PETER ROFF

nipper9879:
[/album]

nipper9879:

JOHNXL70:

tvdriver:
I started there in 1990 and I just can’t remember there being a rhd Scania there was a rhd f12 a couple of rhd f16’s and the only rhd Scania I remember was j5 roff which Martin golder drove then I got and had until I left in 1995

I’ve been in contact with Terry,he thinks there was a RHD Scania but it was a Streamline 500,but he’d left before it came. He says he’s seen photos of this one that’s been restored,he says it looks nice but the detailing is wrong and Peter would have a fit lol

Can you tell what detail is wrong? as i own this one & want to make it right!, having been speaking to peter himself on numerous occasions and liasing with a couple of old drivers/friends (brian green & pete ford) they have sent me some old graphs to help me out but as the last one was sign written over 20 yrs ago its hard to get all the right detail & being not just round the corner from leighton buzzard its hard to nip up to the original sign writers lol, peter has seen it too & was chuffed to see his old livery come back to life , and all being well is coming up to get a few graphs with it at peterborough 2017, cheers Nipper :slight_smile:

roff 143 2.jpg

nipper9879:
0[/album]

nipper9879:

JOHNXL70:

tvdriver:
I started there in 1990 and I just can’t remember there being a rhd Scania there was a rhd f12 a couple of rhd f16’s and the only rhd Scania I remember was j5 roff which Martin golder drove then I got and had until I left in 1995

I’ve been in contact with Terry,he thinks there was a RHD Scania but it was a Streamline 500,but he’d left before it came. He says he’s seen photos of this one that’s been restored,he says it looks nice but the detailing is wrong and Peter would have a fit lol

Can you tell what detail is wrong? as i own this one & want to make it right!, having been speaking to peter himself on numerous occasions and liasing with a couple of old drivers/friends (brian green & pete ford) they have sent me some old graphs to help me out but as the last one was sign written over 20 yrs ago its hard to get all the right detail & being not just round the corner from leighton buzzard its hard to nip up to the original sign writers lol, peter has seen it too & was chuffed to see his old livery come back to life , and all being well is coming up to get a few graphs with it at peterborough 2017, cheers Nipper :slight_smile:

any detailed graphs would be appreciated , nipper :slight_smile:

nipper9879:
any detailed graphs would be appreciated , nipper :slight_smile:

if you’ve had approval from the man himself it must be ok

I sure have & was supposed to meet up with him earlier this year but due to interior taking longer than anticipated it wasn’t finished in time for Peterborough show…

Nipper9879, I worked for peter driving k7 & P7 ROF. Your truck is the hot topic between me and Terry.
Peter had two non-streamline topline 143’s. Brian had the 450 from new and terry the 470 (after a long wait for type approval) and both were Lhd. J5 was the last Rhd Scania a 143-500 streamline that John (tv driver) had that is now owned by peter Harding. I see from the magazine article to your pictures on here
That it now has the correct headboard. Some slight differences are…
The ‘lady’ was always at the bottom of the bumper
Always covers on the front of the air horns
There was never ‘super’ at the bottom of the doors
The hubs were painted blue
Front Wheel nut covers were the complete ones
The stacks never had handles on them
No pinstripes on the tanks
Definitely no lead up ramps
Offside on the scania’s had spare wheel carrier
Tank straps were blue
Rear wings were 3piece on scania one piece on volvo’s
You’ve taken on the challenge of an iconic fleet to which I commend you. It must be hard sourcing the parts. I hope you find these comments helpful in your quest for perfection.

Bloody hell that’s some detail you remember there loopy, attention to detail of the highest order perhaps gained during the legendary Saturday cleaning parades?

super loopy:
Nipper9879, I worked for peter driving k7 & P7 ROF. Your truck is the hot topic between me and Terry.
Peter had two non-streamline topline 143’s. Brian had the 450 from new and terry the 470 (after a long wait for type approval) and both were Lhd. J5 was the last Rhd Scania a 143-500 streamline that John (tv driver) had that is now owned by peter Harding. I see from the magazine article to your pictures on here
That it now has the correct headboard. Some slight differences are…
The ‘lady’ was always at the bottom of the bumper
Always covers on the front of the air horns
There was never ‘super’ at the bottom of the doors
The hubs were painted blue
Front Wheel nut covers were the complete ones
The stacks never had handles on them
No pinstripes on the tanks
Definitely no lead up ramps
Offside on the scania’s had spare wheel carrier
Tank straps were blue
Rear wings were 3piece on scania one piece on volvo’s
You’ve taken on the challenge of an iconic fleet to which I commend you. It must be hard sourcing the parts. I hope you find these comments helpful in your quest for perfection.

Cheers super loopy pm you thanks

Hello all, sorry to bring up an old thread although I know some of you may appreciate it :sunglasses:

My question is would any of you happen to know what colour blue Peter used on his trucks? The darker shade on the bottom half of the cabs and trailers… maybe a colour name or even a code?

Thank you.

Benni the white was a standard arctic white and the blue was possibly RAF blue but it’s been a long time since I worked there :open_mouth: nipper 9879 recently restored a Scania into Peter’s colours so would be best placed for paint codes.

There has been much debate about Peter Roff and his immaculate fleet. Some of the stories are “fantastic”! Are they true? Or just made up?

1: I once heard that every board inside his tilts was coachlined and numbered and wo-betide you if you got them in the wrong order :confused:

2: When the lads got back to the yard, they had to park the trailers exactly right, Peter would then come out with a tape measure and make sure the distance between each trailer was the same front and back :confused: If it wasnt, they were re-parked!

3: He checked his trailers for rope marks up the sides and even on the top.
He didnt want the sides pulling up with dirty old ropes, drivers were expected to stand on a fork lift truck and pull them up!
H and S would have a field day with that one nowadays:lol: :laughing:

These stories may, or may not be true, but they are all part of the good old days of haulage!
I worked for Peter for a time and im not defending him, but i found him “OK”. Yes, he had his moments, but dont all bosses?
Perhaps there are some of Peter’s old drivers out there who would like to add something…

I was a young mid20’s lad and i got a 142 to drive :smiley: , i wasnt complaining…
then an F12 Globetrotter :confused:

Does anyone remember this article from Trucking International magazine?
Cant remember the date, but it makes good reading.

truckerash:
2: When the lads got back to the yard, they had to park the trailers exactly right,
Peter would then come out with a tape measure and make sure the distance
between each trailer was the same front and back :confused: If it wasnt, they were re-
parked!

]

He certainly wasn’t the only one, Paul Gauthier had a railway sleeper placed
between each ■■■■■■■■■■■■, all carefully measured with its place marked in
paint on the ground, as was the exact spot that the front axle of each make of
truck should be parked in relation to it, again with a little red paint mark. Woe
betide if you were a centimetre out. This picture was taken a few years ago
but, driving past most days as I do, I see nothing has changed apart from the
wagons.

He once gave me a rollicking for not tucking in every strap behind its buckle,
didn’t like the little marks it made on the curtain and, when I had only been
there a day he sent me off to load 2 pickups of shoes for Germany but insisted
I wash down the unit first (it wasn’t mine, I was a floater for the first month)
which very nearly cost us the 2nd collection when I arrived half an hour after
closing time.

We used to wash down on a Saturday, but all mucked in together. This was
unpaid work, unless returning from a trip, but we loved it because we had
loads of wine and groceries brought in followed by delicious coffee, making it
a real weekly social occasion. I think most, like me, regretted the end of it
when the 35 hour week (ha ha) came in and the Ministry told him we had to
put tachos in on a Saturday, driving or not.

will always remember as a kid passing Saelens’ (SITRA) yard near Ypres Saturday mornings - all perfectly parked facing the road and gleaming :sunglasses: when most of us ran out of muddy wasteland under railway arches etc, with wagons randomly abandoned! :blush:

passed a yard of theirs (not sure if it was a new place or same one redeveloped) a few weeks back on the convoi exceptionnel route from Dunkerque to Tournai, and noticed the practice seemed to have ceased :frowning:

truckerash:
2: When the lads got back to the yard, they had to park the trailers exactly right, Peter would then come out with a tape measure and make sure the distance between each trailer was the same front and back :confused: If it wasnt, they were re-parked!..

This rule applies to Bernie Ecclestones company, Formula One Administration (as it was then called).
One chaps job at the circuits was and probably still is to park all the companies artics at a precise angle, herring bone style.
Apparently he starts from one point then lines off from there, then it would be inspected by someone higher up the food chain and if it was wrong then…do it all again!! :unamused:

great pics ash i remember the first time i saw a peter roff F12 it were shining like a new pin parked outside the wheelhouse in dover

not sure who it was, but someone asked about N&Q on another thread a while ago and mentioned a connection with Peter Roff.
Nellen and Quack was a freight forwarder based in germany.
Peter Roff never had any of his own motors painted up in the green livery, but a guy called Colin ■■? (:oops: just cant remember his surname) from Luton ran the F7 and then one of Peter’s ex 142’s which he had fitted with a tag axle.
I think Peter did some work for N&Q.

BOBW if you are reading this, can you help out?

Those Nellen and Quack Motor’s used to park in Leighton Buzzard, down Stanbridge Road, just past the old Lipton Tea Place, cant for the life of me remember what its called though!.

Bloody Hell Ash, there’s some names from that magazine article i wokred with only 3 years ago.

Jimmy Doerr and Kieth Soby are on for RPL in Milton Keynes, and Martin Hampton is working for a farmer with an R500 doing local deliveries round this area.

Spardo:

truckerash:
2: When the lads got back to the yard, they had to park the trailers exactly right,
Peter would then come out with a tape measure and make sure the distance
between each trailer was the same front and back :confused: If it wasnt, they were re-
parked!

]

He certainly wasn’t the only one, Paul Gauthier had a railway sleeper placed
between each ■■■■■■■■■■■■, all carefully measured with its place marked in
paint on the ground, as was the exact spot that the front axle of each make of
truck should be parked in relation to it, again with a little red paint mark. Woe
betide if you were a centimetre out. This picture was taken a few years ago
but, driving past most days as I do, I see nothing has changed apart from the
wagons.

He once gave me a rollicking for not tucking in every strap behind its buckle,
didn’t like the little marks it made on the curtain and, when I had only been
there a day he sent me off to load 2 pickups of shoes for Germany but insisted
I wash down the unit first (it wasn’t mine, I was a floater for the first month)
which very nearly cost us the 2nd collection when I arrived half an hour after
closing time.

We used to wash down on a Saturday, but all mucked in together. This was
unpaid work, unless returning from a trip, but we loved it because we had
loads of wine and groceries brought in followed by delicious coffee, making it
a real weekly social occasion. I think most, like me, regretted the end of it
when the 35 hour week (ha ha) came in and the Ministry told him we had to
put tachos in on a Saturday, driving or not.

Here’s some more pictures