Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

on a cold day with my atkinson it was out with the air filter , dip rag in diesel tank on end of welding wire , set light to it , stuff it in the air filter housing and start up , way better than eazy start spray.
tony

DEANB:
Well done on 600 pages Oily, big effort chap. :wink:

Ford D series car transporter from 1967.

Thank you Dean :smiley: only possible with input from yourself and others.
Oily

tonyj105:
on a cold day with my atkinson it was out with the air filter , dip rag in diesel tank on end of welding wire , set light to it , stuff it in the air filter housing and start up , way better than eazy start spray.
tony

Cue scene…frosty Feb 1956, 6.00am bus garage Kirkcaldy, Guy Arabs and the shunter going round with a lit diesel soaked rag wound on a stick lifting air cleaner cowls, we got a talking to if we sat winding the battery down before it was our turn, a dense blue haze of Gardner exhaust pollution was not for hanging around in. Roll back the years I want to do it again. :laughing:
Oily

tyneside:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

tyneside:
Not a waggon but it would have made for an interesting drive.

Tyneside

Thats a quality pic “tyneside” :smiley:

Is that a Morris as i seem to remember it was also sold under another badge/make ?

I had an uncle when i was a kid who had the saloon version and from memory they were a pretty decent car.

I cant ever remember seeing an estate version but i reckon that looks very smart as an estate.Were they fairly common
as an estate or rare ■■

I “think” i read somewhere that a company was still building them in India until not that long ago.

BMC made these under a variety of badges. The Morris Oxford and the Austin Cambridge both came in saloon or estate versions (and to answer your question the estates were probably the most common we hadt then). The posher versions were the Wolseley 16/60, the Van den Plas with the 4-ltr RR engine and the Riley. Apart from the Van den Plas I think they all shared versions of the basic BMC ‘B’ engine - someone’ll put me right there. They were nice solid family cars for their time. We wouldn’t put up with the unreliability nowadays but then everything else was much less reliable then. I ran an Morris Oxford estate which I pulled a caravan with, a Wolseley 16/60 and an Austin Cambridge saloon which I bought cheaply one Spring and the clutch went; so as it had a new battery I drove it without a clutch for the rest of Summer before flogging it off cheap and buying another old banger.

As for the Indian version: you’re thinking of the older version (shaped like a giant Morris Minor). The tooling etc were all shipped out to India where they were made under the flag of Hindustani Ambassador. There were millions of them when I last went to India. They made Bedford TJs too. Robert

I remember my Dad had an Austin Cambridge with Vanden Plas bodywork but the BMC engine. Reg was 884 TBB and he bought second hand about 1962 / 63.

Tyneside

Just done a little research and the car my Dad had must have been a Vanden Plas Princess with a three litre engine. They were produced between 1960 and 1964.

Tyneside

oiltreader:

tonyj105:
tony

Cue scene…frosty Feb 1956, 6.00am bus garage Kirkcaldy, Guy Arabs and the shunter going round with a lit diesel soaked rag wound on a stick lifting air cleaner cowls, we got a talking to if we sat winding the battery down before it was our turn, a dense blue haze of Gardner exhaust pollution was not for hanging around in. Roll back the years I want to do it again. :laughing:
Oily

We had a couple of Fordson Major loading shovels in the coal yard and that was the quickest way to get them started on cold mornings

Tyneside

Not really relevant but was there a Vande Plas version of the BL Austin Princess or am i imagining it?

Just done a little research and the car my Dad had must have been a Vanden Plas Princess with a three litre engine. They were produced between 1960 and 1964.

Tyneside
[/quote]
I do not remember those at all. As they say you learn something new every day…

ramone:
Not really relevant but was there a Vande Plas version of the BL Austin Princess or am i imagining it?

Short anwer, yes! I worked on the ambulance versions. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Princess

Pete.

windrush:

ramone:

Short anwer, yes! I worked on the ambulance versions. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Princess

Pete.

And a VdP version of the 1300 too.

Dipster:

windrush:

ramone:

Pete.

And the Allegro! :unamused: Actually the Austin Princess limousines were a lovely vehicle, a ‘poor mans Rolls/Bentley’ admittedly but they were still very luxurious and a fraction of the price. A decent 4 litre straight six engine, similar to that fitted in the petrol FGK/FFK/ and other Austin and Morris commercials but very reliable. They had a nice black crinkle finished rocker cover which the truck engine didn’t have. :laughing: The ambulance versions were very heavy though and the wheel studs used to bend under the weight (I actually discovered that when servicing them and struggled to get the wheels off!) as the stud pitch diameter was very small for the heavy solid steel wheels, although nothing was ever done about it! Berkshire Ambulance service had a few of them which we repaired, replacing the old LD versions. I THINK they were intended for use on the newly opened M4 as obviously they had a faster turn of speed, they only had a single Zenith carburettor but it was the size of a small dustbin!! :laughing:

Pete.

Thanks to pv83, JB730, pyewacket947v and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

A wee bit of excitement for GOM, courtesy of Dave Fawcett.
520 EXC (1963) AEC Mammoth Major MkV . Shell Mex
5.1993 AEC Rally , Nottingham

Circa 1981
Christian Salvesen
Droitwich Spa Depot
D Type Ford 1000s used on general haulage, equipped with a fold down bunk
which filled the cab when lowered.Awful motors.!

csfrds.jpg

pyewacket947v:
1Circa 1981
Christian Salvesen
Droitwich Spa Depot

Better than a bit of plywood across an Atki bonnet

Deluxe! nmp

rastone:

pyewacket947v:
1Circa 1981
Christian Salvesen
Droitwich Spa Depot

Better than a bit of plywood across an Atki bonnet

They really was not…

windrush:

Dipster:

windrush:

ramone:

Pete.

And the Allegro! :unamused: Actually the Austin Princess limousines were a lovely vehicle, a ‘poor mans Rolls/Bentley’ admittedly but they were still very luxurious and a fraction of the price. A decent 4 litre straight six engine, similar to that fitted in the petrol FGK/FFK/ and other Austin and Morris commercials but very reliable. They had a nice black crinkle finished rocker cover which the truck engine didn’t have. :laughing: The ambulance versions were very heavy though and the wheel studs used to bend under the weight (I actually discovered that when servicing them and struggled to get the wheels off!) as the stud pitch diameter was very small for the heavy solid steel wheels, although nothing was ever done about it! Berkshire Ambulance service had a few of them which we repaired, replacing the old LD versions. I THINK they were intended for use on the newly opened M4 as obviously they had a faster turn of speed, they only had a single Zenith carburettor but it was the size of a small dustbin!! :laughing:

Staffordshire had some blue Daimlers
Pete.

I worked on the Princesses at Kennings in Streatham. I remember those engines well. Ticked over with hardly a movement. Low compression ratio like the old rollers but still pulled OK.

A few odd ones

Thanks to pyewacket947v, coomsey and Tidderson for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
Oily

Scots at Leeming Bar(Exelby) earlier this year.

windrush:

Dipster:

windrush:

ramone:

Pete.

Pete.

I seem to remember ,I think it was an Austin Princess which had a Rolls Royce engine, we had a demo one which Ron Amey was evaluating ,he came into Sutton with it one day but he was not recognised ,he asked me to fill it up with petrol and looking around I found a water leak and steam from underneath it , he was not at all pleased and said 'dump it over by the pit edge ’ and get Hartwells to pick it up pronto —we never saw it again!!