PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Suedehead:
Were the Ford Transcons British made , i thought they were built in Holland ?
Or am i having a senior moment :blush:

Most were built in Amsterdam and a few hundred were made at the Foden factory, not much British about them really with them fitting a Berliet cab, ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  engine and Eaton transmission.

Pete.

windrush:

Suedehead:

Most were built in Amsterdam and a few hundred were made at the Foden factory, not much British about them really with them fitting a Berliet cab, ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  engine and Eaton transmission.

Pete.

Cheers for that, didnt realise that a few were assembled in Britain

Hi Dean
hope you are well
been absent for a while but have been catching up.Some brilliant stuff, and thanks especially for the Drinkwater Sabey gems.Apologies if its already been identified but the Foden roll on off back a bit was from Four Point hire, who had a big contract in Watford Herts, running a mixed fleet of Foden, Volvo and Ford Cargo artics, with V6 Deutzs I think.
Keep up the excellent work with this thread mate.

Dean a blast from the past, Bulk tip was run by E.J.Thomas from Alton and had many subbies back in the day, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Dean a blast from the past, Bulk tip was run by E.J.Thomas from Alton and had many subbies back in the day, Buzzer

Alton , that brings back a few memories we delivered glass there a few years back i had a night out there , i canā€™t remember the name of the firm but next door the bloke sold American motor homes

ramone:

Buzzer:

Alton , that brings back a few memories we delivered glass there a few years back i had a night out there , i canā€™t remember the name of the firm but next door the bloke sold American motor homes

Alton Greenhouses I seem to remember ramone
Oily

windrush:

Suedehead:

Pete.

I think only the LHD versions were built in Amsterdam, Iā€™ll see if I can find some more info about that.

DEANB:

ArcDaz:
ā€œDEANBā€

Daz, RMC Routeman.
Dean what a lovely set of mixed photos you have posted up on this thread today many thanks again for the RMC Scamell Routeman tipper nice to see on one on a p reg cracking shot budddy daz :wink: :sunglasses:

Morning Daz, What was that the last year they built the Routeman ? Think the Constructor came out about 1980. :wink:
Hi Dean w and x reg were the last of the routemans built 1980 then the Constructor came out in 1980

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dean, This Reed Transport Volvo that you posted recently is probably loaded with
pallets of new cardboard boxes produced by Reed Corrugated Cases, also part of the
Reed Group. From early 1973, I drove for Reed Transport at their Wigan factory for
about a year, but I didnt fit in well because my attitude to working hard for a living
wasnt in line with many of the drivers who were to the extreme left of lefties. It was
as though the Transport & General Workers Union were in charge of running the job.

Cheers, Ray.

Thanks for the comments Ray. That makes sense as that did seem a high load for paper rolls. :wink:

Chris Webb:
Hi Dean.
Helsby and Longden are from Helsby Cheshire,always to be seen in Shell Chemicals Stanlow and still operating.
And Milehams Transport were from Purfleet I think.

Thanks for the comments / info Chris,good stuff chap. :wink:

windrush:
JWQ had depots in Swindon, Reading and several other places. There is a thread on here about them. We had one of their ex fitters in Reading come and work for us and he told us about draining the oil from the trucks engines down the kerbside drains! T. Mileham were London and Bristol based, they were regulars on the old A4 through Reading with Bedford TK artics.

Pete.

Thanks for the comments Pete. :wink: Oil down the drainsā€¦ :imp:

240 Gardner:
ā€œjshepguisā€ Hi Dean still appreciate all yours, Pauls and Marks efforts in keeping this thread going it is still first port of call for me. On the Rosier Transport, they took over F&F Robinson on Teesside but i think they also had depots around the country Newhaven and Ipswich were others at least. Once again looked like another company that grew quickly then went into liquidation.

As I recall, the Rosier name disappeared because Brian Rosier sold out, not because the business failed. It ended up with DHL but Iā€™ve a vague recollection that the initial sale was to Exel

Cheers Chris. :wink:

pete smith:
ā€œ240 Gardnerā€

As I recall, the Rosier name disappeared because Brian Rosier sold out, not because the business failed. It ended up with DHL but Iā€™ve a vague recollection that the initial sale was to Exel

Hi Chris,
I believe it was Securicor Omega logistics he sold out to as the Telford work and the tankers parked in Oldbury had Securicor units pulling the trailers

Not easy remembering who bought who out.There seem to be so many companies changing hands its difficult to keep up ! :laughing:

Suedehead:
Probably wrong(usually am) but is this the same Rosier that (allegedly)got involved with GBE and in later years MAT transport ?

ā€œSuedeheadā€ Sorry dont know chap. :wink:

roadcruiser:
ā€œDEANBā€

Anyone recognise the reg of the ERF ā– ā– 
This was new to Bartrums

Well spotted ā€œroadcruiserā€ :smiley:

Hereā€™s one in Bartrums colours. :wink:

roadcruiser:
ā€œDEANBā€

Dont think we have had a Treasure ERF motor on before,anyone know about them ā– ā– 
J O Treasure are from Grantham ,their vehicles back then were usually green (now green /silver),they ran a number of ERF ,now running mostly scanias with a couple of DAF and few Mercedesā€¦
[/quote]
Good stuff ā€œroadcruiserā€ ,thanks for the info. :wink:
[/quote]

DEANB:
Euro Test 1980.

Click on pages twice to read.

Magic, thanks Deano, I remember buying that issue and reading it. It baffles me why DAF fielded the DKSE when it was clearly out of its league.

ParkRoyal2100:

DEANB:
Euro Test 1980.

Click on pages twice to read.

Magic, thanks Deano, I remember buying that issue and reading it. It baffles me why DAF fielded the DKSE when it was clearly out of its league.

At ā€˜onlyā€™ 280 horses, the DAF was going to struggle a bit to keep up; but I reckon the real reason for its apparent lack of performance was the fact that all the others had Fuller boxes whereas the DAF had the notoriously ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  synchro ZF. Previous Euro-tests demonstrated how well Fuller-equipped units performed on that gruelling Ardenne test course: not only were gearshifts super-quick on the upshift whilst climbing the hills (with judicious use of the intertia or clutch-brake), but a Jake-brake meant you could descend the hills quicker too. Ironically, UK-spec DKSEs were fitted with 9sp Fullers. Perhaps they should have sent one of those! Incidentally, DAF did eventually make those ZF boxes slick too, but not till the 95XF came out.

Buzzer:
Another oddball, Buzzer

Itā€™s a '60s Aussie International nicknamed ā€œButterboxā€. I found a 6-legger rotting away years ago and took a snap
flickr.com/photos/56546711@N03/15648671135/

ERF-NGC-European:

ParkRoyal2100:

At ā€˜onlyā€™ 280 horses, the DAF was going to struggle a bit to keep up; but I reckon the real reason for its apparent lack of performance was the fact that all the others had Fuller boxes whereas the DAF had the notoriously ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  synchro ZF. Previous Euro-tests demonstrated how well Fuller-equipped units performed on that gruelling Ardenne test course: not only were gearshifts super-quick on the upshift whilst climbing the hills (with judicious use of the intertia or clutch-brake), but a Jake-brake meant you could descend the hills quicker too. Ironically, UK-spec DKSEs were fitted with 9sp Fullers. Perhaps they should have sent one of those! Incidentally, DAF did eventually make those ZF boxes slick too, but not till the 95XF came out.

I daresay thatā€™s part of it - if youā€™ve only got limited power/ torque you need a fast change to stop things slowing down too much. My reading of it is that the major problem with the DKSE is its lack of torque, both peak and spread, compared to the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  and the Iveco. In an effort to keep progress it seems DAF fitted a 16-sp box but to little avail.

Found this erf up in a fairground warehouse in Workington,sig low cabbed truck in barking

6292DA58-3256-4B49-BCEC-C1B2F1A64B4E.jpeg

smallcoal:
Found this erf up in a fairground warehouse in Workington,sig low cabbed truck in barking

The ERF has a hell of a long overhang at the rear end?

Chris Webb:
A clipping from a local Barking paper,A E Evans Regent Transport Ltd. advertising their services.The MK5 Mandator,MGY 127D,was ex Mobiloil I think,and worked out of their Barking depot.I remember the phone number was DOM(Dominion) 0285 before STD codes were in existence.The later address was Ripple Road,Barking and in 1970 the Sheffield address was Cricket Inn Road,Sheffield 2 after they moved from Queens Road.

HI THERE MY NAME IS GARY AND I CAME ACROSS THIS FORUM LOOKING FOR WHAT HAPPENED TO A E EVANS MY DAD WORKED FOR A E EVANS AND R E EVANS AND ASSURED MOVEMENTS BEFORE RETIRING IN 2000 I REMEMBER RICHARD HE HAD IS YARD IN OLIVER ROAD WEST THURROCK I WORKED NEXT DOOR AT A T STEVENS
MY DAD STARTED IN ABOUT 1960 AT RIPPLE ROAD HE USED TO DRIVE THE BATTLESHIP GREY AEC LORRIES SOUNDED QUITE NOISEY I USED TO GO WITH HIM WHEN I WAS LAD RICHARD USED TO HAVE SOME 8 WHEELERS TANKERS AS WELL MY DAD ALSO DROVE A LEYLAND MARATHON IN GREY AS WELL I REMEMBER THE YARD THE WORKSHOP WAS AT THE FRONT AND MY DAD SAID THEY USED TO GO TO THE SHIP AND SHOVEL PUB AND PLAY CARDS AFTER WORK.
MY DADS NICK NAME WAS TED ( KENNY) I ALSO REMEMBER RONNIE HEATH AND BOBBY BONES MY DAD WAS MADE REDUNDANT FROM A E EVANS IN ABOUT 1984 I THINK AND GOT A JOB WITH R E EVANS STRAIGHT AWAY I REMEMBER HE USED TO DO WORK FOR SAMUEL BANNER AND GELPE AND BATES HE USED TO LOAD UP AT THAMES MATEX OIL REFINERY IN WEST THURROCK.
MY UNCLE USED TO WORK FOR A E EVANS AS WELL JOHN CARTER BEFORE GIVING UP DRIVING/ MY DAD DROVE AN DAF AND SEDDON ATIKINSON FOR RICHARD EVANS THAT WAS IN A BLUE COLOUR

REGARDS GARY INGRAM

Gazza67:
HI THERE MY NAME IS GARY AND I CAME ACROSS THIS FORUM LOOKING FOR WHAT HAPPENED TO A E EVANS MY DAD WORKED FOR A E EVANS AND R E EVANS AND ASSURED MOVEMENTS BEFORE RETIRING IN 2000 I REMEMBER RICHARD HE HAD IS YARD IN OLIVER ROAD WEST THURROCK I WORKED NEXT DOOR AT A T STEVENS
MY DAD STARTED IN ABOUT 1960 AT RIPPLE ROAD HE USED TO DRIVE THE BATTLESHIP GREY AEC LORRIES SOUNDED QUITE NOISEY I USED TO GO WITH HIM WHEN I WAS LAD RICHARD USED TO HAVE SOME 8 WHEELERS TANKERS AS WELL MY DAD ALSO DROVE A LEYLAND MARATHON IN GREY AS WELL I REMEMBER THE YARD THE WORKSHOP WAS AT THE FRONT AND MY DAD SAID THEY USED TO GO TO THE SHIP AND SHOVEL PUB AND PLAY CARDS AFTER WORK.
MY DADS NICK NAME WAS TED ( KENNY) I ALSO REMEMBER RONNIE HEATH AND BOBBY BONES MY DAD WAS MADE REDUNDANT FROM A E EVANS IN ABOUT 1984 I THINK AND GOT A JOB WITH R E EVANS STRAIGHT AWAY I REMEMBER HE USED TO DO WORK FOR SAMUEL BANNER AND GELPE AND BATES HE USED TO LOAD UP AT THAMES MATEX OIL REFINERY IN WEST THURROCK.
MY UNCLE USED TO WORK FOR A E EVANS AS WELL JOHN CARTER BEFORE GIVING UP DRIVING/ MY DAD DROVE AN DAF AND SEDDON ATIKINSON FOR RICHARD EVANS THAT WAS IN A BLUE COLOUR

REGARDS GARY INGRAM

Hi Gary and welcome to Trucknet. there is a thread about tanker companies which can be found by clicking:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto ā€¦ s#p2758636

we are also very lucky to have Mr Chris Webb, an ex- AE Evans employee and all round tanker aficionado.
if you use the search option an put in A E Evans it will also bring up thousands of posts regarding the company.

i guess we are all getting on a bit but you really donā€™t need to shout at us. :smiley: :smiley:

nilocekyd:

Gazza67:

REGARDS GARY INGRAM

Hi Gary and welcome to Trucknet. there is a thread about tanker companies which can be found by clicking:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto ā€¦ s#p2758636

we are also very lucky to have Mr Chris Webb, an ex- AE Evans employee and all round tanker aficionado.
if you use the search option an put in A E Evans it will also bring up thousands of posts regarding the company.

i guess we are all getting on a bit but you really donā€™t need to shout at us. :smiley: :smiley:

Well,Iā€™ve actually emailed Gary regarding the above but had no reply yet. :confused: Chris.

Chris Webb:
Well,Iā€™ve actually emailed Gary regarding the above but had no reply yet. :confused: Chris.

well done Chris. hope all good with you.

regards
Colin

DEANB:
I thought that there were alot of Pro British truck members on here ? But no comments about the ERF or Ford in the Euro test ? :unamused:

Thanks for posting the Eurotest Dean B, always interesting reading.
Only comment from me is that I canā€™t see/find the ā€˜conclusionsā€™ page?
If anyone from Road Transport Media is reading this, Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not alone in saying I would be a ready customer for a series of Truckā€™s old Test Matches being republished (such as the Long Distance Diaries were a few years ago)?

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

GCR2ERF:

DEANB:
I thought that there were alot of Pro British truck members on here ? But no comments about the ERF or Ford in the Euro test ? :unamused:

Thanks for posting the Eurotest Dean B, always interesting reading.
Only comment from me is that I canā€™t see/find the ā€˜conclusionsā€™ page?
If anyone from Road Transport Media is reading this, Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not alone in saying I would be a ready customer for a series of Truckā€™s old Test Matches being republished (such as the Long Distance Diaries were a few years ago)?

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

Iā€™d be with you at the front of the queue for republished tests :sunglasses: