Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Hi Oily, I cut my teeth lorry driving running through the Lakes and over Dunmail Raise in the early 1960s with an LAD cabbed Albion Clydesdale usually with 3 decks of sheep which even back then the road was not much wider than this photo and accidents were common, one in particular comes to mind when an Atkinson bow front cabbed 8 wheeler with livestock container ran away southbound, the driver steered up a track to his left only to have the wagon turn over onto its off side. I can’t remember what it was loaded with sheep or cattle. The wagon belonged to Richard Stamper of Dearham, Maryport who had a fleet of about 9 or 10 vehicles all good quality Leylands AECs and ERFs.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

img018_edited-3 Scan 240dpi & Photoshop.jpg

Leyland 600 great story yes it’s a pity you didn’t get that picture in Malta that would have been great

Hi Scantastic, I found this slide I took which is very poor quality due to poor light taken under trees but the Mammoth Major is still recognisable.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Punchy Dan:

Last time I saw it was in 2003 or 2004. Marmeth, in Nantua, operated many Willèmes in the 1950s and 1960s.

DEANB:

ParkRoyal2100:

DEANB:
Bedford Coach.

Duple Viceroy coachwork.

You should start a thread on buses and coaches,got loads of stuff about them ! :wink:

Hi Dean, With regard to a "Buses & Coaches " thread, I am sure there are many Trucknet members
who will have driven buses and coaches as well as lorries during their driving careers.
I did 2 years with Ribble Motor Services in the late 1960s, Ribble were one of the largest bus and coach
fleets outside of London. I have some bus pictures that I could put on the thread, and I know that there
are some regular Trucknet members who have suitable pictures worth posting. However, some members
may be less than pleased about pictures being posted that do not show lorries of some kind. I will be
interested to hear any comments regarding the above. Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Thanks to Leyland 600 for the pics :smiley:

D R Macleod of Stornoway at Uig, Isle of Skye, by far the main carrier of provisions to the Outer Hebrides.
Oily

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:

ParkRoyal2100:

DEANB:
Bedford Coach.

Duple Viceroy coachwork.

You should start a thread on buses and coaches,got loads of stuff about them ! :wink:

Hi Dean, With regard to a "Buses & Coaches " thread, I am sure there are many Trucknet members
who will have driven buses and coaches as well as lorries during their driving careers.
I did 2 years with Ribble Motor Services in the late 1960s, Ribble were one of the largest bus and coach
fleets outside of London. I have some bus pictures that I could put on the thread, and I know that there
are some regular Trucknet members who have suitable pictures worth posting. However, some members
may be less than pleased about pictures being posted that do not show lorries of some kind. I will be
interested to hear any comments regarding the above. Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Well having been involved with both PSVs and HGVs in my time, i personally regard Buses,Coaches as Commercial Vehicles,the same as lorries etc, except of course they are self loading/unloading.
All of them share a great many similarities,.

I certainly agree with your view pyewacket being in the same position myself having been employed and as an operator in both camps. I get a lot of pleasure taking part in the discussions taking place here on TNUK many of which can be linked to both types of vehicle. Had we all worked in a factory on a production line would we still be able to take part in a forum such as TNUK with all the banter and real life experiences related here some stranger than fiction but nevertheless true. After all many PSV chassis have been adapted for haulage use here in the UK and elsewhere whilst many PSVs in African countries for example are based on HGV chassis.
"Hold very tight please, Ding Ding "
Leyland 600

Leyland600:
I certainly agree with your view pyewacket being in the same position myself having been employed and as an operator in both camps. I get a lot of pleasure taking part in the discussions taking place here on TNUK many of which can be linked to both types of vehicle. Had we all worked in a factory on a production line would we still be able to take part in a forum such as TNUK with all the banter and real life experiences related here some stranger than fiction but nevertheless true. After all many PSV chassis have been adapted for haulage use here in the UK and elsewhere whilst many PSVs in African countries for example are based on HGV chassis.
Leyland 600

Very true, I had an Albion 4 wheeler flat years ago with a very long chassis and deck. When it was towed into Priall’s in Hereford after a brake failure they couldn’t find the right part. Turned out it was a bus chassis.

Which was why I thought I had power steering all of a sudden after loading some big boxes (for the 1st drop) on the tail end. :laughing:

Three for Froggy55 courtesy of Dave Fawcett.
Oily

French albiondave BT770WB Renault . Ex-Rallye Maroc 39018752230_8fec79dae5_oDF.jpg

French albiondave Renault SG3 . Bennes Marrel 25957040767_d5c384513b_oDF.jpg

French albiondave Berliet 560K . Helico BOM. Ex-Mazamet 25957000527_260b6e1b4a_oDF.jpg

A few from Ilam Staffs

Tony

Proper Atkinson from my youth! Robert

Hi Oily,
A couple of car transporters for you, not sure if they have been posted before, N.M.Pic’s, just booked up for the Dore’s trunk in May next year for a week, Mrs wanted a fortnight but if I stay that long I wouldn’t come back! Cheer’s Pete

CX00006.jpg

1965 transporter.jpg

2vsqech.jpg

rastone:
A few from Ilam Staffs

Tony

Morning Tony,
Some nice coach building skills in those pictures you posted, mostly all local registration numbers as well, 2 things you do not see nowadays! Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:
Hi Oily,
A couple of car transporters for you, not sure if they have been posted before, N.M.Pic’s, just booked up for the Dore’s trunk in May next year for a week, Mrs wanted a fortnight but if I stay that long I wouldn’t come back! Cheer’s Pete

Hello Pete, cheers for the pics, middle one give me a surprise :astonished: , any time I’ve posted that previously it’s had a marker on it. That was a cracking machine, had it at 2 weeks old and for 2 years, my buddy Alan Long(RIP) wanted back on a wagon and drag, same as in your 3rd photo, so swopped. That was me home for the night out case, Edinburgh drop then Linwood for Imps going south. Two of my children youngest and oldest(coming up 60 now) the wee boy became a lorry driver.
Oily

pete smith:

rastone:
A few from Ilam Staffs

Tony

Morning Tony,
Some nice coach building skills in those pictures you posted, mostly all local registration numbers as well, 2 things you do not see nowadays! Cheer’s Pete

Thanks Pete

Warringtons are still going which you may know.Good honest folk to deal with.Have some more and some of Stevenson’s interesting ( to say the least) but some of those taken by a friend of mind.There won’t be a problem of me putting them on but I will check and to confirm as there are some other local bus folk too he’s taken

Tony

oiltreader:
Three for Froggy55 courtesy of Dave Fawcett.
Oily

Thanks for these pics! A mason in my village still uses daily a small SG2 tipper dating from 1982. Nothing very exciting about them, but they were wery reliable and endurant. The yellow Renault “G” is unusal with its driven front axle; either a conversion, or maybe a former EDF (Electricity Board) truck.

Leyland600:
Leyland 600

Oily has said it before , if it has wheels, it’s welcome on this thread. Regards Kev.

Hi Kev, does oily’s criteria apply to bikes that we have to give 1.5metre clearance when overtaking or risk a £100 fine and 3 points on our licences.?
Here are some South African buses built on goods chassis I photographed in Durban and Pietermaritzburg in 1978. The ERFs were used on long distance services and often pulled a trailer with luggage and parcels. The AEC Kudu was a high chassis front vertical engine semi auto with set back front axle assembled at the AEC factory / ckd assembly plant in Durban and generaly used on services to the outlying townships on dirt roads. Apologies for the poor quality images I only had a small Kodak 110 camera at the time which was useless.
Cheers Leyland 600

Thank you for the photo’s on the last page Oily. Spotted in Reading services before the 100 years celebrations in London.

reading  dekota for 100 years of raf (1).JPG

reading  dekota for 100 years of raf (2).JPG

reading  dekota for 100 years of raf (3).JPG

reading  dekota for 100 years of raf (4).JPG

reading  dekota for 100 years of raf (5).JPG
Ade

reading  dekota for 100 years of raf (6).JPG