PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Kempston:
Forgive my ignorance here Pete but I have zero knowledge about these trailers, so you arrive at the first customer, you split the trailer and go off to the next customer with the other container, so does this mean you have to go back to the first customer to retrieve the first trailer? Who owns the trailers, the container company or the transport company?

In my experience of running them, either you had 2 x 20’ boxes for the same place, and you could deliver the contents of both in one visit or, alternatively, tip one, and then drop off the back half of the trailer at the delivery point for the front box. In Europe, the trailer belongs to the haulier, although there’s a tradition in the U.S. of the lines owning their own trailers (or “chassis” as they call them) and hiring in traction.

The one in the photos above was a Nöteboom, and here’s one of their brochure photos of the time:

nooteboom_01.jpg

I did go up to Dennison at Lancaster around 2005 to have a look, as they were starting to produce a cheaper copy, a whole £10,000 cheaper. We did run one from a rental fleet for quite a while, and it did the job. The Dennison we ran was on 4 axles, but our first two Combitrailers were on 5, with the steering rear axle

Another bonus of the Combitrailers was that, being from mainland Europe, they were spec’d to run at 4m, and you would reduce the running height considerably, with a marked improvement in fuel consumption

DEANB:
The container revolution started in the 1960’s.

What a jolly fine selection of photos and articles, thank you, Dean!!

DEANB:
MOL Scania.

Loads of Laurent Pelliet motors used to come through Poole back in the 80’s.

Anyone recognise the Magnum ■■

Elliott Blackmore Foden.

Anyone make the name out on the Scania ■■

QLF Scania tanker.

JSM Recovery.

Anyone recognise the livestock MAN.

Anyone know where the Browns Distribution ERF is from ■■

Wrefords DAF.

Hello Dean …the livestock MAN…the trailer that is …ex Mayberrys from Pontardawe …who were livestock and meat salesman …love that Scania LB76 of Jones Transport Cardiff …hope you are well …lol Geraint

DEANB:
MOL Scania.

Loads of Laurent Pelliet motors used to come through Poole back in the 80’s.

Anyone recognise the Magnum ■■

Elliott Blackmore Foden.

QLF Scania tanker.

JSM Recovery.

Anyone know where the Browns Distribution ERF is from ■■

Wrefords DAF.

Hello DEAN ,QLF animal feeds based at Telford somewhere ,but W J Capper haul some of their tankers .
Elliot Blackmore were from Bicton just of the A5 at Shrewsbury ,thank you Trevor

Hello DEAN ,QLF animal feeds based at Telford somewhere ,but W J Capper haul some of their tankers .
Elliot Blackmore were from Bicton just of the A5 at Shrewsbury ,thank you Trevor

Morning Trevor,
QLF feeds are based in the former WW2 fuel dump near Farley halt on the former Buildwas to Much Wenlock railway line, Billy Capper has been pulling their barrels for a few years now but I have seen some Scania’s pulling them lately, Cheer’s Pete

Kempston:
“DEANB” One like you used to run.

Good old workhorse and very reliable from my experience.

:wink:

240 Gardner:
“DEANB”

Thanks for the comment’s Chris. :wink: Look what i found today. :laughing: :wink:

I never cease to be amazed at the stuff you have tucked away!

Was gonna scan it chap but it was 42 pages ! :unamused: :wink:

finbarot:
“240 Gardner” “DEANB”

Thanks for the comment’s Chris. :wink: Look what i found today. :laughing: :wink:

I never cease to be amazed at the stuff you have tucked away!

You’re not alone with that one!! :smiley: :smiley:

240 Gardner:
“Kempston” Forgive my ignorance here Pete but I have zero knowledge about these trailers, so you arrive at the first customer, you split the trailer and go off to the next customer with the other container, so does this mean you have to go back to the first customer to retrieve the first trailer? Who owns the trailers, the container company or the transport company?

In my experience of running them, either you had 2 x 20’ boxes for the same place, and you could deliver the contents of both in one visit or, alternatively, tip one, and then drop off the back half of the trailer at the delivery point for the front box. In Europe, the trailer belongs to the haulier, although there’s a tradition in the U.S. of the lines owning their own trailers (or “chassis” as they call them) and hiring in traction.

The one in the photos above was a Nöteboom, and here’s one of their brochure photos of the time:

I did go up to Dennison at Lancaster around 2005 to have a look, as they were starting to produce a cheaper copy, a whole £10,000 cheaper. We did run one from a rental fleet for quite a while, and it did the job. The Dennison we ran was on 4 axles, but our first two Combitrailers were on 5, with the steering rear axle

Another bonus of the Combitrailers was that, being from mainland Europe, they were spec’d to run at 4m, and you would reduce the running height considerably, with a marked improvement in fuel consumption

Thanks for the comments and pics Chris,good stuff chap. :wink:

With the extra axles on the trailers what was the payload ?

240 Gardner:
“DEANB” The container revolution started in the 1960’s.

What a jolly fine selection of photos and articles, thank you, Dean!!

kenfig bill:
“DEANB”

Hello Dean …the livestock MAN…the trailer that is …ex Mayberrys from Pontardawe …who were livestock and meat salesman …love that Scania LB76 of Jones Transport Cardiff …hope you are well …lol Geraint

Thanks for the info on the MAN Geraint. :wink:

Heres a DAF of K.W.Jones.

A03385p.JPG

tastrucker:
“DEANB”

Elliott Blackmore Foden.

QLF Scania tanker.

Thanks for the info Trevor. :smiley: :wink:

pete smith:

Morning Trevor,
QLF feeds are based in the former WW2 fuel dump near Farley halt on the former Buildwas to Much Wenlock railway line, Billy Capper has been pulling their barrels for a few years now but I have seen some Scania’s pulling them lately, Cheer’s Pete

I dont know how you remember all these details Pete,good stuff chap. :smiley: :wink:

Some more container trucks.

L0376p.JPG

Man Sedd Atki.JPG

L0479p.JPG

L0508.JPG

L0519p.JPG

L0584p.JPG

L0694p.JPG

L1269p.JPG

A02237.JPG

A02321.JPG

Click on pages twice to read.

Part 2.

Taskers container trailer 1967.

A02378.JPG

A02413.JPG

A02430.JPG

A02470.JPG

A02503.JPG

A02506.JPG

A02552.JPG

A02574.JPG

A02603.JPG

A02651.JPG

Container revolution.

Click on pages twice to read.

Containers through Liverpool.

Anyone recognise the Iveco ■■

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■

Bennett Homes Scania tipper.

Anyone recognise the 2 MAN’s ? Looks like steel trailers.

Anyone recognise the roll on roll off Volvo ■■

Delivering tarmac.

Hoyer Scania.

Anyone recognise the Scania livestock truck ■■

Abacus Logistics MAN.

Ansa Volvo car transporter.

ARC Leyland concrete mixer.

Anyone know where the David Bryant Volvo is from ■■

S.Morris DAF from Yeovil.

BP Oil ERF tanker. Looks like a Stag behind.

Haul Waste roll on roll off Constructor.

Anyone recognise the Volvo ■■

Foreign Mercedes.

Bejam Volvo.

Anyone recognise the Maggie tipper ■■

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■

Dean B
Good morning Dean
Re: the two MAN outfits they were operated by Multiserv / Harsco Logistics which was originally Faber Prest Steel Distribution. I worked for them for fifteen years .
Regards, Allan

Mrsteel:
Dean B
Good morning Dean
Re: the two MAN outfits they were operated by Multiserv / Harsco Logistics which was originally Faber Prest Steel Distribution. I worked for them for fifteen years .
Regards, Allan

Thanks for confirming Allan. :wink:

Great stuff Dean! :slight_smile:

Great picture of one of bill sheppersons Maggie 310’s,didn’t realise they did containers thought the operated bulk tippers doing scrap and coal from Sutton in Ashfield to South Wales.
I called on them selling Magirus Deutz parts, the yard was an Aladdin s cave of trucks in various states No wonder he never bought much !
I found Bill an interesting person and he always took the time to chat, does anyone have any idea of what happened to the business ?

pete smith:

Morning Trevor,

Hello pete ,yes,the old fuel dump ,Farley quarries used that several years back ,Cappers what i have seen do more tank work now .
Hello Dean ,good to see Lloyds and Swains ,dont think Lloyds did much out of Bell ,but Swains did most of the continental work out of Monsanto Ruabon using Bell containers ,Monsanto had another site i think near Newport ,thank you Trevor .

DEANB:
Thanks for the comments and pics Chris,good stuff chap. :wink:

With the extra axles on the trailers what was the payload ?

That’s a good question, Dean, and I can’t honestly remember now. I think it was about 26,500kgs, as opposed to the 30,480kgs we would put on the standard sliders.

There were a lot of 20’ boxes that came in at well under 10T gross, and it was quite easy to pick the traffic to work these trailers to their best.

Great selection of articles and photos you’ve put up, too, thank you! Interesting to see how United States Lines started off by having their own trailers, even to the extent of bringing in American ones. I suppose suitable container-carrying trailers were at a premium in the early days of containerisation but still they must have brought some operational problems by being non-standard over here.

Agree with Chris and the others another really interesting set of articles about containerisation thanks once again for taking the time to post. I believe the actual inventor deliberately didn’t take a patent out so it could become universal instead of different copies.
Photo here taken of my uncles F86 with 2 x 20’ boxes on a 40’ flat no twistlocks on trailers in those days, boxes were chained on.

CNV00010.JPG

Multi axle in Holland.
Oily

Containers Drive-By Photography cc by nc sa 2.0 5754322006_8036ef254b_b.jpg