PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Mark R:

tc trans:

Mark R:
When new…

The bodies are different, the grille is different, you sure its the same motor?
It looks like an earlier model of the merc, and the body on the merc is fixed deck.

The two trucks in the photos are actually only one digit apart. When they were replaced it was only the chassis and cab which was sold with the bodywork and trailer being used on the new vehicle. I hope this clears up any confusion.

When I was on car transporters that’s what our company did, brand new prime mover, body and drag then at 5 year old replace the prime mover and re use everything else then another 5 years and sell the whole lot.

The yellow Merc is B356 XKL and the new one in the second photo is B366 XKL. It’s obviously had a body swop after it was sold…quite common in the transporter industry as you say.

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the Volvo ?

T.P.Niven ERF.

Davis Haulage DAF.

BOC DAF.

Mike Beer Volvo bulker.

Alan Counsell Seddon Atkinson.

Way & Son Volvo bulker from Devon. See these a fair bit at Poole docks.

Rob Kingswell & Son Foden. Dont think we have had one on before.

N.R.Evans ERF.

Dont think we have had one of Priddy’s on before ? Anyone know where they are from ?

hi Dean ,Alan Counsall are a big tipper fleet from Caerleon nr Newport,that shot to me looks very much climbing up to Strinds quarry at Old Radnor near Kington regards Keith

Hi Dean & All

Priddys where from Basingstoke swollowed up by QTR of Reading which in turn is now part of the larger group that owns Downtons.

Cheers

Rich

Wonder if QTR held on to any of there preserved trucks or weather they were disposed of, any one know ? Buzzer.

19672444966_892b0c9761.jpg

13357808825_80c832cbc3_b.jpg

I believe that QTR still have the Trader and TK on the rally scene but I haven’t ever seen the Commer. I had it in my addled mind that the TK they replaced the FJ with in the 60’s was a long wheelbase version (I know that preserved one isn’t the original one anyway) but I might be getting confused with the company ‘Allsigns’ of Ascot, who we also dealt with, as they did buy a longwheelbase version fitted with a coach rear axle at about the same time that replaced a BMC WFK 5 tonner? :confused:

Pete.

Mark R:

tc trans:

Mark R:
When new…

The bodies are different, the grille is different, you sure its the same motor?
It looks like an earlier model of the merc, and the body on the merc is fixed deck.

The two trucks in the photos are actually only one digit apart. When they were replaced it was only the chassis and cab which was sold with the bodywork and trailer being used on the new vehicle. I hope this clears up any confusion.

:wink:

Thanks to "windrush,tribsa and buzzer,for the pics and comments about QTR / Priddy’s. :smiley:

Heres a few Paul sent through.

robthedog:
“neversweat1”]“robthedog”]Anyone recognise the Mercedes car transporter ■■?

Cant remember the name but I think they were from Petersfield Hants

GDS ?

gdslogisticsltd.co.uk
Yep that’s them just couldn’t remember the name.

Mark R:
The yellow Merc is B356 XKL and the new one in the second photo is B366 XKL. It’s obviously had a body swop after it was sold…quite common in the transporter industry as you say.

kingswinford kit:
“DEANB”

Alan Counsell Seddon Atkinson.

hi Dean ,Alan Counsall are a big tipper fleet from Caerleon nr Newport,that shot to me looks very much climbing up to Strinds quarry at Old Radnor near Kington regards Keith

Cheers Keith for the info,we have had a few of his on here now. :smiley: :wink:

Some foreign motors.

Raba.

I imagine Doman were a fairly large company as used to see alot of there trucks come through Poole.

Cisternas Reunidas Volvo F88. Henry used to run an office in Poole for this company.

Transports T.I.M. Pegaso.

Noyon Renault. They had an office in Cherbourg back in the 80’s.

Jose Carrillo Dodge. Massive company back in the day. Think there main depot was Cadiz from memory.

French Unic.

L1418p.JPG

French Volvo F12,heading to Poole docks.

L1430p.JPG

Spanish MAN.

L1433p.JPG

Portuguese Volvo F12.

Holmere Transport Volvo F88.

Tibbett & Britten DAF.

DCD Volvo F7.

Robsons of Carlisle DAF.

Anyone recognise the DAF ■■?

Roadways Hire Scania.

EEC Quarries Volvo F7.

Anyone recognise the Scania tanker ■■?

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■?

Allsons Marathon bulker. Not had one of these on before,anyone know where they are/were from ■■

I think the Scania tanker was operated from the yard just next to the A38 bypass around Lichfield. I am trying hard to remember the name of the operator!!

I recognise the livery but I can’t remember the name!!

Ed

The DAF 2800 with the 40 foot flat looks like the one that Bartrums of Diss had in the late 1970s. At that time they were comparing many different lorries and had one of most makes available at the time. That was before they settled on the Volvo F7 and before they became Seddon Atkinson dealers.

The DCD F7 was one of 4 or 5 on contract from Bergen Transport Monton ( later Trafford Park), 2 Volvo F12s 16 Speed and 2/3 F7s 8 Speed. Due to the F7s being lighter they always carried more payload. when the F7s came off contract and replaced with newer F7s they were repainted in Bergen colours. The F7 in the picture when it was in Bergen colours was my first unit after graduating from 4 wheelers.

EDTRUCK:
I think the Scania tanker was operated from the yard just next to the A38 bypass around Lichfield. I am trying hard to remember the name of the operator!!

Ed

Lichfield Road Tanker Services or Taylors, used to run tippers as well, all about as straight as a corkscrew!

Dean was not Roadways hire operated by Salisbury Scania dealer Unit Commercials, got a sneaky feeling it was, Buzzer.

EDTRUCK:

Ed

I know where you are coming from Ed i have the same problem often !! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

ChrisArbon:
The DAF 2800 with the 40 foot flat looks like the one that Bartrums of Diss had in the late 1970s. At that time they were comparing many different lorries and had one of most makes available at the time. That was before they settled on the Volvo F7 and before they became Seddon Atkinson dealers.

Thanks for the info Chris. :wink:

Dave.h:
The DCD F7 was one of 4 or 5 on contract from Bergen Transport Monton ( later Trafford Park), 2 Volvo F12s 16 Speed and 2/3 F7s 8 Speed. Due to the F7s being lighter they always carried more payload. when the F7s came off contract and replaced with newer F7s they were repainted in Bergen colours. The F7 in the picture when it was in Bergen colours was my first unit after graduating from 4 wheelers.

Thanks for the comments about the Volvo F7 Dave. Any photos chap ? :smiley:

pete smith:
“EDTRUCK”]I think the Scania tanker was operated from the yard just next to the A38 bypass around Lichfield. I am trying hard to remember the name of the operator!!

Ed

Lichfield Road Tanker Services or Taylors, used to run tippers as well, all about as straight as a corkscrew!

:laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Cheers Pete ! :wink:

Buzzer:
Dean was not Roadways hire operated by Salisbury Scania dealer Unit Commercials, got a sneaky feeling it was, Buzzer.

Thanks for that Buzzer, i expect when Harvey pops along he will confirm what you have said chap. :wink:

Unit Commercials are listed in the advert.

DEANB:

vwvanman0:
Nice info on the m62, i recall seeing a documentary on the building of the m62 and the 1960s space age designers planned to put heating systems under the tarmac to prevent winter issues. Sadly the technology wasn’t invented (maybe still isn’t)

Thanks Dean for keeping this brilliant thread going, keep up the good work.

Steve

Thanks for the comments Steve ! :wink: I find all of these old articles intresting to be honest. :smiley:

ramone:
Ironically it was a LAD Albion a bit like the ones you just posted but a day cab , it was a rough 'un though bloody noisy horrible thing

Sounds like you were not a fan then “ramone” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:
Jeese no bloody awful thing but it had already had a hard life , the AEC looks like an AEC to me too , excellent thread Dean

:smiley: :wink:

coomsey:
You tell him Pete !! :laughing:

I wondered how long before you would turn up ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

I think you both missed the point i was trying to make… :unamused:

Heres a couple of heavy hauliers for you two.

ERF-NGC-European:
Yes Dean, one of Olloquiegui’s trailers I’d say, but with a subbie’s Volvo up front :wink: .

Thats how you spell it Robert ! :laughing: I knew the name but was not sure of the spelling. The Volvo is one of Olloquieui’s. :wink:

Same emblem on cab door chap.

moomooland:
Great article Dean regarding the Northwest Motorways being built back in the 1960’s.

Great pics and info Paul, thanks for posting chap ! :smiley: :wink:

gingerfold:

DEANB:
BFC Transport AEC ■■? No doubt i am wrong i will wait for the usual bollocking of “Gingerfold” :laughing:

Cannot fault you this time DEAN, it’s a Mandator :smiley: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Had to get one right eventually ! :laughing: :laughing:

kenfig bill:
John Raymond Atkinson Borderer.

Hello Dean ,…good to the John Raymond Atkinson …on a P plate one of the last Borderers to be built the old man thinks …fond memories as a kid passing JRs depot at Waterton with all those Atkis lined up …thanks Dean from the two of us …lol .Geraint

Thanks for the comments Geraint. :wink:

Heres some more Atkinson’s for dad. :wink:

NMP.

tastrucker:
You certainly have a good knowledge of the companies around Wales and the borders Trevor. :smiley: :wink:
Hello DEAN ,thats because i have resided in the area for almost 78 yrs now ! thank you Trevor

That might have something to do with it Trevor ! :smiley: :laughing: :wink:

Hello Dean ,…many thanks for the JR Atkinson shots …the old man is well chuffed …and wishes to tell you ,that one of his equally old mates drove a Borderer hauling steel regularly from Margham to Corby for the making of steel tubes …from the both of us Dean …thanks again Geraint …lol

EDTRUCK:

Ed

Taylors of Lichfield

kenfig bill:
John Raymond Atkinson Borderer.

Hello Dean ,…good to the John Raymond Atkinson …on a P plate one of the last Borderers to be built the old man thinks …fond memories as a kid passing JRs depot at Waterton with all those Atkis lined up …thanks Dean from the two of us …lol .Geraint

Heres some more Atkinson’s for dad. :wink:
Hello Dean ,…many thanks for the JR Atkinson shots …the old man is well chuffed …and wishes to tell you ,that one of his equally old mates drove a Borderer hauling steel regularly from Margham to Corby for the making of steel tubes …from the both of us Dean …thanks again Geraint …lol

Not the best of pics but another Atki of the Steel Company of Wales. :wink:

wales steel company of wales ppg.PNG

CJA1:
“EDTRUCK”

Ed

Taylors of Lichfield

Thanks for also confirming it was one of Taylor’s “CJA1” :smiley:

Some oldies.

L6589p.JPG

D.J.Light Maggie from Holcombe,Somerset.

AQ27.JPG

Click on pages twice to read.

Betchworth like there Volvo’s.

P8050153p.JPG

betchworth.PNG

betchworth1.PNG