Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Ray the Forth Road Services Albion with angular cab built by Walter Alexander Coachbuilders is a Clydesdale model and common ly known as a “Snocat” when having this cab fitted. Caledonian Road Services also had some. Walter Alexander was on the board of both companies. I believe they were cold and uncomfortable hated by most drivers. The other Albion shown is a CX model.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Ray Smyth:

pv83:
A couple for the…erm… more “experienced” members on here to discuss :wink:

Hi pv, The BRS artics are either Austin or Morris, then 2 Albions, Cheers, Ray.

They are Austins with that grille, Morris had individual horizontal bars and later they changed to the slatted grille with chrome surround.

Pete.

windrush:

Ray Smyth:

pv83:
A couple for the…erm… more “experienced” members on here to discuss :wink:

Hi pv, The BRS artics are either Austin or Morris, then 2 Albions, Cheers, Ray.

They are Austins with that grille, Morris had individual horizontal bars and later they changed to the slatted grille with chrome surround.

Pete.

Scammell couplings? Or perhaps no fifth-wheel at all! I can’t see one. R

Thanks to Gerald, Pete, and Robert for your comments on the BRS Austin artics.
They were fitted with Scammell couplings, probably part of the BRS Parcels fleet.
I imagine they were painted in BRS Parcels “Green”.
Cheers, Ray.

ERF-NGC-European:

Scammell I reckon, BMC ‘Prime Movers’ (as BMC called them) were only rated for 22 ton gtw and I can’t really remember working on any of that period with a fith wheel? However it was almost fifty years ago now so could well be wrong! :blush: I know the later BMC FJ 360 unit was available with a fith wheel though as we converted the braking system on some BRS contract vehicles, although the engines never lasted long enough in service to worry about stopping the things! :laughing:

Pete.

11 December 1981.
Christian Salvesen, Droitwich based MB 1617
GSC 626T.
Seen at Sainsburys first Northwich Store.
after a bad weather run up from Worcs.
note it as now got a different fridge than
The one seen in earlier pics.

Ray Smyth:
They were fitted with Scammell couplings, probably part of the BRS Parcels fleet.
Cheers, Ray.

The 2 that I can identify are Austin 5EFED units rated at 8 Tons. They were new in October 1956 at High Wycombe depot and painted red. 823 AWL and 824 AWL. Later fleet no.s were 4G311 and 312 Later transfered to Swindon

1961 Scammell couplings.

Click on page twice.

gingerfold:

oiltreader:

ramone:

oiltreader:
Thanks to pv83, JB730, pyewacket947v and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

A wee bit of excitement for GOM, courtesy of Dave Fawcett.
520 EXC (1963) AEC Mammoth Major MkV . Shell Mex
5.1993 AEC Rally , Nottingham

That’s a superb AEC Oily a credit to whoever restored it. What type of cab is it i don’t think it’s a Park Royal

I don’t have a clue ramone :confused: the AEC experts will hopefully tell us.
Oily

HCB (Hampshire Car Bodies)

Ta gingerfold :slight_smile: a new one on me.
Oily

I was going to suggest Duramin it shows how much i know

Thanks to Buzzer, pyewacket947v, pv83, TIDDERSON and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

A string coming off the ferry at Lochmaddy North Uist June 2019, the lifeblood of the Outer Hebrides.

oiltreader:

Oily
[/quote]
Didn’t HCB make fire engines at one time?

Pete.

Nice old shot nmp, Buzzer

windrush:

ERF-NGC-European:

Scammell I reckon, BMC ‘Prime Movers’ (as BMC called them) were only rated for 22 ton gtw and I can’t really remember working on any of that period with a fith wheel? However it was almost fifty years ago now so could well be wrong! :blush: I know the later BMC FJ 360 unit was available with a fith wheel though as we converted the braking system on some BRS contract vehicles, although the engines never lasted long enough in service to worry about stopping the things! :laughing:

Pete.

Hi Windrush, Memories of the past , Oxford BRS had their fair share of those “things” in the early days (1950 ish) although of an earlier mark , we drivers hated them ,in blue livery for Prestcold , Saurer diesel engine which would often run backwards on starting ,suicide doors, but fitted with 5th wheel so as to be standard with rest of trailer fleet , every hill resulted in trail of black smoke behind ,

DSC_0001 (Mobile).JPG

windrush:

oiltreader:

Oily

Pete.
[/quote]
I think it was HCB Angus (Carryfast will put me right). HCB did the bodywork, Angus made the pumping equipment.

gingerfold:

windrush:

oiltreader:

Oily

Pete.

I think it was HCB Angus (Carryfast will put me right). HCB did the bodywork, Angus made the pumping equipment.
[/quote]
HCB Angus made fire engine appliances in Totton near Southampton, had a mate who worked there and when we had motorbikes he used to make fantastic mounting engine plates in his lunch break with there materials of course, Buzzer

toshboy:
Hi Windrush, Memories of the past , Oxford BRS had their fair share of those “things” in the early days (1950 ish) although of an earlier mark , we drivers hated them ,in blue livery for Prestcold , Saurer diesel engine which would often run backwards on starting ,suicide doors, but fitted with 5th wheel so as to be standard with rest of trailer fleet , every hill resulted in trail of black smoke behind ,

Yes, the Saurer diesel engine made by Nuffield under licence. A very popular vehicle the Morris Commercial FVO and there were hundreds of them around, Derbyshire Stone ran a lot of tippers. Morris/Austin developed their own 3.4 diesel engine using the Saurer design as a base, similar in some respects and of course with the fuel pump still mounted on the right hand side. I have an original workshop manual for the Saurer diesel upstairs.

Pete.

windrush:

toshboy:

Yes, the Saurer diesel engine made by Nuffield under licence. A very popular vehicle the Morris Commercial FVO and there were hundreds of them around, Derbyshire Stone ran a lot of tippers. Morris/Austin developed their own 3.4 diesel engine using the Saurer design as a base, similar in some respects and of course with the fuel pump still mounted on the right hand side. I have an original workshop manual for the Saurer diesel upstairs.

Pete.

Wasn’t it the combustion chamber design and fuel injection system that was the Saurer licence? Dating back to the early 1930s and the first reliable small high speed Diesel engines. The competing system was the British designed Ricardo Comet, used by AEC with its early Diesel engines. Gardner of course beat both of them with its direct fuel injection L2 design in 1929.

TIDDERSON:

Ray Smyth:
Cheers, Ray.

The 2 that I can identify are Austin 5EFED units rated at 8 Tons. They were new in October 1956 at High Wycombe depot and painted red. 823 AWL and 824 AWL. Later fleet no.s were 4G311 and 312 Later transfered to Swindon

Is that a Maudsley in the background? Whether or not, what engines did they use. Anyone know or remember?

gingerfold:
Wasn’t it the combustion chamber design and fuel injection system that was the Saurer licence? Dating back to the early 1930s and the first reliable small high speed Diesel engine. The competing system was the British designed Ricardo Comet, used by AEC with its early Diesel engines. Gardner of course beat both of them with its direct fuel injection L2 design in 1929.

It could have been Graham? The Saurer in the Morris was direct injection with the combustion chamber in the piston bowl, as was the BMC diesel. It had ‘Saurer patent’ injectors which were very slim, and a standard CAV pneumatically governed pump according to the manual.

Pete.