People who run out of fuel on motorways

Coming southbound on the M1 through the roadworks at junction 30 there was a matrix board with the message, “20 people run out of fuel in May” it made me wonder in this day and age how can people be so stupid enough to run out of fuel?
Nearly all modern cars these days tells you how many miles you have left until there is nothing in the tank. Fair enough, if a fault is found with the sender unit, fuel gauge etc than ok but if it’s down to driver stupidity then I feel they should get a fine between £500-£1000 and maybe even 3 points especially when it happens in roadworks where the hard shoulder is used as a live lane as it’s dangerous and not only put their lives at risk but also other motorists and the recovery fella who has to come out to recover them.

I saw that this morning too ,just passed j 30.

Cars may now tell you how many miles they have left but they are far from accurate.
Also people are running cars on a shoestring budget only putting £5 in at a time.
I agree that drivers should be fined for running out on a motorway unless there is a fault with the gauge/sender

My wife and I both reset the trip computers on ours so that should the gauges pack up, we have an idea how much is in the tank (we fill right up each time). My 08 reg 207 has the approx range of the remaining fuel but the wifes’ 59 plate Fiesta doesn’t even tell you the mpg never mind the range.

It’s that Jeremy Clarkson leading the nation to motorway ruin

I have a Focus ST and can just about make it from one services to the next :grimacing:

I have had two cars with Computers that tell you how many miles left in the tank.
One was extremely accurate, the other mostly vague.

First car was a Vauxhall senator. Gave you a measurement to one mile. One the one occasion I ran out (Left wallet at parents house 30 miles away. Set out to get it when computer said 24 miles left.) It was bob on. Gave me the count down till zero showed. Exactly one mile after I ran out.

Second car is my current car. A Volvo. Gives you measurements in 5 miles. Day I bought it, it said it had 20 miles in tank. Then it goes to 15 miles, then just says ‘FUEL’ after. Finally found a garage 30 miles after leaving sellers house. Book says it takes 55 litres. I put in 48 till it stopped. Quite vague and inaccurate I thought.

Darb:
I have a Focus ST and can just about make it from one services to the next :grimacing:

will pass anything but a petrol station :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

isn’t it common sense to never let it drop below a quarter tank as per guage?

i get paid weekly on a Friday and my wife gets paid monthly, sometimes come Thursday we are tight for money, i can see why people struggle to pay fuel bills but still need to use a car :cry:

What gets me is the way people run out of fuel a mile beyond a junction with a petrol station off it… Hardly the expensive fare of MSA’s.

My motor has a 70l tank…

I filled up about two months back and it was low… very, very low. It’s a 2.0tdci diesel and it said 8 miles to empty…

I got 70.9l in it, according to the pump display…

WTF■■?

So, not only was the car still running, I must have more capacity than I thought…

Or Tesco are ripping folk off at the pump…! :laughing:

philgor:

Darb:

will pass anything but a petrol station :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I sometimes pass a petrol station without filling up, But only of I know there’s another very near by … :grimacing:

Keep the top half full.

peterm:
Keep the top half full.

Having a full tank is bad for fuel economy as your dragging all the weight of the fuel around

peirre:
Having a full tank is bad for fuel economy as your dragging all the weight of the fuel around

+1

Have you seen the prices of fuel at motorway services !! :open_mouth:

it is cheaper to break down and get the Recovery Wagon to take you where you want to go !! :laughing:

Truckulent:
My motor has a 70l tank…

I filled up about two months back and it was low… very, very low. It’s a 2.0tdci diesel and it said 8 miles to empty…

I got 70.9l in it, according to the pump display…

WTF■■?

So, not only was the car still running, I must have more capacity than I thought…

Or Tesco are ripping folk off at the pump…! :laughing:

It may be a 70l tank but there is also the volume that the filler neck can also hold.

Is it still legal to carry a can in the boot?

Barty76:
Is it still legal to carry a can in the boot?

If your car is big enough to fit a toilet into it then crack on Drive !! :laughing:

It aint cheap to run out on a motorway.
Company I used to work for charged £10 a litre for run outs.

And I always thought it was a construction and use offence to run out on the motorway? ■■?

But must say when I did go to run outs on m6 they all thought we would just tow them off.
Nope fill them and follow to services to make them fill up.
The boss always charged the breakdown agencies for fuel as he said it aint a breakdown. Its negligence.