Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

oiltreader:
Old Albion in OZ with what looks like a tucker bag.
Oily

That’s a canvas water bag. As the water seeps through the material, it evaporates, cooling the contents. Crude refrigeration.

Star down under.:

oiltreader:
Oily

That’s a canvas water bag. As the water seeps through the material, it evaporates, cooling the contents. Crude refrigeration.

■■■■, beat me to it. Must be the time difference. :imp: :laughing: :laughing:

We always had at least 2, one or 2 on the front bars and one on the floor of the cab, repeatedly re-cycled and topped up from large tanks under the trailers.

Tyneside

75534747_1017194442051363_6454537391817209702_n.jpg

Buzzer

336886896_973747650214019_1546652856772927714_n.jpg

336890202_1972401083119679_4652414034932239133_n.jpg

I like those pictures but can someone explain the purpose of the connectors on the bogies?

Spardo:
I like those pictures but can someone explain the purpose of the connectors on the bogies?

I seem to think that the pair of wheels on each side were pivoted to a central dry axle, and the chains drove the
forward pair of wheels. :question:

Cheers, Ray.

Spardo:

Star down under.:

oiltreader:
Oily

We always had at least 2, one or 2 on the front bars and one on the floor of the cab, repeatedly re-cycled and topped up from large tanks under the trailers.

I presume that you had the canvas water bags with the cork stoppers and not the aluminum screw caps, Gunga Din. :wink:

Memory doesn’t recall about the caps, but I think screw. The reason I think that is because my old mate George, he of the 100 mile ritual (pills, Beenleigh, water), used to do that while driving, so right hand on the wheel, reach down to open the bottle on the floor, uncscrew the Beenleigh which was jammed between the seats, reach across to the glove box, grab a handfull of pills, down them, swig of Beenleigh, swig of water then re-cap both bottles, slam glove door shut, continue. :laughing: :laughing:

So, as it might have been a skill too far with one hand and a cork stopper, my money is on screw. :wink: :smiley:

mushroomman:

Spardo:

Star down under.:

oiltreader:
Oily

I presume that you had the canvas water bags with the cork stoppers and not the aluminum screw caps, Gunga Din. :wink:

Buzzer

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Thanks Buzzer, I have no idea why some of my photos turn out sideways on here and when you click on them, they correct themselves. :confused:

mushroomman:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Thanks Buzzer, I have no idea why some of my photos turn out sideways and when you click on them they correct themselves. :confused:

Hi MRM I find that if you modify the size slightly they come out the right size, cheers Buzzer

Buzzer:
Hi MRM I find that if you modify the size slightly they come out the right size, cheers Buzzer

Thanks again Buzzer, I think that you have sorted out my problem. :smiley:

Crop Test.

CAPE TOWN. SOUTH AFRICA..JPG

Buzzer

Spardo:

It looks like a Hendrickson walking beam suspension, but instead of the walking beams being under the chassis rails, they’re mounted outboard.

Star down under.:

Spardo:

It looks like a Hendrickson walking beam suspension, but instead of the walking beams being under the chassis rails, they’re mounted outboard.

Thanks to you and Ray, I think I see it now, there is a single axle between those bogies and the wheels oscillate around it?

a v davey erf.jpg

Buzzer