PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
[

2 x Atkinson borderers.

GAJ 633N, at the front, was restored in its original livery a while ago, although later changed hands and lost those colours again:

Atkinson Borderer GAJ633N Sanderson by Shaun Ballisat, on Flickr
GAJ633N by Andy Bardsley, on Flickr

Hiya Chris, I wonder which ■■■■■■■ engine the Atki had 220 or maybe 250 ? As I note it has the Kirkstall D85 axle so possibly had the bigger Fuller box the 95909, just idle curiosity on my part mate as those later built Borderers had a mixture of specs and some of them got the 250 ■■■■■■■ prior to the launch of the Sed/Atk IIRC. Cheers Dennis.

A00213.JPG
Now theres an oddity Spencers out n out ERF men ran 15/20 of em in the 70s tidy fleet
N even odder they’re still going went for Scania now a few Volvos
Cheers Dean/Paul

It certainly was a different world of haulage back then. Thank you for bringing back fond memories.

Great seeing the two Arthur Sanderson Borderers, father and uncles drove for them. Driver of GAJ 633N was Richard Wilson, this lorry was used as a tramper and wasn’t on changeover or trunking duties along with GHN 535N which may be the other borderer behind in photo. Sandersons had a depot in Newport so most of the work was between the north east and south wales, steel especially. Is this road the Monmouth road?
Dennis as far as i can remember Sandersons fleet was pretty standardised in that Gardner 180 david brown 6 speed. The last one of which my uncle drove DPY 565L had the later axle as it was about 10mph faster than the others! They then bought 3 Gardner 240 and 4 off 220 ■■■■■■■ all with 9 speed Fullers on M plates then GAJ and GHN were last Borderers bought with same spec, as far as i can recall, before they bought their first 400 series, which was also the first sleeper cab on the fleet.
Once again these photos are like a time capsule and once again thank you DeanB and Paul for putting these out.

Hi all,
Please forgive my repeating myself,this thread and the “time freezing images” just get better and better.thank you so much for sharing.
Regards andrew.

jshepguis:
Great seeing the two Arthur Sanderson Borderers, father and uncles drove for them. Driver of GAJ 633N was Richard Wilson, this lorry was used as a tramper and wasn’t on changeover or trunking duties along with GHN 535N which may be the other borderer behind in photo. Sandersons had a depot in Newport so most of the work was between the north east and south wales, steel especially. Is this road the Monmouth road?
Dennis as far as i can remember Sandersons fleet was pretty standardised in that Gardner 180 david brown 6 speed. The last one of which my uncle drove DPY 565L had the later axle as it was about 10mph faster than the others! They then bought 3 Gardner 240 and 4 off 220 ■■■■■■■ all with 9 speed Fullers on M plates then GAJ and GHN were last Borderers bought with same spec, as far as i can recall, before they bought their first 400 series, which was also the first sleeper cab on the fleet.
Once again these photos are like a time capsule and once again thank you DeanB and Paul for putting these out.

Thanks for the info, the Borderers sure were my favourite motor ! though the Sed /Atks never replaced to the same degree as far as I was concerned, and also from the personal experience of operating them ! Many Thanks Dennis.

Bewick:

jshepguis:

Thanks for the info, the Borderers sure were my favourite motor ! though the Sed /Atks never replaced to the same degree as far as I was concerned, and also from the personal experience of operating them ! Many Thanks Dennis.

hi dennis,
i recall sanderson very well.they ran a changeover with protheroe transport from port talbot.the changeover point was litchfield,many years later,during the 1990’s,i can also recall sanderson’s yard on corporation road newport,later became a part of the durham group,i think?
regards andrew.

pete 359:

Bewick:

jshepguis:

hi dennis,
i recall sanderson very well.they ran a changeover with protheroe transport from port talbot.the changeover point was litchfield,many years later,during the 1990’s,i can also recall sanderson’s yard on corporation road newport,later became a part of the durham group,i think?
regards andrew.

Thats correct they did become part of the group, Their colours were in the Durhams livery of all the firms that they took over, Regards Larry.

DEANB:
Always thought these Fodens had so much character about them ! Unlike all the modern stuff.

Bedford TM.

These Roman trucks must have been more popular than i remember i think thats the 3rd one.

Spanish Dodge.

Day cab Maggie.

Foden.

Maggie,looks heavy.

Tidy bedford TM day cab.

Your being spoilt BonkeyDollocks ! :wink:

Another day cab Crusader.

Pretty sure I was the first driver of the Mortons Dodge, it was BRS Truck Rental when it was new, and I had it the first week they went live, had it for a week absolute flyer.

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
[

2 x Atkinson borderers.

GAJ 633N, at the front, was restored in its original livery a while ago, although later changed hands and lost those colours again:

Thanks for the pics “240 Gardner” , nice to see its been restored ! :smiley:

Bewick:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
[

2 x Atkinson borderers.

Hiya Chris, I wonder which ■■■■■■■ engine the Atki had 220 or maybe 250 ? As I note it has the Kirkstall D85 axle so possibly had the bigger Fuller box the 95909, just idle curiosity on my part mate as those later built Borderers had a mixture of specs and some of them got the 250 ■■■■■■■ prior to the launch of the Sed/Atk IIRC. Cheers Dennis.

Thanks for your input Dennis. :wink:

coomsey:
A00233.JPG
Now theres an oddity Spencers out n out ERF men ran 15/20 of em in the 70s tidy fleet
N even odder they’re still going went for Scania now a few Volvos
Cheers Dean/Paul

Thanks Coomsey for your comments ! :wink:

gingerfold:
It certainly was a different world of haulage back then. Thank you for bringing back fond memories.

Sure was “gingerfold” glad you are enjoying it. :smiley:

jshepguis:

Thanks again for your input “jshepguis” :sunglasses:

pete 359:
Hi all,
Please forgive my repeating myself,this thread and the “time freezing images” just get better and better.thank you so much for sharing.
Regards andrew.

Thanks Andrew, glad you are enjoying the memories. Paul will be chuffed people are enjoying them. :smiley:

Lawrence Dunbar:

pete 359:

Bewick:

jshepguis:

hi dennis,
regards andrew.

Thats correct they did become part of the group, Their colours were in the Durhams livery of all the firms that they took over, Regards Larry.

Thanks Larry for your input. :wink:

Dieseldog66:

DEANB:
Always thought these Fodens had so much character about them ! Unlike all the modern stuff.

A00200.JPG

Bedford TM.

A00214.JPG

These Roman trucks must have been more popular than i remember i think thats the 3rd one.

A00216.JPG

Spanish Dodge.

A00217.JPG

Day cab Maggie.

A00218.JPG

Foden.

A00219.JPG

Maggie,looks heavy.

A00220.JPG

Tidy bedford TM day cab.

A00221.JPG

Your being spoilt BonkeyDollocks ! :wink:

A00222.JPG

Another day cab Crusader.

A00233.JPG

Pretty sure I was the first driver of the Mortons Dodge, it was BRS Truck Rental when it was new, and I had it the first week they went live, had it for a week absolute flyer.

Thats good to hear “Dieseldog66” i think you are about the 3rd driver that has seen one of his old trucks ! :sunglasses:

Crusader

A00200.JPG

Foden

A00214.JPG

Well loaded f86

A00216.JPG

Well known company Bassetts !

A00217.JPG

F88

A00218.JPG

Nice colour scheme on the Foden.

A00219.JPG

Atkinson heavy haulier of Wynns.

A00220.JPG

ICI Seddon Atkinson.

A00221.JPG

Plain DAF

A00222.JPG

DAF

A00233.JPG

Seddon Atkinson

AU12.JPG

Mercedes

AU13.JPG

DAF

AU14.JPG

Walkers 88

AU16.JPG

The Maggies were certainly popular back in the 1970s.

AU17.JPG

Spanish Dodge

AU18.JPG

Mercedes hay drawbar.

AU19.JPG

Big J Guy

AU20.JPG

Seddon Atkinson

AU21.JPG

Robert will like this one !

AU22.JPG

DEANB:
Atkinson heavy haulier of Wynns

Still with us, fortunately:

HBO 753N Atkinson Venturer T7566C by 240 Gardner, on Flickr
Atki Venturer HBO 753N by Gyles Carpenter, on Flickr

Some period adverts. (Click on pages twice to read)

Hiya,What fantastic photos again…There was this one in todays section that I had a go at years later when a few miles were under her belt,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

AU22.JPG

Hiya again,I had a go at this one too :smiley: ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

A00220.JPG

Mercedes Benz of Carlisle Brothers from Middlesbrough Cleveland a company i had completely forgotten about always smart red liveried vehicles IIRC.
And the side shot of the Guy Big J alas doesn’t look as if there are a couple of pots sticking out the back, but could this treasure trove of pictures come up with one ,that would please Dennis!

jshepguis:
Mercedes Benz of Carlisle Brothers from Middlesbrough Cleveland a company i had completely forgotten about always smart red liveried vehicles IIRC.
And the side shot of the Guy Big J alas doesn’t look as if there are a couple of pots sticking out the back, but could this treasure trove of pictures come up with one ,that would please Dennis!

Spoil Sport ! :blush: :blush: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

That Big J driver was spoiled- a proper engine AND a sleeper cab! Whatever next?

This happened last year. Apparently they are still going to run under the Bassett name.
S J Bargh Group Ltd has announced that it has bought Tittensor-based Bassetts – which employs 100 people in Stoke-on-Trent – for an undisclosed sum.

Right a bit off info the catnic Sedon Atkins belonged to f c brooks driven by Dennis williams rip for a short while then Bryn the animal hooper had it for years rip he lived in it. Then it went to leepaul transport… Then the orange Transcon twc 227r was driven by Keith lap pit in the pic then my brother had it for a couple of years wat a brilliant set of photos Paul gees please keep them coming regards rowly ward