PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Ray Smyth:

Kempston:
Whats missing on the Cambell trailer ?

Number plate, I claim my £1000 prize money please :slight_smile:

Hey Dean and Kempston, Yes, the number plate is missing, but also the
letter P in your writing. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink: :wink: Cheers, Ray.

Number plate is on the nearside above the lights

scania81:

Boatchaser:

gazsa401:

Kempston:
Great Bear Distribution Scania from ■■

Think they’re from all over the place tbh Dean

Great Bear was set up by David Williams
of Williams Brothers a TDG subsidiary
He sold Great Bear to Culina

It was David Williams & Colin McDavid ( RIP ) Who Started Great Bear . 2 Great guys to work for when Colin passed within a year and on 1 Mar he sold it to Culina and this is only what I was told half of what Culina payed he gave to Colin’s Widow also I think one of the sites has a address of Colin McDavid drive ( or Rd or Ave ) I left in 2007 after 11 yrs Great Years

Did one of the directors spend some time in the USA learning how the industry worked over there.
In 1995 i was waiting to load with 1 of their drivers and he had work sheets that the customer had to pay de mileage after waiting a certain time.
He approached the fork lift driver with no pressure[even the warehouseman was impressed] and the merc was very clean with the great bear log in blue.

I was lucky to spend a hour or 2 with David ( really nice guy ,would won’t to cross him ) only been with the Company 2/3 yrs , but I’d always been in Warehousing, Transport and my first Question was WHY don’t we have a Phone # OR Web Site on are Truck or Trailers his reply WORD OF MOUTH if people want us to work for them they will find us . Then I asked him why he started it again his reply was TDG sent me to the USA and I came back and after I while it was becoming a Machine so one Day I went home to Barbra (His Wife ) and said "I’ve Quit " I’m going to startup my own firm . I’m Sure Truck or Truck and Driver did a article about them and how they started , I read it and wrote to him and said if he ever open a depot near Warrington call me and sure enough be return post I got a interview I think his daughter came up with the Name . When I left to go to Canada he called me to Tattenhall ( head Office ) and told me if it didn’t work out to Call him and he,d try a find something for me within Great Bear

DEANB:

Kempston:

Think they’re from all over the place tbh Dean

:smiley: :wink:

tastrucker:
“DEANB”

R.W.Powell Volvo timber truck. Anyone know where they are based ■■

Hello DEAN ,some lovely pictures on the A49 between Craven Arms and the Strettons ,yes R W Powell, (Ron ) from nearby Lydbury North .
Great Bear distribution have a depot on the Deeside Industrial Park ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for the comments good stuff as usual Trevor. :smiley: :wink:

ArcDaz:
Hi Dean have you got any more of St marys demolition great to see this pic they were based in london and i saw quite a few big demo jobs they did with ball and chain :wink:

I had to fire the scanner up for you this morning Daz. :laughing: :laughing: I only have this other cutting of the same motor but to be honest i may have
something else that may come to light in due course. :wink:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

Some odds and sods.

Harry Coff from Ascot 1965.
Harry Coff pics from Ascot always welcome :smiley:

Daz, This may ring a bell with you ?
Dean they ring plenty of of bells for me lol

:wink:

Hargreaves:
Den hartogh keep few lorries at immingham fm Volvo s man s and the volvos always look nice an never in a rush maybe have a depot in the midlands you see them at Cadbury s in Birmingham & Leominster Gret story about marshalls keep up the good work

Thanks for the info Hargreaves,they run some nice kit. :wink:

gazsa401:

Thanks for the info Gary,seem to remember that Culina have since been bought by someone else ? :wink:

Boatchaser:
“gazsa401”

It was David Williams & Colin McDavid ( RIP ) Who Started Great Bear . 2 Great guys to work for when Colin passed within a year and on 1 Mar he sold it to Culina and this is only what I was told half of what Culina payed he gave to Colin’s Widow also I think one of the sites has a address of Colin McDavid drive ( or Rd or Ave ) I left in 2007 after 11 yrs Great Years

Thanks for the input “Boatchaser” sounds like they were a good company to work for ! :smiley:

I like your user name “Boatchaser”, how many of us on here have been pushing to make boats ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

robthedog:
Anyone recognise the DAF ■■

That’s another ex McBurney from Oxford way

Thanks for that Rob. :wink:

Well its finally stopped raining here,so off for a walk will pop somehing on in a bit. :wink:

DeanB
It was my Dads "CB Handle " he worked out of S.Ireland in the early days of Halal , Dublin Meat , Big Rig and Lynx Int ( Campbel Bodel ) and so many of the Flying Squad . And he enjoyed it so much ,and of course as you said his Transport Manager / Owner of the company was always saying " John you need to Chase that Boat . Dun Laoghaire- Holyhead , Dover Calais. Some great days as a young Kid

Kempston:
Looks like it says Spencer on the door of the Scania ■■

It does indeed say Spencer, E E Spencer from Leicester, used to see them a lot on the M1 when I was driving.

Cheers Kempston. :wink:

Buzzer:
Hi Dean think the fridge below could be Philson’s who took on the tomato job out of Chichester, think they cut the rate then could not make a go of it which is common with people with no nouse in the haulage game, cheers Buzzer.

Thanks for the name Buzzer. :smiley: Never understand why companies quote such stupid prices just to get work. Working for nothing ! :unamused:

Kempston:
1950’s.

Anyone doing multi drop pallet work possibly uses an electric pump truck these days,which save alot of graft especially with heavy pallets on
uneven ground. Most of us think they are a fairly new design but heres one from the 50’s.

The Harbilt Low Loader.

You need to tell Movianto that, I had just over a year with that shower of [zb] lugging my guts out dragging pallets over a ton in weight around hospitals, I now have the hernias to prove it! Real [zb] in the office there, couldn’t give a toss about the drivers.

I agree chap,its one thing pulling a ton pallet on a flat floor but as soon as you get a tiny slope you are not pulling a ton up that. :wink:

Kempston:

Ray Smyth:

letter P in your writing. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink: :wink: Cheers, Ray.

I must admit i never saw the number plate Kempston / Ray. But i see “graham-A” spotted it ! :unamused: :wink:

Letter P is down to my keyboard Ray,its totally buggered and normally the letter T does not work ! :wink:

Kempston:
Kempston" I know you rated the Powell Duffryn roll on roll off kit. How did Edbro compare out of intrest ?

Powell Duffryn were really excellent pieces of kit Dean, Edbro were a cheaper alternative but no where near as good imo.

You find that there is always one product that is better than the rest. :wink:

blue estate:
“DEANB”

Anyone know where the PMP Logistics Scania is from ■■

PMP was from segensworth Fareham ,
Shut up shop about 4 years ago
Formation freight in Nurseling still run one of their old Scania s

New pastures

Thanks for the info “blue estate” :wink:

coomsey:

Still going but under Wood’s. Their yard is ex Econofreight,Spardo knows it well. In the 70s all ERF now Volvo

Thanks for the pics and info “coomsey” :smiley:

ArcDaz:
Hi Dean have you got any more of St marys demolition great to see this pic they were based in london and i saw quite a few big demo jobs they did with ball and chain :wink:

I had to fire the scanner up for you this morning Daz. :laughing: :laughing: I only have this other cutting of the same motor but to be honest i may have

Hi Dean that is super Many thanks for that :slight_smile:

No worries Daz. :wink:

graham-A:

You must have X ray vision never even saw it when i posted it. :unamused: :wink:

Boatchaser:
“DEANB”

I like your user name “Boatchaser”, how many of us on here have been pushing to make boats ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

DeanB
It was my Dads "CB Handle " he worked out of S.Ireland in the early days of Halal , Dublin Meat , Big Rig and Lynx Int ( Campbel Bodel ) and so many of the Flying Squad . And he enjoyed it so much ,and of course as you said his Transport Manager / Owner of the company was always saying " John you need to Chase that Boat . Dun Laoghaire- Holyhead , Dover Calais. Some great days as a young Kid

I think everyone who has done European work was always pushing for a boat “Boatchaser” :laughing: :laughing:
I bet you do have some good memories as a kid going with your dad. :smiley:

Will see if i have any Irish stuff.

A mate of mine sent me this Dublin Meat Mack. :wink:

“whiplash” posted this pic of a Halal 141 on this thread a while back.

halal whiplash.PNG

DEANB:

Kempston:

It does indeed say Spencer, E E Spencer from Leicester, used to see them a lot on the M1 when I was driving.

Cheers Kempston. :wink:

Buzzer:
Hi Dean think the fridge below could be Philson’s who took on the tomato job out of Chichester, think they cut the rate then could not make a go of it which is common with people with no nouse in the haulage game, cheers Buzzer.

Thanks for the name Buzzer. :smiley: Never understand why companies quote such stupid prices just to get work. Working for nothing ! :unamused:

Kempston:
1950’s.

Anyone doing multi drop pallet work possibly uses an electric pump truck these days,which save alot of graft especially with heavy pallets on
uneven ground. Most of us think they are a fairly new design but heres one from the 50’s.

The Harbilt Low Loader.

You need to tell Movianto that, I had just over a year with that shower of [zb] lugging my guts out dragging pallets over a ton in weight around hospitals, I now have the hernias to prove it! Real [zb] in the office there, couldn’t give a toss about the drivers.

I agree chap,its one thing pulling a ton pallet on a flat floor but as soon as you get a tiny slope you are not pulling a ton up that. :wink:

Kempston:

Ray Smyth:

I must admit i never saw the number plate Kempston / Ray. But i see “graham-A” spotted it ! :unamused: :wink:

Letter P is down to my keyboard Ray,its totally buggered and normally the letter T does not work ! :wink:

Kempston:
Kempston" I know you rated the Powell Duffryn roll on roll off kit. How did Edbro compare out of intrest ?

Powell Duffryn were really excellent pieces of kit Dean, Edbro were a cheaper alternative but no where near as good imo.

You find that there is always one product that is better than the rest. :wink:

blue estate:
“DEANB”

Anyone know where the PMP Logistics Scania is from ■■

PMP was from segensworth Fareham ,
Shut up shop about 4 years ago
Formation freight in Nurseling still run one of their old Scania s

New pastures

Thanks for the info “blue estate” :wink:

coomsey:

Still going but under Wood’s. Their yard is ex Econofreight,Spardo knows it well. In the 70s all ERF now Volvo

Thanks for the pics and info “coomsey” :smiley:

ArcDaz:

Hi Dean that is super Many thanks for that :slight_smile:

No worries Daz. :wink:

graham-A:

You must have X ray vision never even saw it when i posted it. :unamused: :wink:

Boatchaser:
“DEANB”

DeanB

I think everyone who has done European work was always pushing for a boat “Boatchaser” :laughing: :laughing:
I bet you do have some good memories as a kid going with your dad. :smiley:

Will see if i have any Irish stuff.

A mate of mine sent me this Dublin Meat Mack. :wink:

“whiplash” posted this pic of a Halal 141 on this thread a while back.

DeanB
I can remember that IPEC wagon & drag coming into Holyhead sometimes or coming home with us on the same boat and when we got off the boat it was gone like the wind oh to 13 / 14 again

DEANB:
Some odds and sods.

Click on pages twice to read.

Combes from Glasgow.

“Kempston” I know you rated the Powell Duffryn roll on roll off kit. How did Edbro compare out of intrest ?

Manchester Tanker’s DAF.

British Road Services ERF. Anyone know what area that would have been based in as i dont remember seeing them in grey ?

Scammell Univan trailer.

1950’s.

The Harbilt Low Loader.

hi dean, Ref the grey ERF,all BRS tippers were grey. these (6) ERF’s were based here in the forest of dean at micheldean depot. later replaced by guy big j tractor units. photo taken in staunton village between coleford and monmouth

micheldean BRS depot ERF coke wagon

another shot of the micheldean depot wit an ERF and an older atkinson

wideboybob:
“DEANB”

British Road Services ERF. Anyone know what area that would have been based in as i dont remember seeing them in grey ?

hi dean, Ref the grey ERF,all BRS tippers were grey. these (6) ERF’s were based here in the forest of dean at micheldean depot. later replaced by guy big j tractor units. photo taken in staunton village between coleford and monmouth

Thanks for the info about BRS tippers being grey,i never knew that. :wink:

Great photos,thanks for posting. :smiley:

DEANB:

wideboybob:
“DEANB”

There were some grey ERF 8-wheeled BRS tippers based near Winsford for carrying salt etc.I think the depot was called North Cheshire…

Chris Webb:
“wideboybob” “DEANB”

hi dean, Ref the grey ERF,all BRS tippers were grey. these (6) ERF’s were based here in the forest of dean at micheldean depot.

There were some grey ERF 8-wheeled BRS tippers based near Winsford for carrying salt etc.I think the depot was called North Cheshire…

Thanks Chris,have loads of stuff on BRS but not on there tippers so it was news to me that they were all grey. :smiley: :wink:

“coomsey” Hope your paying attention mucker ! :unamused:

Heres a bit on your favourite tipper body. :wink:

Wilcox.

wilcox trls ppg.PNG

tippers wilcox todd 84 ppg.PNG

Brochure.

My grandad had several rigids fitted with similar bodies to the one in the Wilcox brochure above,but they had to be stripped down so more work involved.
Obviously the Wilcox body was a newer and better design. Handy bodies back then if you had rigids and could swap between bulkers and flats.

A new one of my grandads from 1966 with a Sparshatt body.

I dont remember Service Bodies from Brighouse. Dont know how large they were but imagine they were a smaller concern ?

tipper service 78 ppg.PNG

Daz,Dont know if Geo Cross rings a bell with you as from your part of the world.

Anyone know where the Overon DAF was based ■■

tipper overon 78 ppg.PNG

Bulk Storage from near Hull Iveco’s.

Yates Volvo F86 from Brownhill’s.

tipper yates volvo 78 ppg.PNG

Tarmac Leyland Reiver.

tipper tarmac 78 ppg.PNG.jpg

Charles Ford Atkinson with a Hands trailer with telehoist tipping gear. Anyone know where Charles Ford were based ■■

tipper ford 661 ppg.PNG

Kinch bulk haulage from Rothley,near Leicester.

tippers kinch 83 ppg.PNG

R.Oatley from Shepton Mallet.

tippers oatley 83 ppg.PNG

Wynnstay Volvo.

Woolworths Volvo.

Anyone recognise the DAF ■■?

PK Transport Renault from Swindon.

Pentons Volvo. Definately one of my favourite companies to see on the road with a great colour scheme.

Collett Bros Foden. Anyone know where they were based ■■

Wrings Magnum.

Kings Heavy Haulage Volvo.

Not sure if this is Hills of Cardiff or another company ■■

M.S.Ellis ERF.

Not too sure if this is an ex DTS unit from Cramlington their older colour scheme was a bit like that.

DSCF2954p.JPG

DEANB:
Charles Ford Atkinson with a Hands trailer with telehoist tipping gear. Anyone know where Charles Ford were based ■■

Charles Ford (or Charles E Ford & Co. of Bristol on a Sunday :wink: ) were a subsidiary of Guest’s of Bath; another photo of that motor appeared in an article in ‘The Atkinson’ about Guest’s in 1970, at which time it was the only vehicle operated in that name. It ran grain from Avonmouth to London.

DEANB:
Not sure if this is Hills of Cardiff or another company ■■

This is Hills Waste Solutions: hills-waste.co.uk/

“coomsey” Hope your paying attention mucker !
Dean, I’m like Dumbo! All ears :smiley: good bit of kit, not too happy about the dropsides though. I had a Reiver with the same body as this gal, the boss Maurice Hicken was like most gaffers n women,he couldn’t make his mind up wether to have the sides up or down. Lot of hard work for sweet Fannie Adams

Hi Dean,
Yates brothers started out as Canal transport and had a big fleet of boats and were based on the Cannock extension canal just off the Turf Island on the A5 near Brownhills. They ran a large fleet of F86 tippers and I cannot remember seeing anything in their fleet more modern than an F7.
They even had, or still have, their own sport and social club on site, Cheer’s Pete

tipper yates volvo 78 ppg.PNG