Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

IMG_3686.JPG

ERF-NGC-European:
Now here’s a question CF might be able to answer for us. When did London ambulances start to have sirens and blue lights? I’m reading a novel at the moment, set in 1959. In it there’s a road accident at which the attendant ambulances have sirens and lights. I remember ambulances having bells and no blue lights in the '50s, so when did the change come about. I’ve tried googling it and searching online but most of the references are for America, not here.

In particular I remember these Daimlers:

That’s a Surrey Ambulance Service one and I can just about remember those in service in pre '65 Kingston.
While from memory blue lights were fitted to all types of emergency vehicles before the Euro type two tones were introduced.So it was mainly bells then Bells with blue lights for a time.
I saw the first of the SEV Marchal two tones fitted on old 1960s Thornycroft Nubian aircraft fire tenders which we sometimes had in for service overhaul.
I guess that’s where the latest technology was introduced because at that time in the 1970’s we were often fitting new aircraft fire truck types with the American Federal Signals Corporation whoop/wail and public address systems as seen in any US movie in the day.Which caused some consternation among the public when we set them off for a laugh in Feltham high street on the way out of and back to the factory.
Now as common here as bells were in the early 1960’s and two tones were in the 1970’s.
So at a guess Bells 1950’s and early 60’s, then bells with blue lights mid 60’s, then blue lights and two tones late 60’s early 70’s.But think the French Marchal were the origins of two tones I think Germany among others was using the continuous tone siren type.
Also seem to remember the French also using a three tone air horn similar to the Swiss post bus.Maybe another Marchal type.

Spardo:
Is that a Princess, Franky, very smartly turned out, as is the Daimler that Robert put up? That was one of my favourite Dinky toys, I had lots of them but the other 2 favourites for whatever reason were a purple Austin Devon and a Yellow American estate car, probably a Ford. One which sticks in my memory but not as a favourite was the yellow dumper I got to take with me into Urmston(?) hospital for something or other. I was playing with it on the floor when somebody opened the door and trapped my fingers underneath. :astonished: I can feel the pain still, 74 years later. :unamused:

I remember having one of these:
qualitydiecasttoys.co.uk/pr … POT-ON-207

I wish I’d kept it!

cav551:

Spardo:
Is that a Princess, Franky, very smartly turned out, as is the Daimler that Robert put up? That was one of my favourite Dinky toys, I had lots of them but the other 2 favourites for whatever reason were a purple Austin Devon and a Yellow American estate car, probably a Ford. One which sticks in my memory but not as a favourite was the yellow dumper I got to take with me into Urmston(?) hospital for something or other. I was playing with it on the floor when somebody opened the door and trapped my fingers underneath. :astonished: I can feel the pain still, 74 years later. :unamused:

I wish I’d kept it!

Thoughtful of them to take the patient out and prop him against the chassis after rolling it on a bend. :unamused:

But Triang was not on my wish list. Triang v Dinky, tin v cast. :smiley:

Star down under.:
Dig, when did Sandfire burn down, 2005-6? First time I stopped there was on the way to Port Hedland, when I moved from Cairns. They were selling soft drinks out of an old donga.
It was always a good place to stop and stretch the legs and make sure no wheels had fallen off.

I

I think it was early 2007 around May they switched the pumps on again .

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:
Now here’s a question CF might be able to answer for us. When did London ambulances start to have sirens and blue lights? I’m reading a novel at the moment, set in 1959. In it there’s a road accident at which the attendant ambulances have sirens and lights. I remember ambulances having bells and no blue lights in the '50s, so when did the change come about. I’ve tried googling it and searching online but most of the references are for America, not here.

In particular I remember these Daimlers:

That’s a Surrey Ambulance Service one and I can just about remember those in service in pre '65 Kingston.
While from memory blue lights were fitted to all types of emergency vehicles before the Euro type two tones were introduced.So it was mainly bells then Bells with blue lights for a time.
I saw the first of the SEV Marchal two tones fitted on old 1960s Thornycroft Nubian aircraft fire tenders which we sometimes had in for service overhaul.
I guess that’s where the latest technology was introduced because at that time in the 1970’s we were often fitting new aircraft fire truck types with the American Federal Signals Corporation whoop/wail and public address systems as seen in any US movie in the day.Which caused some consternation among the public when we set them off for a laugh in Feltham high street on the way out of and back to the factory.
Now as common here as bells were in the early 1960’s and two tones were in the 1970’s.
So at a guess Bells 1950’s and early 60’s, then bells with blue lights mid 60’s, then blue lights and two tones late 60’s early 70’s.But think the French Marchal were the origins of two tones I think Germany among others was using the continuous tone siren type.
Also seem to remember the French also using a three tone air horn similar to the Swiss post bus.Maybe another Marchal type.

Yes, I remember French ambulances having the 3 tone horn. It certainly allowed you to know it was an ambulance and not police or fire vehicle.

One for SDU, DIG, Spardo & co:

flickr.com/photos/56546711@N03/15648671135/

(taken a few years ago at Wallerawang nr. Lithgow)

Taken many years earlier, the “servo” at Cape Trib:
flickr.com/photos/56546711@N03/6291012670/

Buzzer:

:open_mouth:

Talk about hard work…

Buzzer

308694957_5834674469876119_2013911600051978336_n.jpg

308722712_443142871244196_7544596808865539249_n.jpg

307979286_770699974223868_4582803995838713507_n.jpg

Spardo:

cav551:

Spardo:

I wish I’d kept it!

Thoughtful of them to take the patient out and prop him against the chassis after rolling it on a bend. :unamused:

But Triang was not on my wish list. Triang v Dinky, tin v cast. :smiley:

Those Triang Spot-On models were cast, all cars and trucks were made to 1/42nd scale so the trucks (ERF/Trader/BMC/AEC etc) were very large compared to Dinky etc. They were all made in a factory in Belfast which burned down alas so they had a short production run. Dealing with ‘toys’ I sold an ambulance to South Africa a few years ago, it was missing the doors and glazing but still made over £300 on ebay. brightontoymuseum.co.uk/ind … -On_Models

As I said before I worked on Princess Ambulances, we used to struggle to get the wheels off as the extra weight of the ambulance bodies caused the studs to bend.

Pete.

Windrush:
Those Triang Spot-On models were cast,

I must have been misled by those tinpot pedal cars they turned out then. :unamused: :laughing:

cav551:

Spardo:

I wish I’d kept it!

I’ll bet your mum, or whoever was kind enough to buy it for you, didn’t pay nine hundred and fifty quid for it!

Buzzer

Some Tractors from Speech house

Ade

Great pics Ade

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

What a difference the paint job makes, the 8 wheeler Constructor looks smart IMHO.

Buzzer