Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Thanks to Leyland 600 for the pics :smiley:
Oily

Thanks to Richard Says for this collection of Derbyshire wagons.

Derbys Richard 32897929380_651614f60b_rs k.jpg

Derbys Richard 31911372988_89feb07c6frs_k.jpg

Derbys Richard 26284831519_927b4064f6_rs k.jpg

Derbys  Richard 42915315045_e84516b712rs _k.jpg

Derby Richard 44066124311_23115cd3dbrs _k.jpg

Derby Richard 38210402121_725e849813 rs _k.jpg

Derby Richard 35245131082_0581cd2280_rs k.jpg

Derby Richard 24010567877_95c9845f65 rs _k.jpg

Leyland600:
Hi coomsey, the odd looking cab on this Atkinson looks like a New Zealand built Taylor Hull cab. These were strengthened cabs that were able to withstand travel on unsealed roads which were quite common in NZ a few years back, the Walton le Dale built Atki cabs just shook themselves to pieces.
Here are a couple of photo I took in the Bill Richardson Museum at Invercargill back in 2007 showing a Taylor Hull cab alongside a Walton le Dale example.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Thought it was down under machine L600. Doesn’t say a lot for your product if someone has to improve it but then they were designed for home. I know which one I’d take for looks though.cheers coomsey

An interesting picture from Liverpool, probably from about 1954. The Liverpool Overhead Railway
from Dingle to Seaforth ended in 1956, A couple of flat lorries and a steamer ballast tractor and
trailer on the Dock Road. The Standard Vanguard car has a Royal Air Force number plate. Ray Smyth.

Not lorries, but the Standard in the last pic’ reminded me of a trip to the breakers at Marlpit Lane in Coulsdon, for a bit for my Humber. I saw a great stack of timber crates at the back of the yard and asked what was in them. The bloke said Standard Vanguard engines, we bought them off the RAF for spares, but couldn’t sell them because the buggers never wore out. :slight_smile:

peterm:
Not lorries, but the Standard in the last pic’ reminded me of a trip to the breakers at Marlpit Lane in Coulsdon, for a bit for my Humber. I saw a great stack of timber crates at the back of the yard and asked what was in them. The bloke said Standard Vanguard engines, we bought them off the RAF for spares, but couldn’t sell them because the buggers never wore out. :slight_smile:

Indeed, a great car. my first 2 cars were phase 1 Vanguards. the beetle backs, each bought for a fiver, and although the bodies were falling apart (I got fined because of the hole in the wing) the engines were great. When the 2nd one’s body would serve no more I raced it at Long Eaton stadium with a scaffolding cage inside. A few of us were paid appearance money to race at a stadium near Doncaster, I think it was, so up the M1 we went, trailers whipping from side to side. :unamused:

I came back without mine, got crammed into tensioned steel hawsers which sliced through the engine like a cheese cutter. :unamused:

I always thought the Phase 2, like the one in the picture, didn’t look right with that American styled winged back end, but lots disagreed with me. :smiley:

peterm:

The same 4 cylinder diesel engine powers the little Grey Ferguson TEF20 tractor,many still in use today all over the world,found 2 here in Portugal 2 weeks ago,both 1954 build!

David

5thwheel:

peterm:

The same 4 cylinder diesel engine powers the little Grey Ferguson TEF20 tractor,many still in use today all over the world,found 2 here in Portugal 2 weeks ago,both 1954 build!

Mine had petrol engines, did they fit them with diesels way back in the '50s? But mention of the little grey Fergies reminds me there is a town in the outback of New South Wales which has a monument to that tractor. Apparently it is credited with saving the town from floods at an earlier time. :smiley:

A lady I know up in Orkney her father was the Ferguson salesman for Scarth’s the Fergie agent for the North Isles, when he sold 1514 tractors in Orkney and Shetland between 1948 to 1954. I reckon about one third of them still exist either in preservation or in working mode on small crofts etc. Most of the preserved tractors are kept in bird proof sheds to prevent droppings on the paintwork. When visiting the Kirkwall Vintage Club rally most of the registration number plates are almost consecutive.
Cheers Leyland 600.

IMG_5897.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

5thwheel:

peterm:

David

In 1959 I went to do my National Sevice and my trade was a tractor opperator machanic which involved a mechanic’s course and a plant operaters course training on operators Cattepiller D *'s and the like plus graders,concrete mixers and the like.The training was 6 weeks square bashing at Bridgenorth then the mechanics course at Weeton and back to the Midlands at Wellsbourne.Then went on to Lynham on a big concrete mixer a putting Concrete hard standings down.No parades as we were too busy or ■■■■■■■ was lucky to get on that trade as I thought I might be a medic.But as the National Sevice was coming to an end I was made redundent after 18months so I must have cost a lot of money for the public ■■■■■.We plant men used to go as second man mostly on a Mataodor and one trip pulling a D8 on a low loader we went to an Airforce Station which I’ve been to trying to remember where, but we called at a pub for a pint and on to our destination.We were too late for the main dining but the cooks gave us an all day breakfast and we than went to the local pub in the Mat. for a good night out with the locals.Coming back to the Vanguards we did our training on Vanguards and what suprised me was that you could move the cylinder liners round to change the trust side

CLAVERDON 1960.jpg

Spardo:

5thwheel:

peterm:

Mine had petrol engines, did they fit them with diesels way back in the '50s? But mention of the little grey Fergies reminds me there is a town in the outback of New South Wales which has a monument to that tractor. Apparently it is credited with saving the town from floods at an earlier time. :smiley:

They certainly did Spardo,as I said Ive seen 2 in central Portugal,presently negotiating for the purchase of a '54 Ferguson 20,or a '62 Massey Ferguson 35,both or either for full nut and bolt restoration,the 54 powered by a Standard diesel while the '62 is powered by a Perkins diesel.

David

Ref Standard Vanguards.
Still wandering around Burnham on Sea.

pyewacket947v:
Ref Standard Vanguards.
Still wandering around Burnham on Sea.

Oh lovely, I know I was banging on about disapproving of the fins on the Phase 2 because they seemed to be half a job, but I had forgotten how really American the Phase 1 was in its body style. Tales me right back. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Same colour as mine too. :smiley:

Thanks to Ray Smyth, Leyland 600, rastone and pyewacket947v for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
A variety thanks to Kentishphil.

Standard Vanguard Kentishphil cc by nc sa 2.0 40061951312_039a882f4f_KP o.jpg

Round the shires.
Oily

Lancs Transpot Pixels cc by 2.0 33535419943_7a8de90933_TP k.jpg

Lancs Richard 42662424684_4dcceccac1 rs _o.jpg

OT 43594588870_373194935d_o.jpg

Lancs eastleighbusman 42261802115_0726da171c elbm _k.jpg

One to tickle Roberts ERF ngs taste buds, cheers Buzzer

It’s a 1966 AEC Mk5 Buzzer.

Buzzer:
One to tickle Roberts ERF ngs taste buds, cheers Buzzer

Ah yes Buzzer! The 6x4 AEC Mammoth Major Mk 5 draw-bar outfit with 205 bhp, sleeper cab and diff-locks driven by the late Gordon Pearce for Asian Transport (later Astran). Robert

I found these pictures yesterday when I was up in the attic to bring down the Christmas decorations.
The pictures are from about 1998, at the annual steam gathering at Grappenhall, near Warrington.
A regular visitor to Grappenhall was Fred Dibnah (RIP). Click on twice for better image.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Some photos of Talbot Transport Sheffield,sent to me by my old 86 year owd pal Gordon Howarth.I don’t think I’ve posted them on here before………………… :neutral_face:

Talbot Transport,along with Rivelin Valley Transport were taken over by Robert Earl Transport Ltd,Greenland Rd., Sheffield 9.

talbot7.jpg

talbot6.jpg

talbot.jpg

Brilliant photos Chris Webb :smiley: I’ve brightened up a couple, the shiny bumber on the Thornycroft would suggest it was newish.
Oily

Chris Webb talbot7.jpg

Chris Webb talbot6.jpg