitions site as there was something about some comments regarding the use of Linux and TV and getting it over the internet, and of course got side tracked :blush: :blush:

Well. You know how it is :smiley:

Rejected E-Petitions

petitions.pm.gov.uk/Keep-Left/
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Increase motorway capacity significantly with one simple rule: Make a specific offence of “failing to keep in the left most lane unless overtaking”, and define “overtaking” as a manoeuvre that must be completed in 30 seconds or less for each vehicle passed.

This petition has been rejected because:

• It was similar to and/or overlaps with an existing petition or petitions

Additional information about this rejection: petitions.pm.gov.uk/LaneUsage/ (13 Sigs)

petitions.pm.gov.uk/ASHCHIL/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to INCREASE THE SPEED LIMIT ON MOTORWAYS TO 80MPH AND BAN VANS/TRUCKS OVER 3.5 TON FROM THE OUTSIDE LAN

Additional information about this rejection:
petitions.pm.gov.uk/85-mph/ (3351 Sigs with a PM Response)

petitions.pm.gov.uk/ForeignHGVs/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to foreign hgvs using our road network. most foreign companies send trucks into the u k, delivering vital goods, but paying nothing towards the upkeep of the road network. They pay no road fund license & most fuel up in mainland europe therefore not even contributing towards our tax system or maintainance of the road network at all. This means they can undercut our haulage costs putting British jobs at risk, especially if road toll charging comes in widening the gap further. A system of taxation could be included at the point of entry depending on length of stay.

petitions.pm.gov.uk/Foreign-HGVs/ (115 Sigs)

petitions.pm.gov.uk/traffic-ease/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Ban Long Goods Vehicles from motorways between the hours of 6.00 am and 10.00 am and 3 pm and 7 pm.If LGV trucks are banned from Motorways between these times then the state of traffic in this country would be eased dramatically. This was introduced in Germany so that LGV’s could not use the Autobahns between certain times and it worked as i can testify. Something needs to be done to alleviate the current situation. I cant see why truck drivers cannot work over night anyway??

petitions.pm.gov.uk/Deliveries/ (6 Sigs)
petitions.pm.gov.uk/Slow-vehicles/ (19 Sigs)

petitions.pm.gov.uk/LorriesMainRoads/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Legislate for when lorries and trucks can use main roads. I would like to see a law instigated that stops lorries, trucks and any vehicles with abnormal loads from using main roads between 8am and 10am, and 4pm and 6.30pm Monday to Friday. This would cut congestion radically, and force businesses to think more holistically about how to transport freight.

petitions.pm.gov.uk/Slow-vehicles/ (only 19 sigs)

petitions.pm.gov.uk/ReduceCongestion/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Reduce Transport and Road Congestion without increased charges. In other countries, lorries and trucks are not permitted to drive on the main arterial roads during rush hour and main daylight hours Monday to Friday. Instead they drive at night and out of the generally busy periods, thereby enabling people to travel to and from work and conduct business more expeditiously with smaller vehicles (cars & buses). This would be most beneficial here in the UK. The Government should also put more resources into the railways to enable more goods and freight to be transported to hubs, which will then be distributed locally by trucks and vehicles, thereby reducing the necessity for so many large trucks to be on the roads.

petitions.pm.gov.uk/Deliveries/ (6 Sigs)

petitions.pm.gov.uk/traffic-control/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to aid the flow of motorway traffic, by confining trucks to the slow lane at peak periods in busy areas only. Very effective, safe and very CHEAP. We would like trucks confined to the slow lane during Rush Hour periods. Say, 7am to 10am and 4pm to 7pm and only neccesary in congested areas. This would prevent speed restricted trucks causing great plugs of traffic as they attempt to overtake, one travelling at 56mph, the other at 56.1mph! We all experience these snarlups every day and I, as a truck driver, find myself getting caught out too, say up a slow incline. It is these plugs that result in traffic coming to a standstill at times. It would be a very cheap experiment to try, say on the M4 between Heston and Junction 14. Very cheap indeed compared to the billions being discussed with regard to Road Pricing. Apart from anything else, stationary traffic on a motorway is very dangerous so I would regard and recommend this as a contribution to safety.

petitions.pm.gov.uk/Lorry-Overtaking/ (50 Sigs)

Then of course there are a few others that we have been asking for a while…

petitions.pm.gov.uk/HGVparking/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to more parking areas available for HGV’s with better services & showering facilities. with driver hours getting tighter & tighter & laybys & truck stops disappearing it will be a good idea for the government to make every local authority create a parking area for HGV’s with shower facilities.

petitions.pm.gov.uk/Driver-Safety

(Which had 122 sigs)

petitions.pm.gov.uk/trucks-to-rail/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Assistance to move haulage onto trains not roads Our rail network is in such a mess that haulage companies are still having to transport haulage on our roads instead of rail, including Royal mail moving to road instead of rail a few years ago, this has caused thousands of extra vehicles per day, Large haulage companies who are now competing against royal mail are also just using road when if the investment was put into working on rail instead of administration & stealth taxing ideas then rail could be put forward as an option, There are a lot of rail links through the country already & there is technology in the truck trailers to switch from road to rail with ease,

The government needs to look at the cost saving to industry, which will put funds back into the rail network, Not just think of the funds from fuel tax

petitions.pm.gov.uk/rail-space/ (18 Sigs)
petitions.pm.gov.uk/moretrains/ (29 Sigs)
petitions.pm.gov.uk/HGV-off-the-road/ (52 Sigs)
petitions.pm.gov.uk/ban-HGVs/ (66 Sigs)

Oh, and there is this: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

petitions.pm.gov.uk/Deport-Eubank/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to stop Chris Eubank from burning unreasonable amounts of diesel in his truck and banish him from Brighton & Hove. Chris Eubank is becoming too embarrassing to be associated with the cool city of Brighton and Hove. He also hasn’t worked out that whilst protesting against the IRAQ war is fine on the basis of yes we did invade for their oil, but he really shouldn’t then jump into his monster truck to make his point.

So, how much bigger is his truck to a Scania T-Cab :smiley:

I like the one about all sticking to Lane 1 during rush-hour! :smiley: :smiley:

Just goes to show the mindset of some people. Some because not many people signed…

Ha ha … good finds!

Some of the logic in those is erm…strange.

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Ban HGV’s and slow moving vehicles such as tractors (excluding all emergency vehicles) from the road between the hours 6am and 6pm.

How many times have you been stuck in a queue of traffic behind an HGV travelling at 45mph on a 60mph road, or worse still, a tractor? How many times have you seen the impatience of people just trying to get to work and back home, carry out crazy manoeuvres to overtake the said vehicle/s? If the traffic were allowed to flow freely, surely there would be a decrease in car accidents.

So you want farmers to farm by night? Yeah thats a good idea. What about the How many times have you seen the impatience of people just trying to get to work and back home, carry out crazy manoeuvres well thats not an issue about large vehicles is it. Muppet.

Yeah crazy stuff. should keep HGV’s off the road at certain times so that someone in a car driving alone can use the motorway quicker. the one person in a car contributes more to UK economy than a truck, where as the driver of the car could prob use public transport and make the roads quieter.

Alternativly increase or remove speed limiters from trucks and stop treating us truck drivers as idiots who can’t handle a truck doing the actual speed limit 60mph.

I vaguely remember one along the lines of

“we the undersigned petition the prime minister to have Rob K reinstated onto trucknet”

As I understand this was rejected as it was outside the prime ministers remit.

Please note that this was a quote and not necessarily the opinion of the poster :wink:

Perhaps I should have put it in the Humour section :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Have a look at the name. I started everyone of them !!!

Perhaps we should start a petition to ask for errrrmm, lets see …

Perhaps we should start a few petitions for :-
Increasing the speed limit for trucks, on motorways to 70mph.
Banning cars from the inside 2 lanes on Motorways, oh dear, that means they wouldn’t be able to join (or leave if they managed to join, never mind).
Banning caravans, (except for artic drivers on holiday).

Any more ■■? :smiley:

I like the…

“put trucks goods on to trains as they can pull several trucks worth”

How about put cars contents onto trains as they can pull several hundered cars worth.

Anyone would think we actually had a decent rail network :stuck_out_tongue:

Heard someone on the radio talking about moving frieght onto the rails and this guy was saying problem don’t have the capacity to do it, would need a massive amount spent on the railways to allow proper freight use.

The companies involved with the railway don’t want frieght on their rails because its no where near as profitable as passenger rail, so rather use there lines for passenger services where they can get away with charging over £200 for a journey from Manchester to London. Any upgrades they will be for passenger use not freight.

Plus as well all these car drivers moaning about trucks, well lets face it consumer demand has put more trucks on the road, its not like trucks are on the road for the sake of it. Maybe these car drivers would be happy if supermarkets and the likes went back to having few selections on their shelves, maybe would be happy to stop people using the internet and catelogues to buy things again to stop the amount of trucks on the road. Maybe also happy that when you need something across the country instead of getting it next day get it a week later.

Also another good one is they want trucks off the road in rush hour or during the day, but then again they complain when trucks use the road at night and keep people awake !

Missed my train today. As I waited for the next one a dirty great coal train came past and you could see the rails bend as each truck went over them. These things trundle along the lines at 60mph, getting in the way of passenger trains, wearing out the tracks paid for by our tax, showing off with their air horns and blatantly run on cherry too.

I think it’s time we had a petition to get these monsters off our railways!

Yesterday’s front page on TN had an article about how £20m is being spent on the rail network to help switch freight to rail, explaining how

"Collectively, the projects will remove 39 million lorry km from Britain’s roads over the next ten years. "

Impressive stuff but let’s do the maths;

There are 3,652 days in 10 years so 39,000,000 / 3,652 = 10,679km each day.

Still fairly impressed.

Substituting guesswork for research has a typicla lorry doing 400km in a day so it takes 10,679 / 400 = 27 lorries to do this work every day.

£20,000,000 to take 27 lorries off the road, that’s what I call value and I for one am looking forward to being able to drive on the empty roads.

Somwhere else someone posted that lorries account for the same wear as 150000 to 500000 cars.

So that means the entier population of cars (33 mil) causes the same wear as 220 - 66 lorries?

I am confused. Between the hours of 7a.m. and 10a.m. and 4 and 6 p.m. WHERE ARE WE SUPPOSED TO PARK? :imp: :open_mouth: Muppets!

I’d like to propose;
1 - Sheds on wheels (sorry, caravans) are only allowed on the road between 7pm and 7am.
2 - Cars are not allowed in lane 1 at all, only to join and leave (this would remove all old people in Rover 200’s from our M-Ways :smiley: ).
3 - Tax people who drive alone on M-Ways
4 - Do a petition against stupid petitions from idiot car drivers. :smiley:

What always tickles me about the “banning trucks at certain times” brigade is why we are all there at the same time as them. It would have nothing to do with the fact they all book their deliveries to turn up at their warehouses at the same time as they do, would it? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They also seem to forget that if we all ran nights, they’d all end up working nights to deal with the goods/paperwork/checking/etc etc etc as well…So we’d end up with another petition in 2 years time saying “Make all the trucks drive during the day”. :unamused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Considering there is only about half a million trucks compared to 20 million cars in this country.
Thought really has’nt come into their arguement ,like most things the general public propose regarding trucks nowadays :unamused:
they seem to think we drive round empty all week for something to do. :unamused: :imp: :imp:

2 - Cars are not allowed in lane 1 at all, only to join and leave (this would remove all old people in Rover 200’s from our M-Ways ).

have got to agree,some old ■■■■ on the M3 fri morning doing 52,when got half way past him ,he deciced to sit in the blind spot,lucky for him it was warm and sunny ,window was open so could still hear him ,but not see him.

i was tempted to move over anyway,just to see him go into winchester services for some clean undies. :smiley:

Dear Prime Minister.

Im sorry but I started a petition to get trucks off the road. Can you reverse your decision.

The children keep me awake all night because there was no milk in the shops yesterday. My car ran out of petrol on the way home from work and my wife got stuck in a huge traffic jam near Leicester Forest.

Trucks were parked up on the hard shoulder and all the other lanes were blocked with trucks queuing for the service area. I have just managed to barter with my neighbour for some stale bread but he needs toilet rolls in a hurry and I cannot spare any :stuck_out_tongue:

K N Obhead Mr

mark croft:
i was tempted to move over anyway,just to see him go into winchester services for some clean undies. :smiley:

Sadly Mark, that would have been a waste of time…he probably needed them a long time before even getting in the car. :smiling_imp:

Lucy:
What always tickles me about the “banning trucks at certain times” brigade is why we are all there at the same time as them. It would have nothing to do with the fact they all book their deliveries to turn up at their warehouses at the same time as they do, would it? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They also seem to forget that if we all ran nights, they’d all end up working nights to deal with the goods/paperwork/checking/etc etc etc as well…So we’d end up with another petition in 2 years time saying “Make all the trucks drive during the day”. :unamused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, but that won’t affect people in the office or in the “services” sector where nothing actualy gets produced so nothing needs to be delivered or taken away. These people are probably the most likely to support stupid ideas too.

bikemonkey:
Considering there is only about half a million trucks compared to 20 million cars in this country.
Thought really has’nt come into their arguement ,like most things the general public propose regarding trucks nowadays
they seem to think we drive round empty all week for something to do.

Last time I bothered looking up any figures I think cars accounted for about 80%, HGVs about 7% or road space. Measuring traffic by road space is interesting because it stop people thinking a truck takes up much more space than a car. At a standstill it’s true that you could fit 4 cars in the space of one artic but the amount of roadspace required is length of vehicle+stopping distance so at 60mph a truck is using 295ft of motorway, a car 255ft so 7 trucks are taking up the space of 8 cars.

Of course people think the trucks are on the road for the sake of it, the majority of car journeys are non essential so why should it be any different to any other vehicle?

What worries me about any of this anti truck stuff is not that it’ll take trucks off the road (that’ll only happen when people stop buying the stuff they transport) but that companies will work around it by using 7.5 tonners or even trannies (I’m talking about VANS ady1!) and that really will bring the roads to a standstill.

Problem is the speed limiters.

I can understand car drivers frustrations, espec in you use the A14 or any other two lane dual carriageway or motorway. I felt it this morning coming home from work on the M77 tired wanting home but spent a good ten minutes sitting at 50mph while two trucks faught it out at 6am !

Even the likes of the M6 its solid south of Preston daytimes with trucks in lane 1 and 2 cars are squeezed into lane 3.

Not to mention the nonsense 40mph limit on single carriageway roads. Routes like the A1 from Edinburgh - Berwick. The 40mph limit is nonsense with the improvments made to trucks. Espec when a lot of these main routes are now targeted by speed cameras set to catch trucks.

Should really increase speed limits on single carriageway roads, and let us do at least 60mph on the motorways. That would get things moving a bit.