PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

ERF-NGC-European:
Merry Christmas DEANB! Some F88s, like this Oz example, were fitted with proper gearboxes - constant-mesh 9-speed Fullers :wink: Robert

Morning Robert, Hope you are having a good Christmas.
I sold an ERF Olympic to a small company in Berkshire long ago and the driver insisted on a Twin split box, we were pushing ZF at the time (more aceptable to drivers with the peak of there cap at the back) and on delivery i sided up to the driver and asked “why do you insist so strongly on the twin split” he was a young man and it took me some time to get him into the box, he said the owner likes to drive my truck and He cant drive constant mesh so this will keep the bugger out of my truck. Happy days, have a good 2019. Harvey

HRS:

ERF-NGC-European:
Merry Christmas DEANB! Some F88s, like this Oz example, were fitted with proper gearboxes - constant-mesh 9-speed Fullers :wink: Robert

Morning Robert, Hope you are having a good Christmas.
I sold an ERF Olympic to a small company in Berkshire long ago and the driver insisted on a Twin split box, we were pushing ZF at the time (more aceptable to drivers with the peak of there cap at the back) and on delivery i sided up to the driver and asked “why do you insist so strongly on the twin split” he was a young man and it took me some time to get him into the box, he said the owner likes to drive my truck and He cant drive constant mesh so this will keep the bugger out of my truck. Happy days, have a good 2019. Harvey

Morning Harvey. I love little stories like that! I also loved the Twin-splitter 'box. Merry Christmas old mate and keep it all coming! Robert

[zb]
anorak:

bald:
First, I wish everyone a merry christmas and a happy new year.
Second, congratulations for reaching the 300 page mark.

But regarding the Bob Tuck “rear view” article about “Pete’s sweet 89”, a right hand drive 89 ?
I tought it was physicaly impossible to put the 89 engine in a right hand drive vehicle, even as a self built.

The Aussies used to do it, despite the offset-to-the right engine hump. There has been some discussion of it on various threads. That lorry, however, sports an 88-290 front panel/grille arrangement. If it were not for the text, one would just assume that that was what the vehicle was. The writer of the article could have asked the question…

Again on 89s, one of the pages quotes the power at 300bhp to BS 141, not 330. Given that Volvo’s own spec sheets quote the 330 to the SAE standard, the 300 net figure makes sense. It would equate to about 305bhp DIN, although that is at odds with Volvo’s own claims, IIRC.

Christmas would not be complete without a dose of old lorry pedantry. A productive New Year of historical ramblings to all of you.

The conversion factor from BS 141 power ratings to SAE is to add 9%. So 300 bhp at BS 141 plus 9% is 327 bhp at SAE ratings, so Volvo (and every other maker) would round up the the nearest whole number. To add to the pedantry there was then a 5% margin allowed. I will await Carryfast to opine about torque in relation to power. :confused: :confused:

The day cab 88 looks like one of Strathclyde transport Motherwell it’s got a Motherwell and Wishaw reg no

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the Mercedes fridge motor ■■

Material Movements Leyland.

United Carriers ERF

Vectis Transport Volvo F7 from the Isle of Wight.

Harold Thomas DAF low loader. “Buzzer” is that taken in Southampton ■■ Dont think we have had one of these on before.

“FLOURPOWER” Hovis Foden.
Merry Christmas Dean and Paul,been a few flour crackers loved the Nelstrops Foden and the Hovis Sed atki 200 a few pages back keep up the good work both!!

ARC. How about this one Daz ! :wink:

Dont remember seeing this company before. Mostyn Phelps Marathon bulker. Anyone know where they were from ■■

I miss seeing this company on the road. What actually happened to them,were Atkins taken over ■■

Fullers Transport Transcontinental.

Could that Volvo be R.F.Ford looks like there colour scheme, Buzzer

A03608p.JPG

DEANB:
We have had a few of these iconic trucks on here. Volvo’s mighty F89 ! :laughing:

The yellow and red one pulling the Myson container.
Looks like its on a V reg. Didn’t the F10/12 range appear on an S plate ?

Elliotts MAN parked in their yard.

Anyone recognise the tipper ? Leyland or AEC ? leyland,aec neither its an albion!!

Upton Oil Foden.

Anyone recognise the crane or the Seddon Atkinson ■■?

Anyone recognise the Maggie ■■?

James Transcon from Poole.

[/quote]

ergomatic man:

Elliotts MAN parked in their yard.

Anyone recognise the tipper ? Leyland or AEC ? leyland,aec neither its an albion!!

Upton Oil Foden.

Anyone recognise the crane or the Seddon Atkinson ■■?

Anyone recognise the Maggie ■■?

James Transcon from Poole.

[/quote]
No picture !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DEANB:

United Carriers ERF

Harold Thomas DAF low loader. “Buzzer” is that taken in Southampton ■■ Dont think we have had one of these on before.

ARC. How about this one Daz ! :wink:

Dont remember seeing this company before. Mostyn Phelps Marathon bulker. Anyone know where they were from ■■

I miss seeing this company on the road. What actually happened to them,were Atkins taken over ■■

Hi Dean
I thought you would know mostyn phelps they were from your neck of the woods Poole.
The Harold Thomas DAF Is in Southampton, western esplanade heading towards civic centre

Buzzer:
Could that Volvo be R.F.Ford looks like there colour scheme, Buzzer

R G Ford {RICHARD GARY FORD}

DEANB:

United Carriers ERF

ARC. How about this one Daz ! :wink: Hello Dean just having a quick browse on here as we have had a hectic xmas with family and friends and lots going on this year i have just seen all the recent photos on this post which you have put on there are some fantastic oldies again which i have not seen before the ARC Scammell Routeman tipper is superb that is a new one to me which i have not seen before i have a handfull of the sister trucks to that one the reg no EYD …T I Hope you paul Mark have had Great xmas this year Thank you for posting all the excellent Pictures keep up with the great work here All the Best from DAZ :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink: :wink: :wink:

DEANB:
Stephens Transport ERF

Rugby Cement ERF

Sun Valley Fiat

Anyone recognise the Foden ■■

Toyota Mercedes car transporter.

Anyone recognise the day cab F88 ■■?

John Evans International DAF. Welsh motor ■■

Leggett Freightways Seddon Atkinson.

C.M.Philpotts Maggie bulker. They must have run a fair few motors as we have had loads of theirs on here.

Pickford’s MAN.

Hi Dean ,Stephens Transport from Pontypool ,excellent shot ,had a tidy ERF fleet that worked out of the nearby Panteg steelworks . The Foden looks like a Co op Cardiff based motor , . Happy New Year Dean ,looking forward to more S WALES motors for 2019 , MT

DEANB:
Volvo F89 road test from 1974.

Click on pages twice to read.

Volvo G89 road test at 52 tons.

Advert.

These new fancy foreign motors will never take on over here :wink: … i didn`t know Volvo made a 165 estate car !!!

Great Thread …enjoyed the F89 addition …thought you would like this one from Jeddah around 1976/7

Thanks for all the replies and comments, pics from everyone,much appreciated. :smiley: :wink:

Harvey and Buzzer commented on Moreys Daf’s from Ringwood. Found these old adverts i must have scanned years ago.

moreys daf 76 ppg.PNG

Posted this pic the other day of a smart kenneth Wilson Foden,then found this article that may be of intrest from 1969.

Click on pages twice to read.

L1869p.JPG

foden kenneth wilson 695 ppg.PNG

Griffiths Pallets MAN.

P8150082p.JPG

Viridor MAN skip truck.

P8120325p.JPG

Co op/ Leo’s Scania.

P4030056p.JPG

Possibly an ex BP ERF ■■?

P3010060.JPG

Anyone recognise the ERF ■■?

P3010047p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Volvo car transporter ■■?

P4040075p.JPG

SIT Logistics Volvo.

P8160022p.JPG

Looks like Turners Iveco.

P8160024p.JPG

Kenny Renault.

P8160096p.JPG

Imperial tankers Iveco.

P8160154p.JPG

McAlpine dump truck. Anyone know the make ? Popped an article on about McAlpine’s on page 262.

L2139p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Transcon. Looks like a heavy haulage spec,with air con unit.

L1894p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Mercedes ■■

L2025p.JPG

Elliotts Transport yard shot.

L1910p.JPG

Robsons of Carlisle. Posted an article about them on page 146.

L2078p.JPG

Poole trucking DAF

L2167p.JPG

Anyone recognise the F88 arriving at Poole docks ■■?

L2177p.JPG

Leyland Bison taken in Westbourne,Bournemouth. Anyone recognise it ■■?

L1842p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Ford D series ? Also would that have been used in Forestry work ■■

L1780p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Volvo F10 ■■

L2026p.JPG