PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Some oldies.

Make sure you have a look at page 300 as posted a fair bit on that page this morning. :wink:

We have had a few of these iconic trucks on here. Volvo’s mighty F89 ! :laughing:

DA0017.JPG

A01797.JPG

A01856.JPG

A02670.JPG

CRA519T.jpg

A03338p.JPG

A03608p.JPG

A01860.JPG

L2073.JPG

L1421.JPG

Volvo F89 brochure.

Click on pages twice to read.

Volvo F89 spec sheets.

Volvo F89 road test from 1974.

Click on pages twice to read.

Volvo G89 road test at 52 tons.

Advert.

Whilst the Volvo F89 was built for the long haul operator who needed quick journey times,they also were operated by
many heavy haulage contractors due to their pulling power and reliability.

250 tons at 25 mph ! :laughing: :laughing: I bet that was fun to try and stop ! :unamused:

Stephens Transport ERF

Rugby Cement ERF

Sun Valley Fiat

Anyone recognise the Foden ■■

Toyota Mercedes car transporter.

Anyone recognise the day cab F88 ■■?

John Evans International DAF. Welsh motor ■■

Leggett Freightways Seddon Atkinson.

C.M.Philpotts Maggie bulker. They must have run a fair few motors as we have had loads of theirs on here.

Pickford’s MAN.

Anyone recognise the Mercedes fridge motor ■■

Material Movements Leyland.

United Carriers ERF

Vectis Transport Volvo F7 from the Isle of Wight.

Harold Thomas DAF low loader. “Buzzer” is that taken in Southampton ■■ Dont think we have had one of these on before.

“FLOURPOWER” Hovis Foden.

ARC. How about this one Daz ! :wink:

Dont remember seeing this company before. Mostyn Phelps Marathon bulker. Anyone know where they were from ■■

I miss seeing this company on the road. What actually happened to them,were Atkins taken over ■■

Fullers Transport Transcontinental.

F89 Still looking well Dean, could just jump in this and do a continental run :smiley: Taken at Thirsk Truck gathering this year.

Merry Christmas DEANB! Some F88s, like this Oz example, were fitted with proper gearboxes - constant-mesh 9-speed Fullers :wink: Robert

DEANB:
Just like to thanks all the regular posters on here for there comments / pics and input over the last year,much appareciated ! :laughing:

Paul, Mark and me would like to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and New Year ! :smiley: :wink:

Happy Christmas and a Very Happy New Year to you Dean and Paul and Mark
Also thanks for making this site one of the best on Trucknet
Kind regards Gary [emoji1303]

First, I wish everyone a merry christmas and a happy new year.
Second, congratulations for reaching the 300 page mark.

But regarding the Bob Tuck “rear view” article about “Pete’s sweet 89”, a right hand drive 89 ?
I tought it was physicaly impossible to put the 89 engine in a right hand drive vehicle, even as a self built.

The photo of the Cartransport Mercedes 1626 really made my day… The first job I ever had after leaving school.
You’ll notice that these 1626’s had there roofs cut away at the back to allow extra clearance between the cab and the top deck, also unusually this particular one hasn’t got a ladder on the front to access the front car on the top deck (most of them had one). I’m thinking that maybe this one was nearly new and hadn’t yet had the ladder fitted. Shame I can’t remember who drove this particular one 497 but it was over 30 years ago!
Happy Christmas to all.

One of the sister motor’s (489) in the reversed livery complete with ladder.

DEANB:
Stephens Transport ERF

Rugby Cement ERF

Sun Valley Fiat

Anyone recognise the Foden ■■

Toyota Mercedes car transporter.

Anyone recognise the day cab F88 ■■?

John Evans International DAF. Welsh motor ■■

Leggett Freightways Seddon Atkinson.

C.M.Philpotts Maggie bulker. They must have run a fair few motors as we have had loads of theirs on here.

Pickford’s MAN.

Materials movements are still going strong , see them a lot going to Tower road in Eastleigh to pick up stone etc

Based in Nursling

i think ‘Mostyn Phelps’ (Marathon bulker) was from Blandford area.

bald:
First, I wish everyone a merry christmas and a happy new year.
Second, congratulations for reaching the 300 page mark.

But regarding the Bob Tuck “rear view” article about “Pete’s sweet 89”, a right hand drive 89 ?
I tought it was physicaly impossible to put the 89 engine in a right hand drive vehicle, even as a self built.

The Aussies used to do it, despite the offset-to-the right engine hump. There has been some discussion of it on various threads. That lorry, however, sports an 88-290 front panel/grille arrangement. If it were not for the text, one would just assume that that was what the vehicle was. The writer of the article could have asked the question…

Again on 89s, one of the pages quotes the power at 300bhp to BS 141, not 330. Given that Volvo’s own spec sheets quote the 330 to the SAE standard, the 300 net figure makes sense. It would equate to about 305bhp DIN, although that is at odds with Volvo’s own claims, IIRC.

Christmas would not be complete without a dose of old lorry pedantry. A productive New Year of historical ramblings to all of you.

L2781p.JPG

John Evans were from Newport, and were also Daf agents.