Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Spardo:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

ALICE SPRINGS 83

I wonder if the tractor is a subbie with no signwriting. I remember when I was there, 10 years or so before that a former driver turned up with his own tractor. It was a cabover sleeper like that and so unusual that everyone was crowding round to see it.

I reckon you’ve nailed it David, a subby. The KW is 8V92T powered, the air intakes being the giveaway and most likely RT 12515 box going into 44 diffs on six rod suspension.

Star down under.:

Spardo:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

ALICE SPRINGS 83

I wonder if the tractor is a subbie with no signwriting. I remember when I was there, 10 years or so before that a former driver turned up with his own tractor. It was a cabover sleeper like that and so unusual that everyone was crowding round to see it.

I reckon you’ve nailed it David, a subby. The KW is 8V92T powered, the air intakes being the giveaway and most likely RT 12515 box going into 44 diffs on six rod suspension.

And a Mini Moke cute ute.
Oily

Ray Smyth:

Suedehead:

The name on the AEC unit is FRIDGED FREIGHT, but the name on the trailer is
FRIDGE FREIGHT, I think the AEC signage is correct, but I may be wrong. :confused: :smiley:

Ray.

Love the front bumper/tow bar arrangement. British engineering at its best :sunglasses:

Star down under.:

Spardo:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

ALICE SPRINGS 83

Is this what you mean? Fitted by Foden in the mid 1980s

archive.commercialmotor.com/art … ounces-bad

Buzzer

Star down under.:

Spardo:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

ALICE SPRINGS 83

I dont agree David [Spardo] and SDU I think that truck was one that Noel reinhereted in the wash-up of him taking part of the company over again with some of the rolling stock calling it RTA and the painters being kept busy changing trailers and trucks before the arrival of 14 new Superliners.
There was at least 3 subbies who got involved one came to work with me in the West Kimberly operated and still has it a Cat powered superliner the others had Road Bosses.

Dig

images copy.jpeg

cav551:

Star down under.:

Spardo:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

ALICE SPRINGS 83

Is this what you mean? Fitted by Foden in the mid 1980s

archive.commercialmotor.com/art … ounces-bad

No Cav, that’s Kenworth’s (Paccar) own torsion bar (crow bar in truckie parlance) suspension. They were hugely popular and pushed by Kenworth in the '70s. Unless well greased more often than the rest of the truck required servicing, they had a high rate of wear. It was common to see trucks carrying a spare torsion bar behind the cab.
The system fell from favour when load sharing axle groups were pemitted greater weights than non-load sharing.
All the legendary Grey Ghosts, true 100 mph eight wheel Kenworths were fitted with crowbar suspension. These trucks were doing overnight, intercapital express on narrow, steep and winding roads.
ownerdriver.com.au/industry … rey-ghosts

Many suspension or truck manufacturers supply their own version of a six rod suspension, not necessarily called such. Kenworth referred to theirs as Big Six Rod, as it was a heavy-duty suspension. The six rod label came from the four trailing/leading rods below the axles and the torque reaction rod on top of the diffs.

truckcomponentsonline.com/B … c_367.html

:laughing: I remember Ian [SDU] hearing about the Grey Goasts but never saw one in the flesh the trucks that did similar express work here in the west interstate across the Paddock [Nullabor] were called Mack Munchers an all KW fleet at the time , I remember getting mixed up in a number of them leaving Perth and I was on my way to Kalgoorlie one night they cristened me The mobile road block so I got the message and found a truck bay well off the road . :laughing: :laughing: :blush:

Dig

DIG:

Star down under.:

Spardo:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

ALICE SPRINGS 83

I dont agree David [Spardo] and SDU I think that truck was one that Noel reinhereted in the wash-up of him taking part of the company over again with some of the rolling stock calling it RTA and the painters being kept busy changing trailers and trucks before the arrival of 14 new Superliners.
There was at least 3 subbies who got involved one came to work with me in the West Kimberly operated and still has it a Cat powered superliner the others had Road Bosses.

Dig

I’m happy to go with that, you know far more about that sector than I.

DIG:
:lol: I remember Ian [SDU] hearing about the Grey Goasts but never saw one in the flesh the trucks that did similar express work here in the west interstate across the Paddock [Nullabor] were called Mack Munchers an all KW fleet at the time , I remember getting mixed up in a number of them leaving Perth and I was on my way to Kalgoorlie one night they cristened me The mobile road block so I got the message and found a truck bay well off the road . :laughing: :laughing: :blush:

Dig

Mack Munchers were Cleveland Freightlines, legendary paddock runners in their Cat 3408 powered (see the humour? :laughing: ) Kenworths, cruising at 140~150 kph.

images (77).jpeg
images (77).jpeg

I changed the diff ratios in my White, from 5.28 to 3.7 with an RTO 12513, what a difference!
It changed the top speed from 99 kph to a bee’s ■■■■ under 160 kph. :open_mouth: As a young fella, I had to give it a crack. I don’t know how those old blokes maintained such high speeds on the coast roads. It was stressful enough on the flat, open Lansborough Highway.

au038mack.jpg

@Dig & @SDU

I’m happy to go with that, you know far more about that sector than I.

Me too, I was just wondering, knowing how Noel was keen to plaster his name everywhere. :smiley:

Buzzer

349181085_643927613838236_2310357667378420065_n.jpg

Buzzer

A fine Gibraltar Leyland.

Thanks to Suedehead, Dennis Javelin, Buzzer, DIG, Star down under and Les Sylphides for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: also Spardo, cav551 and Star down under for the links :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
From the Heilans

TKN Flr Livestock Highland IMG_6444.jpg

mizzo:

oiltreader:
Thanks to Kempston, kevmac47, mizzo, mushroomman, Buzzer and lurpak for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The mizzo Helmsdale photo looks like it could have Rapson connections.

Tennant Atkinson this years Highland Road Run.
Oily

The Leyland Martian was parked opposite LSH Transport on Shore Street Oily, no doubt retired now the ‘Braes’ are by-passed, regards, Mizzo.

Thanks mizzo :smiley: , have to say wasn’t aware of them and havn’t been up the 9 since the Berridale improvements.
Oily

Buzzer

349642613_1066872260953608_1605337417009618824_n.jpg

Buzzer. wonder what engine she got in her :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Buzzer

Who remembers this advert was it ESSO ? IIRC you could collect a tiger tail to tie to you areal was I right, Buzzer

350272986_1450727992445191_1508063854982673739_n.jpg