Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

When Ailsa was established Cawthorn Sinclair were the preferred choice to be the main N. England Volvo dealer but the Tait brothers managed to persuade the Ailsa management that at Haydon Bridge they were in a better geographical position to serve both NW and NE England.

C&S had several vehicles a day running between the Caterpillar plants at Birtley and Glasgow and at the time the A69 ran through Haydon Bridge right past Taits yard. A sign was often seen on the pavement outside Taits saying “Cawthorn please call in” which meant there was spares to collect by the next wagon passing on its way back to Birtley.

Tyneside

tyneside:
When Ailsa was established Cawthorn Sinclair were the preferred choice to be the main N. England Volvo dealer but the Tait brothers managed to persuade the Ailsa management that at Haydon Bridge they were in a better geographical position to serve both NW and NE England.

C&S had several vehicles a day running between the Caterpillar plants at Birtley and Glasgow and at the time the A69 ran through Haydon Bridge right past Taits yard. A sign was often seen on the pavement outside Taits saying “Cawthorn please call in” which meant there was spares to collect by the next wagon passing on its way back to Birtley.

Tyneside

Also to Leicester, where the shop steward there was, with me as his opposite number at Econofreight, stoutly resisting the strike of '79. Leicester generally was very moderate but both he and I were under great pressure from the stewards at Birtley and Stockton to join in the, then wildcat, walkout. Eventually the pressure from the north was too great and both our memberships voted to strike at the same time. We had to inform the T&G committee of our reluctant decision, and were both promptly branded as ‘communists’ by the local leadership. :open_mouth: :laughing:

The Market Square in Wigan town centre in the 1960s. During the daytime it was a car park,
and from about 5pm it became a lorry park, some drivers went to digs close by, and some
slept in the " Cab Hotel ". The van near the centre of the picture with coachbuilt bodywork
looks like a bonneted Ford Thames Trader, but I am not certain. The van in Hope Street looks
like a Commer/Karrier, near to its back end is the office of Ribble Motor Services bus & travel office.
Picture by Frank Orrell.

Indeed a Ford Thames Trader NC range Ray, the dark van in the distance seems to have the Rowntree signwriting on the side. A nice range of classic cars parked up too. Franky.

Frankydobo:
Indeed a Ford Thames Trader NC range Ray, the dark van in the distance seems to have the Rowntree signwriting on the side. A nice range of classic cars parked up too. Franky.

Franky, Thank you for your reply, It looks like its rear wheels are single, cant quite enlarge the picture enough.
I wonder what gross vehicle weight it would have been. The bodywork reminds me of Hawson Garner of Guildford.

Cheers, Ray.

tyneside:
Past & Present around Newcastle Tyneside

Hi Tyneside, Once again youve done a great job, The Halley motor with its very cheerfull looking driver is a 1927 Reg, Throckley & District Co.ophad a shop at Falstone & Whitfield, & Belsay IIRC, Please keep these cracking pictures rolling, And stay safe too, Regards Larry.

Franky, Thank you for your reply, It looks like its rear wheels are single, cant quite enlarge the picture enough.
I wonder what gross vehicle weight it would have been. The bodywork reminds me of Hawson Garner of Guildford.

Cheers, Ray.

The Trader weights ranged from 30cwt to 7 Tons Ray and had varying wheelbases across those weights, as you say the one in the photo seems to have single rears so likely no more than a 3 Tonner. Four cylinder engines of Petrol or Diesel up to 4 Ton then the 5 Ton could have six or four cylinder engines and the 7 Tonner six cylinder with a five speed box option with a two speed axle also an option on models 3 Ton upwards, so plenty of choice for customers back then. Franky.

Oily a little bit of forestry captured here with a county tractor featured and they were quite common in the timber extraction scene, Buzzer

No wheels but is definitely past and present, Buzzer

A Carnival day in the Mossley Hill/Woolton area of Liverpool in the early 1960s.
The lorry belongs to G.A.Chadwick of Halewood. Pictures 2 and 3 show guitarist
and former Beatle John Lennon near the headboard of the lorry. Is it an ERF ■■.

Ray.

GED 482....jpg

GED 482...jpg

Thanks to Frankydobo, Ray Smyth and Buzzer for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

French Kenworth on the A12 at Rivenhall End, all credit to SCP for the photo.

TKN SCP CD-374-JE Kenworth pulling tanker travelling towards London on the A12 at Rivenhall End. 42607387685_473d798093_k.jpg

Ray Smyth:
A Carnival day in the Mossley Hill/Woolton area of Liverpool in the early 1960s.
The lorry belongs to G.A.Chadwick of Halewood. Pictures 2 and 3 show guitarist
and former Beatle John Lennon near the headboard of the lorry. Is it an ERF ■■.

Ray.

Looking at the rear hubs I think that’s a Thornycroft, either a Nippy or Sturdy but trying to confuse us as it has BMC rear mudguards.
Bernard

Found this on Facebook nmp
Interesting cab looks like a Foden cab
Not seen one like this before

gazsa401:

Found this on Facebook nmp
Interesting cab looks like a Foden cab
Not seen one like this before

Irish Dennison, were they not built in Ireland ? Buzzer

One of many huge Bibbys factories in Liverpool. Bibbys employed thousands of people in the
production of animal feeds, soap powder, and cooking fats, which produced regular work for
many hauliers, as well as their own transport. Picture from Bootle History Forum.

tyneside’s Halley photo got me looking for info on Halley wagons.
Oily

Year 1922 and driver Frederick Budden.
Oily

Gary’s Dennison photo with a Sisu cab, reading about Sisu and their different models involved different cab suppliers, even a connection with the Scania and in particular the 111 cab.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu_Auto#Cabins scroll down to Cabins.
Oily

Scania_111_i_Kavala_i_1982 in PD.jpg

Dennison gary c1c7c80bf5e47898818753e9527d0c51.jpg

Thanks to gazsa401 and Ray Smyth for the pics :smiley: :smiley: .
Oily

Off FB.

Arthur Green from Bratford (Bradford) remember them well when I was doing Italy long time ago, Buzzer.