Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Spardo:

tyneside:
Form Facebook NMP TYneside

Before I had passed my driving test, probably about 1960, I had a job as a clerk in the offices of Weddel Meat in Nottingham and then was transferred to the Bedford depot. I lodged with the driver of their delivery van, just like that Morris, and, as I hitched hiked home to Nottingham each weekend and knew every inch of the route, A6 Kettering, Leicester, A 46 A 606 to Nottingham, whenever Ernie was not driving the van and I had a spare moment, I could be found sitting in the cab ā€˜drivingā€™ the whole route back home. I longed to be a lorry driver and hung on every word when the meat drivers of Union Cartage (like Weddel and Blue Star Line, a Vestey company) visited to deliver from Smithfield.

And it was Vestey who ran large cattle stations in the Northern Territory and used the Rotinoffs for their road trains. I was never fortunate enough to see one though. :frowning:

And while on the subject of cranes, does anyone remember Scottā€™s of Beeston, Nottingham? Their yard is now houses I think and had very restricted access to the main road. I believe they were taken over and the name disappeared.

And tanks, I am on a memory roll this morning. I lived on the old A 52 not far from Chilwell depot and often saw them at speed on the road outside, you could hear the steel tracks from way off. :laughing:

ā€œSpardoā€ Re the Rotinoff Roadtrains will pop some stuff on the heavy haulage thread later. :wink:

rotinoff aus.PNG

DeanB:
ā€œSpardoā€ Re the Rotinoff Roadtrains will pop some stuff on the heavy haulage thread later. :wink:

Thanks Dean, it occurs to me that, to the unknowledgeable eye, a person might mistake that Rotinoff with what looks like a big T on the grill, for a Mighty Antar. :unamused: :laughing:

Wonder what all the sheets were for though, I never remember having to keep cows in the dark. :astonished:

And to Peterm

Thanks Patrick. Hard to tell from the photo, but I wouldnā€™t fancy taking it through Rotherhithe tunnel. :wink:

Nor me, I remember my first time through there, with an AEC 8-legger, and terrified that I would lose my mirror on one of the oncoming wagons. Scrunched up as far as I dared to the wall on the left. Am I really so old that the Blackwall wasnā€™t built in those days? Of course not, so why was the Rotherhithe 2-way? Or did I dream it. :confused:

An oldie today, Buzzer.

untitled.png

Few from a recent trip to USA / Canada

usa tanker 2.jpg

usa tipper 2.jpg

usa refridge 2.jpg

usa all terrain 2.jpg

oiltreader:
ā€œAnd it was Vestey who ran large cattle stations in the Northern Territory and used the Rotinoffs for their road trains. I was never fortunate enough to see one though. :frowning:ā€

Spardo:

DeanB:

Thanks Dean, it occurs to me that, to the unknowledgeable eye, a person might mistake that Rotinoff with what looks like a big T on the grill, for a Mighty Antar. :unamused: :laughing:

Wonder what all the sheets were for though, I never remember having to keep cows in the dark. :astonished:

And to Peterm

Thanks Patrick. Hard to tell from the photo, but I wouldnā€™t fancy taking it through Rotherhithe tunnel. :wink:

Nor me, I remember my first time through there, with an AEC 8-legger, and terrified that I would lose my mirror on one of the oncoming wagons. Scrunched up as far as I dared to the wall on the left. Am I really so old that the Blackwall wasnā€™t built in those days? Of course not, so why was the Rotherhithe 2-way? Or did I dream it. :confused:

I did it in a Foden eight legger :laughing: Good job their were no pedestrians. The old Blackwall tunnel was open and Iā€™m sure I remember the new one being open in the late 60ā€™s, but Iā€™ve been known to be wrong.

peterm:

Spardo:

DeanB:

And to Peterm

I did it in a Foden eight legger :laughing: Good job their were no pedestrians. The old Blackwall tunnel was open and Iā€™m sure I remember the new one being open in the late 60ā€™s, but Iā€™ve been known to be wrong.

Youā€™re not wrong, and neither was I, they were both open before or just after 1900, and old as I am, I donā€™t predate that.

But the question remains, why did we subject ourselves to that? :open_mouth: :unamused:

We all had to start somewhere but what make is it ? anyone know Buzzer.

Buzzer:
We all had to start somewhere but what make is it ? anyone know Buzzer.

Austin 20 horse I think.
Bernard

A couple of A E Evansā€™ AECs in Sheffield depot.
Photos courtesy of POD Robinson.

evans4.jpg

An old garage scene nmp, Buzzer

Blackwall tunnel
,in 1963 i used to stay in the seamanā€™s mission in popular and we used the 15 bus to canning town round about turn right to the docksā€¦ if we got off early [the bus ]we used to walk over the blackwall tunnel road bridge and footpath a pub called the IRON BRIDGE was just over the tunnel approach road that we walked over, to the canning town flyover there were 4 pubs one on each corner .so to speak, i have no idea if it was the new or old tunnel but it was defo Blackwall tunnelā€¦as 3 years later when you drove from whipps cross down to the tunnel i used to fondly remember it ,so useless info.dbp.

Spardo:

peterm:

Spardo:

DeanB:

And to Peterm

Youā€™re not wrong, and neither was I, they were both open before or just after 1900, and old as I am, I donā€™t predate that.

But the question remains, why did we subject ourselves to that? :open_mouth: :unamused:

In my case, stupidity. Iā€™d been through it plenty of time with my dad when I was a kid. I just got carried away. :unamused: Anyway, I was trying to remember when the new Blackwall tunnel opened. Anyone know for sure before I resort to google?

1897 PeterM,but only a single carriage way then,not sure on the second one though.

David

Couple more Rotinoff photoā€™s first one taken quite a few years ago i think on the Tyne Tees run in Stockton on Tees.

This was taken at the Thirsk Truck Gathering in 2018.

Chris Webb:

They look as though theyā€™ve had a hard working life. Fine machines. :smiley:

[/quote]
In my case, stupidity. Iā€™d been through it plenty of time with my dad when I was a kid. I just got carried away. :unamused: Anyway, I was trying to remember when the new Blackwall tunnel opened. Anyone know for sure before I resort to google?
[/quote]
I have read the inscription on the plaque many times whilst being stuck in the traffic & i.i.r.c it was opened by someone called Desmond Plummer in 1967.

Daveā€¦

grumpy old man:

Chris Webb:

They look as though theyā€™ve had a hard working life. Fine machines. :smiley:

Aye,Evans got their moneysworth out of them. They were hard work but we tramped all over the UK with them and the money was good. :smiley:

Iā€™ll put some more onā€¦

Two more photos of A E Evans AECs at Sheffield. POD Robinson photos.

evans3.jpg

dave docwra:

[/quote]
I have read the inscription on the plaque many times whilst being stuck in the traffic & i.i.r.c it was opened by someone called Desmond Plummer in 1967.

Daveā€¦
[/quote]
Aaah Desmond Plummerā€¦ never heard of him. Stuck in traffic? I never would have believed it with the marvellous network of roads in the capital. :wink:
Thanks for the info.