Peak District.

yorkpensioner:
That ain’t an AEC Marshall. Marshalls were 6 wheelers. 8 wheelers were Mammoth Majors (more than likely AV760 engine. (Marshalls had AV505 engine). Appears to be wrong badge.

From the horses mouth this was bought new as a 3 axle double drive unit and converted in-house :wink:

Does anyone know where Father is loading at this Colliery ?edit it’s Pleasley pit and the load is going to Earles cement at Waterhouse’s ,the haulage was for Noel Prince .

79789A3F-04AC-43A2-AC4A-130808DE940C.jpeg

Middlepeak Quarry

Brielow bar Boxing Day in the 70s the cat is clearing the road for father & Frank Dale to get up to peakstone to load for Selby for the sister company to Sturge chemicals in Birmingham who they normally worked for .
The grader took the tarmac and cats eyes up though :open_mouth: .

Brilliant pics of MP Dan :sunglasses:

The colour shot captures the era superbly.

Punchy Dan:
Brielow bar Boxing Day in the 70s the cat is clearing the road for father & Frank Dale to get up to peakstone to load for Selby for the sister company to Sturge chemicals in Birmingham who they normally worked for .

I reckon that was winter 1978/79 Dan. We were leading gas condensate from Easington on Spurn head to Immingham on Boxing Day and I only got as far as Melton Ross where the A18 and A180 were both blocked.I managed to turn round and took wagon to NCB refinery at Wath on Dearne,dropped trailer and skated to Sheffield where I met wife in pub about 8-00pm after a roughly 16 hour shift. Yes,I know,only a part timer. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

That reminds me of a story a Barlow and Hodgkinson driver told me, he had loaded at Tunstead and was heading back to their yard when a copper stopped him at Brierlow Bar saying the road was impassable. The bobby was frozen so the driver told him to get in the passenger seat for a warm and gave him some drink, after a while he said that he had to have a pee and as soon as he got out it was into gear and away with a line of traffic following him! He got back to the yard OK. :slight_smile:

I remember Ray Gould and myself heading for Tilcons depot at Weaste one saturday morning, it had snowed heavily overnight and when we got through Sterndale Moor we were worried about the drop down to Brierlow Bar but took it steady with the wheels rubbing the verge. All went well until we spotted one of Ratcliffes artics stuck across the X roads, we couldn’t stop but luckily just managed to squeeze past him on the slip road to Harpur Hill!

Pete.

windrush:

Punchy Dan:

That reminds me of a story a Barlow and Hodgkinson driver told me, he had loaded at Tunstead and was heading back to their yard when a copper stopped him at Brierlow Bar saying the road was impassable. The bobby was frozen so the driver told him to get in the passenger seat for a warm and gave him some drink, after a while he said that he had to have a pee and as soon as he got out it was into gear and away with a line of traffic following him! He got back to the yard OK. :slight_smile:

I remember Ray Gould and myself heading for Tilcons depot at Weaste one saturday morning, it had snowed heavily overnight and when we got through Sterndale Moor we were worried about the drop down to Brierlow Bar but took it steady with the wheels rubbing the verge. All went well until we spotted one of Ratcliffes artics stuck across the X roads, we couldn’t stop but luckily just managed to squeeze past him on the slip road to Harpur Hill!

Pete.

Sounds hair raising enough Pete! How did you manage to get down Cemetery Hill?

[attachment=0]BBD10F2C-8518-4416-8B04-E35C2C66A33A.jpeg[/attachment
A Derbyshire Stone Scammell in Middlepeak at night waits for morning to torture the driver :laughing:

BBD10F2C-8518-4416-8B04-E35C2C66A33A.jpeg

Punchy Dan:

Good grief, that brings back memories, Dan!!

One of Barlow’s artics at the old rail load plant at Wirksworth in 1989. Guess the plant was being used to load road vehicles then?

NMP

4C4615E1-E7D4-4F06-B834-F94715317392.jpeg

NMP

youtube.com/watch?v=VGzbKtMG8gU

A couple of lorries to be seen working under High Tor .

Dave the Renegade:

Dan Punchard:

Hi Dan,
There was a chap this way called Arthur Morris who drove a Bedford QL with a lime-spreader body on it for S W Brisbane of Knighton,most of the others had LHD CMC six wheelers.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave

I’ve been searching Trucknet for anything about my grandad ‘Arthur Morris’ & found your old message. Arthur Morris was my grandad & I can remember his Brisbane lime spreader being parked outside his house in Kinnerton, Radnorchire during the 1950’s & 60s. I wondered if you had any more info about him. If so, please could you get back to me.

Thanks

Dave Morris

drm_222:

Dave the Renegade:

Dan Punchard:

Hi Dan,
There was a chap this way called Arthur Morris who drove a Bedford QL with a lime-spreader body on it for S W Brisbane of Knighton,most of the others had LHD CMC six wheelers.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave

I’ve been searching Trucknet for anything about my grandad ‘Arthur Morris’ & found your old message. Arthur Morris was my grandad & I can remember his Brisbane lime spreader being parked outside his house in Kinnerton, Radnorchire during the 1950’s & 60s. I wondered if you had any more info about him. If so, please could you get back to me.

Thanks

Dave Morris

I’m afraid that ‘Dave the Renegade’ sadly departed from this world several years ago, sadly missed as he had a lot of knowledge of that area.

Pete.

Not my Photos.

Derbyshire Stone Albion fleet (NMP)

Stanfield:
Derbyshire Stone Albion fleet (NMP)

Cawdor quarry, Matlock. Now a Sainsburys and housing.

Pete.

I live in Ashbourne now and I very often see a company from Tamworth called Lloyds running through the town and up the A515 around 1800 to 1900 nightly.I wondered where they would be going using that route from Tamworth?