Paying to get tipped?

So I arrive at 1st drop about 15 mins then get tipped, after paperwork forkie says that’ll be a fiver!!! so took it as a joke an said aye well that’s us even it cost you a fiver for me to deliver it. But the more I think about it the more I’m sure he was serious!

So does anyone or has anyone paid to get tipped before??

I’m pretty new to all this but can’t see every driver paying a fiver to get tipped,

You should have charged him a fiver for the delivery and another fiver for opening the trailer up :wink:

I’d be skint, got 7 drops today lol

Never have done, never will do !

martinviking:
Never have done, never will do !

+1
Next time tell him to put it back on :wink:

They seemed quite ■■■■■■ about it tho lol. Sort off made me think the other drivers have paid.

Told me they new my face an next time I’d wait all night to get tipped lol.

What the hells that all about? lol

At the minute where i work in a warehouse 90% of my time is unloading trailers, curtainsiders. I think im the only one on 3 departments who doesnt keep them waiting, I unloaded 6 trailers of car bumpers (large boxes on wooden pallets 15 per trailer) in around 15 minutes, tell em to open there curtains and wait in line, bish bash bosh lol :slight_smile: its funny the amount of drivers make a song and dance about there running out of driving time when most of them just want to get home, they for some reason think theyve got a 1 - 2 hour wait, i have em in and out that quick they dont have to turn the engine off :slight_smile:

Only place I’ve encountered this is when delivering to customers who work from self storage centres. If customer refuses to pay the forks then they don’t help you unload.
As others have said they either want the stuff or they don’t.

weren’t in the fruit or meat market was it ■■

nick2008:

Fruit market!! Does that make a difference? Lol

1st time I’d been so jus thought they we’re takin the ■■■■, until I was leaving and they seemed quite serious.

Pretty common in usa

When I did the early morning wholesale markets many years ago it was common practice. The forkies were supplied by the market rather than the individual traders so it was always a case of trying to persuade one of them to do their jobs or pay them. Gaffer at the time knew the crack so just gave us cash to pay every night, especially as a full load might be split between half a dozen different traders within the market. Always used to amuse me that I would pull in and get tipped immediately when other, non-regular, non-paying, drivers had been sitting for a couple of hours already.

andy1207:

nick2008:

Fruit market!! Does that make a difference? Lol

Yes the forklift drivers are employed by the market not the wholesaler. I always when asked to pay went and got the wholesaler . And the forkies on building sites are usually their for different contractors and will help other contractors for a drink .if the contractor your delivering to won’t pay up I normally point out there is a lot of hand balling for them that usuall gets them to cough up

Liverpool docks circa 1980’s anybody?

the maoster:
Liverpool docks circa 1980’s anybody?

Yep, used to deliver there in a 7.5 ton & later in a 16 tonner/day cabs, sat there for hours & hours but still never bribed any body to do ‘Their Job’

■■■ HOLES !

Usually keep a crate of French beer in the cab just in case of a delay, cost £5…value priceless.

was common on the night deliverys to slip the market forkies a fiver. in end i think my old gaffer slipped forkies manager a 20 cos we was able to get a forktruck when we arrived and tip ourselves lol (while getting a 30 minute break in :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the Pitchers in the old Smithfield market in the 70’s worked a lot better with a few quid in their sky rocket. if you had a load of hanging meat you needed all the help you could get.

andy1207:
They seemed quite ■■■■■■ about it tho lol. Sort off made me think the other drivers have paid.

Told me they new my face an next time I’d wait all night to get tipped lol.

Are you paid by the hour?

“Not a problem mate, I’ll be on the bunk…I don’t mind sleeping for £15 per hour” (tell them that even if you are only on £8ph…it really winds them up that your not bothered and that by them being ■■■■■■■■■ is benefiting you not hindering you)