PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:

tyneside:
“DEANB” “tyneside” About ten years ago wife and I went to New Zealand,
Newcastle - Heathrow - Hong Kong - Auckland - Wellington.

That was a mission “tyneside” :laughing: :laughing: Did you have any stop overs at the places you mentioned or just change flights ?

Hi Dean
Stopped at HK for couple of nights on the way out and SF coming back.

Been back to both OZ and NZ a few times since then but have gone via Singapore, Kuala Lumpur or Bangkok.
Tyneside

Brilliant thats the way to do it. :smiley: Singapore,Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok all great cities to visit. :wink:
San Francisco is on my bucket list too.

Was going to Hong Kong myself in 2020 until this poxy covid struck. :wink:

Do you have a favourite airline or just go for the best price out of intrest ?

Hi Dean
It is usually down to connections

We used to like Air NZ but they cut a lot of their UK flights. We sometimes use Emirates as they have a flight once a day from Newcastle to Dubai, don’t like the airport or the place !
We were going to Oz last October ( cancelled obviously) with KLM as we can get to Schipol easier than Heathrow from Newcastle.
We have been to USA and Canada with KLM via Schipol and once we did NCL to Dublin on StobartAir and onto Boston with Aer Lingus.
We were in the USA in March 2020, driving round North Carolina and the Blue Mountains but had to cut the trip short due to the Pandemic.
Tyneside

Chris Webb:
There was a few dodgy drivers on for this company. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

:laughing: :laughing:
There certainly were some dodgy drivers at A E Evans,but all based at Barking.Sheffield based drivers were a pure as the driven snow.

:wink:

Chris Webb:
Hi Dean,thought you might like this photo that was sent to me.
I actually flew in this Shackleton of 205 Sqdn at Changi when it was on air test,IIRC it was C Charlie WL786. It’s shown doing a low level run over Changi base,over the road that went down the eastern side of the airfield.Notice the locals totally ignoring it. :laughing:

Thats a great pic Chris,and that looks seriously low ! :laughing: :laughing:

tyneside:
“DEANB”

Do you have a favourite airline or just go for the best price out of intrest ?

Hi Dean
It is usually down to connections

We used to like Air NZ but they cut a lot of their UK flights. We sometimes use Emirates as they have a flight once a day from Newcastle to Dubai, don’t like the airport or the place !
We were going to Oz last October ( cancelled obviously) with KLM as we can get to Schipol easier than Heathrow from Newcastle.
We have been to USA and Canada with KLM via Schipol and once we did NCL to Dublin on StobartAir and onto Boston with Aer Lingus.
We were in the USA in March 2020, driving round North Carolina and the Blue Mountains but had to cut the trip short due to the Pandemic.
Tyneside

You have certainly done some long flights Tyneside. Have to say i am a fan of the far east airlines like Emirates etc.

Thats a shame you had to come back early from the USA,what a shame. :wink:

Anyone recognise the Foden ■■

Total MAN.

PD Logistics Mercedes.

Anyone recognise the ERF ■■

Not had a Firmin Coates motor on for a while.

Mid Developments Volvo.

Marley Volvo.

Brit European loaded with JCB’s.

Besblock Foden.

Anyone know where the RHP Transport ERF is from ■■

Harry Wragg Volvo. Think it says Ludlow on the door.

JME Transport Mercedes.

Anyone recognise the ERF car transporter ■■

Anyone know where the Calver Volvo is from ■■

Anyone know where the Malc Bromley DAF is from ■■

Anyone recognise the MAN bulker ■■

Tidy DAF of Derek Linch.

European Metal Recycling Scania roll on roll off.

P.M.Rees & Sons ERF.

George Taylor Scania with a mixed load and a John Stacey Hino behind.

Malc Bromley used to be based at South Normanton, John Stacey were at Heath End, Tadley, when I lived in Reading almost fifty years ago!

Pete.

DEANB:

Think RHP were bearing manufacturers from Telford area

Suedehead:

DEANB:

RHP was/is Ransomes,Hoffman and Pollard and I think their HQ was in Newark at one time,making ball bearings.They also had a place in King’s Lynn I remember,in the early 60s.

I think H J Calver were from either Norfolk or Suffolk doing box work,they ran a V8 Mandator .

Calvers were from Stradbroke & Felixstowe & were acquired by Seven group in 2006.

jshepguis:
Not too sure if this is an ex DTS unit from Cramlington their older colour scheme was a bit like that.

I think this may have belonged to BCR from Norwich…

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the Foden ■■

Total MAN.

PD Logistics Mercedes.

X- Jack Richards

Not had a Firmin Coates motor on for a while.

Mid Developments Volvo.

Marley Volvo.

Brit European loaded with JCB’s.

Besblock Foden.

DEANB:
Old Leyland tanker at Hurn airport,Bournemouth.

Airport refullers.

Click on twice to read.

Foden 1958.

1964 Gloster tankers.

Morning Dean B
My late dad worked for Western Brs and ended up with a Scania 81 after Bristols, Seddon,s marathons and a 111 ,Buffalo etc
Those wagon and drag fuel bowser,s have turned over at 12 mph on airport aprons and i by chance have ended up in that line of work.
2 Boac livered 747 were coloured up for the centenary lately and all the fleet of B airways have gone early brought forward by covid.
1 had the shortest flight to get scrapped last year from cardiff to St athan[less then 20 mins].
Dai

Chris Webb:

Suedehead:

DEANB:

RHP was/is Ransomes,Hoffman and Pollard and I think their HQ was in Newark at one time,making ball bearings.They also had a place in King’s Lynn I remember,in the early 60s.

I think H J Calver were from either Norfolk or Suffolk doing box work,they ran a V8 Mandator .

RHP was a transport company based in Dawley Telford before moving to Stafford Park Telford, finished a couple of years ago now.

windrush:
Malc Bromley used to be based at South Normanton, John Stacey were at Heath End, Tadley, when I lived in Reading almost fifty years ago!

Pete.

Thanks for the info Pete. :wink:

Suedehead:
“DEANB”

Cheers “Suedehead” :smiley:

Chris Webb:

Thanks for the info Chris. :wink:

roadcruiser:
Calvers were from Stradbroke & Felixstowe & were acquired by Seven group in 2006.

“roadcruiser”]“jshepguis” Not too sure if this is an ex DTS unit from Cramlington their older colour scheme was a bit like that.

I think this may have belonged to BCR from Norwich…

“roadcruiser”]“DEANB”

X- Jack Richards

Thanks for all the comments and details “roadcruiser” good stuff. :smiley: :wink:

pete smith:
“Chris Webb” “Suedehead” “DEANB”

RHP was a transport company based in Dawley Telford before moving to Stafford Park Telford, finished a couple of years ago now.

Thanks Pete for the comments. :smiley:

scania81:
“DEANB”

Old Leyland tanker at Hurn airport,Bournemouth.

Airport refullers.

Morning Dean B
My late dad worked for Western Brs and ended up with a Scania 81 after Bristols, Seddon,s marathons and a 111 ,Buffalo etc
Those wagon and drag fuel bowser,s have turned over at 12 mph on airport aprons and i by chance have ended up in that line of work.
2 Boac livered 747 were coloured up for the centenary lately and all the fleet of B airways have gone early brought forward by covid.
1 had the shortest flight to get scrapped last year from cardiff to St athan[less then 20 mins].
Dai

Thanks for the input sounds like you have a really good job Dai on airport tankers. :smiley:

Its a shame nearly all of the B747’s and alot of the A380’s have been retired early,great shame as iconic aircraft. I remember reading about that short
flight you mentioned.

Heres a bit about the Scania 81 you may find intresting and will no doubt bring back some memories. :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

I believe these were mainly used in Europe as rigids rather than artics.

scania 81 br10.jpg

Scania 81 spec sheet.

Scania 81 and Leyland Buffalo road test from 1976.

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Have a fair bit on Concorde.

Is there anything that you don’t have clippings about?? :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Dean, would you happen to have a copy of a Long Distance Diary from 1979/80 which was about an Atkins from Derby doing a trip to Hungary. I am fairly sure that it was one of Atkins although at the back of my mind it might have been one of Berrisford’s from Stoke. Thanks in advance.
Here’s an article from my old scrapbook, it’s from an old edition of the Bedford Transport magazine that somebody may be interested in. If I remember correctly those tanks on the Bedford T.K. held 950 gallon and were made by Gloster Saro and that photo was taken at R.A.F. Kemble which is now Cotswold Airport.

Dean, when I had just turned eighteen I was a driver in the air force at The Central Flying School Headquarters at Little Rissington in Gloucestershire. One day in June 1968, I was detailed to take ten officers to The British Aircraft Corporation’s airfield at Filton near Bristol in a fourteen seater Bedford crew bus. These air force officers were not ordinary pilots, they were all examiners who the other pilots called “The Trappers” as it was their jobs to check out the flying instructors at most of the Commonwealth Air Forces around the world.
A driving job like this one usually involved dropping the passengers off, arranging a time to pick them up then spending a few hours, sometimes several hours passing away the time. The senior officer told me that he wasn’t certain how long they would be on their visit and he asked me what my plans were. I think that I said that I would find a café somewhere and he asked me if I could be back at 3 p.m.
When we arrived at B.A.C. Filton we were met by a small welcoming party and I noticed the senior officer talking to one of their guys and then he started pointing towards the bus. They both came over and said would you like to join us on the tour driver, so I said O.K. well it sounded better than sitting in a transport café for five hours. I had heard the word Concorde mentioned a few times on the way down and I did wonder if I might catch a glimpse of it.
I tagged along at the back, we first went into what looked like a conference room where we were welcomed to The Concorde Tour. We had coffee and biscuits and were told that under no circumstances were we allowed to take any photography. A couple of the officers had brought their cameras with them and they were asked if they would leave them with their security man.
We were then shown a short 16 mm film which included showing a Vulcan bomber that was testing one of the new Concorde engines and I can remember that it also contained footage of the T.S.R. 2 which was also involved with the development of the Concorde. Then we went along to where they had a “Mock Up Concorde”. The fuselage was exactly the same size as the life size Concorde and was kitted out with all the cockpit gauges, galley fittings, toilets and leather passenger seats. They told us that this “Mock Up Concorde” was used to show potential customers what the finished aircraft would be looking like inside. I am sure that The Shar Of Iran was mentioned as one of their potential customers and it’s now known that when the Americans said that Concorde would not be allowed to fly into America in the early seventies that B.A.C.’s order book was drastically cut.
After lunch which consisted of prawn cocktails and I think that it was fillet steak, (I had never had a prawn cocktail before) in the managers dining room we were shown around the factory floor where Concorde 002 was up on hydraulic jacks waiting to do some undercarriage trials. I seem to remember that there were three planes on the production line and that none of them were painted up in livery colours. We were taken into one of the aircraft to have a quick look around but the galley and the passenger seats had not been fitted yet so it was just an empty fuselage with lots of wires hanging around. All in all, it was a very interesting day apart from a lot of the technical data which I didn’t really understand.
Ten months later on April 9th 1969 (I have just checked on Google) I was driving along The Fosse Way heading towards Cirencester on my way to R.A.F. Kemble when I looked up and saw three aircraft in close proximity. One was a Hawker Hunter, another was an English Electric Canberra which were both used for photo reconnaissance and the other one was Concorde 002 on her maiden flight from Filton to R.A.F. Fairford. At the back of my mind I think that the undercarriage was still in the landing position but I could be wrong.
If ever you get the chance to go to the new Concorde Museum at Aerospace Bristol near Filton then it’s well worth the visit. We went there three years ago and for £13 for O.A.P.’s you can spend a very interesting four or five hours looking around. Check for Covid opening times before you go.
AEROSPACE BRISTOL WEBSITE.
aerospacebristol.org/?gclid=EAI … gInmvD_BwE

mushroomman:
“240 Gardner” “DEANB”
Have a fair bit on Concorde.

Is there anything that you don’t have clippings about?? :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Dean, would you happen to have a copy of a Long Distance Diary from 1979/80 which was about an Atkins from Derby doing a trip to Hungary. I am fairly sure that it was one of Atkins although at the back of my mind it might have been one of Berrisford’s from Stoke. Thanks in advance.
Here’s an article from my old scrapbook, it’s from an old edition of the Bedford Transport magazine that somebody may be interested in. If I remember correctly those tanks on the Bedford T.K. held 950 gallon and were made by Gloster Saro and that photo was taken at R.A.F. Kemble which is now Cotswold Airport.

Dean, when I had just turned eighteen I was a driver in the air force at The Central Flying School Headquarters at Little Rissington in Gloucestershire. One day in June 1968, I was detailed to take ten officers to The British Aircraft Corporation’s airfield at Filton near Bristol in a fourteen seater Bedford crew bus. These air force officers were not ordinary pilots, they were all examiners who the other pilots called “The Trappers” as it was their jobs to check out the flying instructors at most of the Commonwealth Air Forces around the world.
A driving job like this one usually involved dropping the passengers off, arranging a time to pick them up then spending a few hours, sometimes several hours passing away the time. The senior officer told me that he wasn’t certain how long they would be on their visit and he asked me what my plans were. I think that I said that I would find a café somewhere and he asked me if I could be back at 3 p.m.
When we arrived at B.A.C. Filton we were met by a small welcoming party and I noticed the senior officer talking to one of their guys and then he started pointing towards the bus. They both came over and said would you like to join us on the tour driver, so I said O.K. well it sounded better than sitting in a transport café for five hours. I had heard the word Concorde mentioned a few times on the way down and I did wonder if I might catch a glimpse of it.
I tagged along at the back, we first went into what looked like a conference room where we were welcomed to The Concorde Tour. We had coffee and biscuits and were told that under no circumstances were we allowed to take any photography. A couple of the officers had brought their cameras with them and they were asked if they would leave them with their security man.
We were then shown a short 16 mm film which included showing a Vulcan bomber that was testing one of the new Concorde engines and I can remember that it also contained footage of the T.S.R. 2 which was also involved with the development of the Concorde. Then we went along to where they had a “Mock Up Concorde”. The fuselage was exactly the same size as the life size Concorde and was kitted out with all the cockpit gauges, galley fittings, toilets and leather passenger seats. They told us that this “Mock Up Concorde” was used to show potential customers what the finished aircraft would be looking like inside. I am sure that The Shar Of Iran was mentioned as one of their potential customers and it’s now known that when the Americans said that Concorde would not be allowed to fly into America in the early seventies that B.A.C.’s order book was drastically cut.
After lunch which consisted of prawn cocktails and I think that it was fillet steak, (I had never had a prawn cocktail before) in the managers dining room we were shown around the factory floor where Concorde 002 was up on hydraulic jacks waiting to do some undercarriage trials. I seem to remember that there were three planes on the production line and that none of them were painted up in livery colours. We were taken into one of the aircraft to have a quick look around but the galley and the passenger seats had not been fitted yet so it was just an empty fuselage with lots of wires hanging around. All in all, it was a very interesting day apart from a lot of the technical data which I didn’t really understand.
Ten months later on April 9th 1969 (I have just checked on Google) I was driving along The Fosse Way heading towards Cirencester on my way to R.A.F. Kemble when I looked up and saw three aircraft in close proximity. One was a Hawker Hunter, another was an English Electric Canberra which were both used for photo reconnaissance and the other one was Concorde 002 on her maiden flight from Filton to R.A.F. Fairford. At the back of my mind I think that the undercarriage was still in the landing position but I could be wrong.
If ever you get the chance to go to the new Concorde Museum at Aerospace Bristol near Filton then it’s well worth the visit. We went there three years ago and for £13 for O.A.P.’s you can spend a very interesting four or five hours looking around. Check for Covid opening times before you go.
AEROSPACE BRISTOL WEBSITE.

Now that’s what i call a post “mushroomman” :smiley: Worthy of a gold star chap. :laughing: :laughing:
goldstar.gif

Nice to see the mighty Bedfords doing a bit,heres another one. :wink:

You mentioned that the Bedfords had tanks built by Gloster Saro.

Nice story about having a look at Concorde. When i was very young probably about 6/7 my uncle worked at Hurn (Bournemouth) airport and the company he worked
for were doing some work on a Concorde and he took us to have a look and i cant remember a thing about it ! :unamused: :laughing:

With regard to the Long Distance Diary to Hungary. Its not ringing a bell to be honest ? :unamused:

I have posted 2 LDD for Atkins on here on page 398 plus some other stuff.

I have also posted some stuff about Beresford on page 176.

I looked through 1979 and nothing and also 1980 but i could not find 2 or 3 of the magazines which i have so they are probably in the wrong place and will no doubt
turn up sometime.

Heres one for Beresford.

scania81:
“DEANB” Old Leyland tanker at Hurn airport,Bournemouth.

Morning Dean B
Dai

Dai,

BOAC 747. :wink:

scania81:
Dai

The one at St Athan is supposedly being preserved - looking at where it’s parked, I think it’s with the Caerdev (formerly Cardiff Aviation, and owned by Bruce Dickinson), who offer storage services, and not eCube, who are breakers