Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Spardo:

peterm:
While on things down under, does anyone remember Luya Julias? I remember seeing them around Brisbane in the 70’s.

Yes I remember them, I called them for a job during my progress north through Queensland. If I am not confusing them with another firm I think they had Leyland Ottos with a drawbar trailer. They were, in my memory, on some sort of local contract and possibly in dark, maroon type colours.

But I am thinking futher north than Brisbane, possibly Rockie? And I think someone told me that the founder was a Maltese immigrant.

Do I get the prize? :laughing: :laughing:

I remember them as being an orange sort of colour with Fodens. Of this one I’m not sure but I remember car trailers. Leroyd Rd is the likely place for their yard. I might try and get in touch with a bloke that used to drive for them, but he’s in a nursing home now. PTSD from Vietnam I think.

I hope I haven’t trodden on anyone’s toes here, but with thanks to the Historic commercial vehicles club you can click the link to this pic’… I hope.

hcvc.com.au/forum/OldTruck/ … uya-julius

Thanks Peterm, that was an interesting read.

Star down under.:
Thanks Peterm, that was an interesting read.

Yes from me too, it was. But the first thing that struck a chord with me was that yellow Octopus and trailer of Zarb Transport. That, apart from the colour is how I remember Luya Julias.

Talking about colours and logos, I was hailed in the street yesterday by Paul Gauthier with a shout, ‘comment tu vas Daveed?’ I complimented him on his latest colour scheme for his wagons, very smart, and he said yes, for 30 years it wasn’t good so we decided on a change. I demurred, it was always smart but now its better. I’ll try and get a couple of pics for comparison. If not me but my son, also David, who is visiting for a week between jobs and is always clicking away with his phone. :unamused: He has regretfully left Thailand after 6 years and starts a new job in Malaga next month. He has to be there next week though to organise accommodation for him and the family and the cheapest, easiest, and quickest way is Limoges to Stanstead, hang about for a few hours, then back on another plane to Malaga. :laughing:

Buzzer

297663693_10229549829549149_3475629671168275000_n.jpg

Not haulage, but I thought some might enjoy the 60s promotional film for JCB!

youtu.be/5xw7H7DWqmk

Buzzer

292724164_2388787674603139_7488182289824281146_n.jpg

297851748_10225218617785581_9083561151675009483_n (2).jpg

67898456_10157706576169574_7274955832352047104_n.jpg

I saw this van earlier today with the word " BLOODY " in its signwriting.
I hope that further naughty words dont start to appear on vehicles. :open_mouth:
I am no prude, and can swear as good as the next person, but, in my opinion
this type of advertising should not be allowed.

Ray Smyth

Ray Smyth:
I hope that further naughty words dont start to appear on vehicles. :open_mouth:

Ray Smyth

For some reason that I don’t quite understand Ray, I tend to agree. It’s the mild sort of swearing which should be restricted between friends whose tolerance level you know. I used to work with a driver who was very very religious, but like all of us some of the time, he needed to swear. So he sprinkled all his sentences with ‘flopping’. We began to look upon him as really rude, because we began to substitute a much worse word in our minds. :laughing:

However, bloody was not always mild, it was a terrible blasphemy in origin. ‘By our Lady’. Just as ‘Gor blimey’ = ‘God Blind me’. There are more but I may have upset too many people already. :wink: :unamused:

Spardo:

Ray Smyth:

Ray Smyth

For some reason that I don’t quite understand Ray, I tend to agree. It’s the mild sort of swearing which should be restricted between friends whose tolerance level you know. I used to work with a driver who was very very religious, but like all of us some of the time, he needed to swear. So he sprinkled all his sentences with ‘flopping’. We began to look upon him as really rude, because we began to substitute a much worse word in our minds. :laughing:

However, bloody was not always mild, it was a terrible blasphemy in origin. ‘By our Lady’. Just as ‘Gor blimey’ = ‘God Blind me’. There are more but I may have upset too many people already. :wink: :unamused:

Swearing like humour and, I guess, everything else, evolves. What one generation find acceptable is often different to older generations. Probably thin end and all that.

essexpete:

Spardo:

Ray Smyth:

Ray Smyth

Swearing like humour and, I guess, everything else, evolves. What one generation find acceptable is often different to older generations. Probably thin end and all that.

Bloody disrespectalble is what that is.

The Thermalite lorry lineup pic was one of my late fathers, their depot at Shepherds House Lane, Reading. I reckon that I rode in all of those trucks at some time, although dad had one of the Foden eight leggers as his usual vehicle. The two Comet artics both came to sticky ends, one written off in a head on crash with a Commer four wheeler on Oxford Road, Reading, see pic below, and the other burned out at Brownhills. The Commer driver was killed alas.

Pete.

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Well done Oily another century not far away now to make the triple zero .

Buzzer is that an Aqueduct in Spain I remember seeing one of those when in Spain in the 1960s.

Dig

297851748_10225218617785581_9083561151675009483_n%20%282%29.jpg

Buzzer

Buzzer:
WOW Oily you have hit page 900 with your thread a milestone for sure especially now we have the Australian crew on board, internet is a game changer, Buzzer.

Seconded, congrats on 900 pages Oily.

That photo of a Gillards Volvo rang some bells with me Buzzer, tho’ this was taken some years after i’d moved away from Langport.

In for a inspection

Ade

I am deeply saddened to hear that Judith Durham of The Seekers passed away yesterday.
Judith was an amazing singer and also a very decent, down to earth lady. Rest in peace Judith.

Ray Smyth.

Judith Durham.jpg

A beautiful voice and a morally upstanding lady. No need to appear half naked and no drugs, ■■■ scandals or anything else. We all have to go, but this one leaves a legacy. RIP Judith.

Buzzer

Ray Smyth:
I am deeply saddened to hear that Judith Durham of The Seekers passed away yesterday.
Judith was an amazing singer and also a very decent, down to earth lady. Rest in peace Judith.

Ray Smyth.

Me too Ray. It took me a long while to get over my Mum playing The Seekers every chance she got on the Dansette, but get over it I did. She had a fabulous voice.