PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

pete 359:

Bewick:

jshepguis:
Great seeing the two Arthur Sanderson Borderers, father and uncles drove for them. Driver of GAJ 633N was Richard Wilson, this lorry was used as a tramper and wasn’t on changeover or trunking duties along with GHN 535N which may be the other borderer behind in photo. Sandersons had a depot in Newport so most of the work was between the north east and south wales, steel especially. Is this road the Monmouth road?
Dennis as far as i can remember Sandersons fleet was pretty standardised in that Gardner 180 david brown 6 speed. The last one of which my uncle drove DPY 565L had the later axle as it was about 10mph faster than the others! They then bought 3 Gardner 240 and 4 off 220 ■■■■■■■ all with 9 speed Fullers on M plates then GAJ and GHN were last Borderers bought with same spec, as far as i can recall, before they bought their first 400 series, which was also the first sleeper cab on the fleet.
Once again these photos are like a time capsule and once again thank you DeanB and Paul for putting these out.

Thanks for the info, the Borderers sure were my favourite motor ! though the Sed /Atks never replaced to the same degree as far as I was concerned, and also from the personal experience of operating them ! Many Thanks Dennis.

hi dennis,
i recall sanderson very well.they ran a changeover with protheroe transport from port talbot.the changeover point was litchfield,many years later,during the 1990’s,i can also recall sanderson’s yard on corporation road newport,later became a part of the durham group,i think?

regards andrew.

Hi Andrew.
Yes remember Sandersons yard at Newport, was highlight of my school holidays going with my dad on night trunk to Newport, digs during day then back next night. He started that around 1967 at its peak about 6 motors a night , and local drivers tipping and loading during the day. He then went on to do the Lichfield changeover with as you rightly say, with S Protheroe would be around 73/74 remember the reg BPY 958L borderer 180 Gardner.
Sandersons then started doing a West Bromwich changeover with 3 240 Gardner Atkis, they were well worked .Vehicles would set off from North east at six hour intervals and drivers would just swop over complete vehicle on motorway junction . Newport driver did 2 newport west brom trips per shift.
This operation stopped when drivers hours were reduced and was not possible to do in time. It was around that time that vehicles were actually based in Newport as by this time Durhams fully owned Sandersons. There was also a changeover at Derby usually at FB Atkins using just own vehicles all them being ■■■■■■■ powered, until the 400 series came in and they went back to Gardner power. Hope to see a Protheroe vehicle on here.

jshepguis:

pete 359:

Bewick:

jshepguis:
Great seeing the two Arthur Sanderson Borderers, father and uncles drove for them. Driver of GAJ 633N was Richard Wilson, this lorry was used as a tramper and wasn’t on changeover or trunking duties along with GHN 535N which may be the other borderer behind in photo. Sandersons had a depot in Newport so most of the work was between the north east and south wales, steel especially. Is this road the Monmouth road?
Dennis as far as i can remember Sandersons fleet was pretty standardised in that Gardner 180 david brown 6 speed. The last one of which my uncle drove DPY 565L had the later axle as it was about 10mph faster than the others! They then bought 3 Gardner 240 and 4 off 220 ■■■■■■■ all with 9 speed Fullers on M plates then GAJ and GHN were last Borderers bought with same spec, as far as i can recall, before they bought their first 400 series, which was also the first sleeper cab on the fleet.
Once again these photos are like a time capsule and once again thank you DeanB and Paul for putting these out.

Thanks for the info, the Borderers sure were my favourite motor ! though the Sed /Atks never replaced to the same degree as far as I was concerned, and also from the personal experience of operating them ! Many Thanks Dennis.

hi dennis,
i recall sanderson very well.they ran a changeover with protheroe transport from port talbot.the changeover point was litchfield,many years later,during the 1990’s,i can also recall sanderson’s yard on corporation road newport,later became a part of the durham group,i think?

regards andrew.

Hi Andrew.
Yes remember Sandersons yard at Newport, was highlight of my school holidays going with my dad on night trunk to Newport, digs during day then back next night. He started that around 1967 at its peak about 6 motors a night , and local drivers tipping and loading during the day. He then went on to do the Lichfield changeover with as you rightly say, with S Protheroe would be around 73/74 remember the reg BPY 958L borderer 180 Gardner.
Sandersons then started doing a West Bromwich changeover with 3 240 Gardner Atkis, they were well worked .Vehicles would set off from North east at six hour intervals and drivers would just swop over complete vehicle on motorway junction . Newport driver did 2 newport west brom trips per shift.
This operation stopped when drivers hours were reduced and was not possible to do in time. It was around that time that vehicles were actually based in Newport as by this time Durhams fully owned Sandersons. There was also a changeover at Derby usually at FB Atkins using just own vehicles all them being ■■■■■■■ powered, until the 400 series came in and they went back to Gardner power. Hope to see a Protheroe vehicle on here.

hi,
thanks for the information,as a kid in the mid 1970’s i went on many trips to litchfield in protheroe F86’s and Atki’s.several friends of our family drove for protheroe.you have achieved in just a few pages what we have failed to achieve in 637 pages on our south wales thread,namely a photo of an ARGOSY Transport lorry.they were from pyle in south wales and were owned by Dai Raymond.congratulations and please keep these fantastic photos rolling.
regards andrew.

AQ01.JPG

This is great material.Thanks to those concerned. With a large G&T on the go,after ,viewing these posts are a happy reminder of past vehicles and semi deserted roads

This is great material.Thanks to those concerned. With a large G&T on the go,viewing these posts are a happy reminder of past vehicles and semi deserted roads

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Atkinson heavy haulier of Wynns

Still with us, fortunately:

HBO 753N Atkinson Venturer T7566C by 240 Gardner, on Flickr
Atki Venturer HBO 753N by Gyles Carpenter, on Flickr

Thanks for the pics “240 Gardner”, nice to see its been saved. :slight_smile:

bubbleman:
Hiya,What fantastic photos again…There was this one in todays section that I had a go at years later when a few miles were under her belt,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Cheers Bubbs ,thanks for the pics mate. The ERF does looks a bit tired in that pic. Also the Atkinson
must have done some graft by the time ■■■■ Pountain aquired it ! :smiley:

jshepguis:
Mercedes Benz of Carlisle Brothers from Middlesbrough Cleveland a company i had completely forgotten about always smart red liveried vehicles IIRC.
And the side shot of the Guy Big J alas doesn’t look as if there are a couple of pots sticking out the back, but could this treasure trove of pictures come up with one ,that would please Dennis!

Thanks again for your input “Jshepguis” dont worry i am keeping an eye out for a Big J ! :wink:

Bewick:

jshepguis:
Mercedes Benz of Carlisle Brothers from Middlesbrough Cleveland a company i had completely forgotten about always smart red liveried vehicles IIRC.
And the side shot of the Guy Big J alas doesn’t look as if there are a couple of pots sticking out the back, but could this treasure trove of pictures come up with one ,that would please Dennis!

Spoil Sport ! :blush: :blush: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, Alot of sheeted loads in these pics. When did the curtain siders appear, 1980s ■■? Saved alot of graft
and time,must have been good for you at the time :question: :smiley:

Retired Old ■■■■:
That Big J driver was spoiled- a proper engine AND a sleeper cab! Whatever next?

ROF, was that a factory spec sleeper or someone like Jennings doing a conversion ■■ :slight_smile:

Stanfield:
This happened last year. Apparently they are still going to run under the Bassett name.
S J Bargh Group Ltd has announced that it has bought Tittensor-based Bassetts – which employs 100 people in Stoke-on-Trent – for an undisclosed sum.

A00231.JPG

Thanks for the info “Stanfield”, Bassett’s seemed to have been around for ever ! :wink:

rward:
Right a bit off info the catnic Sedon Atkins belonged to f c brooks driven by Dennis williams rip for a short while then Bryn the animal hooper had it for years rip he lived in it. Then it went to leepaul transport… Then the orange Transcon twc 227r was driven by Keith lap pit in the pic then my brother had it for a couple of years wat a brilliant set of photos Paul gees please keep them coming regards rowly ward

Thanks Rowly for the info. You have to laugh at some of the nicknames people end up with
"Bryn the animal hooper " classic ! :smiley:

jshepguis:

pete 359:

Bewick:

jshepguis:

hi dennis,

regards andrew.

Hi Andrew.

Thanks again “jshepguis” ! :wink:

hi dennis,

regards andrew.
[/quote]
Hi Andrew.
[/quote]
hi,
thanks for the information,as a kid in the mid 1970’s i went on many trips to litchfield in protheroe F86’s and Atki’s.several friends of our family drove for protheroe.you have achieved in just a few pages what we have failed to achieve in 637 pages on our south wales thread,namely a photo of an ARGOSY Transport lorry.they were from pyle in south wales and were owned by Dai Raymond.congratulations and please keep these fantastic photos rolling.
regards andrew.
[/quote]
Good news then Andrew, pop the pic on that thread if you want to, Paul wont mind. :smiley:

brandsbybank:
This is great material.Thanks to those concerned. With a large G&T on the go,after ,viewing these posts are a happy reminder of past vehicles and semi deserted roads

Thanks “brandsbybank” Glad you are enjoying the photos ,sounds like you are enjoying your large G&T’s a
bit too much as well mate,as you posted that message twice !!! :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

A different Geest Foden to the one posted yesterday.

A00215.JPG

Old Scania looks heavy.

A00223.JPG

Guy Big J

A00224.JPG

Volvo 86 looks like its had some fresh paint.

A00225.JPG

Atkinson

A00226.JPG

ERF food tanker.

A00227.JPG

AEC.

A00228.JPG

Atkinson

A00229.JPG

Mercedes

A00230.JPG

Foden

A00231.JPG

Coop ERF

AU23.JPG

Foden.

AU24.JPG

ERF heavy haulier,with inspection panel left open.

AU25.JPG

AU26.JPG

Whats the proper name for that trailer with the 4 wheels across the back ,cant remember ■■

AU27.JPG

Makes you glad to be alive when you see a pic like this… :laughing:

AU28.JPG

Mc Alpine heavy haulier Foden with similar trailer to ■■■■’s.

AU29.JPG

Scania

AU30.JPG

F86 looks like its got a proper load on !

AU31.JPG

Scania and concrete beams/lintals…1 chain on each stack!!!
How times change,wouldn’t happen to day?

4 wheels across the rear of tr…I knew it as.……4 inline?

Great photos of how the job was done back in the day ,and of what we had to work with!!!

Hi, Dean. With regard to the sleeper on the Big J- Guy offered the sleeper as an option and there was one displayed at one of the Commercial Vehicle Shows at the time. However, I don’t know if they were actually built at Fallings Park or if the conversion was carried out by an outside firm. Our pal Saviem (RIP) could have provided the answer in a flash, but I expect someone else more knowledgeable than I will come to the rescue.
Regarding the loaded F86, knowing the operator it wouldn’t stretch the imagination too much to surmise that he was possibly carrying what had left the steelworks on two four-wheelers!
And yes, it was a four-in-line. Good for payload but absolute cr*p to drive. Especially if you got a flat on one of the inner tyres!

Hi DEAN , love the early SeddAtks of Glyn John , especially coupled to the Leiner bulk tanker ,they were based at Treforest they crushed bones amongst other things . Did Paul do you know take shots on the Brecon beacons ,seen pics taken in that area similar to his style ? regards Keith .

A00216.JPG
Not 100% on this but recall an O D had a motor like this, brickyard near Wakefield (religious type name). Think he had 6whlr before, I asked him how he was getting on with it he said great as long as he kept going forwards. Lol

trunker08:
Scania and concrete beams/lintals…1 chain on each stack!!!
How times change,wouldn’t happen to day?

4 wheels across the rear of tr…I knew it as.……4 inline?

Great photos of how the job was done back in the day ,and of what we had to work with!!!

Thats it “trunker08” i couldnt remember the name of those trailers ! :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Hi, Dean. With regard to the sleeper on the Big J- Guy offered the sleeper as an option and there was one displayed at one of the Commercial Vehicle Shows at the time. However, I don’t know if they were actually built at Fallings Park or if the conversion was carried out by an outside firm. Our pal Saviem (RIP) could have provided the answer in a flash, but I expect someone else more knowledgeable than I will come to the rescue.
Regarding the loaded F86, knowing the operator it wouldn’t stretch the imagination too much to surmise that he was possibly carrying what had left the steelworks on two four-wheelers!
And yes, it was a four-in-line. Good for payload but absolute cr*p to drive. Especially if you got a flat on one of the inner tyres!

Thanks for the reply “ROF” ,i am sure Dennis or someone will know about the Guy sleeper ■■ That 86 did look like it might be a tad heavy ! :unamused: :wink:

kingswinford kit:
Hi DEAN , love the early SeddAtks of Glyn John , especially coupled to the Leiner bulk tanker ,they were based at Treforest they crushed bones amongst other things . Did Paul do you know take shots on the Brecon beacons ,seen pics taken in that area similar to his style ? regards Keith .

Thanks Keith for your comment. I am not sure about the Brecon Beacons i will ask him. The other photos must have been someones elses as Paul has only posted about 6 photos on line before we started this thread. :smiley:

Scania

AU32.JPG

Seddon Atkinson

AU33.JPG

Foden tanker

AU34.JPG

Now thats a close coupled trailer for back in the 70’s.

AU35.JPG

Alot of tankers about today. ERF

AU36.JPG

AEC tanker ! Looks like its one from an airport for refueling planes.

AU340103.JPG

F88, used to see wood across the trailer landing legs quite often back then.

AU340104.JPG

MAN

AU340105.JPG

Thats an early model F86.

AV010103.JPG

Seddon.

AV010104.JPG

Some period adverts ! (Click on pages once or twice to read.)

Watch out the Swedes have arrived !

DAF 2800 ? Bedford TK in the distance ,whats the car ■■

AV010105.JPG

Scammell,think its a Handyman ■■

AV010106.JPG

Leyland, Unispeed on the headboard. Were they a hire company or part of Birds Eye ■■

AV010107.JPG

ERF

AV010108.JPG

I like the looks of these Fodens.

AV070109.JPG

Atkinson,looks like its got a problem at the back ? Looks seriously heavy on the back end or
maybe a spring or something gone ■■

AV070110.JPG

Lloyds of Ludlow.

AV070111.JPG

Suttons ERF

AV070112.JPG

Guy big J

AV070113.JPG

Irish Merc. Is that a Jag or Daimler ■■

AV070114.JPG

Smashing pics
Enjoyed them all especially the Derbyshire ones,Waters,Sellers and Kent,Steads. I was wondering how long before a W.H.P. arrived on the scene and sure enough one arrived. Pretty sure its one of the ex Hansons Atkis looking well tired. They had done a fair stint before Phillips got them and they sure carried on with the slog until the end. Good old servant but she looks well tired with possible spring trouble. Now where are those Dodges ? Thanks Mike.

Atkinson,looks like its got a problem at the back ? Looks seriously heavy on the back end or

DEANB:

Leyland, Unispeed on the headboard. Were they a hire company or part of Birds Eye ■■

ERF

Lloyds of Ludlow.

Suttons ERF

Guy big J

Cant wait for Bewicks comment on the sheeting “skills” of the Guy driver :neutral_face:

Suedehead:

DEANB:

ERF

Lloyds of Ludlow.

Suttons ERF

Guy big J

Cant wait for Bewicks comment on the sheeting “skills” of the Guy driver :neutral_face:

Well the photo says it all, Its Arse about ■■■, :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Regards Larry.

coomsey:
A00242.JPG
Not 100% on this but recall an O D had a motor like this, brickyard near Wakefield (religious type name). Think he had 6whlr before, I asked him how he was getting on with it he said great as long as he kept going forwards. Lol

Thanks again “coomsey” for your comments ! :wink:

thelongdrag:
Smashing pics
Enjoyed them all especially the Derbyshire ones,Waters,Sellers and Kent,Steads. I was wondering how long before a W.H.P. arrived on the scene and sure enough one arrived. Pretty sure its one of the ex Hansons Atkis looking well tired. They had done a fair stint before Phillips got them and they sure carried on with the slog until the end. Good old servant but she looks well tired with possible spring trouble. Now where are those Dodges ? Thanks Mike.

A00237.JPG

Thanks Mike for your input ! :smiley:

Suedehead:

DEANB:

A00232.JPG

A00234.JPG

A00235.JPG

ERF

A00236.JPG

A00238.JPG

A00237.JPG

Lloyds of Ludlow.

A00239.JPG

Suttons ERF

A00240.JPG

Guy big J

A00241.JPG

A00242.JPG

Thanks for your comments ! :unamused:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Suedehead:

DEANB:

A00232.JPG

A00234.JPG

A00235.JPG

ERF

A00236.JPG

A00238.JPG

A00237.JPG

Lloyds of Ludlow.

A00239.JPG

Suttons ERF

A00240.JPG

Guy big J

A00241.JPG

A00242.JPG

Well the photo says it all, Its Arse about ■■■, :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Regards Larry.

Thanks for your message Larry ! :laughing: :wink:

Volvo F88

A00232.JPG

Scania

A00234.JPG

DAF

A00235.JPG

Another 88

A00236.JPG

Scania

A00237.JPG

Crusader

A00238.JPG

GUY

A00239.JPG

ERF

A00240.JPG

ERF

A00241.JPG

Seddon Atkinson

A00242.JPG

Cracking set of pic’s once again!

About that low loader, 4 in line with a knock out axle…

Todays selection.

Scania

AV130115.JPG

Seddon tanker.

AV130116.JPG

Foden

AV130117.JPG

Volvo F86

AW010106.JPG

Crusader

AW010107.JPG

Seddon Atkinson 8 wheeler ,carrying spare wheel like all trucks did back then ! Dont see that now.
Also whats the artic overtaking ■■ Maybe Ford D series ■■?

AW010108.JPG

Scania.

AW010109.JPG

Leyland tipper.

AW010110.JPG

Foden

AW010111.JPG

DAF

AW070112.JPG

Lawrence Dunbar:

Suedehead:

DEANB:

ERF

Lloyds of Ludlow.

Suttons ERF

Guy big J

That Guy was painted canary yellow,owned by the Post Office,and powered by a Rolls engine.

Well done again DEAN,a very popular thread,reminding all old 'uns of the many varied transport companies there were during those times.

David