Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Some busy street scenes from Newcastle. the colour one is looking north up Northumberland Street. I think it may still have been the A1 at the time. Tyneside

The Newcastle Fire Service in action Tyneside

Throckley Coop Newcastle. Taken about 1934

Past & Present around Newcastle Tyneside

Coopers Auctions Newcastle. Very well known on Tyneside. Started at the bottom of Westgate Road selling horses, carriages etc. Not sure what year they were established but my Grandfather used to buy and sell stuff there in the 1920’s and 30’s. Moved out of the town in the 70’s to a large site at
Portobello, Birtley, just behind the M/way services. Still there and despite having had several different ownerships and trading names over the years is still referred to as “Coopers”

Hi Tyneside, Thanks for posting these great pictures, The driver of the Halley looks very happy :smiley: , Perhaps he got double dividend, Regards Larry.

Really good set of pic’s there. Some nostalgic and others plain interesting. Thanks.

Definitely in the past just look at the motor going the other way is that an FG ? Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Definitely in the past just look at the motor going the other way is that an FG ? Buzzer.

Yep: FG!

Found these on Facebook Robert nmp

Buzzer:

And a Cawthorn and Sinclair Artic from Birtley - looks like a Merc. Big company at one time,did a lot of work for Caterpillar,I remember their yard well as it was next door to Durham Chemicals where I tipped Xylene regularly int 70s.

Chris Webb:

Buzzer:

And a Cawthorn and Sinclair Artic from Birtley - looks like a Merc. Big company at one time,did a lot of work for Caterpillar,I remember their yard well as it was next door to Durham Chemicals where I tipped Xylene regularly int 70s.

Hi Chris, I was thinking F88.
Oily

oiltreader:

Chris Webb:

Buzzer:

Oily

Plus 1 Oily look at the wing over the front wheel, Buzzer

Buzzer:

oiltreader:

Chris Webb:

Buzzer:

Oily

My late sister worked in the C&S office at Birtley for several years in the 70’s / 80’s
Tyneside

Thanks to Ray Smyth, tyneside, Buzzer and gazsa401 for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Amos Meer ERF snapped on the A40 at Longford Island Gloucester, all credit to SCP for the photo.

Didn’t Cave Wood take over/buy Cawthorns in the early 80’s they used to use our yard to change over,Bryan Robson the footballers dad worked for them also a firm from down south VT or VM transport turquoise Volvos if I remembe correctly.Cawthorns ran Maggie’s and Mercs.

They certainly did run 88’s Oily your truck spotting is spot on! :smiley: From a 1971 Comm Motor mag. Franky.

Buzzer:

oiltreader:

Chris Webb:

Buzzer:

Oily

Yes,you are a right,it’s an F88.It’s just that I were so used to seeing C and S running Mercs that I assumed it was. :confused:

The late Jim Wilkinson was an authority on Halley wagons he would probably have given us chapter and verse on this one.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
The late Jim Wilkinson was an authority on Halley wagons he would probably have given us chapter and verse on this one.
Cheers, Leyland 600[/quote

Yes Gerald, I’m sure Jim could have given us chapter and verse on on the Halley :laughing: :laughing: . Iain will probably find all the info in his dad’s paperwork, which he is still in the process of going though. As you know Jim was a prolific diarist and data recorder so watch this space! Regards Kev.