Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

What a marvellous atmospheric picture. I can just imagine that must have been quite an experience during the wartime blackout, with possible bombing going on in the nearby towns en route all the way up the A1 to Edinburgh from the Kent mills. At least the blackout marking over the radiator would have provided a little miserable warmth in an otherwise freezing cab.

ebay.co.uk/itm/M20-Truck-Ph … Swr4ZbyQYI

PRESTON GUILD,TRADES PROCESSION,01.09.12 041.JPG

PRESTON GUILD,TRADES PROCESSION,01.09.12 078.JPG

Ray Smyth:
This German artic looks like a containerised removal lorry. It was parked on the beach
at Mojacar, Spain, September 2018. Just to the rear of the lorry is Kontiki Restaurant.
From the late 1970s, and for many years thereafter, the restaurant was owned and run
by Gordon Goody (RIP), the last of the “Great Train Robbers” of 1963. He lived the last
few years of his life in the little village of Bedar.

Ray Smyth.

Looks like a car transporter to me.

Thanks to ERF-NGC-European, DEANB, rastone and Jakdaw for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Transconti the flavour of the day.
Oily

fORD tRANSCONTI rONNIE 4440584668_c4786715de_rcc o.jpg

fORD tRANSSCONTI ajb rONNIE 5660025927_7165f82391_rcc o.jpg

Ford Mancbranch cc by 2.036346250600_3b85c3a84b_mbo.jpg

Well,seeing as we are on a Transcon theme,this was mine…………

mfs53.jpg

Austrian Scania 110.

IMG_20181027_232150.jpg

Thanks to Chris Webb, DEANB and kevmac47 for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

These with permission and thanks to Dave Fawcett.

oiltreader:
Thanks to Chris Webb, DEANB and kevmac47 for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

These with permission and thanks to Dave Fawcett.

Fantastic pictures Oiltreader! Thanks for getting the permission to post them.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Chris Webb:

stevejones:
well chris canada upto 50 ton basically but gross running into usa is only 80.000ibs some exceptions on that but 99per cent you only allowed 40ton gross

Thanks Steve. Does that just apply to a five axled artic? Do you run double bottom outfits in Canada and would the gross be higher than 50 tons?
I know the separate states in US can be a pain with different weights allowed,I was told California was the worst.

80,000lbs GVW in the USA for 3+2 go anywhere outfits, some of the Western States allow Triaxles to run at higher weights, some allow B trains at 140,000lbs, I think it’s only the Dakotas, Montana, Nebraska and Idaho, but there may be more. Utah and Nevada run some multi axle stuff, but I’m not sure of the GVW they allow,

The Pacific Northwest has some weird 4axle units and 4axle trailer outfits for heavier weights, if they run into Canada and have to lift the 4th axle on unit and trailer and run as 3+3. Then there’s Michigan and South Dakota that run those mad multi axle jobbies. Anything other than 80,000lbs on 5axles is going to require permits though.

Canada its 39,500kgs on 5axles, 3+2, 46,500kgs on 6axles, 3+3 and 63,500kgs for B trains and turnpike doubles.

Here’s mine at 63,500kgs. 9axles, 41m long. I have very tight restrictions on where I can go with it, if I don’t have a permit for it, including access roads to truck stops or new roads/bypasses, then I can’t use them.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

newmercman:

Chris Webb:

stevejones:
well chris canada upto 50 ton basically but gross running into usa is only 80.000ibs some exceptions on that but 99per cent you only allowed 40ton gross

Thanks Steve. Does that just apply to a five axled artic? Do you run double bottom outfits in Canada and would the gross be higher than 50 tons?
I know the separate states in US can be a pain with different weights allowed,I was told California was the worst.

80,000lbs GVW in the USA for 3+2 go anywhere outfits, some of the Western States allow Triaxles to run at higher weights, some allow B trains at 140,000lbs, I think it’s only the Dakotas, Montana, Nebraska and Idaho, but there may be more. Utah and Nevada run some multi axle stuff, but I’m not sure of the GVW they allow,

The Pacific Northwest has some weird 4axle units and 4axle trailer outfits for heavier weights, if they run into Canada and have to lift the 4th axle on unit and trailer and run as 3+3. Then there’s Michigan and South Dakota that run those mad multi axle jobbies. Anything other than 80,000lbs on 5axles is going to require permits though.

Canada its 39,500kgs on 5axles, 3+2, 46,500kgs on 6axles, 3+3 and 63,500kgs for B trains and turnpike doubles.

Here’s mine at 63,500kgs. 9axles, 41m long. I have very tight restrictions on where I can go with it, if I don’t have a permit for it, including access roads to truck stops or new roads/bypasses, then I can’t use them.

Nice outfit Newmercman, but that looks like an A-train to me, am I right? And can you explain what a turnpike double is please? Also, does the boss insist on having the aerofoil down in order to show the company name, or had you just been running with a flat?

On the subject of A versus B trains, can anyone explain why B is the norm and A old fashioned? IMO As follow much better round corners, so what is the point of a B? Obviously I have never driven a B, but I have seen them on corners and needing splitting and re-connecting.

A turnpike double is two 53ft trailers in an A train configuration. A B train removes one articulation point and usually comprises of a triaxle with a 5th wheel over the axles pulling a tandem. The turnpike double offers more cubic capacity and most firms use them to run two trailers that are going to or coming from the USA. I can pull two trailers that can be loaded so that they’re at 80,000lbs GVW when running single into the States.

There is no aerofoil on that truck and the boss is me, with the rest of the blunt surfaces and sticky out bits on the classic long nose trucks, a roof spoiler is not going to do much good, a bit like putting lipstick on a pig, so I didn’t bother.

newmercman:
A turnpike double is two 53ft trailers in an A train configuration. A B train removes one articulation point and usually comprises of a triaxle with a 5th wheel over the axles pulling a tandem. The turnpike double offers more cubic capacity and most firms use them to run two trailers that are going to or coming from the USA. I can pull two trailers that can be loaded so that they’re at 80,000lbs GVW when running single into the States.

There is no aerofoil on that truck and the boss is me, with the rest of the blunt surfaces and sticky out bits on the classic long nose trucks, a roof spoiler is not going to do much good, a bit like putting lipstick on a pig, so I didn’t bother.

Thanks, I got fooled by the light and dark shade of the sleeper roof. So the Turnpike Double is a bit like an old fashioned Aussie road train, but without the 3rd trailer, all A-frames.

Still can’t see the advantage of the Bs though. :unamused:

Chris Webb:

I bet you missed the old MK111 MM8 at Evans when you got that Chris :wink:

ramone:

Chris Webb:

I bet you missed the old MK111 MM8 at Evans when you got that Chris :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Aye,I missed it like toothache Ramone.
I had that Ford practically from new,for two years on nights regular.Brakes were not too clever when running solo which was very rare and it was like being at sea going over Woodhead because of the cab suspension.Apart from that it was a lovely wagon to drive.
I ended up with a Scania 82m when the Transconti went…………. :frowning:
Here’s another photo of the Ford with day shift driver tossing it off on Woodhead………looks like Corky Crabtree. :laughing:

And one of the Scania 82m…………… :unamused:

mfs62.jpg

mfs4.jpg

Hi Mark. The Pete looking sweet there, almost identical to the one you had with Paul Brant! Perfect explanation of A, B and Turnpike doubles.
Hope you are ready for winter m8, I’ll be thinking about you up north. I can’t imagine how I would cope with the cold weather nowadays.
Just going to take a dip in the pool before heading out.

Take it easy, Paul

I saw my old Paul Brandt one the other week, still going strong and still in good shape. The weather has been quite mild lately, quite different from past years, had a lot of snowy pictures come up in my Facebook on this day thing and here I am running around in t shirts and trainers still. It wont last unfortunately and I’ll be dressed up like Chris Bonnington soon, on the bright side, i wont have to worry about mozzies for a while! Be lucky Paul and try not to get sunburn.

Thanks to newmercman and Chris Webb for the pics :smiley: :smiley:

That’s a fair bit of kit newmercman, very impressive, you mention lower climes on the way and being a follower of this family I have a photo or to to share. The family Rempel (Dad, 2 brothers and Uncle Billy)l of Fort Frances, Ontario, log haulers and dyed in wool Peterbilt men until a couple of years ago Jeremy acquired a Kenworth his Peterbilt now piloted by Uncle Billy.
The 4th pic shows “squaring” the load by reversing through the rotating barrels.

Oily

JR Barrelling 28835310174_437dbbc110_jr o.jpg

JR Kevin Rempel 15265548129_806911e9bbjr _k.jpg

JR dad and bros 7535820790_2c28912841_jr o.jpg

Couple of vids… this one load squaring through the barrels
youtube.com/watch?v=xzwAxntvvgY

and this one of Jeremy Rempel’s loaded Kenworth W900L heading for the mill.
youtube.com/watch?v=EU4xbZgKjDI
Oily