PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

pete smith:

The 6 wheel F86 belonged to Heads Transport from Willenhall, Dean thanks again for posting the photo’s, it’s nice to see the motor’s as well as the how road used to be at Ross on Wye before the island was put in and, I think I’m correct in saying, the services both sides of the road before the Ross Spur island, Cheer’s Pete, ps. pass on my thanks to Paul for lending you the pic’s.
[/quote]
The two fuel stations at Ross were run by the Kenning Group, who also ran the two at Strensham at the time. I spent a few months running the ones at Ross in my mis-spent youth until I got pi**ed off with working weekends with no extra pay!

Viewing these marvellous photo’s from Paul Gee’s collection,I wonder if he took a picture,side on as requested by YKW,of a 240 Percy powered Big J?..what a coup that would be!!!

David

[/quote]
The 6 wheel F86 belonged to Heads Transport from Willenhall, Dean thanks again for posting the photo’s, it’s nice to see the motor’s as well as the how road used to be at Ross on Wye before the island was put in and, I think I’m correct in saying, the services both sides of the road before the Ross Spur island, Cheer’s Pete, ps. pass on my thanks to Paul for lending you the pic’s.
[/quote]
Thanks Pete ,Those little F86’s were really reliable and quick motors in their day ! Paul will be reading
posts so will see your comments,and that is why he has let me put the photos on as he knows we all like
to look at the old motors and comment. :smiley:

5thwheel:
Viewing these marvellous photo’s from Paul Gee’s collection,I wonder if he took a picture,side on as requested by YKW,of a 240 Percy powered Big J?..what a coup that would be!!!

David

David, Sorry i must have missed something what company are you talking about re the Guy big J ■■?

Retired Old ■■■■:

pete smith:

The two fuel stations at Ross were run by the Kenning Group, who also ran the two at Strensham at the time. I spent a few months running the ones at Ross in my mis-spent youth until I got pi**ed off with working weekends with no extra pay!
[/quote]
Thanks Retired old ■■■■, glad they are bringing back some memories.

A00072.JPG

A00073.JPG

A00074.JPG

A00075.JPG

A00076.JPG

A00077.JPG

A00078.JPG

A00079.JPG

A00080.JPG

A00081.JPG

DEANB:

[/quote]
Thanks Pete ,Those little F86’s were really reliable and quick motors in their day ! Paul will be reading
posts so will see your comments,and that is why he has let me put the photos on as he knows we all like
to look at the old motors and comment. :smiley:

5thwheel:

David

David, Sorry i must have missed something what company are you talking about re the Guy big J ■■?

Retired Old ■■■■:

pete smith:

[/quote]
Thanks Retired old ■■■■, glad they are bringing back some memories.

[/quote]
Dean,

ANY photo of a 240 Percy powered Big J will do,however a Smith of Maddiston,of which I drove for,would be capital!!!..as you must be aware,Dennis Smith,aka Bewick,and it must be said others,doubt the voracity of drivers and mechanics that worked on the illusive motor,so a picture would be conclusive!

David

The first 7 photos are of trucks leaving Poole docks,and on the left was Corralls who were coal merchants.
That road looks completely differnt these days,and Corralls are long gone. The whole road pretty much is
now Sunseeker the luxury boat builer.

AN01.JPG

AN02.JPG

AN03.JPG

AN04.JPG

AN05.JPG

AN06.JPG

AN07.JPG

AQ01.JPG

The Volvo has got flags in the windscreen,which was common in trucks back in the 70s.

AQ02.JPG

AQ03.JPG

5thwheel:

David

David, There will definately be photos of Big J’s but i doubt if there are any with a rear / side view of the
engine. However if i see one i will pop it on,trust me its not that easy,too many photos.

Thanks Deanb for going to trouble of posting these Paul Gee photos they are amazing shots of what lorries do day in and day out, and certainly for me capture a time that i grew up in. Remember the Abbey Hill group transporters, bright yellow vehicles as they had a few that ran out of Teesport when the Datsuns used to come in to the country.

DEANB:

5thwheel:

David

David, There will definately be photos of Big J’s but i doubt if there are any with a rear / side view of the
engine. However if i see one i will pop it on,trust me its not that easy,too many photos.

Hiya Deano, now notwithstanding what a great site this is turning into you shouldn’t get swept along on this evangelical crusade to produce a side on shot of an 8LXB engine Big J :wink: However if Paul has managed this “mission impossible” feat he will go down in the annals of TNUK as “The Greatest” and the dimished numbers of “Believers” will without doubt revere his name for all time ! Now if the shot also were to show that the said Big J was being driven by Elvis that would defo be the shot of the century :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: Congratulations on what is a fine site all the same and keep’em coming Great ! Cheers Bewick.

jshepguis:
Thanks Deanb for going to trouble of posting these Paul Gee photos they are amazing shots of what lorries do day in and day out, and certainly for me capture a time that i grew up in. Remember the Abbey Hill group transporters, bright yellow vehicles as they had a few that ran out of Teesport when the Datsuns used to come in to the country.

Abbey Hill Group was owned by Roger Bastable who also had a rock band in which he played drums. He was doing well until some whizz kid decided to carry cars on three decks ( and cut the rates in the process!). I believe Roger sold out to one of the big companies of that era but what’s left of the memory cell refuses to drag up more details. :unamused:

Retired Old ■■■■:

pete smith:

[/quote]
So how much a gallon did you give for the “fiddle” ROF ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Superb collection of photos, Dean. Thanks to you and Paul.
And take very little notice of that Doubting Thomas from ■■■■■■■■ he’s just trying to put everyone off the scent! Try asking him about the barn full of hardly-used ■■■■■■■ engines that are stockpiled after doing the dirty on those nice Smith chaps up in Maddiston. Apparently the deal with Hoo Flung Dung, the Hong Kong junk dealer went sour when the Chinese spotted that the badges on the engines were totally different and they only had six cylinders.

Here he goes again, assuming that everyone was up to the same sort of dastardly deeds as he was! In any case, I am pleading the fifth amendment on the question of “dodgy” fuel!!!

Retired Old ■■■■:
And take very little notice of that Doubting Thomas from ■■■■■■■■ he’s just trying to put everyone off the scent! Try asking him about the barn full of hardly-used ■■■■■■■ engines that are stockpiled after doing the dirty on those nice Smith chaps up in Maddiston. Apparently the deal with Hoo Flung Dung, the Hong Kong junk dealer went sour when the Chinese spotted that the badges on the engines were totally different and they only had six cylinders.

Don’t change the subject ROF we are now enquiring about your misspent youth at Ross-on Wye :blush: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers bewick.

Retired Old ■■■■:

Nice one ROF :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

David

DEANB:

5thwheel:

David

Appreciated Dean,there is a nice malt with your name on it if you come up with the goods!!!

David

If you can do it I reckon Bewick should come up with a whole case of the Scottish water.

jshepguis:

Glad its bringing back some memories ! Abbey Hill group were i think the biggest car transporters
around back then ?

Retired Old ■■■■:

jshepguis:

Abbey Hill Group was owned by Roger Bastable who also had a rock band in which he played drums. He was doing well until some whizz kid decided to carry cars on three decks ( and cut the rates in the process!). I believe Roger sold out to one of the big companies of that era but what’s left of the memory cell refuses to drag up more details. :unamused:

Thanks Retired Old ■■■■ for the info.

Now,

Bewick:

DEANB:

5thwheel:

David

Hiya Deano, now notwithstanding what a great site this is turning into you shouldn’t get swept along on this evangelical crusade to produce a side on shot of an 8LXB engine Big J :wink: However if Paul has managed this “mission impossible” feat he will go down in the annals of TNUK as “The Greatest” and the dimished numbers of “Believers” will without doubt revere his name for all time ! Now if the shot also were to show that the said Big J was being driven by Elvis that would defo be the shot of the century :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: Congratulations on what is a fine site all the same and keep’em coming Great ! Cheers Bewick.

Elvis definately hasnt got time to be driving hes too busy working down the local coop ! :smiley: :laughing:

Now you three trouble makers (5th wheel, Bewick and retired old ■■■■) whats this nonsence all
about then ! :unamused: :wink:

Only thing i remember about those Guys was that they were noisey and sloooooooooooooow !! Now i did not
realise that it was such a big deal. I will pop something on Bewicks thread ! :laughing: :wink:

Todays pics,include ERF,Mercedes,Volvo :laughing: , DAF,Seddon Atkinson,Foden,Dodge,Fiat and Scania.

A00082.JPG

A00083.JPG

A00084.JPG

A00085.JPG

d austen.jpg

A00088.JPG

A00089.JPG

A00090.JPG

A00091.JPG

Hi deanb,
Just come accross this new site, “fantastic” !!!
As you say, looking into the background is just as good and interesting.
My money was on the A303 near Stonehenge on a few but was put right.
Great site, keep em coming pall
Harvey

HRS:
Hi deanb,
Just come accross this new site, “fantastic” !!!
As you say, looking into the background is just as good and interesting.
My money was on the A303 near Stonehenge on a few but was put right.
Great site, keep em coming pall
Harvey

Hello Harvey ,glad you are enjoying Paul’s photos ! There will be new ones every day. :wink:

Nice mixed selection ,ERF,Ford,Seddon,Scania,Foden,DAF,Dodge and a rare Unic.

Must be the smallest trailer ever !

AQ04.JPG

AQ05.JPG

AQ06.JPG

AQ07.JPG

AQ08.JPG

AQ09.JPG

AQ11.JPG

AQ12.JPG

AQ13.JPG

Does anyone know were Unic trucks sold here or just the similar looking Fiats ■■

AQ14.JPG

That’s a mighty fine Tilcon Foden nestling in today’s selection. Wonder where it would’ve been based. :confused: