Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

oiltreader:
Brilliant photos Chris Webb :smiley: I’ve brightened up a couple, the shiny bumber on the Thornycroft would suggest it was newish.
Oily

Thanks for cleaning them up a bit Oily.Yes Gordon got that Thorneycroft from new. :smiley:

I have some more of his photos,newer stuff,will post them soon.

A good pic of the Austin FHK (presumably a 160) there, it looks almost brand new in that first pic.

Pete.

Chris Webb:

oiltreader:
Brilliant photos Chris Webb :smiley: I’ve brightened up a couple, the shiny bumber on the Thornycroft would suggest it was newish.
Oily

Thanks for cleaning them up a bit Oily.Yes Gordon got that Thorneycroft from new. :smiley:

We had a couple of 8 wheel Thornys at Hargreaves, one of them, with a 6LW in it was a dog, the other had Thornycrofts ) OWN engine couple to an overdrive box, drivers used to beg to be given that one, it was a great motor.
I hope I’ve got all that right, it was a long time ago and the memory is not what it was. :cry:

Some photos I took at 2007 Centenary TT at back of Grandstand in Douglas.It’s very cramped in there and difficult to get good shots.

tt20079.jpg

tt20078.jpg

tt20077.jpg

tt20076.jpg

tt20072.jpg

tt20071.jpg

tt2007.jpg

grumpy old man:

Chris Webb:

oiltreader:
Oily

We had a couple of 8 wheel Thornys at Hargreaves, one of them, with a 6LW in it was a dog, the other had Thornycrofts ) OWN engine couple to an overdrive box, drivers used to beg to be given that one, it was a great motor.
I hope I’ve got all that right, it was a long time ago and the memory is not what it was. :cry:

James Hare who i drove for in the late 60s/70s, had a couple of Thorneycroft 8 wheeled tippers.
they where gone by the time i started and replaced with Guy Invincibles, Both Jim and Dennis Cutting
who had used them reckoned they where well ahead of the Guys,but the Thorneys where a memory by then,

Thanks to Buzzer, Chris Webb and Ray Smyth for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Dashcam on the A9 Easter Ross yesterday.

I’ll bet there’s some on here that have seen this sign at Scotch Corner over the years.
I remember I was on trunk from Maltby winter 1979 and heading for a Penrith changeover. I was the last of two to change over there,the other four were changing over at Stannington,Morpeth. I had seen one of ours going south near Catterick but thought it was one of the east side changeover lads heading back to Maltby. The sign I’ve put on wasn’t showing at Scotch Corner so when I got to Bowes I found the road closed sign across the 66,and there was a hint of snow int air. Anyroad I turned round and used my two way radio to contact Maltby via Securicor network that I would be running late,having to use the A1 up to Newcastle and then the A69 over to Carlisle and down M6 to Penrith(There was no Newcastle by-pass via Team Valley in those days). I did this,not a trace of snow on the A69 and got to Penrith,with two Newbridge drivers waiting,so where was our other driver? Anyroad I changed over,had some snap and away home via M6/M61/Manchester and Woodhead,which was clear but with lying snow on the moors.
Next night I was told that the other driver,who was not well versed in the UK road network had turned round,gone back down A1 to Ferrybridge,over M62 and up M61/M6 to Penrith which I think you will agree was a long way round. :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
When I worked it out I reckoned it put an extra hour and half on my run,an hour up to Newcastle and half an hour Carlisle- Penrith,the mileage between Newcastle and Carlisle roughly the same as Scotch Corner - Penrith I would imagine? I had a Sed Atki 400 with 240 Gardner VWA 427S at that time and it went well… :laughing:

Scotch_Corner_5_-Coppermine-_1696.jpg

Hi Oily.
I see Hislops have a yard now at Swinton Berwickshire.Do you know if Spence Haulage from Swinton are still operating? They used to send two CF DAF artics into Wincanton Maltby every night to backload for Tesco Livingston.
Also there was a haulier on the Aberdeen ring road whose name escapes me.As you turned left near the Dee bridge and started climbing their place was on the left,red wagons IIRC and maybe had a bonded warehouse? Any idea?

Chris Webb:
Hi Oily.
I see Hislops have a yard now at Swinton Berwickshire.Do you know if Spence Haulage from Swinton are still operating? They used to send two CF DAF artics into Wincanton Maltby every night to backload for Tesco Livingston.
Also there was a haulier on the Aberdeen ring road whose name escapes me.As you turned left near the Dee bridge and started climbing their place was on the left,red wagons IIRC and maybe had a bonded warehouse? Any idea?

Hi Chris, dunno about Spence, did a bit of googling and find they operated from Coldstream Rd Swinton, the same address for the Hislop Swinton depot. Servo88 I think has been to Hislop’s yard so he might know for sure.
I left Aberdeen in '57 so memory is vague. The only red wagons from Aberdeen that come to mind going back a bit are A & J Mair, T & M Catto fridges also Wm Walker who are still going.
Oily

oiltreader:

Chris Webb:
Hi Oily.

Hi Chris, dunno about Spence, did a bit of googling and find they operated from Coldstream Rd Swinton, the same address for the Hislop Swinton depot. Servo88 I think has been to Hislop’s yard so he might know for sure.
I left Aberdeen in '57 so memory is vague. The only red wagons from Aberdeen that come to mind going back a bit are A & J Mair, T & M Catto fridges also Wm Walker who are still going.
Oily

Thanks Oily,It were none of them,just a company I saw when on me way to Turriff when on tanker work. Of course the name Lawson of Dyce was still going then int 70s. :smiley:

Hi Chris, yes I have seen this sign far too often, I remember one day in early 1963 when the A66 over Stainmoor was opened after being closed for 8 weeks due to the heavy snowfall that year I went over in a Leyland Comet loaded for Leeds, then return loaded cattle cake from BOCM at Selby, When I got back to Scotch Corner I was confronted the the the road closed sign so back to the old routine up up Newcastle and A69 to Carlisle and home which did not take too long being very familiar with that route. During the weeks of closure I regularly ran to BOCM at Trafford Park and back via The Lakes or A6 Shap depending on the varying conditions from day to day.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Chris ,… Not 100% sure but think the Aberdeen Co you were seeing would have been John Rhind Transport ■■?

backsplice, John Rhind lorries were painted in the blue grey metallic style of Charles Alexander but they did had some red relief, they were all part of the Alexander group.
Cheers Leyland 600.

I had this photo sent to me from a friend in Nairn whose late husband drove a tipper in the area. I have scanned the photo as a high res image and established thet the bus is GST 500F a Highland Omnibuses Bedford VAS5 with Willowbrook body which ended its days on the Hebridean Isle of Barra at Eoligarry,. The Atkinson I think is signwritten David Ritchie, Sand & Gravel, Phone 213 Reg No 8086 SF which all ties up Grantown not very far from Ritchies base at Carrbridge. Any suggestions who its original Edinburgh owner might have been, ? possible Dobsons Fountainbridge at a guess.
Cheers, Leyland 600

img322.jpg

Leyland600:
I had this photo sent to me from a friend in Nairn whose late husband drove a tipper in the area. I have scanned the photo as a high res image and established thet the bus is GST 500F a Highland Omnibuses Bedford VAS5 with Willowbrook body which ended its days on the Hebridean Isle of Barra at Eoligarry,. The Atkinson I think is signwritten David Ritchie, Sand & Gravel, Phone 213 Reg No 8086 SF which all ties up Grantown not very far from Ritchies base at Carrbridge. Any suggestions who its original Edinburgh owner might have been, ? possible Dobsons Fountainbridge at a guess.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hi Gerald.
SF was Edinburgh BC 1962 and it does look very Dobsonlike. :grimacing:

Scammell Routeman.

DEANB:
Scammell Routeman.

W t Davies Cardiff

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hi Leyland 600 and Chris Webb, I had a look through Ronnie Cameron’s Atkinsons and found this, a Peter J Davies picture.
Oily

Hi Leyland 600 in the Grantown on Spey photo the Atki appears to have a log loading grab on it which ties in with this photo which has no detail at all with it but comes up when searching for 8086SF on the net.
Cheers
Oily

Thanks oily & Chris Webb like Chris I thought the registration was familiar but did not expect an 8 wheel flat to emerge, I suspected an ex Dobsons bulk tipper but this may also have been an ex Pollok’s Musselburgh motor they had a few with two letter Edinburgh registrations obviously, then perhaps sold to Gibbs but unlikely.
Cheers, Leyland 600.