Pay, N/O Money, and Memory

Following from another thread about current N/O money we got into what N/O money used to be.

Here is the JIC agreement for the 2/49 Southampton 1986 and paysheet from 1986.
JIC86.pdf (179.7 KB)
Pay1986-compressed.pdf (138.4 KB)

In 1986 all (?) the companies in So’ton were paying the JIC rates or more. All drivers were in the union to gain access to the docks, and in our case to Fawley refinery.

£2-69 per hr,
Time and a half after 8hr per day
Time and a third between 8pm and 6am
£2 for every hr before 05hr00
Extra for 38T
If in Fawley for over 4hrs a day, then £4-17 per hr for all hrs.
Double plus day off for B/Hol
Extra for using crane
Extra £2-20 per day for being a good boy
Night Out £12-20 plus 50p meals.
First 45 break unpaid, the rest paid.

Now £1 then is about £2-84 to day.

So…
The basic 40hrs then would be £107 > £305 today.
N/O £12-20 then > £35 ish today

P60 for April 1986 says
Gross £10,300 and
£2,414 tax £913 NI taken off.
About £7 k take home. £20 k today.

That is all without looking at house prices, interest on mortgage etc etc etc.

That’s food for thought. I don’t have any of my pay details from the 1980s, but 1986 I was working in retail (a record shop), and if I can remember even half-way correctly, my gross pay was about the same as this basic pay, but with the bonus of basically listening to music all day and it being a great way to meet girls :grinning: Even on those wages I recall having a comfortable life-style, a night on the beer with a pizza wouldn’t put a big dent in the finances, and there was never a problem managing the mortgage and other outgoings. It’s mad to think my first property purchase back in 1982 was smaller than some of my current limits for a credit card today.

All very different then…

Houses were cheaper compared to annual pay.
But interest rates higher.

Fewer cars per family, and generally older I think, fewer bought new.

Lots of variables.

I can feel The Four Yorkshire Men sketch straining to make an appearance :grinning:

1 Like

many people i have spoken to that drove early 2000 were on day rate of around 100 pounds. I remember speaking to an supermarket driver in the pub around 2008 and he said Sundays was 20 an hour. no weekend rate now and wage is 17 - 19.93 after an argument with the union

I was on £100 per day in the '90’s. Different company to the pay sheets above.
£100 per day, half a day minimum for any work done. £25 night out.
But they didn’t limit it to 7 days a week…If you were given a difficult job then you could argue yourself an extra day or so.

8 or 9 days pay, plus 7 N/O, and having some weekend time at home was possible.
That would involve doing half shifts late at night, minimum break and fly off again ASAP, being on Daily Rest when clearing customs, the sort of ferry breaks that would get you in serious trouble today, etc etc.

Other times it was just the basic £100 plus £25 for sitting on a beach in Ibiza for 4 days, or a for a weekend in Estoril.