PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

I am sure we have had one of these on before and the colour scheme looks familiar ,but buggered if i can remember the name ■■

Brooke Bond Oxo Buffalo. Dont think thats a Leyland air deflector ■■

Anyone recognise the F10 ■■

A & RJ Wood Mercedes.

Eden Vale Seddon Atkinson.

Walkers Fork lifts Seddon Atkinson.

Wincanton Foden pulling a Tate & Lyle tanker.

Dart container with orange on it ,so assume thats a Dart DAF but i thought they were sign written and a different colour ■■? :unamused:

Surprised the Maxi could overtake the Roadtrain. :laughing: :laughing: Anyone recognise the Roadtrain ■■?

How about this beauty then Daz ! :wink:

DEANB:

[zb]
anorak:
“Carryfast”
A selective comparison of N reg Scania 111 and R reg Volvo F89 v L reg A series and M reg Border is an apples v oranges one and doesn’t exactly fit the script.
Given the choice of Bedford TM, ERF NGC and SA 400 which could also have been added to the Foden…

Scania LB110s were first sold in GB in 1968. The F89 was available in GB in 1970, admittedly only in LHD form. If you wanted more power, with RHD, Scania had been selling LB140s in GB since 1969. ERF sold 71 NGC chassis in total, from 1973. The SA product was a let-down, by common consensus, until the 401 made its appearance in 1982. You still trying to suggest the Continentals were not ahead, significantly? :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :wink:
[/quote]
Just a caveat here: although the LHD SA 400 with the NTC 335 in it only sold in small numbers, Jazzandy did TIR work with one and speaks very highly of them. As you say, the 401 was the real game-changer because they’d tidied up all the gremlins.

Hi Dean,
W A Glendinning,
Glad to see you are back Dean, Cheer’s Pete

L3861p.JPG

DEANB:

[zb]
anorak:
“Carryfast”
A selective comparison of N reg Scania 111 and R reg Volvo F89 v L reg A series and M reg Border is an apples v oranges one and doesn’t exactly fit the script.
Given the choice of Bedford TM, ERF NGC and SA 400 which could also have been added to the Foden…

Scania LB110s were first sold in GB in 1968. The F89 was available in GB in 1970, admittedly only in LHD form. If you wanted more power, with RHD, Scania had been selling LB140s in GB since 1969. ERF sold 71 NGC chassis in total, from 1973. The SA product was a let-down, by common consensus, until the 401 made its appearance in 1982. You still trying to suggest the Continentals were not ahead, significantly? :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :wink:
[/quote]
I wouldn’t call the SA 400 a ‘let down’ by the standards of mid 1970’s and v the relatively primitive F88/9.
As for ‘how many’ NGC’s sold the point of the article was suggesting that because UK operators ( like a certain ■■■■■■■■ :laughing: ) still wanted their rotten old Borderers and A series heaps well into the 1970’s and that’s somehow the fault of ERF and SA etc.
That Foden was clearly the easy winner of that test and, like the NGC, could just as easily have been specced with a 400 ■■■■■■■ as a 335.But no the agenda was as usual let’s bash the Brits.

ERF-NGC-European:
Just a caveat here: although the LHD SA 400 with the NTC 335 in it only sold in small numbers, Jazzandy did TIR work with one and speaks very highly of them. As you say, the 401 was the real game-changer because they’d tidied up all the gremlins.

Blimey even Stevie Wonder could see that the SA 400 cab at least was an F10/12 contender before Volvo replaced the laughably overrated cramped F88 and same with Bedford TM.
We’ve already discussed the issue of just putting the 350 or 400 ■■■■■■■ in the NGC or SA if anyone wanted a Scania 140 contender.IE where a 335 would fit a 350-400 would too.
The truth is this Brit bashing bs is just that.Groundless baseless bollox when all the ingredients needed to sort out the foreign competition was all there ‘if’ the customers wanted to order it.Instead of which they were still calling on SA to supply them with Gardner powered Borderers after the introduction of the 400 and the Bedford TM at least.

B.A.Rogers Defender.

[/quote]
Hello DEAN …so good to have you back …site was not the same with out you and Paul …well the old man is well chuffed also ,…B A Rogers (Brian) were from Skewen and hauled coal into Margham steelworks ,…and also a lot of scrap for Thomas Ward at Briton Ferry ,…he had quite a few Atkinsons …but i can just remember his Marathons …also that JR Atkinson at Ross on Wye is just lush …lol …Geraint
[/quote]
Hi Geraint, I remember B A Rogers well, dont remember the Marathons but I do remember the Scammell Crusaders they ran. :slight_smile:

DEANB:
Cheers Chris. :wink:

Scotts of Nottingham advert from 1966.

Splendid, thanks for those, Dean :slight_smile:

DEANB:
I am sure we have had one of these on before and the colour scheme looks familiar ,but buggered if i can remember the name ■■

A & RJ Wood Mercedes.

Dart container with orange on it ,so assume thats a Dart DAF but i thought they were sign written and a different colour ■■? :unamused:

Surprised the Maxi could overtake the Roadtrain. :laughing: :laughing: Anyone recognise the Roadtrain ■■?

Hi Dean your definitely on a roll here again now you have come back on to this thread love it mate now that is beauty Skinners transport probably carrying a load of black stuff ready to be layed on a road job Many thanks for posting this great picture for me Best Regards Daz :smiley: :smiley:

DEANB:

240 Gardner:
“DEANB”

I expect you have this Chris but if not its an intresting read.

Yes I do have that, thank you - I knew Ian Fowler, sadly no longer with us. He was a very knowledgeable and interesting chap - in the late 1960s, he was sent out to run Atkinson’s assembly plant in South Africa. When that closed and Seddon were in charge, he came back to work for “Scotts of Notts”, the East Midlands dealership who opened a branch in Penrith, where he was based. I’m sure Dennis would have known him.

He later came full circle and joined Seddon Atkinson to run their parts operation in Bamber Bridge and, later, the Preston service centre - based in a part of the old factory at Walton-le-Dale.

And yes, very impressive mpg - and they were motors that went up and down hills and carried plenty of weight!

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

Daz, you will be pleased to hear that there are a fair few Routeman’s floating about in the last couple batches of pics chap. :smiley:
Thank you Dean for that information thats great news to here :smiley:

Dean another cracking picture from Peter Davies collection i do have this photo myself in one of my truck albums which i made up a few years ago or more :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Will pop one on today chap. :wink:

Bewick:
Yes Chris I bought my first three new Borderers from Ian Fowler when he opened up the Scotts Of Nottingham Atkinson dealership in Penrith and I didn’t know that Ian had passed away, last I heard he was living up at Hawkshead. I don’t know if you knew Chris but when Ian resigned from Scotts he started for Malc Woodhouse as his vehicle Sales Manager and actually Ian sourced me the new ■■■■■■■ Seddon 32/4 from Longfield Road Motors together with a couple of new Borderers and at least a couple of secondhand Borderers while he was working for Malc. However, his time at Malc’s ended somewhat acrimoniously for reasons I won’t go into here but I recall Malc ringing me to tell me where had Ian had next gone to work-----Alf Suttons Fleet Engineer !!! Malc said if he thought I was a hard task master he will find out that Alf is an absolute Animal to work for as his last Fleet Engineer had apparently shot himself on Birch Services !!! Needless to say Ian didn’t reign very long at Suttons ! And yes I came in contact with him finally when he returned to manage the Sed/Atk dealership in Walton-le-Dale and he persuaded me to try a Demo unit so only for old times sake I did try one but of course it wasn’t a Scania so it was never going to happen ! I always admired Ian’s enthusiasm for Atkinsons and he did always put Customer satisfaction first and foremost and I believe he did make quite a substantial sales penetration for Atkinsons in our part of the world selling to the likes of Albright & Wilsons, the Stamper Families, T. Brady, M.E. Saunders , Edenhall Concrete and others too numerous to mention.
Long time ago and in later years Scotts did struggle against Scania and Volvo and eventually closed. Hope I’ve filled a gap in for you Chris ! Cheers Dennis.

I imagine Albright & Wilson were a big concern Dennis as they have been mentioned alot on here. They used to ship out of Poole
twice a week back in the 80’s with phosphorus pentasulfide destined for Rouen.

Evs127:
There were at least 3 Williams Bros that I know of in Wales, your photo shows one of Williams Bros of Queensferry, later to become part of TDG. The photo of the Routeman in Aberystwyth is of Williams Bros of Nantgaredig, near Carmarthen and lastly the green Routemans I think would have been from a large tipper fleet who’s depot was in Cross Hands.

This also gives me a chance to thank you Dean and Paul for all the hard work you put into this thread.

Thanks for the comments “Evs127” Heres a few that have been on here. :wink:

Carryfast:
“DEANB”

S80 Interior may bring back some memories. :wink:

Looks just like an early 80’s S85.Wasn’t broke so don’t fix it. :wink: :smiley:

:wink:

DEANB:

A & RJ Wood Mercedes.

Hi Dean, the F10, is it one off the breweries…Courage■■?, or I am I way off, but the road train is Synthite Chemicals from Mold, North Wales…or as I and Barry Waddy would call the Skintight!!!, they used to run Marathons also I seem to recall, Barry did you not load out of There?

Good to see you back, after your tacho break :smiley: :smiley:

GB

Carryfast:
We’ve already discussed the issue of just putting the 350 or 400 ■■■■■■■ in the NGC or SA if anyone wanted a Scania 140 contender.IE where a 335 would fit a 350-400 would too.
The truth is this Brit bashing bs is just that.Groundless baseless bollox …

Oh dear. The unanimous verdict, every time you play this scratched old record is, according to those with actual first-hand knowledge, that all the bollox is on the opposite carriageway, travelling at speed.

In summary, the GB makers took 5-10 years to compete with the Continentals, and their first attempts were not quite the finished article- the SA 400 had steering problems, the gear linkage used to come apart on turns, the cab used to corrode and the air filter used to fill up with water. I have learned all of that, simply by reading these threads. How come basic facts seem to pass you by? Is your first degree in philosophy? It certainly ain’t in any engineering discipline, if that other joke thread is anything to go by.

There was no 400bhp ■■■■■■■ option in any GB-built lorry, until the late 1980s. Behave yourself.

The closest the GB makers got, in the 1970s, to competing with the Continentals, was the Leyland Marathon, and it took them 5 years of production to make that reliable enough.

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

Blimey even Stevie Wonder could see that the SA 400 cab at least was an F10/12 contender before Volvo replaced the laughably overrated cramped F88 and same with Bedford TM.
The truth is this Brit bashing bs is just that.Groundless baseless bollox when all the ingredients needed to sort out the foreign competition was all there ‘if’ the customers wanted to order it.Instead of which they were still calling on SA to supply them with Gardner powered Borderers after the introduction of the 400 and the Bedford TM at least.

TBH CF, the standard SA400 wasn’t a brilliant motor at all. The cab looked as if it should have been the bollox but it was fairly basic. The one I drove was a 1979 example with a ■■■■■■■ 250 (probably the naturally aspirated version judging by its performance) and a poorly installed Fuller RTO 9509. I was glad to get back into an ERF B-series after tramping in it for a week or two. As for ■■■■■■■ anything bigger than 350 I think you’re in the wrong era for UK.

Funnily I quite liked the V reg Sed Ak 400 I had on Tilcon, never had any steering problems apart from the apalling lock and had no gear linkage issues with any of the dozen or so we ran. Actually the gearchange was a lot lighter than some of the later Fodens. Chassis-wise they weren’t a patch on the Foden, far too blooming heavy as well, but were comfy enough to drive and all the drivers liked them . The only problems we ever had cab-wise was with the wiper linkages, and as we only kept them for six years the cabs hadn’t corroded too badly really. Oh and we had no aircleaner issues either? However the weight was a real problem, 19 1/4 tonne payload was no use at all, and after three more purchased in 1982 with Rolls 265’s and bulk bodies which were even heavier no more were bought.

Pete.

Another factor in favour of most of the Continentals at the time was availability - a few days or a few weeks against several months for a new Brit motor. A mate of mine was tradeplating in the early eighties, regularly doing three trips a day from Hull docks to the Mercedes Benz Trucks site at Tankersley (Barnsley). There were hundreds of trucks going through PDI and preparation. It was a 24-7 operation, trucks being turned round and sent to the dealers in quick time. Sad as it was for our industry, that’s the way it was.

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

TBH CF, the standard SA400 wasn’t a brilliant motor at all. The cab looked as if it should have been the bollox but it was fairly basic. The one I drove was a 1979 example with a ■■■■■■■ 250 (probably the naturally aspirated version judging by its performance) and a poorly installed Fuller RTO 9509. I was glad to get back into an ERF B-series after tramping in it for a week or two. As for ■■■■■■■ anything bigger than 350 I think you’re in the wrong era for UK.

The Scania 140 available in UK from 1969 is considered a good thing in terms of making the case that the imports were supposedly outrunning us.
The mere suggestion that anyone ‘could’ have ordered a 350 or even 400 ■■■■■■■ in an SA or an NGC if they wanted it, just as well as a 335, is met by derision.Why the double standards.
The fact is if anyone wanted a 350 or a 400 they could have ordered it.

How could the narrow, short F88/89 cab possibly be less basic and a more comfortable place to live and work than the SA or Bedford TM cabs.

The fact that it was ordered with a 250 in it says everything about customer demands not what the factory would/could have put in it if asked for it.

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … -at-32-ton
archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … kinson-400

Just as those still demanding Borderers and A series in the mid 1970’s says everything about customer demands not what the Brit manufacturers were able to produce and/or were producing.

As for the article the Foden was clearly the better motor than either the F89 or the Scania 111.
It’s a biased conclusion based on deliberately confusing what customers were ordering v what the UK industry was actually able to provide.

Technical problem with computer chaps in repair shop !

DEANB:
Technical problem with computer chaps in repair shop !

Hi Dean, I hope you get your computer back soon. My laptop " Popped its clogs " in mid October,
but fortunately, It still had 1 month warranty left, so I fired back to Currys, and got it back
two weeks later. It is working, but it is slower than the second coming of Lord Jesus.
Take care and keep safe, Cheers, Ray.

Carryfast:
The Scania 140 available in UK from 1969 is considered a good thing in terms of making the case that the imports were supposedly outrunning us.
The mere suggestion that anyone ‘could’ have ordered a 350 or even 400 ■■■■■■■ in an SA or an NGC if they wanted it, just as well as a 335, is met by derision.Why the double standards.
The fact is if anyone wanted a 350 or a 400 they could have ordered it.

PMSL.

Carryfast:
As for the article the Foden was clearly the better motor than either the F89 or the Scania 111.
It’s a biased conclusion based on deliberately confusing what customers were ordering v what the UK industry was actually able to provide.

The gift that just keeps on giving. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast:

“Carryfast” Never ever come on this thread slagging off the “Mighty F88” :smiling_imp: :imp:

windrush:
Nice dumper articles Dean, the four wheeler ones carting rock salt were underground at Winsford Salt Mine and were taken down in pieces and assembled by Foden fitters underground. They were cabless as well, the drivers sat out in the open with just the canopy on the body to protect them. Later they were dismantled and taken back to the surface and re-assembled and resold. Foden six wheeler dumpers replaced them, again taken down in sections, but they had proper cabs. When I worked in the transport garage at the quarry you would be getting ready for home at 5.30 and then a dumper would appear with two broken back springs and it had to be ready for morning, we did a lot of overtime in those days! :unamused: Those springs were bloody heavy as well. We had two Atkinson dumpers as well but they were smaller and carried less weight than the Fodens.

Pete.

That sounded like a big job,taking the dumpers down in bits Pete ! :open_mouth:

Atkinson dumpers.1958.

kenfig bill:
“DEANB”

B.A.Rogers Defender.

Hello DEAN …so good to have you back …site was not the same with out you and Paul …well the old man is well chuffed also ,…B A Rogers (Brian) were from Skewen and hauled coal into Margham steelworks ,…and also a lot of scrap for Thomas Ward at Briton Ferry ,…he had quite a few Atkinsons …but i can just remember his Marathons …also that JR Atkinson at Ross on Wye is just lush …lol …Geraint

Thanks for the comments Geraint,your dad may remember E.J.Williams from North Wales. :smiley: :wink:

240 Gardner:
“DEANB”

Splendid, thanks for those, Dean :slight_smile:

:wink:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

Hi Dean your definitely on a roll here again now you have come back on to this thread love it mate now that is beauty Skinners transport probably carrying a load of black stuff ready to be layed on a road job Many thanks for posting this great picture for me Best Regards Daz :smiley: :smiley:

Spot on Daz,there was a Tarmac depot just off that roundabout on an industrial estate. :wink:

steelboyf10:
“DEANB”

Hi Dean, the F10, is it one off the breweries…Courage■■?, or I am I way off, but the road train is Synthite Chemicals from Mold, North Wales…or as I and Barry Waddy would call the Skintight!!!, they used to run Marathons also I seem to recall, Barry did you not load out of There?

Good to see you back, after your tacho break :smiley: :smiley:

:laughing: Thanks for the comments chap. :wink: Who did you drive for when you were pulling steel ?

anorak:
“Carryfast”
The truth is this Brit bashing bs is just that.Groundless baseless bollox …
Oh dear. The unanimous verdict, every time you play this scratched old record is, according to those with actual first-hand knowledge, that all the bollox is on the opposite carriageway, travelling at speed.

In summary, the GB makers took 5-10 years to compete with the Continentals, and their first attempts were not quite the finished article- the SA 400 had steering problems, the gear linkage used to come apart on turns, the cab used to corrode and the air filter used to fill up with water. I have learned all of that, simply by reading these threads. How come basic facts seem to pass you by? Is your first degree in philosophy? It certainly ain’t in any engineering discipline, if that other joke thread is anything to go by.

There was no 400bhp ■■■■■■■ option in any GB-built lorry, until the late 1980s. Behave yourself.

The closest the GB makers got, in the 1970s, to competing with the Continentals, was the Leyland Marathon, and it took them 5 years of production to make that reliable enough.

Your wasting your time “anorak” its like banging your head against a wall !! :unamused: :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

windrush:
Funnily I quite liked the V reg Sed Ak 400 I had on Tilcon, never had any steering problems apart from the apalling lock and had no gear linkage issues with any of the dozen or so we ran. Actually the gearchange was a lot lighter than some of the later Fodens. Chassis-wise they weren’t a patch on the Foden, far too blooming heavy as well, but were comfy enough to drive and all the drivers liked them . The only problems we ever had cab-wise was with the wiper linkages, and as we only kept them for six years the cabs hadn’t corroded too badly really. Oh and we had no aircleaner issues either? However the weight was a real problem, 19 1/4 tonne payload was no use at all, and after three more purchased in 1982 with Rolls 265’s and bulk bodies which were even heavier no more were bought.

Pete.

19.25 tons ,very heavy chap. :wink:

fodenway:
Another factor in favour of most of the Continentals at the time was availability - a few days or a few weeks against several months for a new Brit motor. A mate of mine was tradeplating in the early eighties, regularly doing three trips a day from Hull docks to the Mercedes Benz Trucks site at Tankersley (Barnsley). There were hundreds of trucks going through PDI and preparation. It was a 24-7 operation, trucks being turned round and sent to the dealers in quick time. Sad as it was for our industry, that’s the way it was.

Thanks for the comment “fodenway” good point. :wink:

Ray Smyth:
“DEANB” Technical problem with computer chaps in repair shop !

Hi Dean, I hope you get your computer back soon. My laptop " Popped its clogs " in mid October,
but fortunately, It still had 1 month warranty left, so I fired back to Currys, and got it back
two weeks later. It is working, but it is slower than the second coming of Lord Jesus.
Take care and keep safe, Cheers, Ray.

Hello Ray, Yes its back but i paid “covid prices”. Not a good idea getting anything done at the moment as everyone is charging top dollar
to try and make up for the money they have lost. Its not 100% right so will be going back next week. :wink:

anorak:
“Carryfast”

The gift that just keeps on giving. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Indeed “anorak” ,its unbelievable what he posts… :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

I take it the engine thread has gone quiet ? I will have to pop something on there to keep him amused so he does not annoy me on here ! :wink: