Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

In preservation in France 1919 WW1 USA truck, credit to Dave Fawcett for the photo.
Oily

Any one jn to old American motorcycles, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Any one jn to old American motorcycles, Buzzer

American automotive engineering is often over looked and underrated in everything from motorbikes to trucks.
That looks like it’s an inline twin possibly even 4 ? as opposed to the usual US type V twin configuration Indians and Harley’s.

Buzzer:
Any one jn to old American motorcycles, Buzzer[/quot

I think this motorcycle is an INDIAN, because of the logo on the number plate.
I remember seeing the occasional INDIAN motorbike in the 1950s and 1960s.

Ray.

Ray Smyth:

Buzzer:

Ray.

I tend to agree, an Indian was very nearly my first, and only, motorbike and I recognise that long lever for changing gears by hand. I saw it at a 2nd hand dealer’s probably in 1960 and said I would go home and get the money. When I got back it had been sold, so I bought a 250 C12 Beezer instead. And a very good bike it was too although it broke down once outside the Basford, Nottingham works of the famous Brough Superior marque. They were no longer producing bikes, but instead still doing some very good engineering and, when I wheeled it in for advice, had it fixed in no time at all. No charge. :smiley:

Spardo:

Ray Smyth:

Buzzer:

Ray.

I tend to agree, an Indian was very nearly my first, and only, motorbike and I recognise that long lever for changing gears by hand. I saw it at a 2nd hand dealer’s probably in 1960 and said I would go home and get the money. When I got back it had been sold, so I bought a 250 C12 Beezer instead. And a very good bike it was too although it broke down once outside the Basford, Nottingham works of the famous Brough Superior marque. They were no longer producing bikes, but instead still doing some very good engineering and, when I wheeled it in for advice, had it fixed in no time at all. No charge. :smiley:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Four

Thanks Buzzer I never knew anything about this type until seeing it here.

Buzzer

This picture of a BMC van that Buzzer put on, brought back memories from long ago.
The name MANWEB means " Merseyside And North Wales Electricity Board ". Ray.

MANWEB BMC (3).jpg

For the Australia division, Buzzer

Spardo:

Ray Smyth:

Buzzer:

Ray.

David I purchased a BSA C15 brand new 1963 wish complete with full fairing as i travelled 15 miles each way work /home headlights both ways, the fairing made the ride a little more comfortable in the winter months.
The one below is a racing model mine not quite. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Dig

images.jpeg

Took this picture the other day whilst at the Stockyard Lorry park talked to the owner and he’s just put it back on the road

Ray Smyth:
This picture of a BMC van that Buzzer put on, brought back memories from long ago.

Indeed everywhere with slight changes, Ours was EMEB (East Mids) and they were big sponsors in Leicestershire of both Leicestershire and East Midlands petanque associations. :smiley:

BTW Ray I always thought it was Merseyside and North Western Electricity Board. :astonished:

Dig:
David I purchased a BSA C15 brand new 1963 wish complete with full fairing as i travelled 15 miles each way work /home headlights both ways, the fairing made the ride a little more comfortable in the winter months.

Same for me work and back in the dark every day, but with my older C12 model. I paid £50 for it on HP, a quid a week for a year and couldn’t understand why they wanted an extra quid out of me at the end. Despite my Dad patiently explaining the principal of hire purchase, ie the £ each week was to hire it and then there was a quid to buy it, I stubbornly refused to give in. Dad must have appealed to them not to go to court and he eventually persuaded me, very grudgingly, to pay up. :laughing:

My next venture on the road was £5 (cash :open_mouth: ) for my first car, a Mk one Standard Vanguard with a great big rotten hole in the wing. I eventually knocked all the windows out, put scaffolding in, and raced it at Long Eaton stadium. :laughing:

Buzzer:
For the Australia division, Buzzer

Photos 1 and 4 evoke names in Australian trucking. Noel Buntine built up a good business. And “Bertha” was Johanssen´s home made road train, one of the first I believe.

Spardo:

Ray Smyth:

Indeed everywhere with slight changes, Ours was EMEB (East Mids) and they were big sponsors in Leicestershire of both Leicestershire and East Midlands petanque associations. :smiley:

BTW Ray I always thought it was Merseyside and North Western Electricity Board. :astonished:

Dig:

Same for me work and back in the dark every day, but with my older C12 model. I paid £50 for it on HP, a quid a week for a year and couldn’t understand why they wanted an extra quid out of me at the end. Despite my Dad patiently explaining the principal of hire purchase, ie the £ each week was to hire it and then there was a quid to buy it, I stubbornly refused to give in. Dad must have appealed to them not to go to court and he eventually persuaded me, very grudgingly, to pay up. :laughing:

My next venture on the road was £5 (cash :open_mouth: ) for my first car, a Mk one Standard Vanguard with a great big rotten hole in the wing. I eventually knocked all the windows out, put scaffolding in, and raced it at Long Eaton stadium. :laughing:

David, I live on the west side of Wigan, not too far from Merseyside, and our Electric Company years ago was NORWEB,
North Western Electricity Board. With regard to MANWEB vehicles, many of them had number plates from Chester, FM,
and some from Denbighshire CA, and Flintshire, DM. Strangely…I get my household electricity from British Gas. :slight_smile: Ray. :wink:

Ray Smyth:

Spardo:

Ray Smyth:

Dig:

David, I live on the west side of Wigan, not too far from Merseyside, and our Electric Company years ago was NORWEB,
North Western Electricity Board. With regard to MANWEB vehicles, many of them had number plates from Chester, FM,
and some from Denbighshire CA, and Flintshire, DM. Strangely…I get my household electricity from British Gas. :slight_smile: Ray. :wink:

Well you learn something every day, I do however remember NORWEB but, like so much else it has long been missing from memory. Only one reason for this excellent forum, it keeps reminding me of so much from years ago. My power, all electric comes unsurprisingly from EDF and, although we have had a recent increase it is tightly controlled by the government to a manageable level. :smiley:

Your frequent mentions of Wigan for instance always bring back memories of my night trunk to ‘Heenzes Beenzes’ back in the '60s, or was it the '70s ? :confused: :laughing:

I may have put this picture on a while back, but I cant remember. It is Lancaster Castle in the city centre of Lancaster.
About 40 years ago in my early days as an owner driver, my main source of work was as a registered carrier for Rank
Hovis Flour Ltd. Deliveries were to corner shop bakeries, large wholesale bakeries, catering colleges, hospitals and
H.M.Prisons. This building back then was still a prison. The most horrible prisons I delivered to were at Hornby Road in
the Walton area of Liverpool, and Strangeways in Manchester, whereas the prison at Kirkham, between Preston and
Blackpool had a Butlins Holiday Camp atmosphere. I have just found out that Lancaster Castle was a still prison until
as recent as 2011.

Ray.

Photo0964.jpg

A friend of ours from long ago was a warder at Lancaster Castle prison, there was one room at the top of the tower where nobody liked to venture into because you could hear footsteps in there even when it was empty! :open_mouth: When they were given supposedly ‘hard lads’ from Mersyside etc who were a little bolshy they locked them in that room overnight, almost without fail they came out the following morning white as ghosts and as meek as kittens! :wink:

Pete.

probably the pendle witches windrush, done the tour there last year was amazed it was also the crown court as well…well worth a visit…

Australia, a few more pictures, Buzzer

gazsa401:

Took this picture the other day whilst at the Stockyard Lorry park talked to the owner and he’s just put it back on the road

In a former life