PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

MaggieD:

HRS:

ramone:
Great photos again Dean , I think the Leyland is an Octopus and the one further down is an Aec Mammoth Major . Keep up the great work

Hi ramone,
The Octopus, so light drivers checks included tightening up chassis bolts… ha !! put me right on the AEC, what was the Marshall Major, ■■ Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Hope you are keeping well, the Marshall Major from memory had the AV760 engine,and was available as a 6x2/6x4/8x2/8x4 Rigid,it had a bit more power than my old Marshall 6x4 with the AV505 I had on round timber down Dean’s part of the world.

Regards
Richard

Hello Richard,
Thanks for that.
So the Mammoth Major was the same as the Marshall range but with the AV505 engine.
I still keep in touch with a Mr Eric Pettit, who after RAF servic worked for AEC as a salesman for many years and used to supply Princes Commercials with trucks befoer the Leyland take over.
He then joined princes in sales. his memory is not so good these days but he is happy. For two hours I drove the V8 once, what a flyer that was.
Trust you are well
Harvey

AEC Mammoth Majors were heavyweight 6 wheelers, 8 wheelers and 6 wheel tractor units all with AV760 engines (after 1966). AEC Marshals were medium weight 6 wheelers with AV505 engines. There was a medium weight AEC Marshal Eight, an eight wheeler with AV505 engine, and there was a hybrid 6 wheeler, known as a Marshal Major with an AV760 engine de-rated to 180bhp.

gingerfold:
AEC Mammoth Majors were heavyweight 6 wheelers, 8 wheelers and 6 wheel tractor units all with AV760 engines (after 1966). AEC Marshals were medium weight 6 wheelers with AV505 engines. There was a medium weight AEC Marshal Eight, an eight wheeler with AV505 engine, and there was a hybrid 6 wheeler, known as a Marshal Major with an AV760 engine de-rated to 180bhp.

I had R reg Octopus 500engine boss mammoth major M reg could keep up with him but no chance of getting by. Don’t think they put a spanner on her,Mine never out the garage it seemed

Retired Old ■■■■:

kingswinford kit:
Great shots again that David Morris ERF 8 tipper rings a few bells ,think ROF ,will be able to fill us in on that one ! regards Keith .

When I saw the pic of the Morris ERF it rang a few bells, Keith, but although I recognised the 8-wheeler, I just couldn’t get the lonely memory cell to proceed with any further details. The lorry I remember, the name I also remember but I’m afraid we will have to rely on someone with a better memory to provide more information. It may have helped if the address had been a little clearer- my calor gas-powered PC doesn’t do the technology for that!
Anyone help?

Hello ROF i cant make the address out ,but the number plate is RCJ388W if that helps ?

HRS:

MaggieD:

HRS:

ramone:
Great photos again Dean , I think the Leyland is an Octopus and the one further down is an Aec Mammoth Major . Keep up the great work

Hi ramone,
The Octopus, so light drivers checks included tightening up chassis bolts… ha !! put me right on the AEC, what was the Marshall Major, ■■ Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Hope you are keeping well, the Marshall Major from memory had the AV760 engine,and was available as a 6x2/6x4/8x2/8x4 Rigid,it had a bit more power than my old Marshall 6x4 with the AV505 I had on round timber down Dean’s part of the world.

Regards
Richard

Hello Richard,
Thanks for that.
So the Mammoth Major was the same as the Marshall range but with the AV505 engine.
I still keep in touch with a Mr Eric Pettit, who after RAF servic worked for AEC as a salesman for many years and used to supply Princes Commercials with trucks befoer the Leyland take over.
He then joined princes in sales. his memory is not so good these days but he is happy. For two hours I drove the V8 once, what a flyer that was.
Trust you are well
Harvey

Thanks for your comments Harvey !

gingerfold:

"gingerfold, spill the beans on Ron Hennesseys tankers then ■■ Bit of a lad was he ! :laughing: :wink:

coomsey:

gingerfold:

I had R reg Octopus 500engine boss mammoth major M reg could keep up with him but no chance of getting by. Don’t think they put a spanner on her,Mine never out the garage it seemed

Cheers coomsey for your input ! :smiley:

Seddon Atkinson & ERF.

A00182.JPG

Plain MAN tanker.

A00184.JPG

Tilcon Foden with a AEC behind which may be Hoveringham ■■

A00185.JPG

F88

A00187.JPG

DAF

A00188.JPG

ERF. Thinks that Kings Heavy Haulage from Bristol ? Whats the car ? Marina ■■

A00189.JPG

French Saviem

A00191.JPG

Tidy Atkinson.

A00192.JPG

ERF

A00193.JPG

Leyland

A00177.JPG

Some old adverts.(Click on pages twice to read)

Anyone know where this is ? At a guess i would say possibly Richard Read’s ERF dealership ?

AT13.JPG

Transcontinental

AT18.JPG

DAF

AT19.JPG

Saviem or Man ?

AT20.JPG

Foden

AT24.JPG

Leyland & ERF

AT21.JPG

Spanish dodge

AT22.JPG

Scania

AT23.JPG

Spanish dodge

AT25.JPG

Foden

AT26.JPG

DEANB:
Anyone know where this is ? At a guess i would say possibly Richard Read’s ERF dealership ?

Transcontinental

DAF

Saviem or Man ?

Foden

Leyland & ERF

Spanish dodge

Scania

Spanish dodge

Foden

That Scania has a nice looking non spec sleeper Dean!

David

C.M.Downton have come a long way since that old Atki, Buzzer.

Buzzer:

And if ever there was “a Lemon” of a motor it was those poxy Spanish Dodges ! Cheers Bewick.

Hiya,What a great selection of pictures from Paul,we are so lucky to enjoy these shots from the past …some shots are like looking through the windscreen and seeing stuff passing the other way,a real trip down memory lane.Well done to Dean and a big thanks to Paul for sharing his collection…long may it continue :smiley: .Cheers Bubbs :wink:

bubbleman:
Hiya,What a great selection of pictures from Paul,we are so lucky to enjoy these shots from the past …some shots are like looking through the windscreen and seeing stuff passing the other way,a real trip down memory lane.Well done to Dean and a big thanks to Paul for sharing his collection…long may it continue :smiley: .Cheers Bubbs :wink:

Bubb’s you are so right there, definitely a Mary Hopkins moment that reminds me of when I was a young man starting out in truck driving and so many of these pictures are of companies I remember running alongside, eating with lots of the drivers in what then were numerous transport cafe’s along the routes we plied. Been in it nearly all my life and it has changed a lot over the years. It is so gratifying that Paul Gee had the fore site to amass this wonderful collection of pictures and let DeanB post them for us all. Why did we not do the same I ask myself but most of us were to busy and just took a few shots of what we were directly involved with and of course today you can take excellent pictures with your mobile phone which most of us carry today, so thanks indeed for this thread a must view every day for me and many others, just waiting to see if a shot of a truck I drove in the past should one day appear on here and I bet I am not the only one waiting for that to happen, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:

bubbleman:

Bubb’s you are so right there, definitely a Mary Hopkins moment that reminds me of when I was a young man starting out in truck driving and so many of these pictures are of companies I remember running alongside, eating with lots of the drivers in what then were numerous transport cafe’s along the routes we plied. Been in it nearly all my life and it has changed a lot over the years. It is so gratifying that Paul Gee had the fore site to amass this wonderful collection of pictures and let DeanB post them for us all. Why did we not do the same I ask myself but most of us were to busy and just took a few shots of what we were directly involved with and of course today you can take excellent pictures with your mobile phone which most of us carry today, so thanks indeed for this thread a must view every day for me and many others, just waiting to see if a shot of a truck I drove in the past should one day appear on here and I bet I am not the only one waiting for that to happen, cheers Buzzer.

Hear hear to that Buzzer Paul got one of mine brill so you may well be lucky

Just had to repost this pic… I hope Paul doesn’t mind. When I saw it this morning, my eyes were out on stalks! :smiley: It wouldn’t have been every day that a Hoveringham Mammoth Major loaded with Tarmac would’ve been chasing down an equally loaded Tilcon S80. If Paul sees this, can I ask where it was taken as my first thoughts were the AEC was based at Dene quarry Cromford Derbyshire while the Foden was from Ballidon quarry which is in the same area.

Of course I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely… But it’s a great thought and an even better photograph! :smiley: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

A00185.JPG

Aye, that’s King’s from Bristol…no idea about the car though…cracking pic though :wink:

A00189.JPG

Is the motor a Vauxhall Viva? Sure looks like it to me. :slight_smile:

Seddon Atkinson & ERF.

Plain MAN tanker.

F88

DAF

French Saviem

Tidy Atkinson.

ERF

Leyland

[/quote]
I think the plain MAN tanker was PL Transtore from Birkenhead

Day cab ERF,with huge gap between rear of cab and trailer.

WOW!! Haven’t ever seen another photo of this old girl… I have one

PTC 392S new in August 1977 to Andrews of Marshfield. Rolls 265, Fuller 9 speed and Kirkstall rear axle. Looks to be fresh out of the box so would have been driven by Roger Ashley at the time… dragging a 1969 Hoyner tipper, hence the large gap. Crap cheap trailers, so they had lots of them! :smiley: From memory, they had 10.00 x 20 tyres on the front axle and 9.00 x 20 on the rear because they kept scuffing the front axle out every time you braked… :open_mouth:

My most favourite lorry ever, with an engine note to die for, especially when she was pulling hard. Unfortunately she’s long gone now but it’s great to see another photo of her.

Dean and Paul - Thank you so much :smiley:

5thwheel:

DEANB:

A00190.JPG

Transcontinental

A00194.JPG

DAF

A00195.JPG

Saviem or Man ?

A00196.JPG

Foden

A00201.JPG

Leyland & ERF

A00197.JPG

Spanish dodge

A00198.JPG

Scania

A00199.JPG

Spanish dodge

A00202.JPG

Foden

A00203.JPG

That Scania has a nice looking non spec sleeper Dean!

David

Well spotted Dave, i missed that something as been done to that cab ! :wink:

Buzzer:

Yes they are one of the biggest hauliers in the UK now i believe ! :wink:

Bewick:

Buzzer:

And if ever there was “a Lemon” of a motor it was those poxy Spanish Dodges ! Cheers Bewick.

Dennis, out of intrest in what way ? I appreciate the cab was small but was it worse than a Borderer ? I think
they had a 300 bhp engine (will check that) so would have been a powerful motor in there day ! :unamused:

bubbleman:

Thanks Bubbs thats praise indeed ! I will explain to Paul about your great thread,he will appreciate that ! :laughing:

Buzzer:

bubbleman:

Thanks Buzzer ,Paul will be chuffed he thinks we are all mad !! But he was worried that he would die and
no one would ever see his collection ! I will be gob smacked if there is not a pic of one of your old motors eventually ! :wink:

coomsey:

Buzzer:

bubbleman:

Hear hear to that Buzzer Paul got one of mine brill so you may well be lucky

Thanks for your input again coomsey ! :laughing:

BonkeyDollocks:
Just had to repost this pic… I hope Paul doesn’t mind. When I saw it this morning, my eyes were out on stalks! :smiley: It wouldn’t have been every day that a Hoveringham Mammoth Major loaded with Tarmac would’ve been chasing down an equally loaded Tilcon S80. If Paul sees this, can I ask where it was taken as my first thoughts were the AEC was based at Dene quarry Cromford Derbyshire while the Foden was from Ballidon quarry which is in the same area.

Of course I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely… But it’s a great thought and an even better photograph! :smiley: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Glad you are enjoying it BD ! :smiley:

pv83:
Aye, that’s King’s from Bristol…no idea about the car though…cracking pic though :wink:

Thanks for confirming Patrick ! Heres one closer ! :wink:

A00190.JPG

BonkeyDollocks:
Is the motor a Vauxhall Viva? Sure looks like it to me. :slight_smile:

Could be BD ,not sure chap ! :wink:

stevecook:
Seddon Atkinson & ERF.

A00194.JPG

Plain MAN tanker.

A00195.JPG

A00196.JPG

F88

A00197.JPG

DAF

A00198.JPG

A00199.JPG

French Saviem

A00201.JPG

Tidy Atkinson.

A00202.JPG

ERF

A00203.JPG

Leyland

A00190.JPG

I think the plain MAN tanker was PL Transtore from Birkenhead
[/quote]
Thanks for the details on the tanker Steve ! :sunglasses:

Piston broke:
Day cab ERF,with huge gap between rear of cab and trailer.

A00202.JPG

WOW!! Haven’t ever seen another photo of this old girl… I have one

PTC 392S new in August 1977 to Andrews of Marshfield. Rolls 265, Fuller 9 speed and Kirkstall rear axle. Looks to be fresh out of the box so would have been driven by Roger Ashley at the time… dragging a 1969 Hoyner tipper, hence the large gap. Crap cheap trailers, so they had lots of them! :smiley: From memory, they had 10.00 x 20 tyres on the front axle and 9.00 x 20 on the rear because they kept scuffing the front axle out every time you braked… :open_mouth:

My most favourite lorry ever, with an engine note to die for, especially when she was pulling hard. Unfortunately she’s long gone now but it’s great to see another photo of her.

Dean and Paul - Thank you so much :smiley:

Great ,nice when you see one of your old motors,keep looking there may be more you never know ! :wink:

Thanks to everyone for there input !!

Think its a Saviem

A00194.JPG

Marathon looks brand new !

A00195.JPG

Unigate ERF

A00196.JPG

Swains Scania

A00197.JPG

Short trailer on the Scania

A00198.JPG

The Crusader has a Leyland badge on it,had Scammell shut down ?

A00199.JPG

Bedford TM looks brand new !

A00201.JPG

ERF

A00202.JPG

ERF

A00203.JPG

BonkeyDollocks:

Well if the Foden WAS from Ballidon it would be PNU 70M which was the only S80 with a 220 Rolls engine we had and, judging by the single inlet stack, it is a Rolls engine. This was involved in a bad accident with a low lowder carrying a portaloo and the cab was rebuilt which might explain the missing Foden Kite on the grille? The Late Curtis ‘Bert’ Weston from Brassington drove it from new and did regular Scotch runs in it, always booking a night out but actually nighting out at his house in Brassington and coming in around 10 am telling us what fun he had in Morecambe the night before!! Nobody ever let on that they knew the truth. :wink: I rebuilt the engine in it and it was a decent truck.

Pete.