PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Bewick:
From what I’ve read about this “test” it was just a demolition job on the Atkinson and the ERF, the Foden was an non entity !! I introduced both Volvo and Scania into the BTS in the mid '70’s but we never directly compared them, nor would we, as the Atky and the “A” Serious were yesterday’s news but they were still cost effective both in capital cost and operational cost compared to the Scandinavians. Fair comment they couldn’t compare to the "new "generation of imports so the road test was really irrelevant strictly speaking ! And as an aside which no doubt as a Big A fan you may recall that it was a proven fact that a Driver had a better chance of survival in the event of a bad smash in the Atkinson as on impact the cab just disintegrated around him and didn’t trap him ! Fortunately non of the Bewick Atkys was ever involved in such an accident ! Cheers Dennis.

They actually rightly referred to the A series and Atki, as a wrongful pretext to trash all the Brits.

A 320 hp 13 speed ‘non entity’.
Ironically plastic cabs were known for the disintegration method of driver crash ‘protection’. :open_mouth:

Bewick:

240 Gardner:

Paul C Gee:
The Atkinson Borderer would be dwarfed by the size of the current fleet!!!

Mind you, in the mid-90s it was even less tall!

Pity that rolling chassis didn’t have a decent rear axle :wink: :cry: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It was a free lorry Dennis! I would have much preferred it with a Fuller RTO-610 too, but this is how it was built. Incidentally, Bowker did run both Fuller and Brown boxes behind the 220, but the spec depended on what it was going to be used for: if it was for roaming, then the Fuller, if it was for double shifted work with night trunking, then the 6-speed, because the night trunkers of the day couldn’t be trusted not to wreck a Fuller. They used to treat it like a splitter, drop the button, let out the clutch, and BANG!

Mind you, there’s no such thig as a free lunch… Look what we started with!

11 a.jpg

34 back dash.jpg

I guess this article will pre-date the time when Paul was hanging around Ross-on-Wye with his camera, but an interesting read, not only for what they were doing, but also for a reminder of how trunking between South Wales and London worked c.1970. I imagine the “terminal” mid-way was a lay-by in or near Witney!

I scanned it from an Eaton Transmissions magazine, an American publication for global distribution, hence why it doesn’t mention the David Brown gearbox by name.

For me, it’s a cracking spec., and I was fortunate to take my test on an Atki with exactly the same driveline. And then buy it later :smiley:

windrush:
We had one eight wheeler Foden S80 at Ballidon, SRB 632M, fitted with the NORDE rear suspension and driven from new by the late John ‘Cotty’ Watson from Brassington. Every day he was in the garage to borrow two 3/4" AF spanners to retighten the bolts on the suspension, it wasn’t a big success and no more were ordered despite Norde being only just down the road. However the later Rydewell/Foden set up was brlliant and gave no problems at all, and all the Foden fleet had that system factory fitted as standard.

Those Motor Panels S40 cabs were ok, some of our half cabs were recabbed with them by North Riding Garages at Middleton St George who were in the Tilling group to give the truck another few years life. I collected a few from there. Ours had the usual rod throttle though being Gardner engined, the only ones we had with the hydraulic set up were the Foden dumpers in the quarry that were ■■■■■■■ powered.

Pete.

Afternoon Pete, that Norde suspension sounded bad news. I am sure i have something on Norde but buggered if i can find it.

Out of inrest can you remember what tonnage the Foden dump trucks were ■■

S80 Interior may bring back some memories. :wink:

ArcDaz:
Tarmac Foden.
Hi Dean nice to see all these brilliant Pictrues again and i am glade to see you and Paul back on here keep it going Regards Daz :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Daz, you will be pleased to hear that there are a fair few Routeman’s floating about in the last couple batches of pics chap. :smiley:

Chris Webb:
"old 67"Cant make the name out on the Foden ■■

Looks like it could be one of William Bros from Wales ■■

Regards John.

Yes John,definitely one of Williams Bros,can’t make out the depot name though.

Thanks for the name John & Chris. :smiley: Heres another pic of it and is the Routeman the same company ?

wales williams bros1 ppg.PNG

windrush:

Regards John.

Thought that myself John, they were green I believe but I couldn’t remember which part of Wales they were from though? With only one air cleaner stack it will be either Rolls or ■■■■■■■ engined.

Pete.

If they were green Pete,its not that Routeman above then… :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
I think it say Williams Bros Oswestry on the foden ?

Thats Cadwallader country Dan. :wink:

cadwallader f88 ppg.PNG

[zb]
anorak:
“DEANB” Anyone recognise the Scania ? Looking at the reg i imagine that was an early import ,not sure what year Scania first started selling in the UK.

That’s a '68/69 “Mk1” LB110- single mirror arms, small badges. There were some LB110s imported to GB on the F plate, but these were LHD. The 110 had its GB launch just before the G plate came in, so the first RHD wagons had G plates. The one in your pic is one of those. It looks as if it has done some hard miles.

Thanks for confirming that “anorak” i thought it was an early one. :smiley:

Heres a bit about the 110.

Click on pages twice to read.

240 Gardner:
“DEANB” Vintage road test. “240Gardner” will no doubt be able to tell us more. :smiley:

As Max Boyce used to say: "I… was there :laughing:

It was quite a while ago now - they stopped overnight on Charnock and I had dinner with them there (the high life!) sand stayed at the motel, but didn’t participate in their actual test runs.

When I was talking to them about setting up this test, I recall being struck about how little they seemed to know about the practicalities: they were talking about borrowing trailers from, I think, CTR for their testing, and it seemed quite a mystery to them when I asked what kingpin position a rental trailer was likely to have. Bear in mind that this was 1999, and the 1.6m kingpin was pretty common by then. They seemed genuinely surprised when I told them that the Borderer and the A Series were never going to couple to one of those. Of course, the late Mr Kennett was an extremely knowledgeable commercial vehicle engineer, but I guess that this was after his time there.

Thanks for the input Chris , i agree that the test was done with what trucks were available. :wink:

I liked the comment “how little they seemed to know” :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Bewick:
“240 Gardner” "DEANB"Vintage road test. “240Gardner” will no doubt be able to tell us more. :smiley:

As Max Boyce used to say: "I… was there :laughing:

It was quite a while ago now - they stopped overnight on Charnock and I had dinner with them there (the high life!) sand stayed at the motel, but didn’t participate in their actual test runs.

Hiya Chris,
From what I’ve read about this “test” it was just a demolition job on the Atkinson and the ERF, the Foden was an non entity !! I introduced both Volvo and Scania into the BTS in the mid '70’s but we never directly compared them, nor would we, as the Atky and the “A” Serious were yesterday’s news but they were still cost effective both in capital cost and operational cost compared to the Scandinavians. Fair comment they couldn’t compare to the "new "generation of imports so the road test was really irrelevant strictly speaking ! And as an aside which no doubt as a Big A fan you may recall that it was a proven fact that a Driver had a better chance of survival in the event of a bad smash in the Atkinson as on impact the cab just disintegrated around him and didn’t trap him ! Fortunately non of the Bewick Atkys was ever involved in such an accident ! Cheers Dennis.

Intresting comments on the Atki cab in an accident Dennis. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

240 Gardner:
The Atkinson is still in the same ownership, and here’s a photo of it in 2018:

I was chuffed to bits to spend a day-and-a-half driving it last August for the Trans-Pennine Run

The Borderer looks proper tidy Chris. :wink:

240 Gardner:
I guess this article will pre-date the time when Paul was hanging around Ross-on-Wye with his camera, but an interesting read, not only for what they were doing, but also for a reminder of how trunking between South Wales and London worked c.1970. I imagine the “terminal” mid-way was a lay-by in or near Witney!

I scanned it from an Eaton Transmissions magazine, an American publication for global distribution, hence why it doesn’t mention the David Brown gearbox by name.

For me, it’s a cracking spec., and I was fortunate to take my test on an Atki with exactly the same driveline. And then buy it later :smiley:

Thats an intresting read Chris. :wink: John Raymond worked those Atki’s hard. Seriously impressive MPG !

Pre date when Paul was hanging around Roos-on-Wye. :laughing: He sent me this pic Chris that he took in 1976.

I expect you have this Chris but if not its an intresting read.

Click on pages twice.

Gregory’s DAF

Anyone know where Roberts are based ?

Rygor Group Mercedes.

Black Lion Mercedes.

Framptons who i think have now been taken over by Gregory’s.

Fagan & Whalley Scania.

Anyone know what ABE stands for ■■?

Patten Bros Volvo bulker.

BTS Scania.

Downton Volvo.

DEANB:
Thanks for the input Chris , i agree that the test was done with what trucks were available. :wink:

I liked the comment “how little they seemed to know” :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

I was being tactful :wink: Bear in mind that this was a publication that used to pontificate on how haulage should be run!

DEANB:

It still is, thank you! And that paint job is now over 20 years old - all credit to Kevin Battersby, who built it right in the first place, and then has looked after it ever since.

DEANB:
Thats an intresting read Chris. :wink: John Raymond worked those Atki’s hard. Seriously impressive MPG !

Pre date when Paul was hanging around Roos-on-Wye. :laughing: He sent me this pic Chris that he took in 1976.

Yes I do have that, thank you - I knew Ian Fowler, sadly no longer with us. He was a very knowledgeable and interesting chap - in the late 1960s, he was sent out to run Atkinson’s assembly plant in South Africa. When that closed and Seddon were in charge, he came back to work for “Scotts of Notts”, the East Midlands dealership who opened a branch in Penrith, where he was based. I’m sure Dennis would have known him.

He later came full circle and joined Seddon Atkinson to run their parts operation in Bamber Bridge and, later, the Preston service centre - based in a part of the old factory at Walton-le-Dale.

And yes, very impressive mpg - and they were motors that went up and down hills and carried plenty of weight!

DEANB:

windrush:
We had one eight wheeler Foden S80 at Ballidon, SRB 632M, fitted with the NORDE rear suspension and driven from new by the late John ‘Cotty’ Watson from Brassington. Every day he was in the garage to borrow two 3/4" AF spanners to retighten the bolts on the suspension, it wasn’t a big success and no more were ordered despite Norde being only just down the road. However the later Rydewell/Foden set up was brlliant and gave no problems at all, and all the Foden fleet had that system factory fitted as standard.

Those Motor Panels S40 cabs were ok, some of our half cabs were recabbed with them by North Riding Garages at Middleton St George who were in the Tilling group to give the truck another few years life. I collected a few from there. Ours had the usual rod throttle though being Gardner engined, the only ones we had with the hydraulic set up were the Foden dumpers in the quarry that were ■■■■■■■ powered.

Pete.

Afternoon Pete, that Norde suspension sounded bad news. I am sure i have something on Norde but buggered if i can find it.

Out of inrest can you remember what tonnage the Foden dump trucks were ■■

ArcDaz:
Tarmac Foden.
Hi Dean nice to see all these brilliant Pictrues again and i am glade to see you and Paul back on here keep it going Regards Daz :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Daz, you will be pleased to hear that there are a fair few Routeman’s floating about in the last couple batches of pics chap. :smiley:
Thank you Dean for that information thats great news to here :smiley:

Chris Webb:

Regards John.

Thanks for the name John & Chris. :smiley: Heres another pic of it and is the Routeman the same company ?

windrush:

Regards John.

Thought that myself John, they were green I believe but I couldn’t remember which part of Wales they were from though? With only one air cleaner stack it will be either Rolls or ■■■■■■■ engined.

Pete.

Punchy Dan:

[zb]
anorak:
“DEANB” Anyone recognise the Scania ? Looking at the reg i imagine that was an early import ,not sure what year Scania first started selling in the UK.

That’s a '68/69 “Mk1” LB110- single mirror arms, small badges. There were some LB110s imported to GB on the F plate, but these were LHD. The 110 had its GB launch just before the G plate came in, so the first RHD wagons had G plates. The one in your pic is one of those. It looks as if it has done some hard miles.

Thanks for confirming that “anorak” i thought it was an early one. :smiley:

Heres a bit about the 110.

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

I was being tactful :wink: Bear in mind that this was a publication that used to pontificate on how haulage should be run!

DEANB:

It still is, thank you! And that paint job is now over 20 years old - all credit to Kevin Battersby, who built it right in the first place, and then has looked after it ever since.

DEANB:

Yes I do have that, thank you - I knew Ian Fowler, sadly no longer with us. He was a very knowledgeable and interesting chap - in the late 1960s, he was sent out to run Atkinson’s assembly plant in South Africa. When that closed and Seddon were in charge, he came back to work for “Scotts of Notts”, the East Midlands dealership who opened a branch in Penrith, where he was based. I’m sure Dennis would have known him.

He later came full circle and joined Seddon Atkinson to run their parts operation in Bamber Bridge and, later, the Preston service centre - based in a part of the old factory at Walton-le-Dale.

And yes, very impressive mpg - and they were motors that went up and down hills and carried plenty of weight!

Yes Chris I bought my first three new Borderers from Ian Fowler when he opened up the Scotts Of Nottingham Atkinson dealership in Penrith and I didn’t know that Ian had passed away, last I heard he was living up at Hawkshead. I don’t know if you knew Chris but when Ian resigned from Scotts he started for Malc Woodhouse as his vehicle Sales Manager and actually Ian sourced me the new ■■■■■■■ Seddon 32/4 from Longfield Road Motors together with a couple of new Borderers and at least a couple of secondhand Borderers while he was working for Malc. However, his time at Malc’s ended somewhat acrimoniously for reasons I won’t go into here but I recall Malc ringing me to tell me where had Ian had next gone to work-----Alf Suttons Fleet Engineer !!! Malc said if he thought I was a hard task master he will find out that Alf is an absolute Animal to work for as his last Fleet Engineer had apparently shot himself on Birch Services !!! Needless to say Ian didn’t reign very long at Suttons ! And yes I came in contact with him finally when he returned to manage the Sed/Atk dealership in Walton-le-Dale and he persuaded me to try a Demo unit so only for old times sake I did try one but of course it wasn’t a Scania so it was never going to happen ! I always admired Ian’s enthusiasm for Atkinsons and he did always put Customer satisfaction first and foremost and I believe he did make quite a substantial sales penetration for Atkinsons in our part of the world selling to the likes of Albright & Wilsons, the Stamper Families, T. Brady, M.E. Saunders , Edenhall Concrete and others too numerous to mention.
Long time ago and in later years Scotts did struggle against Scania and Volvo and eventually closed. Hope I’ve filled a gap in for you Chris ! Cheers Dennis.

Chris Webb:

Regards John.

windrush:

Regards John.

Pete.

Punchy Dan:

There were at least 3 Williams Bros that I know of in Wales, your photo shows one of Williams Bros of Queensferry, later to become part of TDG. The photo of the Routeman in Aberystwyth is of Williams Bros of Nantgaredig, near Carmarthen and lastly the green Routemans I think would have been from a large tipper fleet who’s depot was in Cross Hands.

This also gives me a chance to thank you Dean and Paul for all the hard work you put into this thread.

DEANB:

Looks just like an early 80’s S85.Wasn’t broke so don’t fix it. :wink: :smiley:

Bewick:
Yes Chris I bought my first three new Borderers from Ian Fowler when he opened up the Scotts Of Nottingham Atkinson dealership in Penrith and I didn’t know that Ian had passed away, last I heard he was living up at Hawkshead. I don’t know if you knew Chris but when Ian resigned from Scotts he started for Malc Woodhouse as his vehicle Sales Manager and actually Ian sourced me the new ■■■■■■■ Seddon 32/4 from Longfield Road Motors together with a couple of new Borderers and at least a couple of secondhand Borderers while he was working for Malc. However, his time at Malc’s ended somewhat acrimoniously for reasons I won’t go into here but I recall Malc ringing me to tell me where had Ian had next gone to work-----Alf Suttons Fleet Engineer !!! Malc said if he thought I was a hard task master he will find out that Alf is an absolute Animal to work for as his last Fleet Engineer had apparently shot himself on Birch Services !!! Needless to say Ian didn’t reign very long at Suttons ! And yes I came in contact with him finally when he returned to manage the Sed/Atk dealership in Walton-le-Dale and he persuaded me to try a Demo unit so only for old times sake I did try one but of course it wasn’t a Scania so it was never going to happen ! I always admired Ian’s enthusiasm for Atkinsons and he did always put Customer satisfaction first and foremost and I believe he did make quite a substantial sales penetration for Atkinsons in our part of the world selling to the likes of Albright & Wilsons, the Stamper Families, T. Brady, M.E. Saunders , Edenhall Concrete and others too numerous to mention.
Long time ago and in later years Scotts did struggle against Scania and Volvo and eventually closed. Hope I’ve filled a gap in for you Chris ! Cheers Dennis.

I was sure you’d know him, Dennis. I knew of him for many years, but came to know him personally, probably in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and what a grand chap he was.

When he was back at Walton-le-Dale, he looked after their restored Mk.1 tractor for a while. One year, he decided to enter the Tyne-Tees Run with it, and decided he would take his sister along for the day out. He also thought it would be a nice idea to borrow my period test trailer to damp down the ride… I think it nearly broke him!! That Atki was very expensively restored and very original in all its details, but its 6LX was as numb as a gatepost, and not even approaching the same league as the grunty 6LX in my View-Line, and which had been set up by John Killingbeck.

By the time the poor old Mk.1 had staggered across from South Shields to Sedbergh (I think he was living around there, but not certain), darkness had long since fallen, and his sister declined future invitations to go out in old lorries with him :laughing:

Incidentally, one Donald Smith pops up a lot on the Atki pages on Facebook, and he seems to have known Ian quite well

Dean: I believe the Foden three axle dumpers we had fitted with ■■■■■■■ 220 and 250 engines were rated at 40 tonnes.

Pete.

Carryfast:
A selective comparison of N reg Scania 111 and R reg Volvo F89 v L reg A series and M reg Border is an apples v oranges one and doesn’t exactly fit the script.
Given the choice of Bedford TM, ERF NGC and SA 400 which could also have been added to the Foden…

Scania LB110s were first sold in GB in 1968. The F89 was available in GB in 1970, admittedly only in LHD form. If you wanted more power, with RHD, Scania had been selling LB140s in GB since 1969. ERF sold 71 NGC chassis in total, from 1973. The SA product was a let-down, by common consensus, until the 401 made its appearance in 1982. You still trying to suggest the Continentals were not ahead, significantly? :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast:

DEANB:

Yes CF, not much difference. The later S83 cab just had a curved gearlever and electric wipers/screenwash on the steering column instead of the air ones on the S80 (that silver knob on the left below the dashpanel) and a different seat, it was also mounted a few inches higher on the chassis. Otherwise like you said, no need to change things and the Haulmaster was much the same.

Pete.

240 Gardner:
“DEANB”

Cheers Chris. :wink:

Scotts of Nottingham advert from 1966.

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

Thank you Dean for that information thats great news to here :smiley:

Will pop one on today chap. :wink:

arc scammell 2.PNG

arc scammell 1.PNG

Bewick:

I imagine Albright & Wilson were a big concern Dennis as they have been mentioned alot on here. They used to ship out of Poole
twice a week back in the 80’s with phosphorus pentasulfide destined for Rouen.

L2174p.JPG

Evs127:
There were at least 3 Williams Bros that I know of in Wales, your photo shows one of Williams Bros of Queensferry, later to become part of TDG. The photo of the Routeman in Aberystwyth is of Williams Bros of Nantgaredig, near Carmarthen and lastly the green Routemans I think would have been from a large tipper fleet who’s depot was in Cross Hands.

This also gives me a chance to thank you Dean and Paul for all the hard work you put into this thread.

Thanks for the comments “Evs127” Heres a few that have been on here. :wink:

A03863p.JPG

A03865p.JPG

L2104p.JPG

Carryfast:
“DEANB”

:wink:

windrush:
Dean: I believe the Foden three axle dumpers we had fitted with ■■■■■■■ 220 and 250 engines were rated at 40 tonnes.

Pete.

Pete,Some Foden dumper reading ! :wink:

Had a hard life…

[zb]
anorak:
“Carryfast”
A selective comparison of N reg Scania 111 and R reg Volvo F89 v L reg A series and M reg Border is an apples v oranges one and doesn’t exactly fit the script.
Given the choice of Bedford TM, ERF NGC and SA 400 which could also have been added to the Foden…

Scania LB110s were first sold in GB in 1968. The F89 was available in GB in 1970, admittedly only in LHD form. If you wanted more power, with RHD, Scania had been selling LB140s in GB since 1969. ERF sold 71 NGC chassis in total, from 1973. The SA product was a let-down, by common consensus, until the 401 made its appearance in 1982. You still trying to suggest the Continentals were not ahead, significantly? :laughing: :laughing:
[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Nice dumper articles Dean, the four wheeler ones carting rock salt were underground at Winsford Salt Mine and were taken down in pieces and assembled by Foden fitters underground. They were cabless as well, the drivers sat out in the open with just the canopy on the body to protect them. Later they were dismantled and taken back to the surface and re-assembled and resold. Foden six wheeler dumpers replaced them, again taken down in sections, but they had proper cabs. When I worked in the transport garage at the quarry you would be getting ready for home at 5.30 and then a dumper would appear with two broken back springs and it had to be ready for morning, we did a lot of overtime in those days! :unamused: Those springs were bloody heavy as well. We had two Atkinson dumpers as well but they were smaller and carried less weight than the Fodens.

Pete.

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the Scania ? Looking at the reg i imagine that was an early import ,not sure what year Scania first started
selling in the UK.

Spanish Pegaso just off Truckline at Poole.

Anyone recognise the Dodge ■■

DAF 2600 coming off Truckline at Poole.

Pat Donovan Volvo F86,think he was from Southampton way.

Abbey Hill Fiat loaded with 2CV’s.

Reg Bugler Scania. Always run very smart trucks and did alot of boat haulage like Sunseekers,throughout Europe.

Cant make the name out on the Foden ■■

Yeoman Volvo F86.

B.A.Rogers Defender.

Hello DEAN …so good to have you back …site was not the same with out you and Paul …well the old man is well chuffed also ,…B A Rogers (Brian) were from Skewen and hauled coal into Margham steelworks ,…and also a lot of scrap for Thomas Ward at Briton Ferry ,…he had quite a few Atkinsons …but i can just remember his Marathons …also that JR Atkinson at Ross on Wye is just lush …lol …Geraint