PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:
Some period adverts.

Hmmm… except Harry Parky’s Atki isn’t a Borderer!

I guess the advert dates from before the time when Frank Whalley was in charge of these things, rather than a Seddon predecessor

BonkeyDollocks:
Indeed Coomsey lad, I was told once it was a one off to celebrate the silver jubilee of '77. It’s a superb photo.

And to Dean - I know a chap that is compiling a book on Tarmac’s history and would love to include the pic in his book. Full copyright details will be included and Paul will be mentioned in the acknowledgements.

Think your right B D its in the old Cliffe colour.Dean/Paul pic must be early in her life, when I had her she had wooden greedy boards don’t know why though cos don’t recall any of the khaki ones having em

Hope you don’t mind me putting pic on but thought with Murphy’s tippers winning the head count another would be interesting (not my pic)

Lorry driver of the year contest, do they still do that today ? just wondered but if they do the judges would have to be multi lingual eh, Buzzer.

Fantastic thread.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

This thread is an absolute treasure trove of shots from yesteryear and is the equivalent of the “Great Bubbleman’s” thread that kept us all eagerly awaiting his next batch of shots from years previously. Anyway well done Paul and Deano ! Regards Dennis.

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Some period adverts.

A00170.JPG

A00171.JPG

I guess the advert dates from before the time when Frank Whalley was in charge of these things, rather than a Seddon predecessor

From memory that advert came out of a commercial motor mag from the 70s. I downloaded it a few years ago ! :open_mouth:

coomsey:
A00171.JPGHope you don’t mind me putting pic on but thought with Murphy’s tippers winning the head count another would be interesting (not my pic)

Thanks again coomsey for your input. Nice pic ! :wink:

Buzzer:
Lorry driver of the year contest, do they still do that today ? just wondered but if they do the judges would have to be multi lingual eh, Buzzer.

I dont think they do “driver of the year” anymore i cant recall reading about it for years ? Reckon you
are right about the judges !! :smiley: :laughing:

newmercman:
Fantastic thread.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Bewick:
This thread is an absolute treasure trove of shots from yesteryear and is the equivalent of the “Great Bubbleman’s” thread that kept us all eagerly awaiting his next batch of shots from years previously. Anyway well done Paul and Deano ! Regards Dennis.

Appreciate the comments Dennis, Paul will be chuffed so many people are enjoying the memories ! Hopefully alot more to come ! :wink:

A quick question to you all. Who were the largest fleets back in the 1970s ■■? I can remember BRS , Pickford’s must have been pretty big and the other company that seemed to be huge was Christian Salverson.
Who else ■■?

I used to know all the different types but without looking it up what type of Leyland is this one ?

A00175.JPG

Tidy ERF

A00163.JPG

Mercedes

A00164.JPG

ERF. The tipper trailer sides seem very low on that ? What would that be for tarmac ■■?

A00165.JPG

Leyland or AEC

A00166.JPG

Some Volvo “■■■■”

A00167.JPG

Tidy ERF

A00168.JPG

ERF tanker.

A00169.JPG

Foden. I think these particular Fodens have so much character about them.

A00170.JPG

ERF

A00171.JPG

BRS Leyland, is it a buffalo…

AS21.JPG

Geest Foden

AS22.JPG

Rugby cement ERF

AS24.JPG

F86 bulker.

AS25.JPG

Leyland buffalo ?

AS26.JPG

Marathon same company as above.

AS27.JPG

Mercedes day cab.

AS28.JPG

ERF

AS29.JPG

Scania

AS30.JPG

Seddon Atkins look tidy.

AS31.JPG

A few period adverts of the time.

Great photos again Dean , I think the Leyland is an Octopus and the one further down is an Aec Mammoth Major . Keep up the great work

DEANB:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Some period adverts.

From memory that advert came out of a commercial motor mag from the 70s. I downloaded it a few years ago ! :open_mouth:

coomsey:
0Hope you don’t mind me putting pic on but thought with Murphy’s tippers winning the head count another would be interesting (not my pic)

Thanks again coomsey for your input. Nice pic ! :wink:

Buzzer:

I dont think they do “driver of the year” anymore i cant recall reading about it for years ? Reckon you are right
about the judges !! :smiley: :laughing:

newmercman:
Fantastic thread.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Bewick:

Appreciate the comments Dennis, Paul will be chuffed so many people are enjoying the memories ! Hopefully alot
more to come ! :wink:

A quick question to you all. Who were the largest fleets back in the 1970s ■■? I can remember BRS , Pickford’s must
have been pretty big and the other company that seemed to be huge was Christian Salverson. Who else ■■?

I used to know all the different types but without looking it up what type of Leyland is this one ?

Mercedes

ERF. The tipper trailer sides seem very low on that ? What would that be for tarmac ■■?

Leyland or AEC

Some Volvo “■■■■”

Tidy ERF

ERF tanker.

Foden. I think these particular Fodens have so much character about them.

ERF

Mk 2 octopus Dean, I had R reg from new.Leyland engine 9sp fuller would leave Gardner for dead. Good drivers motor bad gaffers motor

ramone:
Great photos again Dean , I think the Leyland is an Octopus and the one further down is an Aec Mammoth Major . Keep up the great work

Hi ramone,
The Octopus, so light drivers checks included tightening up chassis bolts… ha !! put me right on the AEC, what was the Marshall Major, ■■ Harvey

Hi Dean,

Many thanks to you and Paul for all the photo’s,great to see them all out working and earning,as already mentioned not many of us carried a camera in those days,and also couldn’t afford the developing and printing costs on £20 a week !

Regards
Richard

HRS:

ramone:

Hi ramone,
The Octopus, so light drivers checks included tightening up chassis bolts… ha !! put me right on the AEC, what was the Marshall Major, ■■ Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Hope you are keeping well, the Marshall Major from memory had the AV760 engine,and was available as a 6x2/6x4/8x2/8x4 Rigid,it had a bit more power than my old Marshall 6x4 with the AV505 I had on round timber down Dean’s part of the world.

Regards
Richard

ramone:

Thanks for the reply,Paul will be pleased ! :smiley:

Thanks for your input again coomsey. :wink:

HRS:

ramone:

Hi ramone,

Cheers Harvey, Tightening up chassis bolts… :open_mouth:

MaggieD:
Hi Dean,

Many thanks to you and Paul for all the photo’s,great to see them all out working and earning,as already mentioned not many of us carried a camera in those days,and also couldn’t afford the developing and printing costs on £20 a week !

Regards
Richard

Indeed Richard he had to stop for a period himself due to the costs !

MaggieD:

HRS:

ramone:

Hi ramone,

Hi Harvey,

Hope you are keeping well, the Marshall Major from memory had the AV760 engine,and was available as a 6x2/6x4/8x2/8x4 Rigid,it had a bit more power than my old Marshall 6x4 with the AV505 I had on round timber down Dean’s part of the world.

Regards
Richard

Thanks for the info. :wink:

Tidy 89.

A00186.JPG

DAF

A00172.JPG

ERF

A00173.JPG

DAF

A00174.JPG

Leyland

A00175.JPG

Atkinson

A00176.JPG

ERF

A00178.JPG

F89 heavy haulier

A00179.JPG

F88

A00180.JPG

ERF

A00181.JPG

Great shots again that David Morris ERF 8 tipper rings a few bells ,think ROF ,will be able to fill us in on that one ! regards Keith .

Dennis would like the way thats been sheeted ! :wink:

AS32.JPG

Scania

AS34.JPG

Foden

AS35.JPG

Scania

AS36.JPG

Scammell trunker i think ■■

AT01.JPG

Marathon

AT02.JPG

Guy

AT04.JPG

F88

asg.jpg

Foden

AT06.JPG

Day cab TM Bedford.

AT07.JPG

BonkeyDollocks:
Indeed Coomsey lad, I was told once it was a one off to celebrate the silver jubilee of '77. It’s a superb photo.

And to Dean - I know a chap that is compiling a book on Tarmac’s history and would love to include the pic in his book. Full copyright details will be included and Paul will be mentioned in the acknowledgements.

Hello chap, Paul has contacted me today and says thats fine he can use the photo. If you PM me your email address i will send it over once Paul has sent me the full scale scan of it. He did mention something about
50% of the profits of the book !! :smiley: :laughing: :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink:

DEANB:

ramone:

Thanks for the reply,Paul will be pleased ! :smiley:

Thanks for your input again coomsey. :wink:

HRS:

ramone:

Hi ramone,

Cheers Harvey, Tightening up chassis bolts… :open_mouth:

MaggieD:
Hi Dean,

Regards
Richard

Indeed Richard he had to stop for a period himself due to the costs !

MaggieD:

HRS:

ramone:

Hi ramone,

Hi Harvey,

Regards
Richard

Thanks for the info. :wink:

Tidy 89.

What a turn up, one of Ron Hennessey’s tankers. I was speaking to him only recently and he will be chuffed that there are photos out there of some of his fleet. I dare not put his “history” on here, suffice it to say he was one of the industry’s characters.

DAF

ERF

DAF

Leyland

Atkinson

ERF

F89 heavy haulier

F88

ERF

kingswinford kit:
Great shots again that David Morris ERF 8 tipper rings a few bells ,think ROF ,will be able to fill us in on that one ! regards Keith .

When I saw the pic of the Morris ERF it rang a few bells, Keith, but although I recognised the 8-wheeler, I just couldn’t get the lonely memory cell to proceed with any further details. The lorry I remember, the name I also remember but I’m afraid we will have to rely on someone with a better memory to provide more information. It may have helped if the address had been a little clearer- my calor gas-powered PC doesn’t do the technology for that!
Anyone help?