Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Thanks to Buzzer, Lawrence Dunbar and Froggy55 for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and the continued info and craic from others :smiley: .
Oily
On the lighter side an older Trannie earlier this year Inverness, Phil MaCones, I like it :laughing:

This is outside of the Discovery Museum in Newcastle. I think it’s the last tank built at the Scotswood works. But I stand to be corrected :confused: :confused: Regards Kev.[attachment=0]IMG_20191114_100927.jpg[/attachment

IMG_20191114_100927.jpg

The Maudsley majestic ( I think) is a 1947 with a birmingham plate. It belongs to british road services which had taken over much of the british road haulage after the war due to nationalisation policies of the new labour government . My dad worked for a company called Annables transport from Shepshed Leicestershire they were taken over after the war ended in 1945…he left shortly afterwards .

International.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi Buzzer, Thanks for posting John Scotts old wagons, The Leyland is a 1924 Reg & the Thorneycroft 1925, There is one of their 1960 reg four wheeler flat Its in Murray Hoggs colours, It goes to shows now & again, When Scotts had it it was In Bass colours which was blue, They stored their barrels & bottled Bass in the arches along Pottery Lane behind the Central Station in Newcastle, The driver was a lad called Freddie Ferrier, He used to give us a few bottles of Bass :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Regards Larry.

This is the old Thorneycroft that was Scotts, Regards Larry.

Not the usual cab on the Sturdy Star- the standard model shared a cab with the small Guys of the period. The one we had was equipped with an overdrive 'box and could show most lorries a clean pair of heels. The regular driver’s party trick was to race the passenger train from the Lazy Trout café to the crossroads at Church Stretton. Uphill! Loaded!

robinswh:
The Maudsley majestic ( I think) is a 1947 with a birmingham plate. It belongs to british road services which had taken over much of the british road haulage after the war due to nationalisation policies of the new labour government . My dad worked for a company called Annables transport from Shepshed Leicestershire they were taken over after the war ended in 1945…he left shortly afterwards .

Thanks!

Just the one ERF today nmp, Buzzer

FB_IMG_1573731914018.jpg
Always looked better as a 6whlr I thought

This is outside of the Discovery Museum in Newcastle. I think it’s the last tank built at the Scotswood works. But I stand to be corrected Regards Kev.

Its the Challenger 2 Kev, and it was the first post war British Main Battle Tank to be designed, developed and produced by a single manufacturer, Vickers Defence Systems now Alvis Vickers and part of BAe Systems. It first went into service in May 1994 and proved itself and the expertise of the British crews on Op Telic the Iraq War. A total of 386 CR2 tanks were built in Newcastle. A Challenger 2E an enhanced version was also built for export. Franky.

Form Facebook NMP TYneside

MORRIS VAN NCL 2.jpg

NCL MART 2.png

TANK SCOTSWOOD ROAD 2.png

Frankydobo:
This is outside of the Discovery Museum in Newcastle. I think it’s the last tank built at the Scotswood works. But I stand to be corrected Regards Kev.

Its the Challenger 2 Kev, and it was the first post war British Main Battle Tank to be designed, developed and produced by a single manufacturer, Vickers Defence Systems now Alvis Vickers and part of BAe Systems. It first went into service in May 1994 and proved itself and the expertise of the British crews on Op Telic the Iraq War. A total of 386 CR2 tanks were built in Newcastle. A Challenger 2E an enhanced version was also built for export. Franky.

Thanks Franky, it’s certainly an impressive piece of kit! The shot of the armour travelling along Scotswood Rd reminded me that it was a regular sight to see armoured vehicles on test on the Military Rd in the seventies. You always seemed to come across them when there was double white line on the road. :unamused: :wink: They weren’t particularly slow, just a bit inconvenient to pass if you lost your momentum. Also the trade plates stick in my mind, they did look odd on a tank! Regards Kev.

Anyone on here remembers Sparrows?

Sparrows Crane Hire were on the Lower Bristol Road in the Twerton area of Bath in Somerset.
A relative of mine, Marion Brown, nee Nowell, worked for Sparrows in the office. Her husband,
Vic Brown was a parcels van driver for British Railways, based at Midland Bridge Road, on the site of
what was Bath Green Park station, the northern end of the former Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway.
The site has been occupied by Sainsbury`s for many years. Ray Smyth.

That’s what you call a crane truck. I wonder how wide it was.

tyneside:
Form Facebook NMP TYneside

Before I had passed my driving test, probably about 1960, I had a job as a clerk in the offices of Weddel Meat in Nottingham and then was transferred to the Bedford depot. I lodged with the driver of their delivery van, just like that Morris, and, as I hitched hiked home to Nottingham each weekend and knew every inch of the route, A6 Kettering, Leicester, A 46 A 606 to Nottingham, whenever Ernie was not driving the van and I had a spare moment, I could be found sitting in the cab ‘driving’ the whole route back home. I longed to be a lorry driver and hung on every word when the meat drivers of Union Cartage (like Weddel and Blue Star Line, a Vestey company) visited to deliver from Smithfield.

And it was Vestey who ran large cattle stations in the Northern Territory and used the Rotinoffs for their road trains. I was never fortunate enough to see one though. :frowning:

And while on the subject of cranes, does anyone remember Scott’s of Beeston, Nottingham? Their yard is now houses I think and had very restricted access to the main road. I believe they were taken over and the name disappeared.

And tanks, I am on a memory roll this morning. I lived on the old A 52 not far from Chilwell depot and often saw them at speed on the road outside, you could hear the steel tracks from way off. :laughing:

And it was Vestey who ran large cattle stations in the Northern Territory and used the Rotinoffs for their road trains. I was never fortunate enough to see one though. :frowning:

OZ Transport (1785)nkc.jpg

Thanks to kevmac47, DEANB, Buzzer, coomsey, pv83 and tyneside for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

This is a brilliant film of building the M74 1964 to 1966 and the varied machinery and wagons of the time, the surveys done and the materials used.
youtube.com/watch?v=MV3Z5HxZ_Lk
Oily

Oily one from up your end, Fife pea growers in the early 70’s and you can see a Massey 1200 at work, Buzzer.

Ray Smyth:
Sparrows Crane Hire were on the Lower Bristol Road in the Twerton area of Bath in Somerset.
A relative of mine, Marion Brown, nee Nowell, worked for Sparrows in the office. Her husband,
Vic Brown was a parcels van driver for British Railways, based at Midland Bridge Road, on the site of
what was Bath Green Park station, the northern end of the former Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway.

peterm:

Cheers for the info Ray, weren’t they at some point the biggest crane hire company in the UK?

Most mobile cranes have a max. width of 3m peterm, not sure about the older ones though…

Cheers, Patrick

pv83:

Ray Smyth:

peterm:

Cheers for the info Ray, weren’t they at some point the biggest crane hire company in the UK?

Most mobile cranes have a max. width of 3m peterm, not sure about the older ones though…

Cheers, Patrick

Thanks Patrick. Hard to tell from the photo, but I wouldn’t fancy taking it through Rotherhithe tunnel. :wink: