Peak District.

J Marchington & Sons Ltd DoveHoles (NMP)

Stanfield:

The late Gerald Morris’s lorry with the drop side body , it was about a year old when I started there and Gerald kept in new condition , he used to wash the body down with diesel to stop the lime sticking . Diesel was as cheap as chips in the 60s .

rigsby:

Stanfield:

The late Gerald Morris’s lorry with the drop side body , it was about a year old when I started there and Gerald kept in new condition , he used to wash the body down with diesel to stop the lime sticking . Diesel was as cheap as chips in the 60s .

HI Rigsby
Am i right in thinking that Marchington are still operating in stone sales based in Stockport and if so are they still running trucks?

Stanfield:

rigsby:

Stanfield:

HI Rigsby
Am i right in thinking that Marchington are still operating in stone sales based in Stockport and if so are they still running trucks?

No John , Marchington stone was a completely unrelated company . The original Marchington was taken over by a fly by night operater (Callahan and Marchington all fur coat and no knickers type of firm )all new aec motors . They lasted a year and went bust big style , I quit 2 weeks before , so at least I got paid . They thought they were going to muscle in , but Sam Longson had a stranglehold on the ICI job and Marchington had always subbed for him before .

Birdie4x4:
This might be of interest to someone, pinched off of a Facebook site, I started my HGV driving career at Toft’s back in 1973.
The windscreen wipers were useful!!
Steve

As indeed was the mirror!

David

Longcliffe Foden.

longcliffe foden w.PNG

rigsby:

Stanfield:

rigsby:

Stanfield:

HI Rigsby

No John , Marchington stone was a completely unrelated company . The original Marchington was taken over by a fly by night operater (Callahan and Marchington all fur coat and no knickers type of firm )all new aec motors . They lasted a year and went bust big style , I quit 2 weeks before , so at least I got paid . They thought they were going to muscle in , but Sam Longson had a stranglehold on the ICI job and Marchington had always subbed for him before .

Hi Rigsby
Yes I remember Callaghan well ,My boss at John Biesty was going to buy some of the AECs they ran after they finished quite a few of them were for sale at Manchester based Kaye Goodfellows yard which wasnt to far away from Biesty yard in Collyhurst M/chester.
This is one of Bonkys photos he sent me.(hope he wont mind me using it)

Those were a cancelled Wimpey order , evil beasts with 760 engine and short wheelbase . Capable of a wheelie loaded up Tunstead hill and not fond of corners , they tried to go straight unless you backed the power off . They had a load of light 8wheelers and dump trailer artics and one erf artic tipper . That one was involved in a fatal rta in Shropshire and written off . I reckon the end came when a local driver went barrelling down the ( then )narrow road between Wilmslow and Ringway and took out about 7 cars , including a Rolls and a couple of Jags . There were insurance claims every week so I suppose the insurance companies called a halt . I went past on the Monday and the gates were blocked and a load of Lex Tillotson drivers were taking the lorries away

Anyone remember these from Macclesfield (NMP)

Stanfield:

Yes I remember them,their yard was on Whaley Bridge road out of Macclesfield.

Chris Webb:

Stanfield:

Yes I remember them,their yard was on Whaley Bridge road out of Macclesfield.

Bolshaw is still running a Scania with tank trailer , does 2or3 trips a week with hydrated lime to Ireland . He had his own hydrating plant at one time but I don’t know if he still has though .

That ain’t an AEC Marshall. Marshalls were 6 wheelers. 8 wheelers were Mammoth Majors (more than likely AV760 engine. (Marshalls had AV505 engine). Appears to be wrong badge.

yorkpensioner:
That ain’t an AEC Marshall. Marshalls were 6 wheelers. 8 wheelers were Mammoth Majors (more than likely AV760 engine. (Marshalls had AV505 engine). Appears to be wrong badge.

Unless it was a 6 wheeler originally, hold a finger over the 2 nd steer :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

yorkpensioner:

Unless it was a 6 wheeler originally, hold a finger over the 2 nd steer :laughing:

Check the fuel tank. Not a Marshall tank

yorkpensioner:

Bowmans of Hexham ran a few 8 wheeler AEC Marshalls They were a light weight version With a AV 505 Engine, This was 1970ish, Regards Larry.

There were a few lightweight Marshall eight leggers around when I worked in Reading.

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … introduced

Pete.

All the Marchington and Callahan 8 wheelers were lightweights with the 505 engine , I drove them and Bolshaws had the av760 , his yard was up in the hills so it needed the power . Most of the smaller firms on the lime job favoured the 760 , everywhere you went out of Buxton was uphill , probably why the Fodens with the 12 speed box was so popular .

rigsby:
All the Marchington and Callahan 8 wheelers were lightweights with the 505 engine , I drove them and Bolshaws had the av760 , his yard was up in the hills so it needed the power . Most of the smaller firms on the lime job favoured the 760 , everywhere you went out of Buxton was uphill , probably why the Fodens with the 12 speed box was so popular .

My apologies. An underpowered 8 wheeler!!!

No apologies needed , C and M bought all the stuff that was cheap or cancelled orders , all got repossessed in a year anyway . Only good thing , the fleet engineer was a star , nothing went out faulty and god help you if you didn’t report faults , he would have you sacked for that .

A E Evans bought a Marshal Major with the AV505,some came with a downrated AV760 I think.Anyroad they replaced it with a AV760 that they had reconditioned.It was a grand machine,well on top of job at 24t gross.