PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

BonkeyDollocks:
Is the motor a Vauxhall Viva? Sure looks like it to me. :slight_smile:

Maybe a Hillman Hunter, Buzzer.

windrush:

BonkeyDollocks:
Just had to repost this pic… I hope Paul doesn’t mind. When I saw it this morning, my eyes were out on stalks! :smiley: It wouldn’t have been every day that a Hoveringham Mammoth Major loaded with Tarmac would’ve been chasing down an equally loaded Tilcon S80. If Paul sees this, can I ask where it was taken as my first thoughts were the AEC was based at Dene quarry Cromford Derbyshire while the Foden was from Ballidon quarry which is in the same area.

Of course I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely… But it’s a great thought and an even better photograph! :smiley: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Well if the Foden WAS from Ballidon it would be PNU 70M which was the only S80 with a 220 Rolls engine we had and, judging by the single inlet stack, it is a Rolls engine. This was involved in a bad accident with a low lowder carrying a portaloo and the cab was rebuilt which might explain the missing Foden Kite on the grille? The Late Curtis ‘Bert’ Weston from Brassington drove it from new and did regular Scotch runs in it, always booking a night out but actually nighting out at his house in Brassington and coming in around 10 am telling us what fun he had in Morecambe the night before!! Nobody ever let on that they knew the truth. :wink: I rebuilt the engine in it and it was a decent truck.

Pete.

Nice one Windy. That only confirms the suspicion they lorries ARE Derbyshire based.
Surely there isn’t anywhere else in the country where this could have happened?
I have seen a pic a while back of a Mammoth eight based at Dene in the early 70s and as you say the S80 is mid 70s vintage.

Thanks also for the details buddy! :sunglasses:

Buzzer:

BonkeyDollocks:

Looks like a HC Viva to me

seantoole5:

Buzzer:

BonkeyDollocks:

Looks like a HC Viva to me

It’s an HC Viva SL.

The Adam kinghorn marathon looks to have a non standard sleeper as the rear window is bigger than the standard bl one.

BonkeyDollocks:

windrush:

BonkeyDollocks:
Just had to repost this pic… I hope Paul doesn’t mind. When I saw it this morning, my eyes were out on stalks! :smiley: It wouldn’t have been every day that a Hoveringham Mammoth Major loaded with Tarmac would’ve been chasing down an equally loaded Tilcon S80. If Paul sees this, can I ask where it was taken as my first thoughts were the AEC was based at Dene quarry Cromford Derbyshire while the Foden was from Ballidon quarry which is in the same area.

Of course I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely… But it’s a great thought and an even better photograph! :smiley: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Well if the Foden WAS from Ballidon it would be PNU 70M which was the only S80 with a 220 Rolls engine we had and, judging by the single inlet stack, it is a Rolls engine. This was involved in a bad accident with a low lowder carrying a portaloo and the cab was rebuilt which might explain the missing Foden Kite on the grille? The Late Curtis ‘Bert’ Weston from Brassington drove it from new and did regular Scotch runs in it, always booking a night out but actually nighting out at his house in Brassington and coming in around 10 am telling us what fun he had in Morecambe the night before!! Nobody ever let on that they knew the truth. :wink: I rebuilt the engine in it and it was a decent truck.

Pete.

Nice one Windy. That only confirms the suspicion they lorries ARE Derbyshire based.
Surely there isn’t anywhere else in the country where this could have happened?
I have seen a pic a while back of a Mammoth eight based at Dene in the early 70s and as you say the S80 is mid 70s vintage.

Thanks also for the details buddy! :sunglasses:

BD, The pic was taken on the A40 from a bridge as per the X on the map. Trucks were heading towards
Cheltenham.

Heck… The plot thickens …! I need to consult my Hoveringham cohort to exact the details as to where when and whatever.

Thanks for précising the location Dean! :slight_smile:

Dean,
Hope you do not mind me re posting pic or we will end up with pages and pages of requotes!, AHP trailers was based in Wombourne Staffs, now part of Hingley trailer empire along with M+G trailer, it looks like it is loaded with chassis rails and you can see some axles on top, I can remember AHP running an ERF unit and the driver always seemed to mention he was going to Caerleon (spelling) near Newport everytime I saw him! The Bedford is heading in that direction so I wonder if they assembled any trailers in S.Wales? Cheer’s Pete

A00201.JPG

pv83:
Aye, that’s King’s from Bristol…no idea about the car though…cracking pic though :wink:

Vauxhall Viva, Stokey Plant was based in Wolverhampton but I think have moved to Telford now, I seem to remember a Kings ERF pictured in the Observer book series on Commercial Vehicles,

Tidy 89.

Yes… wold this be the same Hennessy who was sent down for innovative additional load compartments for imports??

ERF

I was hoping a Pandoro motor would pop up - this is fleet number 248 and I think it was a Stoke Depot motor, but it was 40 years ago!

Thanks to Buzzer,seantoole5, Marky and Pete Smith for confirming the car ! :wink:

vwvanman0:
The Adam kinghorn marathon looks to have a non standard sleeper as the rear window is bigger than the standard bl one.

Thanks for your input, vwvanman0 ! :smiley:

BonkeyDollocks:
Heck… The plot thickens …! I need to consult my Hoveringham cohort to exact the details as to where when and whatever.

No worries BD, Paul sent me the map to pop on here ! Its strange but he can remember where he took
every photo ! :sunglasses:

pete smith:
Dean,
Hope you do not mind me re posting pic or we will end up with pages and pages of requotes!, AHP trailers was based in Wombourne Staffs, now part of Hingley trailer empire along with M+G trailer, it looks like it is loaded with chassis rails and you can see some axles on top, I can remember AHP running an ERF unit and the driver always seemed to mention he was going to Caerleon (spelling) near Newport everytime I saw him! The Bedford is heading in that direction so I wonder if they assembled any trailers in S.Wales? Cheer’s Pete

Thanks for the observation Pete, hopefully one of the Welsh chaps will be able to tell us more :question: :smiley:

pete smith:

pv83:
Aye, that’s King’s from Bristol…no idea about the car though…cracking pic though :wink:

Vauxhall Viva, Stokey Plant was based in Wolverhampton but I think have moved to Telford now, I seem to remember a Kings ERF pictured in the Observer book series on Commercial Vehicles,

Your on the ball Pete ,here it is from the 1974 edition ! :laughing:

240 Gardner:
Tidy 89.

Yes… wold this be the same Hennessy who was sent down for innovative additional load compartments for imports??

ERF

I was hoping a Pandoro motor would pop up - this is fleet number 248 and I think it was a Stoke Depot motor, but it was 40 years ago!

Thanks 240 Gardner, for the input. Hennessy was a silly boy then if its the same one !

Makes even me feel old when you say 40 years ago and i am probably one of the youngest ones on here !! :unamused:

Looks like a bit of a Foden day,and you tipper boys are being spoilt ! :wink:

Tidy old Foden

AT27.JPG

Foden

AT28.JPG

ERF, Rugby cement motors were always tidy.

AT29.JPG

Plain Man

AT30.JPG

DAF

AT31.JPG

Another Foden

AT32.JPG

Atkinson.

AT33.JPG

Heavy haulier Foden.

AT34.JPG

Another Hoveringham motor !

AT35.JPG

A few adverts.

DEANB:
Thanks to Buzzer,seantoole5, Marky and Pete Smith for confirming the car ! :wink:

vwvanman0:

BonkeyDollocks:

No worries BD, Paul sent me the map to pop on here ! Its strange but he can remember where he took

pete smith:
Dean,

Thanks for the observation Pete, hopefully one of the Welsh chaps will be able to tell us more :question: :smiley:

pete smith:

pv83:

240 Gardner:
Tidy 89.

ERF

Thanks 240 Gardner, for the input. Hennessy was a silly boy then if its the same one !

Makes even me feel old when you say 40 years ago and i am probably one of the youngest ones on here !! :unamused:

Tidy old Foden

Foden

Plain Man

DAF

Another Foden

Atkinson.

Heavy haulier Foden.

Kin hell Dean!,
You are coming with some memories, the J.Round Atki operated out of a yard on Leabrook road Wednesbury, Cheer’s Pete

BonkeyDollocks:

Certainly knocks my theory in the head!! :wink: Possibly either a Forest of Dean or Gore based truck then?

Pete.

Before yesterday I’ve not been on here for a while so I had a bit of catching up to do… :smiley:

Imagine my surprise when I saw an old motor that I knew from new, and drove for a while… A quick pm to Dean and he got in touch with Paul Gee, who very kindly sent me a copy.

I just wanted to say - publicly - how grateful I am to the both of them, Dean for sorting it out and being the contact but especially Paul, firstly for taking all these great photo’s in the first place and secondly for being so generous as to let me have a copy…

Great pics, great memories and wonderful generosity :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Thank you both so much :smiley: :smiley:

pete smith:

DEANB:

vwvanman0:

BonkeyDollocks:

pete smith:
Dean,

pete smith:

pv83:

adverta.PNG

240 Gardner:
Tidy 89.

ERF

Tidy old Foden

Foden

Plain Man

DAF

Another Foden

Atkinson.

Heavy haulier Foden.

Kin hell Dean!,
You are coming with some memories, the J.Round Atki operated out of a yard on Leabrook road Wednesbury, Cheer’s Pete

Spot on with that company Pete,you even got the road right where there yard was ! Here an old advert ! :wink:

adverta.PNG

pete smith:
Dean,

Hi Pete. The only place I remember around that era was Crane Fruehauf in Pontypool. They had a place on the Polo Grounds estate right in front of the M.O.T. testing station.
The Gr-Sten motors posted iirc delivered special sand to GKNs foundry in Dowlais. Having drop-side body’s they probably back loaded out of there also.

Paul

windrush:

BonkeyDollocks:

Certainly knocks my theory in the head!! :wink: Possibly either a Forest of Dean or Gore based truck then?

Pete.

Thanks for the input Pete ! :wink:

Piston broke:
Before yesterday I’ve not been on here for a while so I had a bit of catching up to do… :smiley:

Imagine my surprise when I saw an old motor that I knew from new, and drove for a while… A quick pm to Dean and he got in touch with Paul Gee, who very kindly sent me a copy.

I just wanted to say - publicly - how grateful I am to the both of them, Dean for sorting it out and being the contact but especially Paul, firstly for taking all these great photo’s in the first place and secondly for being so generous as to let me have a copy…

Great pics, great memories and wonderful generosity :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Thank you both so much :smiley: :smiley:

No worries chap,lets hope thre are more ! :wink:

Paul John:

pete smith:
Dean,

Hi Pete. The only place I remember around that era was Crane Fruehauf in Pontypool. They had a place on the Polo Grounds estate right in front of the M.O.T. testing station.
The Gr-Sten motors posted iirc delivered special sand to GKNs foundry in Dowlais. Having drop-side body’s they probably back loaded out of there also.

Paul

Thanks for the information sounds about right. :slight_smile:

These Hoveringham tippers get about.

A00204.JPG

Tidy sheeted load on the Marathon.

A00205.JPG

F86 looks new !

A00206.JPG

Merc

A00207.JPG

Tidy ERF

A00208.JPG

Brand new Saviem.

A00209.JPG

Seddon Atkinson. Looks like another new one possibly.

A00210.JPG

2 x Atkinson borderers.

A00211.JPG

Big Transcon.

A00212.JPG

Seddon Atkinson

A00213.JPG

Merc.

AU01.JPG

Atkinson

AU02.JPG

Fiat with continental wheels. (Trilex ■■)

AU03.JPG

Dodge drawbar hay truck.

AU04.JPG

Tidy ERF

AU05.JPG

Mercedes

AU06.JPG

I reckon thats another new one !

AU07.JPG

Bedford TM

AU08.JPG

DAF

AU10.JPG

Mercedes

AU11.JPG

The reason there are so many new trucks is that Paul used to often take pics in the first couple of
weeks of August,and told me he was always on the look out for new registered trucks.

DEANB:
[

2 x Atkinson borderers.

GAJ 633N, at the front, was restored in its original livery a while ago, although later changed hands and lost those colours again:

Atkinson Borderer GAJ633N Sanderson by Shaun Ballisat, on Flickr
GAJ633N by Andy Bardsley, on Flickr