Paying towards accident

was reading a thread[ cant find it now] where someone said they get there drivers to pay 250 quid towards accidents,i must admit i couldnt believe it, i was telling my mate about it and he said you want to read ours prperly as weve got to pay the excess 250 quid, is that a regular thing then :question:

Is this a wind-up? Drivers paying for the company’s insurance policy?!!!

What next? Drivers paying for the wagon’s diesel too■■?

I reckon it is just to scare folk, so they don’t go ramming all the idiots in cars of the road.

How would the get the money anyway?

ady:
was reading a thread[ cant find it now] where someone said they get there drivers to pay 250 quid towards accidents,i must admit i couldnt believe it, i was telling my mate about it and he said you want to read ours prperly as weve got to pay the excess 250 quid, is that a regular thing then :question:

Don’t know if they’re allowed to do that or not, but i have seen a few companies that do that. None i have actually worked for.

When I was in IT the company I worked for used to do that with the van drivers, plus parking fines AND missed congestion charge fines - then again some of them were so bad that they ended up owing the company.

I know a guy whose agency asked him to pay towards a bump, he told them to ■■■■ right off - they still kept him on anyway !!!

G

We get a bonus for not damaging the lorry. It’s not a lot, but better than nothing. If we do cause damage then the bonus goes for the whole month.

Ask your boss if you can see the insurance certificate for the vehicle and ask him to point out the bit that says the driver must pay the excess!!>

Or tell him to ■■■■ off and get another job, you might just have to wait until some Polish driver wants to leave one.

We get a bonus for not damaging the lorry. It’s not a lot, but better than nothing. If we do cause damage then the bonus goes for the whole month.

I’ve come across that one before as well.

Ken.

The “” accident free payment"" is used over here in
Germany by many firms,so that the driver has a
added incentive,also if the accident is found to
have been a result of the driver due to IMPROPER
DRIVEING then he can be asked to pay a certain
amount towaards the costs,but this is only used when
it has been proven in court the the driver was at fault,
and this is legal in Germany as well.,

not a wind up rob, it says
in order to control the number of vehicle accidents, the following policy is relevant to all drivers of company owned and hired vehicles
in the event of blameworthy accidents as defined by the vehicle insurance underwriters, the following disciplinary measures will be taken
all accidents occurring within a 12 month rolling period will apply to this policy

1 formal written warning

2 the driver will pay the relevant insurance excess[ currently 250 pounds] plus final written warning

3 dismissal

i think it was on robbies dads thread where it was said someone charged there drivers the first 250
as i said id never noticed it [ just another bit of paper chucked in the drawer], just wondered if it was a regular thing

There’s a case in last weeks Commercial Motor about a driver who got his £250 back after going to an industrial tribunal.Although the clause about drivers having to pay the excess in the case of a blame-worthy accident was in the contract of employment,he had never signed it,so it was not legally binding.My understanding is that it then becomes an illegal deduction.

So,if it’s in your contract and you signed it,whether you read it or not,you’ll just have to cough up.

and if you refuse to sign your contract they can dismiss you anyway. :wink:

Personaly i wouldnt mind. I avoid acidents anyway, so it would rarely if ever affect me. Worked (work) with a few people that just dont give a ■■■■.

If you can compare paying for accidents with paying for diesel then maybe you’re having too many prangs :laughing:

dennisw1:
and if you refuse to sign your contract they can dismiss you anyway. :wink:

You’d probably find that signing your contract or not doesn’t make a hoot of a difference if you still continue to work for a firm (and they won’t necessarily sack you for not signing), by doing so employment law would probably deem you to have accepted the terms of the contract by having worked on as before ie ‘Custom & Practice’,- unwritten contract . The only way you’d get out of it would be by manually endorsing the contract to reject that particular clause, which, if your gaffer then permitted you to work on with, would be taken as the companies acceptance of your disagreement with the clause. If it concerns you (and it should) look into the term ‘Custom & Practice’. Companies use it against employees all the time at Tribunals, it’s basically all the wee favours you do in the course of a day which aren’t your job but do anyway, they become an unwritten part of your contract when the company turns the screw. It also works the other way so it’s worth familiarising yourself with.

ady:
in order to control the number of vehicle accidents, the following policy is relevant to all drivers of company owned and hired vehicles
in the event of blameworthy accidents as defined by the vehicle insurance underwriters, the following disciplinary measures will be taken
all accidents occurring within a 12 month rolling period will apply to this policy

1 formal written warning

2 the driver will pay the relevant insurance excess[ currently 250 pounds] plus final written warning

3 dismissal

i think it was on robbies dads thread where it was said someone charged there drivers the first 250
as i said id never noticed it [ just another bit of paper chucked in the drawer], just wondered if it was a regular thing

This is nothing short of hilarious. Why do muppets work for these cowboy outfits? :unamused:

Rob K:

ady:

1 formal written warning

3 dismissal

This is nothing short of hilarious. Why do muppets work for these cowboy outfits? :unamused:

Because they can’t get a job elswhere and don’t want to be out of work?

ady:

1 formal written warning

3 dismissal

Unless you’ve received a contract of employment which contain the above, it’s unenforcable.

do people actually get paid for “not” smashing a motor?? :confused:

I worked for a company last year that had a similar thing. Though it was more aimed at drivers that often damaged the waggons. You got three chances, the third time you damaged a waggon it cost you £250. i think there was a time limit but I can’t remember exactly how it worked. It was for own fault accidents and they accepted you are going to have the odd scrape. One driver managed to get there in one day, three accidents one day. Couldn’t help thinking the firm had a point

Nothing more disheartening than getting a decent motor and watching someone else smash it up.
The rear bumper on our Actros is scrap. It’s only a 55reg.

slightly off subject …i weas talking to a driver at an RDC while ago …and he said his company was paying £500 to have the air-con removed on all the new vehicles…talk about being tight …saiod it was something to do with the fuel consumption…now that beats the biscuit…