PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

nilocekyd:

Gazza67:
HI THERE MY NAME IS GARY AND I CAME ACROSS THIS FORUM LOOKING FOR WHAT HAPPENED TO A E EVANS MY DAD WORKED FOR A E EVANS AND R E EVANS AND ASSURED MOVEMENTS BEFORE RETIRING IN 2000 I REMEMBER RICHARD HE HAD IS YARD IN OLIVER ROAD WEST THURROCK I WORKED NEXT DOOR AT A T STEVENS
MY DAD STARTED IN ABOUT 1960 AT RIPPLE ROAD HE USED TO DRIVE THE BATTLESHIP GREY AEC LORRIES SOUNDED QUITE NOISEY I USED TO GO WITH HIM WHEN I WAS LAD RICHARD USED TO HAVE SOME 8 WHEELERS TANKERS AS WELL MY DAD ALSO DROVE A LEYLAND MARATHON IN GREY AS WELL I REMEMBER THE YARD THE WORKSHOP WAS AT THE FRONT AND MY DAD SAID THEY USED TO GO TO THE SHIP AND SHOVEL PUB AND PLAY CARDS AFTER WORK.
MY DADS NICK NAME WAS TED ( KENNY) I ALSO REMEMBER RONNIE HEATH AND BOBBY BONES MY DAD WAS MADE REDUNDANT FROM A E EVANS IN ABOUT 1984 I THINK AND GOT A JOB WITH R E EVANS STRAIGHT AWAY I REMEMBER HE USED TO DO WORK FOR SAMUEL BANNER AND GELPE AND BATES HE USED TO LOAD UP AT THAMES MATEX OIL REFINERY IN WEST THURROCK.
MY UNCLE USED TO WORK FOR A E EVANS AS WELL JOHN CARTER BEFORE GIVING UP DRIVING/ MY DAD DROVE AN DAF AND SEDDON ATIKINSON FOR RICHARD EVANS THAT WAS IN A BLUE COLOUR

REGARDS GARY INGRAM

Hi Gary and welcome to Trucknet. there is a thread about tanker companies which can be found by clicking:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … s#p2758636

we are also very lucky to have Mr Chris Webb, an ex- AE Evans employee and all round tanker aficionado.
if you use the search option an put in A E Evans it will also bring up thousands of posts regarding the company.

i guess we are all getting on a bit but you really don’t need to shout at us. :smiley: :smiley:

HI THERE
this is gary my dad worked for A.E.EVANS HIS NICKNAME WAS TED
I HAVE A PHOTO I AM TRYING TO UPLOAD BUT NOT BEING VERY SUCCESSFUL AT THE MOMENT BE WILL KEEP TRYING I DON’T KNOW IF I HAVE TO BE APPROVED FIRST

REGARDS

Gazza67:

nilocekyd:

Gazza67:
HI THERE MY NAME IS GARY AND I CAME ACROSS THIS FORUM LOOKING FOR WHAT HAPPENED TO A E EVANS MY DAD WORKED FOR A E EVANS AND R E EVANS AND ASSURED MOVEMENTS BEFORE RETIRING IN 2000 I REMEMBER RICHARD HE HAD IS YARD IN OLIVER ROAD WEST THURROCK I WORKED NEXT DOOR AT A T STEVENS
MY DAD STARTED IN ABOUT 1960 AT RIPPLE ROAD HE USED TO DRIVE THE BATTLESHIP GREY AEC LORRIES SOUNDED QUITE NOISEY I USED TO GO WITH HIM WHEN I WAS LAD RICHARD USED TO HAVE SOME 8 WHEELERS TANKERS AS WELL MY DAD ALSO DROVE A LEYLAND MARATHON IN GREY AS WELL I REMEMBER THE YARD THE WORKSHOP WAS AT THE FRONT AND MY DAD SAID THEY USED TO GO TO THE SHIP AND SHOVEL PUB AND PLAY CARDS AFTER WORK.
MY DADS NICK NAME WAS TED ( KENNY) I ALSO REMEMBER RONNIE HEATH AND BOBBY BONES MY DAD WAS MADE REDUNDANT FROM A E EVANS IN ABOUT 1984 I THINK AND GOT A JOB WITH R E EVANS STRAIGHT AWAY I REMEMBER HE USED TO DO WORK FOR SAMUEL BANNER AND GELPE AND BATES HE USED TO LOAD UP AT THAMES MATEX OIL REFINERY IN WEST THURROCK.
MY UNCLE USED TO WORK FOR A E EVANS AS WELL JOHN CARTER BEFORE GIVING UP DRIVING/ MY DAD DROVE AN DAF AND SEDDON ATIKINSON FOR RICHARD EVANS THAT WAS IN A BLUE COLOUR

REGARDS GARY INGRAM

THIS IS MY DAD WITH HIS LEYLAND MARATHON NOT SURE WHERE IT WAS TAKEN AS MY DAD PASSED AWAY 2 YEARS AGO HOPE THIS IS OF SOME USE TO CHRIS WEBB

MANY THANKS

Hi Gary and welcome to Trucknet. there is a thread about tanker companies which can be found by clicking:

we are also very lucky to have Mr Chris Webb, an ex- AE Evans employee and all round tanker aficionado.
if you use the search option an put in A E Evans it will also bring up thousands of posts regarding the company.

i guess we are all getting on a bit but you really don’t need to shout at us. :smiley: :smiley:

HI THERE
I HAVE A PHOTO I AM TRYING TO UPLOAD BUT NOT BEING VERY SUCCESSFUL AT THE MOMENT BE WILL KEEP TRYING I DON’T KNOW IF I HAVE TO BE APPROVED FIRST

REGARDS

Bumping Paul and Dean up to top with some AECs. :smiley:

aec5.jpg

Some great looking AEC’s Chris.
Thanks for posting.Butlers from Maltby,taken over by Tarmac in 1979.
I will add some you have seen already.

img027 (640 x 497).jpg

Hollands Pies lorry at Sharpys Fish & Chip restaurant next to the Wigan Athletic football ground.
Picture from Mick, Wigan Album.

Gazza67:

nilocekyd:

Gazza67:

REGARDS GARY INGRAM

HI THERE

REGARDS

Great photos of the AEC’s Chris, thanks for posting them.

Chris Webb:

nice photos Chris,
includes an ex-Clapcott which is still about. XYP 136 new to Shell in 1961 then joined the Clapcott fleet seen here sitting at the Wytch Farm crude oil facility near Poole.

then served time at Moore and Hipkins at Bodmin (as in your photo)
not sure who owns/runs it now but this is the most recent photo I have.

regards

Colin

Dorset wagons, credit to eastleighbusman for the photos.
Oily

nilocekyd:

Chris Webb:

nice photos Chris,
includes an ex-Clapcott which is still about. XYP 136 new to Shell in 1961 then joined the Clapcott fleet seen here sitting at the Wytch Farm crude oil facility near Poole.

then served time at Moore and Hipkins at Bodmin (as in your photo)
not sure who owns/runs it now but this is the most recent photo I have.

regards

Colin

Thanks Colin,I didn’t know XYP 136 was ex Clapcotts.

Here’s a few more AECs…

evans203.jpg

Chris Webb:

Here’s a few more AECs…

evening Chris,

Good that we can still keep learning things.

keep things moving along here with some classics, all with a South Coast connection in one way or another.

Strong’s Brewery of Romsey.

strongs_003.jpg

Hill’s of Botley

Hills2.JPG

Marley truck pictured in Southampton Town Centre

Victory Transport from Rownhams

regards
Colin

Chris Webb:

Some great shots ,the BRS Mandator is from Mitcheldean in the Forest of Dean ,regards Keith

ERF-NGC-European:

ParkRoyal2100:

DEANB:
Euro Test 1980.

Click on pages twice to read.

Magic, thanks Deano, I remember buying that issue and reading it. It baffles me why DAF fielded the DKSE when it was clearly out of its league.

At ‘only’ 280 horses, the DAF was going to struggle a bit to keep up; but I reckon the real reason for its apparent lack of performance was the fact that all the others had Fuller boxes whereas the DAF had the notoriously ■■■■■■■■■■ synchro ZF. Previous Euro-tests demonstrated how well Fuller-equipped units performed on that gruelling Ardenne test course: not only were gearshifts super-quick on the upshift whilst climbing the hills (with judicious use of the intertia or clutch-brake), but a Jake-brake meant you could descend the hills quicker too. Ironically, UK-spec DKSEs were fitted with 9sp Fullers. Perhaps they should have sent one of those! Incidentally, DAF did eventually make those ZF boxes slick too, but not till the 95XF came out.

I drove all 3 versions of 2800 regularly, as you say the DKSE could be a bit lethargic, we had two identical and one pulled far better than the other, the slow one no better than the 2600 which preceeded it.

The one that surprised me the most was the supposedly basic DKTD model, which sported a back to front constant mesh box (can’t remember which make now) as i recall a 6 speed with splitter, 1st being closest to you and 6th/12th being as far away as possible, obviously set for LHD.
The one i drove was an ex Gelders motor, whether Gelders had them uprated i don’t know but it went like the clappers with rapid gearchanges, my mate who had a Roadranger boxed Crusader with 290 Rolls on the same weight work couldn’t live with it.

You are right though, a good gearbox makes the world of difference to how a vehicle performs if you can keep that all important momentum going.

nilocekyd:

Chris Webb:

Here’s a few more AECs…

evening Chris,

Good that we can still keep learning things.

keep things moving along here with some classics, all with a South Coast connection in one way or another.

Strong’s Brewery of Romsey.

Hill’s of Botley

Marley truck pictured in Southampton Town Centre

Victory Transport from Rownhams

regards
Colin

nilocekyd
Hill’s Scammell Explorar on route from Hythe Station to Fawley Power Station construction site 1 of many loads

moomooland:
1That’s an Associated Dairies Seddon Atkinson now known as ASDA.

The company was founded in 1949 when the supermarket owning Asquith family merged with the Associated Dairies company of Yorkshire.

I’ve been looking for photos of the old Asda lorries for ages. My Dad drove for Associated/Asda way back when, and I remember him driving Spedding Atkinson’s. He used to run out of Lofthouse or Wakefield I think back in the 80’s and I remember him taking me to Scotland with him. Loved those times, precious memories and I’m now just about to begin my own C+E journey tramping too.

I remember being awestruck about the sheer size of these things and I remember being so proud when he brought it home sometimes and practically filled the street with it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juddian:
At ‘only’ 280 horses, the DAF was going to struggle a bit to keep up; but I reckon the real reason for its apparent lack of performance was the fact that all the others had Fuller boxes whereas the DAF had the notoriously ■■■■■■■■■■ synchro ZF. Previous Euro-tests demonstrated how well Fuller-equipped units performed on that gruelling Ardenne test course: not only were gearshifts super-quick on the upshift whilst climbing the hills (with judicious use of the intertia or clutch-brake), but a Jake-brake meant you could descend the hills quicker too. Ironically, UK-spec DKSEs were fitted with 9sp Fullers. Perhaps they should have sent one of those! Incidentally, DAF did eventually make those ZF boxes slick too, but not till the 95XF came out.

Juddian wrote: "I drove all 3 versions of 2800 regularly, as you say the DKSE could be a bit lethargic, we had two identical and one pulled far better than the other, the slow one no better than the 2600 which preceeded it.
The one that surprised me the most was the supposedly basic DKTD model, which sported a back to front constant mesh box (can’t remember which make now) as i recall a 6 speed with splitter, 1st being closest to you and 6th/12th being as far away as possible, obviously set for LHD.
The one i drove was an ex Gelders motor, whether Gelders had them uprated i don’t know but it went like the clappers with rapid gearchanges, my mate who had a Roadranger boxed Crusader with 290 Rolls on the same weight work couldn’t live with it.
You are right though, a good gearbox makes the world of difference to how a vehicle performs if you can keep that all important momentum going.
[/quote]
Probably this:

Hi, mated TOT good may times back in the day.

ERF-NGC-European:

Juddian:

Juddian wrote: "I drove all 3 versions of 2800 regularly, as you say the DKSE could be a bit lethargic, we had two identical and one pulled far better than the other, the slow one no better than the 2600 which preceeded it.

Probably this:

[/quote]
AArgh, hoped i’d never have to lay my eyes on a 2300 again, just awful, wouldn’t pull you out of bed.
The DKTD i mentioned had a full size 2800 cab, and would leave the other 2800’s behind, so definately not a 2300.
Yet funnily enough, where i worked at the time was all DAF, and he bought a brand new 2500, one of the first in the country, couldn’t have been more different from the dreadful 2300 despite the indentical cab.
Pulled really well, but whatever they did to the steering…i understand the first Daf to have roller bearing King Pins…but happy to be corrected if thats wrong, anyway it steered and handled really well, so what you lost to the slightly more powerful 2800 you made up for with the sheer chuckability of the smaller cab.

Also, by boss of the time had the drive axle tyres off before the 2500 went on the road (all same tread pattern in those days, saving them for steer axles), and had a set of Kenprest remoulds put across the back, to say i was unimpressed is putting it mildly.
However did i have to eat my words, the best gripping tyres i’ve ever known in the wet, you could not unstick the thing.
Only this year have i found a wet grip drive axle tyre as good, Bridgestone Duravis R drive 002 (snowflake stamped too), so its only taken 35 years or so to find a wet grip tyre as good as the Kenprests :smiling_imp:

The DKSE 2800 I drove had a 9-sp Fuller in it. It was always loaded with empty milk bottles so performance wasn’t too bad.

Bumping the thread back up with some favourites of mine, for various reasons. all previously posted by Dean.

BF0011.JPG

CRA519T.jpg

VBO.jpg

PCG925T.jpg

regards
Colin