PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:
A little brain teaser for you chaps ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Whats the truck ?

hey Dean ,would it be a Saurer ? Swiss but not sure if ive spelt it correct ,MT

DEANB:
A little brain teaser for you chaps ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Whats the truck ?

Foreign! :unamused: I thought a Maggie at first, probably not though. :slight_smile:

Pete.

DEANB:

Whats the truck ?

Looks like a Henschel

I agree looks like a hanomag henschel

Liaz maybe ?

I would guess bussing

A Fiat?

A “York” !!! :confused: :wink:

A 70’s era Bussing BS16 or 19S, going by the mirror arms. Franky.

Bollekens AEC ? Cheers Coomsey

JAKEY:
Message for Pete Smith , bet you thought you were on top of the world with that lovely T45 roadtrain instead of a bloody Merc ?

Hi Jakey,
That 1617 was the only Merc we had at Penkridge when I started in 1990, I never had a regular motor allocated, various 1617 Cruisers,a hired Scania P113 that ended up in Bewicks fleet and then the Roadtrain, we got paid “Standard Hours” ie, job and knock so that Roadtrain did pass the National Express coaches a few times on the M1 and M6!. I liked the motor, bit of a rough rider as we never carried any weight unless it was catalogue delivery time! Cheer’s Pete

robroy:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,
Cox Long are from Stafford,

Is that the guy’s name, or is he just boasting. :smiley:

(Yeh, ok I’m childish. :blush: :laughing: )

Rob,
The company was named after a few posters on the other channel! :wink:

I note that one of the Fodens is sporting the reg No. M 3631 which is an old Cheshire reg. and the Fodens my Great Grandad Thomas Bewick & Son ran were all Cheshire “M” reg’s two of which were M 3102 and M 5527. My Great Aunt Dorothy ( Dora as we called her) one of Thos. Bewicks two daughters , the other was Sarah my Gran , told me that Thomas used to travel by train to Elworth to collect the new Fodens from the factory hence the Cheshire reg. Nos. He had pay cash on collection circa £1,000 per motor which apparently he dispensed from a money belt in Sovereigns !! No Bank transfers or “Drip” in those far off days !! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
I have been reading a book written in 1970 by a Foden employee that used to test drive then deliver the steamers in the 1920’s, very interesting reading regarding the ground they could cover as it contains some operating costs regarding the fleet of Fodens that J.N Miller ran, a company I worked for, but unlike your Great Grandad’s fleet they where registered in Wolverhampton, as most where registered at the factory.
He states that they left Liverpool with 12 tons of wheat on board, six wheelers, and arrived in Wolverhampton 4hrs and 50 minutes later, that was going via Warrington, A50 to Kidsgrove, A34 down to Stafford and then A449 in to Wolverhampton. I presume this route was used as the Mersey Tunnel had not been opened by then, pic of the Fodens below.
ps, sorry Dean for blocking your thread, Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:
Hi Dean,
Cox Long are from Stafford, used to have a yard at the top of Silkmore Lane but moved to Hixon Airfield. That Scania would have been supplied by West Pennine at Telford going by the Shropshire reg, Cheer’s Pete

Thanks for the info Pete,and heres a couple more of Banks Brewery. :smiley: :wink:

Ray Smyth:
“DEANB”

Rathbones MAN.

Cox Long Scania.Dont think we have had one of these on before.

Hi Dean, Rathbones had a large bakery on the A49, Warrington Road, in the Newtown area of Wigan.

Its a good job that the Cox Long Scania`s signwriting of the company name is in alphabetical order.
Had it been the opposite way, it would have been Long Cox. :wink: Cheers, Ray.

Thanks for your input Ray. :wink:

gingerfold:
“DEANB”

Rathbones MAN.

The Rathbones MAN was probably on inter-bakery trunking duties between Wigan and the former Kears bakery at Rogerstone. Kears acquired Rathbones through quite a convoluted takeover, and as Rathbone was the stronger brand Kear’s re-branded itself as Rathbones. Eventually the entire group collapsed and was bought by Morrisons supermarkets. Rathbones (and Kears) were major customers of Spillers Milling when I worked for that company. Tom Rathbone was a director of Wigan Rugby League club, he gave me tickets to attend a Challenge Cup Final one year at the old Wembley Stadium.

It seem most companies these days are taken over by a larger one Graham,and loads seem to try to get too big too quick and go bust. :wink:

smallcoal:
hi dean .the biffa lorry is from cardiff or swansea branch its carrying uk waste which was a company they took over

Thanks for the comment John. :wink:

robroy:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,

:smiley:

JAKEY:
Message for Pete Smith , bet you thought you were on top of the world with that lovely T45 roadtrain instead of a bloody Merc ?

Talking about Roadtrains “JAKEY” heres one of your favourites. :wink:

ergomatic man:
Argos Mercedes.did the 1617 unit have the 6 speed box,i drove a couple of these in rigid form a d reg 6 speed and a y reg with the back to front 8 speed.

Had a 1820 “ergomatic” which had the 6 speed,good truck and comfortable. :wink:

pete smith:
I note that one of the Fodens is sporting the reg No. M 3631 which is an old Cheshire reg. and the Fodens my Great Grandad Thomas Bewick & Son ran were all Cheshire “M” reg’s two of which were M 3102 and M 5527. My Great Aunt Dorothy ( Dora as we called her) one of Thos. Bewicks two daughters , the other was Sarah my Gran , told me that Thomas used to travel by train to Elworth to collect the new Fodens from the factory hence the Cheshire reg. Nos. He had pay cash on collection circa £1,000 per motor which apparently he dispensed from a money belt in Sovereigns !! No Bank transfers or “Drip” in those far off days !! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
I have been reading a book written in 1970 by a Foden employee that used to test drive then deliver the steamers in the 1920’s, very interesting reading regarding the ground they could cover as it contains some operating costs regarding the fleet of Fodens that J.N Miller ran, a company I worked for, but unlike your Great Grandad’s fleet they where registered in Wolverhampton, as most where registered at the factory.
He states that they left Liverpool with 12 tons of wheat on board, six wheelers, and arrived in Wolverhampton 4hrs and 50 minutes later, that was going via Warrington, A50 to Kidsgrove, A34 down to Stafford and then A449 in to Wolverhampton. I presume this route was used as the Mersey Tunnel had not been opened by then, pic of the Fodens below.
ps, sorry Dean for blocking your thread, Cheer’s Pete

Thanks for the comments Dennis and Pete on the Foden steamers. Out of intrest does anyone know if on that trip from Liverpool to
Wolverhampton would they carry enough water and coal to complete the trip, or do they have to stop several times to take on water
and coal ■■? Back then there must have been loads of small garages/ coal yards on all the main routes for the steam trucks to refuel.

Heres a few bits and bobs.

Click on pages twice.

Thanks to everyone for all the answers to the mystery truck ! :laughing: :laughing:

Some good guesses there and the winner is “vwvanman0” and second “Frankydobo”, it is indeed a Bussing. :smiley:

Whats your favourite truck “vwvanman0” ■■ :unamused:

Some other intresting answers from Peter Coaker and Hargreaves mentioning Henschel. I dont know anything about those makes
although i will have stuff on them,but did they all use a similar cab like when various manufacturers used Motor Panel cabs for
instance ?

I did post a front shot of the truck near the beginning of this thread with an advert. I dont remember ever seeing a UK registered
Bussing, does anyone else ■■ I cant see that they sold many ?

ad bussing.PNG

my vote goes to Bussing

tony

tonyj105:
my vote goes to Bussing

tony

So does mine now Tony :smiley: :smiley:

pete smith:

robroy:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,

Rob,
The company was named after a few posters on the other channel! :wink:

Ok :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Dean,

As a kid i travelled in many Leylands and mercs so my favourite is the Leyland marathon. Ahem i will get my coat!
Everyone says they were a lash up etc etc, but as a kid it was massive and we were king of the road.

Regarding the bussing,

There is a bussing with that cab for sale at the moment on mobile.de for 50k restored it has air suspension sleeper cab so advanced for the time compared with Brit trucks.

Keep up the great thread, and i don’t suppose you have any station haulage trucks in your collection, red cab white stripe from Colne Lancashire.

Regards Steve

DEANB:
Some from Wales and the borders.

R.N.Robert’s and Sons Volvo.

Chilton Bulk Volvo.

Mansel Davies Volvo.

D.J.Davies & Son DAF.

Bears Transport DAF.

Dont think we have had one of these on before, Severn Sands DAF.

A.E.Gough & Sons Mercedes.“tastrucker” Trevor dont remember having a Mercedes before,normally Volvo or Scania.

Golder Scania.

L.E.Jones Scania.

T.Alun Jones Scania.

hello DEAN ,yes i have not seen a Merc with Goughs ,it is usually Volvos and Scanias ,but he does have one or two DAFs as well ,thank you Trevor