Pat Seales f88 for sale

greek:
wrong Grill on it for a N reg but nice looking hos anyway

Hiya …the truck was operated in Belgium before Comart run her from Stoke, Maybe she a little older than 1974.
Many years ago i was in smiths yard (Comart) and was told that the belgium 88,s was a bigger BHP then the uk spec motors.
That ,s just somthing i was told.
Even so at 35 years old its possible the wrong grill could have been fitted…but not in this case.
Thers a photo of a caddys motor on the scrapbook site it looks like a 290. but was the first 88 in the uk which is a G reg
someone must have just put a personal touch to her.
John

greek:

no its the right grill for a 1972 240 F88 pat got it out of a scrap yard in 1976 with a blown engine thats what he told me i remember it coming to morecembe as a kid :confused: :confused: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

yappie:

greek:

no its the right grill for a 1972 240 F88 pat got it out of a scrap yard in 1976 with a blown engine thats what he told me i remember it coming to morecembe as a kid :confused: :confused: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

From what I remember of Pat Seals he didn’t do bling, only carried the necessary stuff like tool boxes, tyre irons, crowbars and spare gearboxes :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

yappie:

greek:

From what I remember of Pat Seals he didn’t do bling, only carried the necessary stuff like tool boxes, tyre irons, crowbars and spare gearboxes :laughing:

hiya,
You mean a proper driver.
thanks harry long retired.

harry_gill:

Wheel Nut:

yappie:

greek:

hiya,
You mean a proper driver.
thanks harry long retired.

Most certainly that, and a nice chap to boot. I doubt he suffered fools but certainly didn’t mind helping a young buck!

Yep yappie it is right grill for a 72 but the reg on it is 75 & I had this 75

No Bling on this either wheelnut
Will have a look at mag I do one ortwo vintage shows myself with an old Mk1 transit but wouldnt mind a tractor unit or something ,its just having somewhere to keep them

Spot on Harry a real driver like u me and few others on here getting dirty and oily cold and wet then driving for 10 hrs or more is long gone now but thats progression such a shame take away the phone and the Lap Top 80% of the Drivers now would not know what to do,how many can change a wheel ,tie a dolly knott ,change the diesel filters,adjust the brakes ,in fact some cant even fit a light bulb the list is endless so sad these basic skills should be part of the modern driving test

Roger Haywood

sinbin31:
Spot on Harry a real driver like u me and few others on here getting dirty and oily cold and wet then driving for 10 hrs or more is long gone now but thats progression such a shame take away the phone and the Lap Top 80% of the Drivers now would not know what to do,how many can change a wheel ,tie a dolly knott ,change the diesel filters,adjust the brakes ,in fact some cant even fit a light bulb the list is endless so sad these basic skills should be part of the modern driving test

Roger Haywood

So so true, the old days always seemed to be better ( or is it just that we all have selective memories ) It is a shame that many of the younger drivers havnt learnt how to do a double harvest knot (used to pride myself in being able to play a tune with the ropes) put on a dog and chain, or to sheet a proper load. I was driving a fully auto MAN TGA the other night and very nice truck as it is, I found myself longing for an old 88 with a 16 speeder, I must be getting a bit senile but I find myself flicking the dash looking for a split gear ■■?
regards Andrew.

andrew brick:

sinbin31:

Roger Haywood

So so true, the old days always seemed to be better ( or is it just that we all have selective memories ) It is a shame that many of the younger drivers havnt learnt how to do a double harvest knot (used to pride myself in being able to play a tune with the ropes) put on a dog and chain, or to sheet a proper load. I was driving a fully auto MAN TGA the other night and very nice truck as it is, I found myself longing for an old 88 with a 16 speeder, I must be getting a bit senile but I find myself flicking the dash looking for a split gear ■■?
regards Andrew.

you and adrian not doin the tours anymore Mr Brick? :wink:

maverick72:

andrew brick:

sinbin31:

Roger Haywood

regards Andrew.

you and adrian not doin the tours anymore Mr Brick? :wink:

Hi Maverick, Ade is still working on the music, working for an owner operator with a coach, I am still finding my feet after a spinal op last year, im back to work after 14 months off, THANK GOD, as a fuel salesman ( was grounded from driving for a while) but latley helping out on a artic for a local customer. I would love to get out and do some more toures, missing the contental something wicked, the back is almost there and hopefully if the opportunity arrises then it will happen, never say never. Best regards Andrew.

sinbin31:

Roger Haywood

I totally agree with you… the days of drivers being drivers have gone… i was watching that programme on stobarts… and felt really embarrassed at what i was seeing… one driver was worried about driving another truck because it had an empty tank behind it and he was used to a curtainsider … fancy going into the office twenty years ago and saying sorry boss i cannot take that load because it has sheets and ropes on it … you would not be in that office long …The days of drivers calling themself professional has long gone … God help us all

cockney:

sinbin31:

Roger Haywood

I totally agree with you… the days of drivers being drivers have gone… i was watching that programme on stobarts… and felt really embarrassed at what i was seeing… one driver was worried about driving another truck because it had an empty tank behind it and he was used to a curtainsider … fancy going into the office twenty years ago and saying sorry boss i cannot take that load because it has sheets and ropes on it … you would not be in that office long …The days of drivers calling themself professional has long gone … God help us all

Hiya… I think you,ll find out in the 70,s there was a few blue eyed boys who would squrm out of a load of hanball and pinch another drivers
easy load.I was on a tipping job running Stoke to Barnstable with a short trailer(23ft) and a new 32ft wilcox was coming for me. this driver
did all he could to get my work and he did…it was a real laugh because with the long trailer he had to keep giving way to other vehicles to
cross the white line where with the short trailer i could stay on my own side. it took him hours longer than me to do the same job he…he
John

Hiya …sorry just slipped off the thread with the last entry…back on line now.I,ve just been through the Comart site and it has
HFA 135 N 136N and 138N but its a pitty 137N is,nt there all the trucks was LHD and had trilex wheels 2 had big sun visors
and one had a 290 grill.
john

davemackie:
Just for you Harry, this was taken in Romania.

dave.

Hi Folks,
Just read good writeup in Decembers Heritage Commercials about it and Pats history.

Cheers Malc

Hiya…Its such a pitty all this is going on now and the man can,nt join in and tell us a tale or two.
The chap who has the volvo now said all of Pats passports are intact and stamped up to prove all the
trips he,s done…thats a story alone in my book…I suppose theres many more lads the same
its just the truck has brought out the man and his travels…RIP Pat.
John

There were a lot of trucks that could tell a tale or two if they were still around.Unfortunately,time and tinworm have probably claimed most of them.
True,many people have built replicas that are a good example of how things used to be,but there’s something missing.
It would be nice to think an old motor of mine had survived,but there’s little chance,I only have the fantastic model faithfully reproducing my old 290 built by Tony Christie.
The last time I saw Pat,he was in Baghdad customs with a few guys and a mate of mine,Jimmy McPhail,sitting round a burning tyre.
Jimmy was stranded,but Pat said,“Don’t worry,we’ll get you home”.Priceless!
How many guys would do that for you today?.

sinbin31:
Hope this Truck goes to a good home I Knew Pat very well did many Trips with him ,had to follow as his old Volvo was a bit slow up the hills ,he is sadly missed ,this is another Truck with a great history and if it could speak would tell a few stories good luck to the New owner.

Roger Haywood

i do hope the new owner appreciates the trucks history & preserves it rather than changes it so it looses its history .

Heritage Commercials December 2010.The Man Himself + his F88 (R.I.P)

Mornin fellas,
I’ll have to get a copy of this magazine. Here’s an other magazine cutting of Pat Seal from an old Truck & Driver magazine,the beard is a bit longer and the shirts changed colour.

In case anyone wondered what happened to this old girl, here she is, took this pic yesterday at the Classic Enthusiasts day at 3 Countis Showground, Malvern.