Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Thanks to Buzzer, servo88 and lurpak for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: also others for the links and info :smiley: .

Stories From the Road Museum AUSTRALIA
I’ve joined this public group on FB some great old pics and yarns.
Oily

Coal and Water means

Steam at Speach House

Ade

Buzzer

309099011_444475747777575_6302361354691181047_n (2).jpg

Looks like the old Woolwich ferry

Old ferry.jpg

Woolwich ferry.jpg

Buzzer:
Buzzer

That looks like a wartime shot Buzzer

308670250_138854995539624_3598183456615910345_n.jpg

I have to say that looks like quite a good job to me (apart from the bull bar!)

308954652_10160537824047915_3000171998249850325_n.jpg

Scroll down for my reaction:

Dennis Javelin:

Spot on Dennis. :smiley:

I noticed the Bedford T.K. with the F.F. insignia which would have belonged to F. Francis Steel Drums.
I used to back load 45-gallon drums from Francis’s for all placed ‘up North’ in the early seventies and I always thought that their place was in Lewisham on the South Circular Road, the A2. :confused:
I have just had a Google and it seems that their main place was in Woolwich and that they were making tin boxes for the army back in World War 1.

Dennis Javelin:

Used to love getting the Woolwich ferry, it does count as international doesn’t it :laughing:

Kempston:

Dennis Javelin:

Used to love getting the Woolwich ferry, it does count as international doesn’t it :laughing:

Well I thought it did, in my very early days of lorry driving. :laughing:

Is it still running btw? Must be almost 60 years since I was last on it. :smiley:

Spardo:

Kempston:

Dennis Javelin:

Well I thought it did, in my very early days of lorry driving. :laughing:

Is it still running btw? Must be almost 60 years since I was last on it. :smiley:

It must still be running because I often hear on LBC radio that it is “not running due to technical difficulties”. So I guess they are getting old and unreliable!

Kempston:

Dennis Javelin:

No duty free though :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Buzzer

Dipster:
that it is “not running due to technical difficulties”. So I guess they are getting old and unreliable!

Wiki says the boats were replaced in 2019 with 2 new ones built in Poland.
The previous (3) were built in Dundee in 1963, so 56 years of service, they might have been a bit rattly!

Buzzer

Kempston:

Dennis Javelin:

Of course! I often used to do 25 tonnes of sugar from Tate & Lyle Silvertown to Andorra. I always used to say that the Woolage Ferry was my first leg ‘over the water’ and that the Dover-Calais was the next one.

Looks familiar!

FB_IMG_16643708402780980.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

Kempston:

Dennis Javelin:

Of course! I often used to do 25 tonnes of sugar from Tate & Lyle Silvertown to Andorra. I always used to say that the Woolage Ferry was my first leg ‘over the water’ and that the Dover-Calais was the next one.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, I can now claim to have done international work. :laughing:

Franglais:

Dipster:
that it is “not running due to technical difficulties”. So I guess they are getting old and unreliable!

Wiki says the boats were replaced in 2019 with 2 new ones built in Poland.
The previous (3) were built in Dundee in 1963, so 56 years of service, they might have been a bit rattly!

And the new ones are suffering “technical difficulties” already? Wonder if they will last 56 years then…

who remembers the snack bar on the north side, done a cracking sausage meat cob while you were waiting late 80’s…iirc…

Anyone into camping? Need a generator?

Buzzer

309468354_5521048401305294_805766118186582810_n.jpg

Thanks to lurpak, Buzzer, Dennis Javelin and coomsey for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

TKN Flr P1000917.jpg