Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Punchy Dan:
Is that down the bottom end of the works by the stock heaps ?

Yes, that s right Dan, about 1970 i reckon.
I met Dennis in LOG one day on the first hairpin up into Ashwood Dale, he braked a touch hard and his dog,who usually traveled with him, slid straight off the engine cover and out onto the ground. It looked so odd it took me a moment or so before i realised that his screen was missing.
I cannot remember if it was the same day as the photo.
The dog was ok though.

Thanks to Stanfield and pyewacket947v for the pics :smiley: :smiley: had a Mercury ergo windscreen go one cold frosty night(moonlit) 'tween Aylesbury and Aston Clinton, didn’t half go off with a bang, luckily straight bit of road, poke a hole, then to layby and clean out, carried on to Luton, tipped and loaded back to Cowley frozen bloody stiff.

This one for Leyland600.
Oily

This one from New Zealand courtesy of Trev Jones, 1966 and a Mammoth Major, the load is peas, 303 bags to be exact.
Oily

oiltreader:
This one from New Zealand courtesy of Trev Jones, 1966 and a Mammoth Major, the load is peas, 303 bags to be exact.
Oily

Did you count them all Oily… :laughing:

Re the NCB AEC mark 3 mammoth major…my dad drove almost an identical one for the whitwick granite company Leicestershire from 1951 to 1964 it was plated maudsley it was plated HAY 492…excellent vehicle a tipper that lasted 13 years but sadly obsolete for the motorway age.

Some from the Past but now in the Present, having been restored.

oiltreader:
This one for Leyland600.
Oily

Now that 3 axle bus is a very handsome bit of kit. Nice.
But why no headlights ? Is it a restored wartime vehicle ?

Stanfield:

Hi John, Superb group of pictures…particularly the AEC Mandator Sleeper Cab,
and the British Railways Foden. Regards, Ray Smyth.

grumpy old man:

oiltreader:
This one for Leyland600.
Oily

Maybe it just didn’t go out in the dark? Not as stupid as it sounds, I saw an Albion with no lights at a museum a few years ago and, because it was a ‘daytime only vehicle,’ it was built with just a foglamp.

Pete.

pv83:

oiltreader:
Oily

Did you count them all Oily… :laughing:

Yep, weighed 'em and sweated over 'em Patrick :laughing:… not a problem in my youth, two fifty sixers on a stout stick and above my head, one shopping bag is a struggle today :frowning:
Oily

Thanks again to Stanfield for the pics :smiley:

Scannys new and not so new thanks to fellow flickrite eastleighbusman.
Oily

Some great pics again boys! Just got to love that Joyce Scania there :smiley:

Danne

A couple more from FB, Buzzer.

18740436_1729855117027893_6792649716149601641_n.jpg

Stanfield:

Hi Stanfield ,do you know who the former owner of the Dodge was ? its gota Gloucester reg ,regards Keith .

grumpy old man:

oiltreader:
This one for Leyland600.
Oily

Its a 1938 reg if thats anything to go by, Regards Larry.

Hi oily and everyone else commenting on the AEC Renown six wheeler bus with not the best looking Northern Counties of Wigan bodywork which spent its life running for Leicester Corporation probably on city routes at a low speed on city routes it is preserved now. One foglight or headlight was often the norm back then. I remember travelling from Preston to London Victoria back in 1955 on a W.C. Standerwick Leyland bodied Royal Tiger which was quite fast however the driver only used his nearside foglight even though a good set of headlights were fitted. Headlights were only used for signalling back in those good old days as many of you will appreciate. Thanks for posting oily , Northern Counties designs did improve after this ugly duckling especially some handsome Leyland PD2/12s for Birkenhead Corporation.
Cheers Leyland 600

Buzzer:
A couple more from FB, Buzzer.

Cheers Buzzer! Yes, this seems to be the only picture EVER, that we have of GEH 512N in Beresford livery. The picture was taken by Roy Mead and appears in the Lorries of Arabia series. Robert

The preserved 1939 AEC renown Leicester city transport CBC 921 lives at the abbey house pump museum Leicester I think it was once at snibstone theme park which has recently closed.

Thanks to Buzzer for the pics :smiley:

Steady as she goes, thanks to Alan Sturge.
Oily

This is an old shot of times gone from FB, Buzzer.