Penalty Charge Notices

I got a PCN through from work the other day. I’ve been caught by a fixed ANPR camera using a bus lane in Nottingham city centre, £30.

The offence was a week last Friday, 8th of June. The thing is, I thought that was the only way to access my delivery point and I’ve used it 16 times in the last 28 days; 10 times before 8th June and 5 times after.

I’m expecting fines for the 5 times after but is it safe to assume that I won’t get any fines for offences committed before the 8th June seeing as that is the first one I’ve received?

If it really is the only way to access the delivery then you need to write to them explaining this. If it’s not and you are using the bus lane because it’s shorter and easier then you will have to pay the price.

As for if you will get more tickets will depend on if the camera was activated or facing the right direction

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

There’s three ways in; two are bus/taxi only lanes but the third is bus/taxi only except for loading/unloading. I wasn’t aware of this until now. My fault entirely, I know.

My question is more about the 10 offences committed before the 8th of June. The first time I went through was exactly 28 days ago today, but the first PCN I’ve got was for the offence committed just over a week ago on the 8th. Can I assume that I won’t get any fines for the previous offences because they would be sent out in order, right?

I hope this is the case because it’s the difference between £480 in fines or £180. Just to add, it was the same camera I’ve gone past each time. It’s fixed on the bus lane, I watched it for a bit this morning and it doesn’t move.

Why would I have not received a PCN for each of the 10 previous offences before the 8th June?

Crossing a bus lane is often permitted for access, but driving down it and then turning in may not be.

You should maybe check with the customer,and/or recheck your route.

Some tickets take longer than others to come thru…here’s hoping!

Edit to add: I defended a bus lane ticket succesfully because the 2 photos didn’t show enough info.

Put the details of your drop up, we can look at google maps / street view and see if it’s the only way, if it is, you can print those out and post them as proof that you had to use them.

Also, as 206doorman mentioned, your customer will also be able to confirm if that’s the only way to access their site.

I wouldn’t rule out getting anymore tickets for the next 14 days or so, but wouldn’t worry too much about it, if you can defend 1, you can defend them all

SmashedCrabFace:
I got a PCN through from work the other day. I’ve been caught by a fixed ANPR camera using a bus lane in Nottingham city centre, £30.

The offence was a week last Friday, 8th of June. The thing is, I thought that was the only way to access my delivery point and I’ve used it 16 times in the last 28 days; 10 times before 8th June and 5 times after.

I’m expecting fines for the 5 times after but is it safe to assume that I won’t get any fines for offences committed before the 8th June seeing as that is the first one I’ve received?

Same happened to me in notts used bus lane to get to a drop instead of driving down tram line. Had done it for years then all of sudden got a ticket. Another driver them said you have to drive down tram lines past city hall and do an awkward 3 point turn over 2 zebra crossing to get to drop. I paid it but I had done same thing days after ticket issued before I knew id been caught but never got tickets for other times. Like someone said it depends which way camera is facing

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

I got one for parking a wrecker in a bus lane. I was recovering a broken down bus.

Kin nob heads.

I know what i’ll do next time, park the wrecker in the traffic lane and winch the bus over, so the road is closed completely.
See if that makes them any happier.

A few years ago a bunch of lads I was working with racked up loads of bus lane violations - driving a road planner re-surfacing the bus lane( planning up the old tarmac and relaying a red top coat) and the company incredibly had to take them all to appeal as no appealing to common sense seemed to work

That’s the problem with cameras; they can’t use any discretion or common sense, it’s black and white to them (or colour if it’s an expensive bit of kit).

I’ve been seen loads of times by passing policemen and traffic wardens perhaps parked where I shouldn’t be in order to unload. They look at me, I look at them and then they go on their way without saying anything.

I still can’t understand why I haven’t recieved any fines for the first 10 offences. Maybe I got lucky and a bird had ■■■■ on the camera and it wasn’t cleaned until the 7th? You can’t ■■■■ in Nottingham city centre without a camera detecting it and sending you a PCN. I fear for the future, I really do. It’s only going to get worse.

SmashedCrabFace:
That’s the problem with cameras; they can’t use any discretion or common sense, it’s black and white to them (or colour if it’s an expensive bit of kit).

Too true, got a ‘box junction’ fine a few years ago in London, was in our glorious capital city.
I was stopped at a set of lights at a cross roads, lights turn to green, set off, next minute lights in front of me (pedestrian crossing) turn red, so I stopped at them.

Got a ticket through the post, I was about 3’ into the box junction, still clear of the cross roads, they just like to make them bigger, so I sent it back with a letter along the lines of “open your ■■■■■■■ eyes morons, I’m stopped at a pedestrian crossing, I can’t predict the future” and got a very nicely worded apology back off the ■■■■ heads.

cieranc:
I got one for parking a wrecker in a bus lane. I was recovering a broken down bus.

Kin nob heads.

I know what i’ll do next time, park the wrecker in the traffic lane and winch the bus over, so the road is closed completely.
See if that makes them any happier.

Unbelievable.
Did you pay it mate ?

I remember years ago one of our bus drivers getting a ticket for “parking at a bus stop” whilst changing drivers. Traffic wardens lacked initiative even then.

Got one for undertaking a broken down car on ealing broadway on sainsburys. They paid it without question and first I knew was when the agency told me it was coming out of my pay. They refunded it when I pointed out the law, and threatened legal action but they slung me off the books after

Around Swindon the cameras are mounted on the buses themselves. No bus no ticket.

Wildy:
Around Swindon the cameras are mounted on the buses themselves. No bus no ticket.

Then as the old saying goes, you wait ages for a bus then 2 come along at once. Ticket x 2.

OVLOV JAY:
Got one for undertaking a broken down car on ealing broadway on sainsburys. They paid it without question and first I knew was when the agency told me it was coming out of my pay. They refunded it when I pointed out the law, and threatened legal action but they slung me off the books after

Can you name the agency please ?
As I have something in the pipeline re: Agency work and Sainsburys and if it’s the same one that slung you off their books,I want to tell them to sling it before I even start. :wink:

Crown services in hatfield heath. Got the old “it’s gone really quiet” crap. Funny that, as I had been regularly knocking in 70-80 hrs for 6 months and it was a month before Christmas :unamused:

SmashedCrabFace:

Give us the post code or an address, then the massive will decide if you are guilty or not by looking at the street view

OVLOV JAY:
Crown services in hatfield heath. Got the old “it’s gone really quiet” crap. Funny that, as I had been regularly knocking in 70-80 hrs for 6 months and it was a month before Christmas :unamused:

Cheers mate,great way to treat you :blush: that’s one agency I’ll swerve.

there are some derogations withing the road traffic regulations/highway code.
although cars can’t use the chevrons on an approach to traffic lights, or cross a solid white line in the middle of a road. it is completely legal for a hgv to do these things due to the size of the vehicle, but you have to have good reason for doing it.
so to cross into a bus lane in order to make your turn would be acceptable, but to travel on it without good reason wouldn’t be acceptable.