He sold Great Bear to Culina

gazsa401:

Kempston:
Great Bear Distribution Scania from ■■

Think they’re from all over the place tbh Dean

Great Bear was set up by David Williams
of Williams Brothers a TDG subsidiary

It was David Williams & Colin McDavid ( RIP ) Who Started Great Bear . 2 Great guys to work for when Colin passed within a year and on 1 Mar he sold it to Culina and this is only what I was told half of what Culina payed he gave to Colin’s Widow also I think one of the sites has a address of Colin McDavid drive ( or Rd or Ave ) I left in 2007 after 11 yrs Great Years

Anyone recognise the DAF ■■

That’s another ex McBurney from Oxford way

Kempston:

:smiley: :wink:

tastrucker:
“DEANB”

R.W.Powell Volvo timber truck. Anyone know where they are based ■■

Hello DEAN ,some lovely pictures on the A49 between Craven Arms and the Strettons ,yes R W Powell, (Ron ) from nearby Lydbury North .
Great Bear distribution have a depot on the Deeside Industrial Park ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for the comments good stuff as usual Trevor. :smiley: :wink:

ArcDaz:
Hi Dean have you got any more of St marys demolition great to see this pic they were based in london and i saw quite a few big demo jobs they did with ball and chain :wink:

I had to fire the scanner up for you this morning Daz. :laughing: :laughing: I only have this other cutting of the same motor but to be honest i may have
something else that may come to light in due course. :wink:

st marys foden 78 ppg.PNG.jpg

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

Some odds and sods.

Harry Coff from Ascot 1965.
Harry Coff pics from Ascot always welcome :smiley:

Daz, This may ring a bell with you ?
Dean they ring plenty of of bells for me lol

:wink:

Hargreaves:
Den hartogh keep few lorries at immingham fm Volvo s man s and the volvos always look nice an never in a rush maybe have a depot in the midlands you see them at Cadbury s in Birmingham & Leominster Gret story about marshalls keep up the good work

Thanks for the info Hargreaves,they run some nice kit. :wink:

gazsa401:

Thanks for the info Gary,seem to remember that Culina have since been bought by someone else ? :wink:

Boatchaser:
“gazsa401”

It was David Williams & Colin McDavid ( RIP ) Who Started Great Bear . 2 Great guys to work for when Colin passed within a year and on 1 Mar he sold it to Culina and this is only what I was told half of what Culina payed he gave to Colin’s Widow also I think one of the sites has a address of Colin McDavid drive ( or Rd or Ave ) I left in 2007 after 11 yrs Great Years

Thanks for the input “Boatchaser” sounds like they were a good company to work for ! :smiley:

I like your user name “Boatchaser”, how many of us on here have been pushing to make boats ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

robthedog:

Thanks for that Rob. :wink:

Well its finally stopped raining here,so off for a walk will pop somehing on in a bit. :wink:

Boatchaser:

gazsa401:

Kempston:

Did one of the directors spend some time in the USA learning how the industry worked over there.
In 1995 i was waiting to load with 1 of their drivers and he had work sheets that the customer had to pay de mileage after waiting a certain time.
He approached the fork lift driver with no pressure[even the warehouseman was impressed] and the merc was very clean with the great bear log in blue.

Great Bear have a large distribution centre alongside the M1 between junctions 29a and 30, however I order Mrs Windrush’s prescribed medical supplies directly from Great Bear and I phone the order through to their Cardiff depot.

Pete.

scania81:
“Boatchaser”

Did one of the directors spend some time in the USA learning how the industry worked over there.
In 1995 i was waiting to load with 1 of their drivers and he had work sheets that the customer had to pay de mileage after waiting a certain time.
He approached the fork lift driver with no pressure[even the warehouseman was impressed] and the merc was very clean with the great bear log in blue.

Sounds like they had the right idea “scania81” with regard to charging for waiting time. :wink:

I take it you drove a Scania 81 ■■

windrush:
Great Bear have a large distribution centre alongside the M1 between junctions 29a and 30, however I order Mrs Windrush’s prescribed medical supplies directly from Great Bear and I phone the order through to their Cardiff depot.

Pete.

Thanks for the info Pete. :wink:

Hi dean a few pics of mine 2nd pic tipping in norwich Thursday afternoon 3rd 24 pallets of potatoes loaded fri morn in ely Cambridge for Hereford 27 tonnes in total on trailer

415D7F59-C4A9-4FA2-A948-8362116ACB58.jpeg

smallcoal:
Hi dean a few pics of mine 2nd pic tipping in norwich Thursday afternoon 3rd 24 pallets of potatoes loaded fri morn in ely Cambridge for Hereford 27 tonnes in total on trailer

Nice pics John,sounds like your new job is going well and you are enjoying it which is great news mucker. :smiley: :wink:

Some odds and sods.

Click on pages twice to read.

Combes from Glasgow.

“Kempston” I know you rated the Powell Duffryn roll on roll off kit. How did Edbro compare out of intrest ?

Manchester Tanker’s DAF.

daf manchester tankers1.PNG

British Road Services ERF. Anyone know what area that would have been based in as i dont remember seeing them in grey ?

Scammell Univan trailer.

1950’s.

Anyone doing multi drop pallet work possibly uses an electric pump truck these days,which save alot of graft especially with heavy pallets on
uneven ground. Most of us think they are a fairly new design but heres one from the 50’s.

The Harbilt Low Loader.

harbilt electric1.jpg

harbilt electric3.jpg

Montgomery Tank Services Renault.

Anyone recognise the Iveco in the rain ■■

Looks like it says Spencer on the door of the Scania ■■

Anyone recognise the Volvo FM ■■

Whats missing on the Cambell trailer ?

Cant remember if we have had a Stephen Weaver motor on before,anyone know where they are from ■■

Nice to see a mighty 143 doing a bit in 2007. Think it says Phildon haulage on the fridge.

Martyn Tyson Volvo from Skipton.

Tidy Cemex Foden.

Anyone know where the PMP Logistics Scania is from ■■

DSCF2767p.JPG

It does indeed say Spencer, E E Spencer from Leicester, used to see them a lot on the M1 when I was driving.

Hi Dean think the fridge below could be Philson’s who took on the tomato job out of Chichester, think they cut the rate then could not make a go of it which is common with people with no nouse in the haulage game, cheers Buzzer.

Number plate, I claim my £1000 prize money please :slight_smile:

1950’s.

Anyone doing multi drop pallet work possibly uses an electric pump truck these days,which save alot of graft especially with heavy pallets on
uneven ground. Most of us think they are a fairly new design but heres one from the 50’s.

The Harbilt Low Loader.

You need to tell Movianto that, I had just over a year with that shower of ■■■■ lugging my guts out dragging pallets over a ton in weight around hospitals, I now have the hernias to prove it! Real ■■■■■■■■■ in the office there, couldn’t give a toss about the drivers.

Kempston" I know you rated the Powell Duffryn roll on roll off kit. How did Edbro compare out of intrest ?

Powell Duffryn were really excellent pieces of kit Dean, Edbro were a cheaper alternative but no where near as good imo.

Kempston:

Number plate, I claim my £1000 prize money please :slight_smile:

Hey Dean and Kempston, Yes, the number plate is missing, but also the
letter P in your writing. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink: :wink: Cheers, Ray.

DEANB:
Montgomery Tank Services Renault.

Anyone recognise the Iveco in the rain ■■

Anyone recognise the Volvo FM ■■

Cant remember if we have had a Stephen Weaver motor on before,anyone know where they are from ■■

Nice to see a mighty 143 doing a bit in 2007. Think it says Phildon haulage on the fridge.

Martyn Tyson Volvo from Skipton.

Tidy Cemex Foden.

Anyone know where the PMP Logistics Scania is from ■■

PMP was from segensworth Fareham ,
Shut up shop about 4 years ago
Formation freight in Nurseling still run one of their old Scania s

New pastures

Kempston:

DSCF2767p.JPG

It does indeed say Spencer, E E Spencer from Leicester, used to see them a lot on the M1 when I was driving.

Still going but under Wood’s. Their yard is ex Econofreight,Spardo knows it well. In the 70s all ERF now Volvo

FB_IMG_1601574738002.jpg

DEANB:

Kempston:

:smiley: :wink:

tastrucker:
“DEANB”

R.W.Powell Volvo timber truck. Anyone know where they are based ■■

Hello DEAN ,some lovely pictures on the A49 between Craven Arms and the Strettons ,yes R W Powell, (Ron ) from nearby Lydbury North .
Great Bear distribution have a depot on the Deeside Industrial Park ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for the comments good stuff as usual Trevor. :smiley: :wink:

ArcDaz:
Hi Dean have you got any more of St marys demolition great to see this pic they were based in london and i saw quite a few big demo jobs they did with ball and chain :wink:

I had to fire the scanner up for you this morning Daz. :laughing: :laughing: I only have this other cutting of the same motor but to be honest i may have
something else that may come to light in due course. :wink:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”
Hi Dean that is super Many thanks for that :slight_smile:
Some odds and sods.

Harry Coff from Ascot 1965.
Harry Coff pics from Ascot always welcome :smiley:

Daz, This may ring a bell with you ?
Dean they ring plenty of of bells for me lol

:wink:

Hargreaves:
Den hartogh keep few lorries at immingham fm Volvo s man s and the volvos always look nice an never in a rush maybe have a depot in the midlands you see them at Cadbury s in Birmingham & Leominster Gret story about marshalls keep up the good work

Thanks for the info Hargreaves,they run some nice kit. :wink:

gazsa401:

Thanks for the info Gary,seem to remember that Culina have since been bought by someone else ? :wink:

Boatchaser:
“gazsa401”

Thanks for the input “Boatchaser” sounds like they were a good company to work for ! :smiley:

I like your user name “Boatchaser”, how many of us on here have been pushing to make boats ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

robthedog:

Thanks for that Rob. :wink:

Well its finally stopped raining here,so off for a walk will pop somehing on in a bit. :wink: