Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Driver John Bridges with his MB 1617 at Christian Salvesens Depot ,Droitwich Spa, Worcs,
Circa 1981, These 1617s where replacements for Leyland Clydesdales ,and it must be admitted
where quite a improvement. The Leylands had been OK to drive but had a buttock clenching
tendency to roll when laden in rigid form,.
The second pic is of my thumb,(mainly) and the extremely comfortable bed in my allocated
1617. GSC 626T

bunk626T.jpg

oiltreader:
Thanks to pv83, JB730, pyewacket947v and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

A wee bit of excitement for GOM, courtesy of Dave Fawcett.
“520 EXC (1963) AEC Mammoth Major MkV . Shell Mex
5.1993 AEC Rally , Nottingham”

That’s a superb AEC Oily a credit to whoever restored it. What type of cab is it i don’t think it’s a Park Royal

Maybe this will help the Austin princess Vanden plas query… I had the A110 Westminster myself loved it

P1000713.JPG

coomsey:
Deluxe! nmp

Good pic “coomsey”. I cant remember seeing an 8 wheel D series on the road. I imagine they were pretty rare ? :unamused:

ford range2.jpg

Dean this was I believe a D600 that I owned in the early years, used it on straw and hay cart and when you had 50 bales over the cab which was 1/5th of the load caution was needed going round roundabout’s, the Ford was better actually than the TK Bedford which I also owned but there front springs were about 6ft6inches long, Buzzer

DEANB:

coomsey:
Deluxe! nmp

Good pic “coomsey”. I cant remember seeing an 8 wheel D series on the road. I imagine they were pretty rare ? :unamused:

She stands well Dean! I don’t remember ever seeing an 8whl conversion of any of the usual suspects. It would be interesting to find out what sort numbers were sold. One of the boys said it was cost effective but doesn’t seem it my head, would it have voided the warranty on the motor ? Cheers Coomsey

coomsey:

DEANB:

coomsey:
Deluxe! nmp

She stands well Dean! I don’t remember ever seeing an 8whl conversion of any of the usual suspects. It would be interesting to find out what sort numbers were sold. One of the boys said it was cost effective but doesn’t seem it my head, would it have voided the warranty on the motor ? Cheers Coomsey

I wonder how much work was needed on the chassis itself to take the extra work. Anybody know what the converters did?

Dipster:

coomsey:

DEANB:

coomsey:
Deluxe! nmp

I wonder how much work was needed on the chassis itself to take the extra work. Anybody know what the converters did?

Yes D ! N what engine/box would you spec ?

DEANB
Good pic “coomsey”. I cant remember seeing an 8 wheel D series on the road. I imagine they were pretty rare ?

D Series Ford.jpg

backsplice:
Maybe this will help the Austin princess Vanden plas query… I had the A110 Westminster myself loved it

Thanks for posting, that looks the car my Dad bought about 1962, picked up the brief description below from the web.

Tyneside

The Princess is a version of the Austin A99 Westminster produced by BMC from 1959 to 1968, latterly under the Vanden Plas marque.
The model was launched in October 1959 under the name Princess 3-litre.[1] From July 1960, these vehicles bore the name Vanden Plas Princess 3-litre, Vanden Plas having become a badge-engineered brand in its own right instead of being known as a coachbuilder for cars of other manufacturers. The 3-litre was superseded by the Vanden Plas Princess 4-litre R in 1964.
The 3-litre was largely identical to the Pininfarina-designed Austin A99 Westminster and Wolseley 6/99 which used the same chassis and body. The Princess was given its own identity with a special Vanden Plas grille (fairly square, with a thick surround and vertical slats), round headlamps, and horn grilles on the front. The interior was lavish in typical Vanden Plas style, featuring burr walnut wood trim, leather seats and panels, and high-quality carpeting. A division between the driver and the rear compartment was an optional extra. Initially, it was powered by BMC’s 3-litre C-Series engine, developing 108 hp (81 kW).
A Vanden Plas Princess 3-litre with automatic transmission was tested by the British magazine The Motor in 1961 and had a top speed of 99.3 mph (159.8 km/h). It could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 16.1 seconds while fuel consumption of 21.1 miles per imperial gallon (13.4 L/100 km; 17.6 mpg US) was recorded. The test car cost ÂŁ1,467 including taxes.[3]
This model was replaced in 1961 by the Vanden Plas Princess 3-litre Mark II. Styling was similar but the wheelbase was two inches (5 cm) longer and anti-roll bars were added to the suspension at both ends of the car. The engine was uprated to 120 hp (89 kW). Better brakes were fitted, and interior improvements included built-in drop-down “picnic tables” for the rear seat passengers. Options now included “Smith’s air-conditioning”.

From F/B Tyneside

ramone:

oiltreader:
Thanks to pv83, JB730, pyewacket947v and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

That’s a superb AEC Oily a credit to whoever restored it. What type of cab is it i don’t think it’s a Park Royal

I don’t have a clue ramone :confused: the AEC experts will hopefully tell us.
Oily

Thanks to pyewacket947v, backsplice, DEANB, Buzzer, Stanfield and tyneside for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Snapped recently by Eddie(eastleighbusman) a fine example still earning.

General eastleighbusman Oct 24th 20119 48978661631_479374f9c3_elbm k.jpg

oiltreader:

ramone:

oiltreader:
Oily

I don’t have a clue ramone :confused: the AEC experts will hopefully tell us.
Oily

HCB (Hampshire Car Bodies)

Tidy ERF today nmp, Buzzer

Circa 1981
My MB 1617 in a Sainsbury yard,somewhere in the UK!!
It may be the old Stafford store, i just cannot pinpoint it from the photo.
The 1617 was great after the old Clydesdales, anti roll bars, exhaust brake
nice ride, quiet cab.
I cannot say the same for the box and fridge and tail lift. It was a ex Hawick drag trailer body.
The tail lift when stowed stood above the floor level when lowered to the ground, this meant lowering
the thing to open and close the doors. It also meant that dock levellers would not reach the floor when
backing up to more modern bays, ie the flush fitting type. Parrots in Weston super Mare threatened
to string me up if i ever took the thing there again. It was shortened eventually, but it caused me a
deal of grief till it happened.

A couple for the…erm… more “experienced” members on here to discuss :wink:

C16dHJF0E9nmFSzjnBROPWEPg60_12-vi.jpg

Out to grass down under nmp, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Out to grass down under nmp, Buzzer

That’s a great looking machine Buzzer,thanks for the picture.

David

pv83:
A couple for the…erm… more “experienced” members on here to discuss :wink:

Hi pv, The BRS artics are either Austin or Morris, then 2 Albions, Cheers, Ray.